What's new

Spider Farmer SF4000 vs 2 Mars Hydro SP250s

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
This next text is a copy paste from my ig, I got to writing and felt this should be shared here too, or really here more than there but i typed it there first so whatever. Lol.

Closer look at some trichomes on sp250 side..

picture.php

I noticed the trichomes on the sp250 side get a lil mo amber a lil earlier than under the sf4000. I think this 2 has to do with the uvb in the sp250s. My educated guess from this side by side is that the sf4000 will yield more and the sp250s will be slightly higher quality. The addition of the uvb makes for slighly more resin, but since we have both sides on equal wattage the percent of the light that is uvb is the same percent more that the sf4000 side will be putting into bulk. While substituting a lil quality for quantity may seem like the way to go, my research tells me that uvb isnt needed for the whole flowering cycle or whole lights on, so it might be more efficient to get separate uvb bulbs to run for 2 hour intervals during only the last 2 weeks of flower and produce higher quality without loosing quantity. Of course this takes away from the ease of a single light producing these results, if I were a light manufacturer I would try to come up with uvb diodes with independent controller/timer that can be switched on only during the needed time to save power and produce optimum results. That said both these lights are doin better than I thought and I dont see myself ever going back to hps lighting. .

Anyway thats my 7 week assessment, will see how this finishes out, they are on a diet of bat guano n a lil chitosan for for the next week then a week of straight water.

Heres a good thread on some uvb, a lot of bs in it too and opinions but some good info too for anyone interested.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=260046&page=6

N heres a lil side by side with the lights off...

picture.php

picture.php

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Fasho, we could write a bro-cademic journal on this shit! Lol!

I was lookin into getting some uv lights for the spider farmer side, n crankin the sp250 side up so its at at least 235-240 on each light next run. Use the supplemental uvb only last 2 weeks for 2 hours a day like and see how the nug quality compare.

Jayded

Maybe a couple of those emerson effect strips would be enough to boost the red on the sp250 side?I like the results with the Mars lights as is/was and as I just grow for myself,i'd rather have the quality over the extra bit of yield.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Maybe a couple of those emerson effect strips would be enough to boost the red on the sp250 side?I like the results with the Mars lights as is/was and as I just grow for myself,i'd rather have the quality over the extra bit of yield.

Oh yeah fasho, and its only week 7 so we dont know how much quality/yield is exchanged yet. But Im lovin both lights, just trying to think of ways I could improve spectrums and efficiency. Im guessing when the 2 mars are turnt up to there standard then they will produce about equal amounts if not more than the sf4000 because they will use more lights, for this side by side I made it even wattage on both sides. I think 2 of the new sp3000 would crush a 4x4 space....

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Oh yeah fasho, and its only week 7 so we dont know how much quality/yield is exchanged yet. But Im lovin both lights, just trying to think of ways I could improve spectrums and efficiency. Im guessing when the 2 mars are turnt up to there standard then they will produce about equal amounts if not more than the sf4000 because they will use more lights, for this side by side I made it even wattage on both sides. I think 2 of the new sp3000 would crush a 4x4 space....

2xSP3000 would be more suitable for 5x5 at the max power.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I notice the buds are rock hard under a SP 250. I've thought about the big 3000 Mars Hydro also!!! I've tested several LEDs but didn't do a side by side with any. There's several Updayday 1000w and 1800ws that's good. Also Xecoon lighting Smart Series 3522 is a bright ass white light. Gotta a nice Bozily 800w also. But I really need several REALLY good LED and the SP 250s spectrum is the best I think. I gotta get 1-2 more. How many amps in the USA, does the SP 250 use

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I've ran several variety and all the buds get rock hard!!! Maybe not as big, but there absolutely the hardest buds I've seen any LED to date. I'm gonna have to use LEDs, the HPS are to much on my breakers. I've had some electrical problems with my current grow. But some good advice for a half basement that about 8ft wide x 12-14ft long. I've got one SP 250 and the Updayday lights that will be most of what I'm using. Ill definitely be interested in this grow. I believe you can daisy chain 3 SP 250s so they must not use many amps. Awsome grow sir your kicking ass with both lights !!!

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Maybe because we add uv and more red chips? :biggrin:

Mars Hydro has a lot of smart people making there lights. It's hard to not buy one since I already like the SP 250s. But I need the best light and deal I can find. I don't have a lot of money but try to put it in the garden!!!:biggrin:

Sunshineinabag

This next text is a copy paste from my ig, I got to writing and felt this should be shared here too, or really here more than there but i typed it there first so whatever. Lol.

