What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stainless Steel Fittings

Thank you!

After looking at several web pages and spec sheets it appears the 1/4" 37 and 45 can't be mixed do to the difference in seat angle. There is a "combo" fitting with a dual angled seat but this part should only be used for temporary use.

Last edited:

flatslabs

Yes, the threading is compatible between 1/4 JIC and SAE, however the shape of the flare is different.

The hoses (most) happen to seal to both JIE and SAE flares because they are designed that way, however that reducer part is listed as specifically 37 degrees, which is why I don't think it will maintain a proper seal, as it is not the same "dual-cone" fitting that the hoses have.

I would be putting a 37 degree flare reducer on a 45 degree flare, sure the threading is the same but that doesn't say much about the seal of the flare which is why I am currently using a 6" hose between my 1/4 SAE and JIC flares, that part just makes me a little uneasy without knowing it will make a proper seal.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, the threading is compatible between 1/4 JIC and SAE, however the shape of the flare is different.

The hoses (most) happen to seal to both JIE and SAE flares because they are designed that way, however that reducer part is listed as specifically 37 degrees, which is why I don't think it will maintain a proper seal, as it is not the same "dual-cone" fitting that the hoses have.

I would be putting a 37 degree flare reducer on a 45 degree flare, sure the threading is the same but that doesn't say much about the seal of the flare which is why I am currently using a 6" hose between my 1/4 SAE and JIC flares, that part just makes me a little uneasy without knowing it will make a proper seal.

A copper crusher washer in the joint seems to reliably seal in a pinch.

Sunfire

Veteran
Yes only swivel (once again, most) fittings have the dual angle cone and I have yet to find one and those parts are so expensive it's probably best to just take it back to npt in the middle.

Sooo called discount hydraulics. They have a very limited supply of ss fittings for there hose ends. However, all their other fittings a carbon steel, I guess that's better than regular steel and seems to be my only option wanting a 3/8 hose. They can't step down to 1/4 ss off of a 3/8 hose. Plus, they have to order the sae 3/8 fittings so I won't be getting my hoses for like 2 weeks, bummer.

It seems that no assembly companies in us make a 1/4 ss to go onto a 3/8 hose. Jim at paragon can get ss sae 3/8 but will take like two weeks to special order. All of DH ' s ss hose end fittings are jic only and no 1/4 for 3/8 hose.

Looks like I'm going carbon steel, not preferable but better than brass and a bunch of fitting adapters. My damn dreams were shattered.

Still a small thread of hope, after I told jim I'm going to look into other options he said he's going to still try to track down that stuff in ss, he's such a cool guy but my hope diminishes by the day.

Sunfire

Veteran
Gw gave me the idea to contact associated hose. Talked to pat, he said the solid non swivel ss adapters they sell CAN seat both sae and jic, the have the curved cone that can seat both. He's busy atm and gotta call him back but if they can make my hose assemblies asap I might go with them.

There is a dual flare fitting. It has less contact area for sealing either 45 or 37. They don't seem to be very common and some warn to only use for temporary use.

Sunfire

Veteran
As far as the 1/4" seating both, all the people I talked to on the phone; pat at associated, jim at paragon, And Ken and DH, and other companies and names I forget cause their pricing was rediculous , guaranteed me the hose end fitting is universal and they don't sell a specific jic or sae 1/4" and said nothing about it being temporary.

The adapters I have no clue about. When looking at the inside of one of those 1/4" fittings, then looking at a jic male and an sae male, Yes I see how It will seat both because the jic male is longer.

Update from associated hose. They can't do 3/8 sae ss either nor can they put a 1/4" anything ss on a 3/8 hose.

Considering how affordable instalation parts supply' ss sae fittings are, and I want as few breaks in the lines as possible, I'm going with discount hydraulics with the carbon steel fittings.

5 feet of 3/8 ptfe hose with 1/4" on one side and 3/8 sae on other side is just under 42$ per hose plus shipping.

Sunfire

Veteran
A crush washer is a "conical seal" in industry and a "flare saver" in the field. If you Google conical seal better chances of finding more options. You can get them in ss, carbon steel, aluminum and many other options

Flaretite and Eaton make some cool ones that arnt just flat washers, the surface has a bunch of ribbing that makes multiple connection points. Flaretite has this coating you can get on them that says it's ok for most common gasses, I'm going to get a hold of a distributor tomorrow and ask some detailed questions.

