What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spider Farmer SF4000 vs 2 Mars Hydro SP250s

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Will you answer the question truthfully.... Does Mars make Spider Farmer lights?

Personally, I don't see how, as Mars has yet too show any real knowledge of building LED grow lights for cannabis

Wow. Okay. Try and explain this line of thought, please?

dank.Frank

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran

dank.Frank

LOL! Well so far they are about equal, so they must know something!
To think ANY company that makes grow lights specific to cannabis has no idea about the spectrum cannabis likes would be crazy. It only takes a quick google search to know these things, for them to make it this far without that basic knowledge?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran

dank.Frank

A couple of people who bought SFs say the invoice says "Mars"

In all the years that Mars has been peddling crap lights (when as Get Mo said a simple search would guide them) and out of the blue pops SF with superior design and spectrum (not ideal, but for the $$$ VG). It's hard to imagine Mars would be making them while still peddling their crap lights for growing meds

hth

hth

Safe Gardener

dank.Frank
No
Hey dank.Frank,

PetFlora regularly trashes Mars Hydro lights in favor of Amare. He says Mars has a terrible track record for lasting run after run. I totally disregard his posts just because of the way he slanders Mars Hydro.

I own a Mars Hydro 96 reflector series light. Have used it for no less than ten flower cycles (it was also used for veg before those cycles. To this point there is 1 diode that isn't lighting up any more.

It's only one light, but my experience with Mars Hydro has been great and any time I had a question it was answered within a day.

SG

Mr. J

No
Hey dank.Frank,

PetFlora regularly trashes Mars Hydro lights in favor of Amare. He says Mars has a terrible track record for lasting run after run. I totally disregard his posts just because of the way he slanders Mars Hydro.
I disregard him because he's really bad at growing plants so I just assume that he also doesn't know anything about lights for growing plants.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A couple of people who bought SFs say the invoice says "Mars"

In all the years that Mars has been peddling crap lights (when as Get Mo said a simple search would guide them) and out of the blue pops SF with superior design and spectrum (not ideal, but for the $$$ VG). It's hard to imagine Mars would be making them while still peddling their crap lights for growing meds

Personally, I've not engaged you on this topic, so I'll converse with a grain of salt in mind.

That said, Mars built a company by offering intro level grow lights, that gave those who wanted to try growing a lower barrier to entry. Setting up a garden isn't cheap if you do it right. Don't care what lights you ultimately use, it's an expensive hobby.

Full disclosure - I am one of the only people in the world, with Mars Hydro's newest light - the SP3000. I was selected as a product tester. It's the best light they have produced to date. Uses higher quality LED diodes (Samsung and Osram).

It's a 300w unit. I have 2 x SP3000 and I'll be running a thread. I'll have other lights in use at the same time. 2 x 315w CMH in one room and 2 x HydroGrowLED XB200 in another room.

I will see first hand if what you claim is accurate or if you are just holding a bias.

I'm not sold on LED being better than CMH. It's why I'm willing to test the lights I have. To learn.

I will say this though, the build quality of the Mars Hydro SP3000 is top tier. It's almost painfully bright. IP65 certified as well. I'd not consider it a "crap light" as you have suggested. Quite the opposite.

Tune into my current thread, linked in my signature. Maybe you'll learn something there too. Get Mo has done an excellent job on this thread - and I think it really shows an unbiased and fair comparison between the two lights. I like seeing my old IC buddies switch it up and hold it down, just like always. :respect: :tiphat: :joint:

dank.Frank

iTHC

i think the resentment for mars hydro comes from the fact when they first came on the scene, lots of people on forums bought into the tech at the time only to see it quickly superseded by newer models with no discounted upgrade option for those that invested in blurple lights...i am not saying this from personal experience with mars hydro but from what i have been told on other forums when inquiring about led's....

for the record i have a SF1000 & SF2000

mexweed

Veteran
I recently ordered a couple of the Mars TSL2000 rather than send my two Mars 144s in for repair, not the biggest fan of the veg/flower spectrum switches because I like full spectrum the whole time, the 144s killed it though and I used just the veg spectrum until a week before flip, they were gifted to me by a friend and had some burnt out diodes

I'll take the veg/flower switches over a dimming feature all day though, and that's the primary feature of Spider Farmer

I have three of the original Mars 300 blurples that I still use, when I bought them it was 132w for $60, or $180 for close to 400 actual watts

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
i think the resentment for mars hydro comes from the fact when they first came on the scene, lots of people on forums bought into the tech at the time only to see it quickly superseded by newer models with no discounted upgrade option for those that invested in blurple lights...i am not saying this from personal experience with mars hydro but from what i have been told on other forums when inquiring about led's....

It is true that we did sell the Blurple LED before 2019.

But this kind of light bring us a lot of issues then. So we decided to move into the new LED tech. So far, it seems our direction is correct. :)

iTHC

It is true that we did sell the Blurple LED before 2019.

But this kind of light bring us a lot of issues then. So we decided to move into the new LED tech. So far, it seems our direction is correct. :)

personally i cant see an issue with your current products & from research have seen plenty of happy growers to make me tempted to try the new SP3000 when i can afford another tent setup

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Wrong. Lots of very unhappy customers due to POOR QC and total lack of proper warranty. People actually made videos smashing them

so while they may have improved their reputation does not deserve anyones business AND, as you can see SF makes a much more effective light at not much more

Sunshineinabag

I didnt listen to mars or his fanboys when choosing SF. I watched an aldo pepper on YouTube video about how good they are for the price compared to others.....all I see is Mars getting competition from another company....I bought one went full cycle and now have three...IDC what ya say keep your Mars and I'll stay with what I bought.

Klompen

Blurple gets a lot of crap, but I have found pretty awesome results mixing it with some white in the same fixture. I don't think they're great by themselves, but worthless? Nah

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I agree Mars older lights weren't that great, got bad reviews, but these new ones seem to be on point and steadily improving. I did my homework on specific lights, that combined with my budget to make decisions. So far no complaints on the sp250s.

Week 6:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Nug shots on
sp250 side

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

and one of the sureshot x blueberry muffin, on the sp250 side but can't compare the frost because this plant is frostier than the vibranium by nature.

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts