What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Starke's Story: An LED Tale

starke

Flower Update Day 56

Flower Update Day 56

Eight weeks in and the ladies are beginning to wind down. I started the flush two days ago with plain .2ec well water ph'd to 5.8. That is going to give me a 10 or 12 day flush which suits these ladies well.

Trichs are showing ambers on all the strains with the Sour Orange Diesel being the most advanced - maybe five percent. Should be on track to harvest next week sometime.

A shot just before lights on:

picture.php

Peace,
starke

Palindrome

King of Schwag
They for sure look lovely and frosty thouse ladys!

I need to get to sprouting my last old seeds, in the hunt for something faster.
Would be very nice with a strain or two, that showed 5% amber already at 56 days.

My last crop was 14 weeks and no ambers, im guessing I gave the haze crosses too much food towards the end or something. Still get's me hella high, so got little to complain about in the end smoke wise.

Some 9 week strains, would just suit my grow schedual really well once the groffice is done.

starke

I've not grown out anything more than 11 weeks but am seriously considering some of the zamaldelica and malawi sativas from Ace, since the misses and I are big sativa fans.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
I have never grown the African sativas, the weed I have tried from southern african regions have always been very strange.

Visiting Wallyduck, he presented me some african genes he had grown. And he asked me to specify the flavor, and even tho I could taste I had tasted this a hundred times before. I could not place the flavor.
Untill he said bugs bunny, and carrot came to mind.

Was very weird to smoke, worked fine and got you high as a kite.

Once I get to chuckin some pollen, Id be happy to send you and the misses some long flowering sativas. The seeds I got are 15 years old and the sprouting rate was very low, but planing to polinate the Tohici99 with her brother after my summer vacation.

starke

Flower Update Day 63

Flower Update Day 63

Harvested the Sour Orange Diesel yesterday and the Liberty Haze this morning. Going to let the Hawaiian Snow, Super Lemon Haze and Juan Herer go a bit longer.

This will not be a harvest to be proud of as I have discovered a large amount of larf and fluff hidden under the canopy. This is a direct result of not being able to properly tuck branches in all places and to defoliate properly where needed. Hopefully I will resolve these issues with a few more minor changes in the room.

This will be the last update on this round. Next update when I have finished the needed mods in the room.

Peace,
starke

nickman

Veteran
Plants look nice from the tops. That’s too bad about all the larf... I hate that shit... I always shave their legs up pretty high... helps with larf and air flow... :tiphat:...

starke

I know what you mean. These ladies are naked from the top of the bucket to the bottom of the screen. Just too many places I could not reach to tuck and defol based on the room layout. Think I have a fix figured out though.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Growing is constant improvement, sorry to hear about the larf and hope it won't pull you yeald down too much.

Happy harvest and looking forward to see, your fixed and improved room mate!

nickman

Veteran
I know what you mean. These ladies are naked from the top of the bucket to the bottom of the screen. Just too many places I could not reach to tuck and defol based on the room layout. Think I have a fix figured out though.

That’s the reason why I can’t really use a screen, unless I made up individual screens for each pot ...!!!...

starke

Summer/Fall 2019

Summer/Fall 2019

Time to get back to buisness...

Just finished a tester grow of member browntrout's Trippleberry breeding project so now it's time to get back to further improving my room and growing techniques. After all the larf encountered on the last grow documented here in this thread, the following changes have been made:

The SCROG screen has been lowered four inches to allow more vertical height. The top of the screen is now 35 inches above the drain table. This still allows enough height for my old ass to work underneath it when the need arises. The screen has also been narrowed to 30 inches in width which allows me access from either side now for access to all areas of the screen for plant training. Length remains 80 inches.

The lights have been relocated and are now centered over the new SCROG screen and have been raised to allow more vertical height. In order to allow maximum height on the rear light, the 10x39 carbon filter was relocated from hanging horizontally near the ceiling at the rear of the room to hanging vertically in the right hand rear corner.

At present the lights are 32 inches above the canopy and according to my Solartek Lightscout PAR meter the center areas of the canopy are receiving 1100 to 1200 umols and the edges and corners between 750 and 900.

My unused six inch Hyperfan from my old tent has been pushed into service as an intake fan and is blowing cooled air over the lights.

Plant count has been reduced from six to four to avoid overcrowding. I am hoping that four properly trained and lighted plants will make up in quantity what was lacking in six larfy ones with the increased quality an ultimate bonus.

I am experimenting with a change to my drip halo feeding system as well. The six inch rings I had been using favored the inside of a five gallon bucket so I ordered some nine inch. The watering pattern on them favors the outside edge of the bucket. So the mad scientist in me said let's use both to ensure even watering. I plan on alternating feedings between the two. The plumbing for this setup is cobbled together from what I had available. If I decide it is worth the hassle after this grow, I will redo my watering manifold.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

About the plants for this run:

1 Big Bud x White Widow (Front)
1 Juan Herer (Second with varigated leaves)
1 Liberty Haze (Third)
1 Super Lemon Haze (At the rear)

These plants were intended to be moms but I changed my mind. Growing in Hempys I could not keep them small enough in spite of pruning and root pruning. Don't feel like messing with moms anymore since I really don't have room for the seven strains I currently favor so I have taken the clone as I go approach.

These ladies are approximately seven months old and have been in one gallon containers for the past five months. About six weeks ago they had grown into the light (again) and I unceremoniously chopped them off eight inches below the light with a pair of hedge shears. Picked an imaginary line like you would trimming a hedge and chopped away without regard to node location or anything else. Two weeks ago they were up-potted from one gallon to five gallon buckets, defoliated and placed under the new SCROG screen. They were still about a foot too tall so I had to turn them sideways to get them under it. Spilled perlite and hydroton everywhere. Drug the branches around as gently as possible under the screen. They vegged for the past two weeks and were flipped to flower this past Sunday, the 18th. Nutes are Jacks Pro Hydro and Calnit at 1.0ec and ph between 5.6 and 6.0. The misses will keep tucking branches through the stretch as I am leaving for the "Land of Lincoln" on Friday and will be gone two weeks. Planning on another proper defoliation around day 21 after I get back. Next update in about two weeks.

Peace,
starke

starke

The Experiment

The Experiment

So the tub in our master bath has a filler shelf behind it that is 49 inches wide and about 18 inches deep. Height to ceiling is about 5 feet. The misses blessed me using it for our favorite ladies so I have vegged plants and kept moms on it under a homemade SIL fixture. Kind of gives her the rain forest effect.

Since I'm no longer doing moms, and I hate having to cull perfectly good plants, I have upotted three plants that would have been culled into 3 gallon Hempy's and put them there. A little creative plumbing and they drain into the bathub. These plants were defoliated and also placed into flower this past Sunday. They were tied down yesterday.

Plants are (Left) Super Lemon Haze, (Middle) Trippleberry #14 and (Right) Hawaiian Snow.

These plants are going to be flowered where they sit. No box, no tent etc. The bathroom has no windows and the door is located about 12 feet from the plants. I taped a piece of panda film to the bottom of the door to block light coming in there, but that is the only effort I have made. No fans, just the AC vent. My 10 inch fan and filter pull the air from the bath and master bedroom so odor should not be a problem.

Light is a 5000K 321 watt actual draw four foot high bay LED fixture I found on Amazon. It is currently 11 inches above the tops of the plants and is providing 1100 umols. Jacks Pro Hydro and Calnit at 1.0ec and ph 5.6 to 6.0 as usual.

The misses will also keep these ladies trained while I'm away. Should be interesting to see how they do.

PS. You know your misses loves you when she will walk to the bathroom at the other end of the house in the middle of the night because she can't turn on a light in her master bath. :biggrin:

picture.php

Next update in about two weeks.

Peace,
starke

starke

Update Flower Day 14

Update Flower Day 14

Did not expect to be here to make this update but had to cut the Illinois trip short thanks to hurricane Dorian...who then decided to do a 180 and spare me. Can't bitch though, those who have followed this thread may remember I lost a crop in flower two years ago to hurricane Irma.

So here is a pic of the ladies. They are busy stretching and building bud sites:
picture.php

Next update in a week...unless Dorian does something crazy.

Peace,
starke

starke

The Experiment Flower Day 14

The Experiment Flower Day 14

The ladies in the bathroom are also in the process and building budsites:

picture.php

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
You got things looking good in here. I like the double ring feeding. The mad scientist in me has always wanted to follow each feed with a regulated release of o2 just for a minute or 2 while the feed wicks down. Separate rings might be the way to do it. Anyway, I look forward to seeing the finish. Here is to a frosty future.

starke

Update Flower Day 21

Update Flower Day 21

Three weeks into flower and the ladies seem to be done stretching. Bud formation is fairly even and the ladies seem happy with their Jacks at 1.0ec. Ph floats between 5.8 and 6.1.

As the pics below show the ladies are due for a defol both top and bottom. That will happen in the coming days once the weather cools down. 98F today with a heat index of 112F. Central air is running constantly and can only hold 84F in the house. Temp in the flower room when the pics below were taken was 93F so I figure the ladies don't need any additional stress at the moment.

Next update in a week.

Peace,
starke

picture.php

picture.php