What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spider Farmer SF4000 vs 2 Mars Hydro SP250s

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
not really much difference between the two sides...

i have 7 mars hydro lights,about to buy 4 more...no complaints at all...been running my ts3000 for like 5 full flowering runs,zero problems,no burnt out chips...i expect the 4 new sp250's to pay back 3-4x what they cost on the first run...

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Unc - Right, your grows was part of what influenced me to get the sp250s! I also believe that a company can make improvements. There customer service has been on point for me whenever I had an inquiry.

Cantharellus - No. I was running veg+bloom before, switched to jacks 321, but actually been tweaking it a lil bit as I feel it needs it, I will calculate what is needed for a 35 gallon mix but my res is actually 40 gallons. and as flower has progressed I cut down on the cal nit and epsom but kept the bloom nutes the same. One of my goals this run with leds is to cut expenses, and so nutrients got a cut too. I realize this could effect the comparison of leds to the lights I was running before but don't think it will make that much of a difference. In my experience most nutrients work relatively similar. At week 7-8 I will cut salts and feed for a week with budswell and a lil bit of chitosan, then a week of straight water, then chop. I find this gives them a smooth finish and brings out the smells and flavors.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my electric bill is actually dropping now in spite of it being summer and needing the coolers going..pretty much 100% led at this point...

Bmac1

Veteran
not really much difference between the two sides...

i have 7 mars hydro lights,about to buy 4 more...no complaints at all...been running my ts3000 for like 5 full flowering runs,zero problems,no burnt out chips...i expect the 4 new sp250's to pay back 3-4x what they cost on the first run...

4 SP250 in a 8 x 4, right unc? I had a look at the sp300 or whatever the new version is because I want to make the jump to LED sooner than later. For me to put 600w of LED in my tent via the SP300, it would cost me about $1200 Canadian pesos. I can get a HLG650 knock off for a little over $800 to my door. I do like spread of having multiple SP250/300 like you and Get Mo are doing but it just doesnt make sense from a cost perspective. I do think Mars has stepped up their game with their most recent lines.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
4 SP250 in a 8 x 4, right unc? I had a look at the sp300 or whatever the new version is because I want to make the jump to LED sooner than later. For me to put 600w of LED in my tent via the SP300, it would cost me about $1200 Canadian pesos. I can get a HLG650 knock off for a little over $800 to my door. I do like spread of having multiple SP250/300 like you and Get Mo are doing but it just doesnt make sense from a cost perspective. I do think Mars has stepped up their game with their most recent lines.

in my experience so far the far red and blue chips make a big difference...and i did get a nice price on the 4 sp250's which certainly helps...but as soon as i can i will replace my hlg 550's...i would give the single color leds a slight edge in yield but i think the quality from the red/blue is better...

the mars prices should come down as they are able to ship the lights to more warehouses...the sp250's were 300us not long ago,back down to 240 or so now...

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor

2xSP3000 is 600W and can cover 4x4ft well. It can compare to HLG650. :)

Bmac1

Veteran
2xSP3000 is 600W and can cover 4x4ft well. It can compare to HLG650. :)

Yes, but my point was that I can get the HLG copy which has slightly more power for about $400 less that 2 SP3000.

Sorry for the hijack Get Mo. Back to the regularly scheduled programming.

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Yes, but my point was that I can get the HLG copy which has slightly more power for about $400 less that 2 SP3000.

Sorry for the hijack Get Mo. Back to the regularly scheduled programming.

There really exist some copy on market(Like alibaba).

Just pay more attention on their quality and warranty.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
There really exist some copy on market(Like alibaba).

Just pay more attention on their quality and warranty.

WTH? Mars talking about quality and warranty? Give me a break.

Maybe it has improved from ~ 5 years ago, but Mars left customers hanging with NO PERFORMED WARRANTY. You can't outrun that bad of a reputation

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
WTH? Mars talking about quality and warranty? Give me a break.
Maybe it has improved from ~ 5 years ago, but Mars left customers hanging with NO PERFORMED WARRANTY. You can't outrun that bad of a reputation

yep ..check out their '3' year warr... maybe in the land of the wuhan virus its considered '3' yrs.... but not in a 1st class country

Jayded

I've had a ts1000w since shortly after they came out and it's still working great.
I really wish i'd gone with the sp250's over the quantum type boards when I swapped the flower tent over.Plants are much happier under the mars spectrum than the qb's

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
7 weeks in update....
The nugs under the sf4000 are more dense than the sp250 side, but more uniformity on the 250 side. Looking at 7 weeks I think both sides would benefit greatly from another 200 or so watts... as yall can see I left a layer of lowers to see how the penetration is, will be interesting to see how the lowers compare in density too.

SP250s

picture.php

picture.php

SF4000

picture.php

picture.php

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i'm seeing the same sort of thing in the difference between my hlg550's and the sp250...the hlg panel the yield is more,but i think the terps and frost are stronger from the sp250...

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Unc - Yeah man, smell wise I haven't noticed a difference but the Sp250 side visually to me has more frost. Its like its a heavier look to the frost if that makes sense. think its them uvbs...

Side by side flash and no flash
picture.php

picture.php

Cremé de la Blue
picture.php

Sureshot... Don't like how the structure looks on this run, usually surest is more like vibranium when it comes to structure...
picture.php