What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Status of the Michigan Market

growingcrazy

TC is still the odd man out... most dispos are operating, and have been for a while. PA is paying attention to store fronts and if any complaints/altercations occur at those locations. So far it looks as though no issues have happened.

I can only make one recommendation on personal preference.

Stasis, if you need any help with anything, let me know. I am more than willing to help good people.

Let me know where you are.

Peace
GC

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Very Kind GC. Thanks. I note they are still selling concentrates. A good indicator of how cool the market may be.

All the various LEO agencies up there are prob chafing for a chance to shut em down. Plenny patients who need meds though up N, is my guess.

There are no concentrates being sold in grand traverse county. Fwiw. And the PPP is still 2.4k... And lower. Go outdoor or double ended bulbs in a warehouse to compete anymore... The market is saturated here more than most places. Facts is facts.

growingcrazy

There are no concentrates being sold in grand traverse county. Fwiw. And the PPP is still 2.4k... And lower. Go outdoor or double ended bulbs in a warehouse to compete anymore... The market is saturated here more than most places. Facts is facts.

It sure is. I am still surprised that everything from dirty brick to killer boutique is available out this way. The cannabis market also shows the demographic of the area. locals - tourist.

For the first time in 8 years I heard someone say "is that medical?!?". I had to remind myself that some people just are not aware of anything else available, except for what they have had for years.

FWIW, we all need to go greenhouse. :tiphat:

Also, we all know what happened/is happening in Gaylord... Where do you think those caregivers are going now?

If your in it for the long haul... Northern wine country will be the place to set up boutique style mom and pop. Keep the commercial in the city...

growingcrazy

Also, we all know what happened/is happening in Gaylord... Where do you think those caregivers are going now?

If your in it for the long haul... Northern wine country will be the place to set up boutique style mom and pop. Keep the commercial in the city...

M22 Wine & Weed Tours. It will be more real than some imagine.

stasis

Veteran
(this reply is partially satire - I make some of my $ writing, and mistakenly think I am clever, haha)

I tried to get people in Mendocino on board with 420 tours, and even though all thought it a great idea (I have a full business plan made up) no one was able to put down the bong and get off the couch long enough to make it happen with me. It is not a one-man job to get it going or maintain it. Especially, if transportation is included (which is a good idea)
Maybe here..>?

24 a p...? Indoor yes, I have been hearing same, from Middlemen. FUCK THAT>
not for AAA's - or a 69 day sativa - Period.

Might as well go back to "SNORECAL." Where the women have mustaches. And an AWFUL attitude problem. It is not elegant there, like Hollyweird. Ya don't EVER see any bikini's. Except one or two days in August. It's rough and rugged. Close to the real wild west, especially in the first week of October.

The hazy early autumn sun signals expectation. It is exciting and scary at the same time. I LOVED OCTOBER out there. The hazy sunshine angling thru the redwoods. Delicious. Even if your neighbor sux. haha.

NorCal May as well be a different state from SF south - . (JEFFERSON..!)

So, The same price points on Ganja.....? Yup. Hard to believe, but true. Same as when I left 3 years ago. I am surprised. Perhaps the drought was to blame.

Like Northern MI with no winter - just a lot of rain - and a REAL summer to grow in a greenie. How awful that is. It is more interesting on the W coast, believe me. When your nearest Major City is San Francisco, compared to Detroit. People find it TONS easier to be happy. The streets are filled with gleeful rich kids, and woeful arrogant yuppies. Yuk.

But, Surfing with Sea Lions, whales and Orcas up in Norcal is hard to beat.

Even if your best friend is a FRENEMY at best. haha. And people talk out of the side of their mouth as a matter of course. Just gotta find the "Transplants from Back East," who are not yet completely Californicated.

The only downside I can immediately think of is that my 15-round magazine Walther PPQ M2 will need those dang 10-round mags to be legal.

And MOVING IS A BITCH. haha

What I have found is that it is only A LITTLE different in the Mitten within the Cannabizness. Not necessarily the Growers, (who are way cooler in MI) but, the business folks - People do, say, and act the same.

It is the Middlemen controlling the prices. I personally have had it. After 12 years of this attempted extortion. I will continue, but my heart is not as in it as it was.

Time for new ideas. Or go to a better state. A greenie in MI is a recipe for Botrytis. It happens in NORCAL with NO rain from April 15 to Oct 1, you can count on Budrot and Mildew to take 40+% of your crop in MI.

There is only one way to do a greenie in MI. It requires a commitment of 60 days, almost always at home. I think you all know what I am referring to.

I was invited back to Mendo to stay with an old friend in a house I have spent lotsa time in, at the end of a dirt road, (across from my favorite Edible Mushroom collecting forest) who's ailing and needs help growing His (and mine if I go !) plants. . It's sorta stressful there, but beautiful as all get out - sure is nice to sit on the ocean and read a book for lunch. With no one in eyeshot. Norcal can provide.

MI's market is swirling the bowl folks. To say how annoying this is to a truly good grower is impossible.

Legalization could bring out a lot of new smokers, and a black market may thrive and prices may go up a bit. Especially, if there are numerous taxes making the price of bud high, over a counter.

OR the piece of shit market will go down the hole. As for legalization, we all know the "10 Bizness Douchebags with growing licenses" will not want home producers.

in order, from the CA sun 2013 - Boletus Satanas mushroom, SSH, GH Blue Cheese, Casey Jones,

stasis

Veteran
No more wallowing. I've been schooled by a friend.

Hustle harder, or else. It's a war. Against those making our lives harder.

Middlemen, Low-balling dispensaries, and LEO.

OK. Got the point..

stasis

Veteran
No doubt, KS...! Organizing is on the lips of many. Best I can see is concentrating on specific areas. Say a 100 mile radius.

It CAN be done. But, when I thought of that idea, in the corner of NorCal I was in, I decided most growers in the area weren't trustworthy, when it came to money. Self-interest always won out.

Some groups of old friends seemed able to pull it off. I was a tangential member of one such 'group.' They were very helpful to each other. Supportive. Helping out with anything from electric work to offing da bud, or even helping trim. Funny part is 90% of the time, they were groups of people from the Midwest who had relocated to NorCal.. haha

Mi is not Cali... I think people here would be down. And our culture is heavily steeped in collective bargaining. I would be interested to talk. For some things you might have to do it by the county , others might effect a region.

But I would be much more interested in protecting(or obtaining)our rights for full sun grown boutique cannabis and the right to sell it, than I would be in trying to get top dollar. Shit, I just want to be allowed to trade a pound for a butchered grass fed cow. Or a qp to fix my transmission... I have no use for money in that world. Maybe a roadside stand to pay my mortgage and I'm good.

I only started growing my own to save money. There were sick people around me who needed help so I began caregiving for them. I operate at a loss every month. But I get to smoke the finest organic herb available and I get to help people I care about.

Your herb looks great stasis... But days in flower and linage don't dictate price. Supply and demand dictates price. With Leo and legislature closing and restricting as many dispensaries as they can, the price gets driven down. Before Shutte told a large portion of the dispensaries to close in '11, or '12 was it, you could get 4k. And up. But when the dispensaries closed the market went black and us honest folk were left with our Dick in our hands.

People who are in for the money and not the love will not survive ten more years.

Love the plant, respect the plant. Happy 420! Plant a seed.

growingcrazy

Mi is not Cali... I think people here would be down. And our culture is heavily steeped in collective bargaining. I would be interested to talk. For some things you might have to do it by the county , others might effect a region.

But I would be much more interested in protecting(or obtaining)our rights for full sun grown boutique cannabis and the right to sell it, than I would be in trying to get top dollar. Shit, I just want to be allowed to trade a pound for a butchered grass fed cow. Or a qp to fix my transmission... I have no use for money in that world. Maybe a roadside stand to pay my mortgage and I'm good.

You are a farmer, not a business man. This is what we humans need more of. Also, pasture pork and transmission repair are both things I do well. If ever in need...

Stasis, we are going to win this. It is the great people of Michigan that are the difference in the equation than in any other state. I truly believe our state will turn on the corporate growers and continue to support the little guy.