View Image

I noticed the trichomes on the sp250 side get a lil mo amber a lil earlier than under the sf4000. I think this 2 has to do with the uvb in the sp250s. My educated guess from this side by side is that the sf4000 will yield more and the sp250s will be slightly higher quality. The addition of the uvb makes for slighly more resin, but since we have both sides on equal wattage the percent of the light that is uvb is the same percent more that the sf4000 side will be putting into bulk. While substituting a lil quality for quantity may seem like the way to go, my research tells me that uvb isnt needed for the whole flowering cycle or whole lights on, so it might be more efficient to get separate uvb bulbs to run for 2 hour intervals during only the last 2 weeks of flower and produce higher quality without loosing quantity. Of course this takes away from the ease of a single light producing these results, if I were a light manufacturer I would try to come up with uvb diodes with independent controller/timer that can be switched on only during the needed time to save power and produce optimum results. That said both these lights are doin better than I thought and I dont see myself ever going back to hps lighting. .

Anyway thats my 7 week assessment, will see how this finishes out, they are on a diet of bat guano n a lil chitosan for for the next week then a week of straight water.

Heres a good thread on some uvb, a lot of bs in it too and opinions but some good info too for anyone interested.

View Image

View Image

curing in jars works

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mars Hydro has a lot of smart people making there lights. It's hard to not buy one since I already like the SP 250s. But I need the best light and deal I can find. I don't have a lot of money but try to put it in the garden!!!:biggrin:

Mars and Smart people is an oxymoron, unless you mean they have been smart enough to sell lots of crap lights to unsuspecting/ignorant customers

Example of how smart they are NOT: They are using what is essentially a baking pan (useless sides) as almost 100% of leds fire directly at the canopy, what little light that spreads beyond the perimeter edges is inconsequential

Crowmax

Veteran

View Image

View Image

View Image

Both sides looking great GET MO, hard to tell which one i prefer so far!

What lens did you use for that nice macro shot? :yummy:

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Both sides looking great GET MO, hard to tell which one i prefer so far!

What lens did you use for that nice macro shot? :yummy:

Thanks! That was with a nikon 105mm macro. Most the wide shots been with a tamron 15-30mm g2.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Oh shit this SP 3000 is gonna be what I'm saving for. Hopefully in a month or so I'm gonna treat myself for my birthday. I thought they were talking about the TS 3000. But Mars Hydro has this new SP 3000 I've gotta get

THC123

Veteran
Yeah I am also getting 2x SP3000/ Main reason is the addition of extra red and blue, which I already had been doing with my sf4000 because for some reason my plants freak out if i don't supplement with red and blue. The yellowing and light stress goes away with extra red and blue. And of course cool that it also includes uv.

Mars and Smart people is an oxymoron, unless you mean they have been smart enough to sell lots of crap lights to unsuspecting/ignorant customers

Well then i guess it's not only Mars that sells crap to ignorant customers ey???? Mr Snakeoil salesman!!

(if you want to react send me a pm lets not pollute this thread, I am talking about your snakeoil for pets which I was so foolish to buy).

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
A couple lights out camera phone pics, bout a week n few days left to go.

Cremé de la Blue
picture.php

Vibranium
picture.php

Sometime in the near future I wanna get a 40ft storage container and turn it into a grow. Was thinking 10 2x4 tables for flower, 4 for veg, and an entryway for nutrients and maybe reservoirs. Was thinkin 10 sp3000s would the way to go for the flower portion, thatd be 3000w flower, could prolly harvest a good 6 lbs a run.
Anyway heres a lil concept visualization...

picture.php

Wuts yall thoughts?

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor
Oh shit this SP 3000 is gonna be what I'm saving for. Hopefully in a month or so I'm gonna treat myself for my birthday. I thought they were talking about the TS 3000. But Mars Hydro has this new SP 3000 I've gotta get

that will be a very nice birthday gift. :biggrin:

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor
Yeah I am also getting 2x SP3000/ Main reason is the addition of extra red and blue, which I already had been doing with my sf4000 because for some reason my plants freak out if i don't supplement with red and blue. The yellowing and light stress goes away with extra red and blue. And of course cool that it also includes uv.

Well then i guess it's not only Mars that sells crap to ignorant customers ey???? Mr Snakeoil salesman!!

(if you want to react send me a pm lets not pollute this thread, I am talking about your snakeoil for pets which I was so foolish to buy).

SP3000 sold out in two days. You can preorder on our site. :biggrin: