What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stainless Steel Fittings

Sunfire

Veteran
Lmao that wasn't talking trash.

You didn't motivate me or inspire me at all dude, I'm a very thorough person, especially when it comes to purchasing things online. Maybe you inspired me to go take pics of that trim in the 50/50 thread though.

How I first came off? Ummm yeah dude, dito. Luckily everyone has their own eyes and brains so let's just leave that topic alone.

I think as far as fittings and hoses go. It's more economical to do sae with installation parts supply and go 3/8 hose with 3/8 sae on one side and 1/4 fjx (seats jic and sae) on the other side. This way you get better flow and don't need adapters for the 1/4" for your pumps and tanks. Discount hydraulics is the only company out of like 6 I called that can do this for a decent price, it's carbon steel though not ss but it's sanitary and good to -49F just go easy on the alcohol when cleaning the carbon.

Stainlesssteelfittings has high pressure double ferrule compression fittings you can put on the immersion chiller you order from Ny brew supply that have a 1/4 inch male flare on it for 15 bucks. To do 3/8 sae you'll have go back to npt and use a npt/sae flare fitting from instalation parts supply.

Sunfire

Veteran
Yeah for 1/4" you gotta go stainlesssteelfittings for pre chiller but for after chillers instalation parts supply has you covered at 5 bucks a pop, remember it's sae though, check it. Special order though will take 7-10 days for you to get them. Not sure if it's double ferrule high pressure or not though but being in ss I imagine it is, might want to call them first, I actually need to call em.bout something else and I'll ask and edit an update here

http://www.installationpartssupply....Screen=PROD&Product_Code=S7061&Store_Code=IPS

FYI- JIC fittings also have an SAE spec. You can find them listed with SAE in the title. There is also a 30 degree JIC. People will look at this thread for a long time. Let's not confuse them. Adding the degree number will prevent this.

45 flare
37 flare

JIC 37 is a SAE fitting but an SAE 45 is not a JIC. Only saying SAE could cause confusion. Make sure to add the degree angle.

Sunfire- nice leg work this week and good info.

Sunfire

Veteran
Ok grateful I agree sir I'll be sure to add the degree angle for now on.

Just to be Uber clear though...the 30 degree is jis (Japanese industry standard). Jic is 37 degree (joint industry council).

Ok so those compression fittings from instalation parts supply are believed to be single ferrule design however they have a pressure rating of 1200 psi so I think we are good there. Once again though, ALL of instalation parts supply fittings are sae 45 degree.

There is also a JIC 30 standard. I don't care to play tit for tat about every comment so I will just state things and leave it unless I am shown to be wrong.

Sunfire

Veteran
Damn yeah to step up from 1/4" female is hard to find. Prolly gonna have to go to npt to make the transition to jic. I'll look around for ya

Sunfire

Veteran
http://www.stainlesssteelfittings.com/JIC_AN_tube_expander_stainless_p/ss-2406.htm

These look like they work with 1/4" "possibly" being compatible between sae 45 and jic 37. 20 bucks a pop though!

Maybe call em and see if those have the dual angle.cone? And if they do maybe get a conical seal just to extra sure.

These will work to get back to npt but no specs. On lead free so once again maybe call em but it says it's for food and beverage industry so I assume how the laws are you can use fittings with lead in them for food and beverage.
http://products.holyokefittings.com...lare-to-male-pipe-straight-adapt-2/item-36840

Here's another option but it still relies on the 1/4" 45/37 degree compatibility thing however this route is swivel fittings so it should be compatible and It's ss for only 2 bucks!
http://www.installationpartssupply....de=SUS4-4&Category_Code=fe-flare-swivel-union
So now just get a 1/4 jic 37 male to 3/8 jic 37 male union, and your set!

Last edited:
Sunfire- I was looking at those. Everything on that site is very 37 specific. I will double check and ask about the dual seat.

I did find some brass 1/4 45 flare female to 1/4 NPT Male. That is the only other option I see short of more adaptors or a custom hose.

One more choice: get a tank Y valve that has NPT. This means buying a 100 lb tank with one or switching out the Y valve.

http://www.centurytool.net/V20429_Manchester_Refrigerant_Tank_Valve_Assy_Dual_p/manv20429.htm

Sunfire

Veteran
Look into that last option with the double female swivel. Call them and ask about the dual cone on that fitting.

Everyone I know that's tried to take out that valve stem has failed.
Gw said he took one to shop and then they turned around and mailed it out to another place, it's not easy to do apparently and you might be waiting a long time and pay a lot of shipping

Yeah bro I just went with discount hydraulics and had custom hose. They can totally do a 1/4" dual cone to 3/8 jic but they charge 10$ assembly fee. At 5 feet mine were 40$ a piece. I know they have lots of 1/4 in stock and bet they have the 3/8 jic 37 cause it's way more common that 3/8 sae 45. I bet if just get a 1 foot of 3/8 ptfe hose with your fittings it'll be around 20 bucks, plus shipping.

http://www.stainlesssteelfittings.com/JIC_AN_tube_expander_stainless_p/ss-2406.htm

Spoke with the tech rep. He said the 1/4" would likely work on SAE 45 flare but he was not sure. He said he's pretty sure the 1/2" works. "If it doesn't leak it seals" his words. He also said he is sure there is nothing made in stainless to go from SAE 45 flare to JIC 37 flare.

Combining 37 and 45 flares is something I can only find suggested when the dual seat females are used. These are rated for a lot of psi but hard to find much other than hose ends.

Sunfire seems to have the only solution to go straight to 3/8 hose.

I found several tech sheets saying to never mix 37 and 45 flare.

I am concerned about keeping the seal over large temp swings. The spec sheets read to me that only the dual seat female fitting can make the jump from 45 to 37.

montroller

I have been having no problems with my 37 fittings going onto 45 flares.

Also I posted a link earlier about a company who can make custom fittings. They just take 2 fittings with the ends you want cut them in half and weld them back together. I'm not sure if their work comes with pressure testing or anything like that but I doubt it.

HG23

Why are you guys bothering with the 45's so much? I just went all JIC on my setup and everything was very easy to find.

I was a mechanic and was lead to believe the 45 degree standard was designed for lower pressure applications. Keep in mind that's for hydraulic situations so lower pressure means brake and fuel supply type of situations where the pressure will be high by our standards in this industry. These systems use soft metal tubing like aluminum or copper which are easy to flare out to 45 degrees without too much stress or cracking at the flare. The Joint Industry Council (JIC) came out with their standard for lots of reasons, including better sealing in higher pressure applications due to the 37 degree angle and a tighter fitting thread standard (2A/2B I think). Google it up if you're interested.

The brake system in your car is very important for safety, obviously. Most systems come from the factory with aluminum and rubber tubing with 45 degree flares at the connections. You'd be surprised at the shitty, corroded brake components people drive around with on old beaters, but you rarely hear of runaway vehicle accidents. 45 degree flaring would, in my opinion, be good enough for the pressures I see during extraction.

For sanitary and safety reasons however, we use stainless components for extractors. As you're finding out, most are machined to JIC or AN standard as they are higher quality and designed for the toughest conditions. Being that as it is, I just went all male JIC on the extractor and tank fittings, and all female JIC for my hoses.

I've heard the dual seat/twin flare converters called "bastard" fittings before. Never got the lowdown on exactly the reason why though.

Edit: I have also never found it necessary to use any of the conical type crush washer products and would personally shy away from them. If I had a leaky JIC fitting I would track down the issue as they should seal perfectly metal on metal.

I agree JIC 37 are just easier to find in stainless. SAE 45 and JIC 37 flare both have more than enough PSI rating for our use.

The reason I am dealing with SAE 45 is the tank and pump connections. I am converting them to JIC 37 as quickly as I can though.

The dual seats have a good psi rating. Parker sells them and gives no warning about use. I did find a different manufacture who said to use them only when other options could not be found and keep it temporary.

I have only seen the crush washer (gasket) used for leaking fittings. For our use I agree with HG23- replacing with a new fitting seems the better choice for a leak.

Latest posts

Latest posts