What's new

Stainless Steel Fittings

Sunfire

Veteran
I'm doing sae 45 not only because of the pumps and tanks but because instalation parts supply has the sae 45 ss fittings for a tenth of jic 37 fittings. I ordered my pumps direct, and have a warranty, I really don't want to Crack them open brand new to change out those fittings. I'm unaware of Manchester making a tank that has a valve stem with jic 37 degree fittings.

Those Flaretite conical seals arnt your old school crush washers. They are 316 ss ones available with or without the coating and they are supposed to be a permanent fix. 4 dollars for one of those or 40 plus shipping and a week to two week wait for new hose...idk probably good to have some around so you don't have down time while new hoses are in the mail?

I know utmost safety and quality is important as far as uncompromising integrity is concerned. However, I feel that most people's high sides arnt going to be over 200 psi, shouldn't really be above 100 even. I've seen some pretty Janky stuff hold seal, and I've done a few tests myself recently and was actually surprised to see what was holding 150 psi. Don't worry I'm making everything proper, just been bored screwing around while waiting on the post.

Chonkski

I can't express enough, how much I really appreciate all of the info being tossed around.

No mean to get mushy, but this forum never ceases to inspire.

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm unaware of Manchester making a tank that has a valve stem with jic 37 degree fittings.

Me neither, and if you are running subzero, 1/4" valves are too small anyway, so we've gone to 3/4" NPT valves on our 100# Manchester tanks.

Sunfire

Veteran
Me neither, and if you are running subzero, 1/4" valves are too small anyway, so we've gone to 3/4" NPT valves on our 100# Manchester tanks.

Oh man really? I was wondering about that!

Well shoot, I was planning on using the push pull technique to get her flowing. Crack off a little liquid directly into collection chamber first to bring up the pressure from vacuum. Then kick the pumps on and use the pressure of the pumps to help push the liquid.

Were you trying this gw? Still didn't yield good enough results on the flow?

I can't tell from the pic on century tools, is it male or female 3/4 npt?

Update on SAE45/ JIC 37 fitting use.

They should specifically say dual use if used this way. The only dual seat fitting I have found are hose ends.

The following sizes have dual seat available:
Fitting Number (Hose ID)
3 (3/16)
4 (1/4)
5 (5/16)
8 (1/2)
10 (7/8)
16 (1)

Not every manufacture makes the dual seat in all sizes. Check that is marked for dual use.

The Unisource JIC 37 hoses on Amazon are dual seat in all the above sizes.

"RE: Part Numbers xTSC-25-25-xx.x

The following sizes are dual SAE/JIC 3,4,5,8,10,16

Sizes 6 and 12 are don’t a dual they are JIC only.

Name Removed
Engineered Products
Inside Sales

Unisource
8040 NE 33rd Drive
Portland, OR 97211
Ph: (503)-281-4673
Fax: (503)-281-5845"

Sunfire

Veteran
Lmao so please tell me you got your situation figured out bro. What did you end up doing? You find the hidden treasure fitting?

After lots of thinking I am going with:

Adaptor(s) to get from 1/4 SAE 45 to 3/8 JIC 37. If you are going 3/8 the SAE 45 hose ends in stainless are a 2-3 week wait. When I looked at the total cost both ways it was about the same.

vividavis

http://www.stainlesssteelfittings.com/JIC_AN_tube_expander_stainless_p/ss-2406.htm

Spoke with the tech rep. He said the 1/4" would likely work on SAE 45 flare but he was not sure. He said he's pretty sure the 1/2" works. "If it doesn't leak it seals" his words. He also said he is sure there is nothing made in stainless to go from SAE 45 flare to JIC 37 flare.

Combining 37 and 45 flares is something I can only find suggested when the dual seat females are used. These are rated for a lot of psi but hard to find much other than hose ends.

Sunfire seems to have the only solution to go straight to 3/8 hose.

I found several tech sheets saying to never mix 37 and 45 flare.

I am concerned about keeping the seal over large temp swings. The spec sheets read to me that only the dual seat female fitting can make the jump from 45 to 37.

It will damage your 45 flares if you wrench a 37 on to it. I just had to replace a bunch of damaged 1/4" brass fittings because I wrenched some 37*s on them. I didn't tighten them any tighter than I do on the JIC to JIC fittings.

Sunfire

Veteran
Ken at discount hydraulics was getting feisty with me after i asked 3 times in a row about the 1/4" hose end fitting being able to seat both 45 and 37 degree. He said they don't carry a specific 1/4" fitting for either because the ones they use are made to seat both.

Viva are you talking about hose end fittings or adapter fittings?

Can yall enable.my laziness and share any torque specs you might have for those hose end fittings. I have a chart coming in the mail but have yet to receive it.

Sunfire

Veteran
Ok I got the torque spreadsheet in the mail.

These are all measured in foot pounds (lb-ft).

1/4" - jic 37 = 14 / sae 45; steel = 12 and brass = 7
3/8" - jic 37 = 26 / sae 45; steel = 20 and brass = 13
1/2" - jic 37 = 55 / sae 45; steel = 48 and brass = 25

montroller

It will damage your 45 flares if you wrench a 37 on to it. I just had to replace a bunch of damaged 1/4" brass fittings because I wrenched some 37*s on them. I didn't tighten them any tighter than I do on the JIC to JIC fittings.

Hmm I just wrenched my unisource hose on to my appion, I wonder if the dual seal will make it OK? Either way I rarely ever remove that connection.

Hmm I just wrenched my unisource hose on to my appion, I wonder if the dual seal will make it OK? Either way I rarely ever remove that connection.

If the Unisource hose is part number 4TSC-25-25- then it has a dual seat and will work fine. Those are stainless ones sold on Amazon right now. It seems many companies primarily use the dual seats for size 4 (1/4").

Sunfire

Veteran
Get some of the Flaretite conical seals, a little pricy but it will make you feel better about finding leaks in the future, at least they made me feel better, boy scout motto my friends!

leroy_jenkins

Im in the process of buying parts to go all stainless myself but for some reason have become obsessed with flareless compression. I am presently on a mission to find suitable stainless compression fittings for the TR-21 with as few connections as possible. I went to every nut / bolt / fitting / refrigeration place I could find and stumpped all of em. They did say its not o-ring boss as previously suggested in this thread, has anyone figured it out? Flat face port with BSPP thread is my current thought, http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/How_to_Identify_Fluid_Ports_and_Connectors_s/55.htm

http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/SS_9002_JIC_x_BSPP_p/ss-9002.htm

But I am confused on the sizing and how they are measured. With a caliper they are closest to 1/2"and if metric it would be something like 12.7. The thread pitch is closest to 28 on the SAE scale but not quite, in metric it would have to be something like .77... a machine shop I visited suggested drilling and tapping the head out to a more standard size but I dont think im quite that obsessed.... yet...

vividavis

This is what happened to my 45* brass fitting after I put the stainless 37* unisource hose on it. You can see what I mean by concave.

IMG_20150130_125400.jpg

A6 Grower

Veteran
It didn't ruin it... You just mad a brass 37° fitting :) lol.... I saw this but wasn't worried as i have no metal on metal 45° seals to worry about this not making a seal. I figure if the fitting was able to do that its probably sealed just fine lol. 37° can go on brass 45° "perfectly" :friends:

Sunfire

Veteran
Lol I agree, it looks like it's seating itself, I'd take it. That obviously wouldn't be as intense if it were ss. I've been pressure testing to twice what my expected high pressures will be. If it pasts the test I'd use it and keep an eye on it. Also maybe you over torqued it. I posted a chart above here the other day. Brass is way less torque than steel.