We had the opportunity 6-7 years ago to buy a farm in Josephine county,OR. It was our dream at the time to live in that area. After spending springs/summers/falls in the valley, most of the good people were transplants at one time or another. This made us realize it isn't where we do what we do that matters. It just matters that we do what we do, and do it well.

I'm dedicated to Michigan now. My farm is here, my family will be raised here, and I will continue to grow cannabis here.

Grand Traverse Bay Growers Union

Keep on keepin' on, Brothers.

growingcrazy

A perspective.

~ 25,000 caregivers in the state. 252,000 signatures required to get an initative on the ballot.

10 signatures needed per caregiver. 10.

You want grassroots movement, it is this easy.

For once, the numbers may work out in our favor. IF we could get something on the ballot, it would pass. We literally have the opportunity to write our own law.

stasis

Veteran
I think we CAN get MI Legalize on the ballot. I;d be happy with that.. They did mandate 4 plants though, didn;t they..? Black Market is where I will always be - anything else will be a nice surprise. I hope. haha.

But - if the change in the 'schedule' of cannabis happens first, other things will happen in MI, maybe. Snyder signed the contracts with Prairie Plant Systems out of Canada 3 years ago, for this eventuality.

I'm in it for the love and I have worked over a decade to learn what I know. So, yes, it is more than a hobby. That;s just Me. I prefer the lifestyle, and I can get along with the boss. Me.

I will survive.

For all of two years - I used to get 6-7k a p for my greenie-grown Norcal OGK, in SoCal. Then up to 4800 for a couple years in San Francisco's premier dispo (at the time) for the same plant indoors. 3600 for everything else even in the Em Triangle, for one of the only 2 dispensaries within 30 miles on the coast. I have a bit of a history in NorCal and Here too (MI). Some of AMS's "heroes" were following me around for 2 weeks when I got an oz of greenie-grown OGK, and a q of bubble hash over there in 2006.

Just not gonna give away AAA's boutique sativas for pennies, that is all there is to it. That 3-400 a p makes a big difference to me.

Let everyone else pull it early. Check it out. CO websites too. Where this - the original cut - comes from. If ya let em go to 69 or 72 days 12/12 depending on season, instead of paclo use, and pulling a week or more early, it does its' SD magic. SD requires 70+ days, although it is a rare grower who ever let it go that long. This is a hybrid, Strawberry Cough dominant, in my opinion. Takes a couple days less than classic Clone-only SD.

If you have seen buds worldwide for years, & won awards in a very competitive enviornment, etc., tried everything from aeroponic to super soil outdoor organic, you have the right to claim what 'cha got. It is called pride-in-ones'-work.

I understand supply and demand. As do many here, who are using their heads, and not advocating passivity. Maybe because it is more than a hobby to them. It is a LIFESTYLE. And a Damn good one..!!!! Quite often people here who claim prices should be low, are dealers more than growers. Which is part of the game. Not gonna dance on the ceiling about the middlemen though. THIS IS WAR> Being a Hippie never got me anywhere financially. haha. Tried it.

Thanks for the input though. Discussions are always welcome...!

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Now adays all these "new" potential patients I meet and talk to the 1st damn thing out of their mouth is "how many ounces per month do I get for free"? I tell them nothing, free baggies is about it. I do give away certain medicinal items with every purchase. But wtf is wrong with this younger generation always wanting everyrhing for free? Fuck them, fuck the system, fuck michigan. Oregan, cali, Colorado are looking more and more promising every day.

scratch Cali...new spots that intrigue "some" are Nevada (if Nov vote goes well).....AZ......(HUGE GH's are going up yes it's corporate but a family farm can do REAL well with a small budget...and their are (other) benefit's that will remain unspoken...Washington state and COlorado have probably the best "overall system: for both hobbyist and corporate farms.

Just my 2 cents:tiphat:

FYI: I'm leaving Cali after being born here.....for Nevada. 12 plant limit but I don't need to grow more than that....I'll do (12) 800 gallon holes :smoker:

The MI legalize plan allows for 12 plants per adult.

Abrogate Prohibition Michigan plan turns cannabis into a legality similar to tomatoes. Then what? I think 1k will be average for top grade...
Prices like 6k reflect a black market era and you will never see it again... Except maybe once people are thoroughly educated and we have more connoisseurs... Then it would still need to be a 110 day haze. With a 6 month cure.
70 days is the norm. I often let things go 11v weeks. Most strains these days it seems. If money is important to you, then by all means... Run a thousand lights in a warehouse and make coin. Go for it.

Michigan's average income...$48,273

California's average income...$61,632

Not an insane difference(21+%)but as you well know, everything is more expensive in Cali.

Cali, Milk (regular), (1 gallon), 3.78

Mich, Gallon of milk, $2.07...

Gas in Cali, 2.43

Gas in Michigan,2.19

I'm not trying to bust your balls, get some double ended light and push. People are getting 3+ per light in organic recycled soil (CHEAP OVERHEAD). Now that $400 doesn't seem like a big deal does it? Not if I'm doubling my harvest... Hmmm makes you think.

I know at least a couple people who are sitting on pounds of herb just as nice and exotic as anything your talking about. I've also been a Michigan resident my whole life with only a few exceptions... One of which was living in northern Cali and Southern for a bit. It's just not going to bounce back like that. Maybe for one year when legalization hits. Then back to flooded.You seem like a cool dude, but I think you're taking this to personally. It's a sign of the times. Evolve or parish...

stasis

Veteran
Thanks, I think. A veiled compliment, or a veiled insult..? I am not a nice guy where cannabis is concerned. Not anymore. Tried it for years.

Take it Personally..? No. Maybe frustrated at the onset of this thread, but that has already changed, since I sought out the advice of some people I trust in the Detroit Metro.

I am just a professional writer, and I tells it likes I sees it.

Where one has lived their whole life is actually a limitation. Nothing to brag about. I'm glad I was in CA for over 2 decades..! Compare Haight Street or Market St, SF CA to Woodward. Good Luck with that.. ! And that period in the tropics for years. I regret those 30 foot waves I rode. The waterfalls I jumped from 2 days a week. Swimming with turtles as big as VW bugs. Living like a 20 year old well past 40...? And even now the same. Gosh, what a waste of time all that was..!!! I should have stayed in Michigan the whole time, I agree. ---please.

It's a BIG world. Lots to absorb. Some people are butthurt by worldly folks. Michigan is not the center of the universe if CA isn't. and CA isn't - no place is.

One is not able to judge quality, by photos, trust me. Every person who tries it rates it #1. I include hydro store owners, dispo owners, etc.
I am not the only one, it ain't rocket science. But it is the top 5% of growers at that level, worldwide. More out west, I suppose.

The word is Perish, Parish is a geographic boundary, with religious overtones, for substandard growers to go pray for a good crop - and after over 100 runs indoor, and 8 summers out west under the sun too, that ain't gonna be me. I work hard.

3+ per light of what..?
Sounds like a fishing story to me, like the millions I have heard running hydro stores in two states.

I guess this was gonna be a pissing contest at some point. So glad..!!! not.

I get average 3k per P. No complaints. The pound customers have dried up, and that is the change. They love their 2400 or as they say 22 (to sway the grower into lowering the price) 3K ain't bad. If I hustle. Which is what I will continue to do. More than ever.

1+p per 600w. Not too shab. A REAL number that I actually do. Everytime.
All of my economics are not available for a stranger to make a judgement. But, some of us are forced to live alone, and pay all costs - for security. Many of us know how fast that can add up to a large monthly 'nut.'

Middlemen like to bust balls of growers. As I said before. I hear a bit of that above.

Again, over a decade of solo growing in NorCal Coast, 15 trips to AMS, #1 in A2 for 3 years with a partner previously, I;ve seen a bit.

When prices get too low, because of Middlemen, and desperate growers keep kowtowing to them, it gets BAD. Period. Only Middlemen come out ahead. I talk with people daily of my ilk, who agree. We need to stop this lowballing if we can.

I can go corporate, I suppose, but that will prob necessitate a move, and i've grown to like this place.

Up north houses keep falling through. It;s a crazy market. Disappointing, but what can I do..? Been off the grid for a decade + being my own boss. What was I thinking..! haha. No biggie. It'll happen when it does.

I have a good contingency plan for the summer. Could be better (if i had an outdo place to set up a greenie) but....

Latest posts

Latest posts