What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stoned in the Swamp 2012

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
So right now you need to make sure that they are getting Nitrogen and Phosphorus. If you can get to your plants you can feed them once a week if the soil is not soaked the whole week through. If your plants are soaked then mix your ferts totally concentrated and drop half a cup or two on tom of the main stem. I really hope you get something that has some K or potassium in it. Any plant like MJ that has a healthy feeding habit and heavy flowers has to have lots of K, things like corn. SOmething with the ridges on the stem.. something about that type of plant loves P and K. Good luck with your flowering. Its not to late to hit the gas with a feeding regimen if you are happy that your plant is going to have at least a few colas to harvest.

Thanks for the tips Skullz. Right now I'm mostly letting them do their own thing, they love my compost. I've been feeding them with some raw sugar/molasses water whenever I get a chance, to help the soil microbes along. If I get a chance I may pick up some guano for flowering to use lightly.

Update time, things are going well.

Pineapple Express Auto(left) And Great White Shark x Mazaar i Sharif(right) ready for the wild. Lovely leaf shape on the latter. It's insane how much better these grow than the bagseeds, such dense healthy growth, I don't think I'm going to be growing as many bagseeds next year!
picture.php

Spot #7

The small bed. Pineapple planted on left, bagseed friend just LST'd on the right (haven't been able to train as much this year, the big ones grew too damn fast!)
picture.php

Cheese (left circle) and Critical Jack Autoflo (right square). Cheese has some insect damage (slugs I think). Nearly fun sun I believe, easier to access for me so I can water more consistently if needed.
picture.php

Spot #4

Big beautiful male. Would have been the biggest plant this year, the healthiest so far.
picture.php

Male chopped and mulched. GWSxMIS planted.
picture.php

Last edited:
The plant with two small tops. With the heat, I'm not surprised. Not a real loss.
picture.php

Spot #2

The bagseed in the regular mound I put out last update. Growing OK. Pretty bad insect damage though only the very top is unaffected, the lower leaves almost completely eaten.
picture.php

Went to check the tree mound and I believe I had my first encounter with these "stinging nettles" I always read about. Walking through thick brush, there was suddenly a sharp pain in my leg, but unlike a regular thorn scratch, it kept going. Very painful, looked like there was some sort of puncture wound or something on my leg, just a small red dot. Feeling went away after a few minutes I guess. The area is slightly pink and swollen still. Only hurts a little now. Does this sound like nettles? I didn't see anything that looked like them, but I was more focused on the pain. I turned back and didn't even check the tree mound, I am 99% sure it's dead anyway.

Spot #6

The best spot!
Didn't even put this plant out that long ago, doing fantastic! Confirmed female. Maybe the growth is this magical unlimited water supply effect that swamp tubes are (in theory) supposed to get?
picture.php

The other big one. Looks way bushier than last time, at least in person. Confirmed female.
picture.php

Anyone want to guess on how much these will yield? I haven't a clue, but maybe a 2-3 ounces?

The baby from last time. Doing really well. I hope it's a female.
picture.php

Quick update.

Spot #6
The baby in the black pot was a male, I pulled him maybe a week ago. Shame cause he had double in size from the last pic I put up.
These two females got some 5-10-10 organic tomato feed (w/ beneficial microbes).
The big one.
picture.php

Close up of top.
picture.php

The slightly smaller one.
picture.php

Close up.
picture.php

Spot #1
Light starved, tiny, but starting to bud. Who knows, maybe I'll get an 1/8th off of her? I would be happy with that. Also fed her with the 5-10-10.
picture.php

That's all for now, I'll visit the other spots soon enough and get some pictures. Maybe there will be more flowers by then.

Another quick update.
Pulled the last male and sexed the last females. I have 10 females this year. Made a little molasses + red pepper bug spray/foliar feed for the few of the plants. Damn spray bottle broke though.

Spot #7
Female bagseed (left) + flowering Pineapple Express Auto (right). I was trying to LST the PE to get better light for the buds, and I accidently bent the stem. So, I propped her up and I am hoping for the best, the bend wasn't too bad.
picture.php

Close-up of Pineapple
picture.php

Cheese (left, the bugs love this one) and beginning to flower Critical Jack Auto(right).
picture.php

CJ close-up
picture.php

Would've had more pictures, but my batteries died. Should be a good harvest this year.

skullznroses

Veteran
way to be persistent. your vigor and attitude that you can grow even with failure is a sure sign you will improve rapidly in the next seasons if you continue to strive to grow good plants.

I can tell you need to invest in getting some gen purpose soil to your site. Your swamp tubes are admirable, but they aren't high enough or wide enough IMHO. From what I know you need 18" that is dry at the top. USE PROMIX. You plants are soaked through and water logged looking all the time. As somebodies older brother said slowly in a whisper.. "they like to be dry, don't bother trying to figure it out"

Get yourself a female seed over the winter and clone it into 12 plants. You will be rewarded by seeing what happens to the exact same pheno in diff situations. This is a key step to getting your growing senses more finely tuned. Do as you like, but one female seed and some rooting power and I think you could do some damage next season.

Don't fuck with males if you are limited growing. I know "popping beans" sounds cool on the internet... but I haven't ripped out one male in the last 4 years bro, its fucking awesome. takes time, but not that much time

p.s. you might have some leaf spot on your plants... can't tell from photos

Most of next year depends if I'll be moving locations, if possible I'll stay in this spot. I'll probably pick up some promix (heard many good things) and mix it with some compost, maybe a few other goodies. The plants aren't as water-logged as they may seem, quite a few updates were during rain, crunch time comes soon when it starts cooling off and the water table will rise, but so far I've had no issues with it. I've had a few die because they dried out actually.

I tried a few different sizes of swamp tubes this year, and I agree with you.

I've already decided on fem seeds next year, the vigor, in addition to the lack of males, has got me hooked on the few I got this year. Gonna grow some nice autos, too. I want to give cloning a shot next year, it would make things a lot simpler. I'm growing tired of killing my best plants because they are males. Bear in mind I am on a tight budget, but I'm gonna do my best to make it all happen next year.

At spot #6 there is a plant that showed some spots/ yellowing on the bottom leaves, but I don't really know what to do about it. Last time I checked it seemed better, though. The rest of the plants were fine.

Thanks for the advice skullz, and GnR rocks!

Just a few shots towards dusk.

Spot #6
Both plants are responding well to the 5-10-10.
The biggest girl. She seems a bit darker, she was probably hungry for N before this.
picture.php

Her sister, looking a lot better.
picture.php

They both seem to have started putting out pistils, but it was too dark for me to tell properly. I will use this fertilizer on the others next visit.

Last edited:
Update.

Spot #7
Pineapple doing okay after the bend, still nuggin' up. Quite frosty.
Top:
picture.php

Side shot:
picture.php

Sister doing okay as well, not budding yet, but getting there.
picture.php

Critical Jack, Cheese in the background
picture.php

Top of CJ
picture.php

Continued...

Spot #4
Mazar not doing so great. Oh well.
picture.php

Spot #5
Very happy plant, just beginning to put out clusters of pistils.
picture.php

Smaller one, but budding nicely.
picture.php

Top:
picture.php

That's all for now. A small update in a week or two when I check the big girls.

skullznroses

Veteran
Your plants remind me of some that I have grown in a swamplike area in the past. The promix is good because it will dry out faster then the surrounding soil. It is also the perfect light and airy soil to transplant directly into. It gives the tender clones something to drop quick roots into when they are young and an early start is essential.

nice thing about clones is you can afford one good reputable seed and have a half dozen plants. get to know a variety better by growing uniform plants and seeing what OD variable make the most difference.

If your plants are 8" inches tall or so when they go out they outgrow problems like slugs and bugs faster

A few pictures

Spot #6
Big girl is as tall as me now.

picture.php

Top, as you can see she is just beginning to flower.

picture.php

Her sister, budding in earnest now, looking very pretty.

picture.php

Spot #7
The Critical Jack is a beast!
Critical up front, cheese behind (hardly even nugging yet).
picture.php

CJ main cola
picture.php

Side cola shot
picture.php

One more
picture.php

Damn frosty and has a nice stink to it. One of my favorites this year, I'll definitely be growing this next year.

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Looking good dude! CJ looks tasty as hell :) Looks like it will finish beginning of october!

Best vibes to you man!

Peace!

Thanks Buddah, I would estimate the same myself. Reading up on the strain it's supposed to be quite potent, and if she tastes anything like she smells, she's gonna be a knockout.

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
It looks like it will bro! :)

skullznroses, thats a great point you made! I would def ditch the pots and dig some holes and bring some pro-mix, or a peat based soil with more perlite/pumice (some sort of aeration component on the soil) and also some good compost, 1/3 each, and go the organic route. It's cheap to get an all purpose organic nutrient mix. pro-mix makes it easier, but its more expensive than mixing your own peat & perlite & lime.

Next year invest on the location, dig some big holes, 10 gal plus, fill it up with the soil mix and you will be pleased. If the soil is always wet, make some mounds. Take advantage of the bottom feeding. The plants love it as long as you have a lot of aeration on the soil.

I grow on a swamp alike spot, and will be putting way more work next year, making 25gal+ holes !

Also, if you find a keeper this year, you can try to clone it mid-flower and make the clone a mom, and by next year you will have as many clones as you want of that dank strain you liked so much :dance013:

ps. Check seedbay for seeds, best place around for sure! :) and they hook you up with 10 freebies instead of 1 like attitude :blowbubbles:

Anyways, you stuff looks great and I'm sure you will have some sweet headstash!

Best vibes dude!
Peace!

I'm definitely going to have a good plan and use all the things I'm learning for next year. Thanks for all the good advice! I like freebies, I'll definitely check it out.

Quick Update.
We just experienced quite a downpour, and the weather calls for 3 more days of rain. Hopefully the season keeps what it's doing and we get 5-6 days of 80's-90's and sun to dry things out.

Spot #7
Bagseed & Pineapple Express Auto
picture.php

Bagseed girl is a pleasant surprise. Appears indica-dominant, has some nice tops, and she's a decent size for how late she was put out. (Picture is a little blurry, it was hard with the rain) Now in flower.
picture.php

Pineapple Express
Smells heavenly, like some sort of exotic fruit, maybe kiwi? Delicious.
picture.php

Close-up, probably the frostiest plant I've grown yet!
picture.php

The buds are smaller, but she's still got some time, and whatever I end up with will probably be super dank.
From the side, goes down the whole stem like this.
picture.php

Thanks for stopping by! I'll be visiting the big girls soon, should get some more nice bud shots.

Weather hasn't been so great lately. This past week we got almost 3 inches of rain! Things are a little bit cooler now, and it looks like the storms are over, fingers crossed, and we'll be getting plenty of sun.

Spot #6
Pictures from a few days ago, about two weeks since my last visit.

The big girl, as you can see she is in a bit of water, this was after the first rain. We got a sunny day then more rain after that. The water was just up to the bottom of the swamp tube, which is no good. Hopefully things will drain quickly enough so she won't get root rot, but I'm a bit worried. She is the only one affected right now, all the others are higher up.

picture.php

Top shot:

picture.php

The smaller girl, she is on a bit of a hill in this area, so the water is not even close.
picture.php

Top shot:
picture.php

That's all for now. Thanks for stopping by :tiphat:

P

powerrobbie

I see your putting in the effort so good job on that my man but (not trying to be offensive, just friendly advice) you totally need to ditch all of those spots and just dig you a nice big hole that in a spot WAY sunnier then the ones your using now. I can tell by your pics that all of your plants are in heavily forested area and not getting nearly enough sun. Because of this your plants are water logged and very streched..... From 5 or 10 gallons of soil you should be pulling a MINIMUM of a quarter pound per plant but could VERY easily be getting a full pound off EACH one. Again not trying to be offensive but from the looks of things it doesn't seem like your even gonna get one pound and it just sucks to see a guy as dedicated as you not reaching his full potential. Once you find an awesome spot with full sunlight outdoor growing is easy my man. I live in a cold Canadian climate so the season is short but I hardly put any effort into my outdoor gurilla spots, I literally see them in their spots 4 times including planting and harvest. I use time release ferts that I give them twice so thats it for feeding and it rains enough here that I do not have to water them and I am still pulling at least a half pound of fire buds off each hole/plant and my holes are not much bigger than 5 gallons so trust me it's very easily possible for you!