The ones from Eaton are around 2 bucks a pop. 4 means 1/4" inch and 6 is 3/8 and be sure to get sae or jic for these are for most part not universal however I believe Flaretite does have one that is.

Last edited:

vividavis

A crush washer is a "conical seal" in industry and a "flare saver" in the field. If you Google conical seal better chances of finding more options. You can get them in ss, carbon steel, aluminum and many other options

Flaretite and Eaton make some cool ones that arnt just flat washers, the surface has a bunch of ribbing that makes multiple connection points. Flaretite has this coating you can get on them that says it's ok for most common gasses, I'm going to get a hold of a distributor tomorrow and ask some detailed questions.

The ones from Eaton are around 2 bucks a pop. 4 means 1/4" inch and 6 is 3/8 and be sure to get sae or jic for these are for most part not universal however I believe Flaretite does have one that is.

Parker calls them flare gaskets. They had no clue what I meant by crush washer at the parker store today.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A rose by any other name. It would appear that the use of crusher washer is regional slang.

Thanks for sharing the name it can be found by!

Chonkski

What kind of filter drier are you guys using that has 1/4" connections? The small ones? Or are you just talking about adapting to the pump?

My problem is adapting 3/8" 37° to 3/8" 45° Without brass fittings.

If I was able to find cheaper hoses in SAE, id probably just go with that route.

Perhaps just a 3/8" SAE Flare swivel Union in stainless would be the nice piece for me to find

Sunfire

Veteran
Chonski check instalation parts supply first but idk if they have swivel union in 3/8. Stainlesssteelfittings will most likely though.

So about the Flaretite conical seals...called em up, on their website there's contacts and I called Chris in michigan. I asked about that coating they put on them and told him I was using propane and butane in liquid and gas form. He said he guarantees they will not be corroded by those solvents. I told him that sanitation is huge and I can't have any contamination. He told me he has had this same conversation with other customers that are using them for the same thing I'm doing and guaranteed there will be no contamination or corrosion. Plus, if you order 100$ or more you can order direct from them and get oem pricing Wich is about half what msrp is which took the 3/8 from 8 bucks a pop to 4. He politely took my order over the phone and has them in the mail already. I ordered the green marine anti corrosive ones for 45 sae. They are 316 ss and has the coating on it. Happy day I got spares for my buddies they will male great gifts after I make them do leak tests.

A copper crush washer is very basic. These Flaretite ones have conical ribbing to enable multiple contact and seal points plus the have tabs that click on the male part for easy instalation. They also have that coating that helps seal extra well.

Dab Strudel

What kind of filter drier are you guys using that has 1/4" connections? The small ones? Or are you just talking about adapting to the pump?

My problem is adapting 3/8" 37° to 3/8" 45° Without brass fittings.

If I was able to find cheaper hoses in SAE, id probably just go with that route.

Perhaps just a 3/8" SAE Flare swivel Union in stainless would be the nice piece for me to find

why dont you just make 2 molecular sieves? after the supply tank and before the recovery pump? ive priced mine out to be like 300 bucks

Chonkski

why dont you just make 2 molecular sieves? after the supply tank and before the recovery pump? ive priced mine out to be like 300 bucks

You must know the voice in the back of my mind.

I have been wanting to do that for a while, but I just keep buying the stupid filter driers because they are so easy and accessible at the RSD store.

Sunfire

Veteran
My external drier filter setups were like 300 a piece dude, the big ones are pricey. Do you have 1.5" ferrules on your lid and is it a bottom flood design? If do you can add a sieve filter between the material and collection chamber, and another between the chamber and pump manifold. Each can be done for about 100 each and you'll have a full pound of sieve in each which is way better than the biggest drier filter and housing.

Sunfire

Veteran
Damn Sunfire putting in that legwork for the benefit of the community, good finds all around!

Damned memed accuse ME of being lazy!

really though I gotta walk 1/8th of a mile to use phone and do research and Internet stuff so I get bored over here often and it's kinda like work theme, when I'm over here, it's for business and gets down on the get downs

MEMED

im glad im motivating, and inspiring you sunfire. Please know I have no beef. Look back at how you first came off when entering this forum. I was merely protecting our appearance. We focus on safety.

Youve seemed to settle in well. Thanks. Please consider my angle before talking more trash.

I come in peace.