What's new

Sour Diesel Vs. New York City Diesel

O

OGvenom

I dont even know why NYCD has that name.. the Diesel most commonly found in NYC is Sour. It's unmistakeable. and im not tryin to talk shit, but i've smoked alot of diesel shipped over here from the west coast and i dont know if its just the growing style or if I was smoking higher-yielding shorter-flowering hybrids of Sour D, but the west coast diesel seemed like a bigger chunkier kinda watered down version of the foxtail exploding stacking calyx stucture and impossibly strong funk of the ECSD cut. either way i LOVE sour. its undoubtedly in my top 5, maybe top 2... thats my 2 cents. looking forward to the side by side NYCD/Sour grow.

some west coast growers have the real deal ecsd and can dial that bitch in.maybe cause we prefer og kush over sour diesel

Attachments

• ecsd.JPG
    ecsd.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 22
  • ecsd1.jpg
    ecsd1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 24

Bi0hazard

Veteran
Genetic differences between Original Sour Diesel and NYCD:

The NYCD is a real treat as well, incredible tastes through out many of the phenos like a really sweet ECSD, with a fruity somewhat skunky/afghani? twist on it. I still prefer the Original Sour Diesel cut over NYCD, but I would rarely ever turn down some nice NYCD.

Supposedly the Diesel (From the "Guy with dreads down to his feet") that was used by Soma in NYCD is Original Diesel, which is part of the backbone of The Original Sour Diesel (ECSD) and has a strong chem '91 influence. It's also pretty well held that OG Kush is an Original Diesel S1, rather than a straight Chem '91 S1 - which could explain the extra indica expressions in OG Kush varieties.

Original Diesel (OD) = Chem '91 X (MassSuperSkunk X SensiNL)
Sour Diesel = Original Diesel X DNL
DNL = (RFK Skunk X Hawaiian) X NL
RFK = Skunk strain from RFK dead Shows 90-91"

So essentially the difference in genotypes between ECSD and NYCD is this:

Sour Diesel = Original Diesel x Skunk/Hawaiian/NL
NYCD = Original Diesel S1 x Afghani/Hawaiian

Original Diesel has SensiNL in it, so the NYCD still shares NL genetics like ECSD. The main difference apart from the mothers and phenotypes used, is ECSD uses Skunk x Hawaiian, while NYCD uses Afghani x Hawaiian.

A little rehashing: It's pretty well confirmed that the Chem 91 in Original Diesel was the original cut, meaning it was female.

According to JJ-NYC the cross of SensiNL/MSS = Sensi NL was the Male and the Mass Super Skunk was the female cut - which produced seeds - from those seeds a male was chosen and then crossed with the Female Chem '91 producing Original Diesel.

Dank Regards,

Bi0hazard

d4nk

original diesel is the fucking bomb! also known as daywrecker diesel or headband. the cut i run is named headband but is not from a seed company or the 707. its the old school diesel FUNK!

R

Red Swan

I've got the OD too and it is good with a long cure, but I like the D better. Buds are too fluffy. You need to cure it for at least 4 weeks and the flavor completely changes.

FullyMeltedDome

Veteran
Thats weird cuz Soma always says theres NO Deisel in His NYCD,mexican Sativa/afghani Hawaian.He just gave it that name,but he didnt use Deez in it at all.It can be found easily what he says is the lineage of his NYCD.

Bi0hazard

Veteran
Thats weird cuz Soma always says theres NO Deisel in His NYCD,mexican Sativa/afghani Hawaian.He just gave it that name,but he didnt use Deez in it at all.It can be found easily what he says is the lineage of his NYCD.

If you read Soma's description he got one of the seeds (not from a breeders pack) but from bud/someone from New York's Bagseed - so how could he even claim confidently what the genetics are? I think he labeled the Diesel Seed he got "Mexican Sativa" since it was most likely Chem 91 - which acts like almost a straight sativa in it's head high.. If you ever smoke a nug of pure Chem '91, or Pure Original Diesel - it will be clear as day to you that it is in NYCD. It's like opening up an Oz of Haze - it's immediately apparent what it is, and if it is fake or not.

Soma Seeds - NYC Diesel

Genetik: Mexican Sativa x Afghani
Indica: 40% / Sativa: 60%
Flowering: 10 - 12 weeks
Minimum yield: 25 grams

The N.Y.C Diesel has its roots in the Big Apple, a friend brought the seeds and said that it was the best pot he ever smoked, he had dreads down to the ground so I believed him. This Cannabis tastes and smells like Ripe Red Grap efruits, once you touch the fresh buds you can not smell the other strains in your room or garden. New York City Diesel will leave you an Exotic Taste, an Exotic Smell and an Exotic High.

"soma got his diesel from a bagseed from a buddy from NYC or at least thats how soma described it. his diesel could be an s1 of original diesel, underdawg, sour d, or any other b/c it sounds like all of them in nyc gets mixed up pretty easily (due to similar heritage) unless youre really in the loop and have access to all of them and know heritage. that leaves a range of options for soma's expression of his bagseed diesel momma. and yes, his nyc diesel is not pure diesel, his first hybrid that won the awards was that diesel bag momma cross shanti's afghani/hawaiian male. i believe the current seeds sold by soma are a first backcross to his diesel mom."

FullyMeltedDome

Veteran
OK,it could be anything.There was another Breeder on the grassy knoll,lol.But i have grown Chem 91,Chem d and ECSD for years.My cuts are 100% the real deal without a doubt,seein who gifted them to me,they could be nothing but.All im sayin is that Soma said there was no Deez in his NYCD in the past,and after years of smoking and growing the above Cuts and smoking NYCD(never grown it),they dont even taste the least bit familiar to me,but i could be taste blind,lol.But as you said,things could have been mislabled or just messed up.Never smoked Original Deisel,only ECSD.But theres so many stories goin around that I believe what i know from who told me certain things about The Chem /ECSD clones,as far as how they were aquired ,grown and subsequently named from that pound of weed purchased at a DEAD Show.But all that has nothing to do with NYCD,so your theory could be right on the money..I have nothing at all even remotely on the inside as far as Somas NYCD,so i can only comment that i dont see any traits of NYCD in the ECSD,ChemD or 91 personnaly.You taste Deez in NYCD?Is it Original Deez or the ECSD?Do they have distinctly different tastes as far as Deisel?Id like to try Original Deisel, cuz i love the ECSD,and anything named Original Deisel has to be slammin.Imyself love threads and posts were different theorys or opinions are givin as people try to get to the bottom of the story,lol.Aint tryin to be out of line or anything,just curious.:tiphat:

Bi0hazard

Veteran
FullyMeltedDome,

Great post. You are absolutely right about it being up in the air - who knows what strain the seed soma got came from. NYCD would be closer to the original diesel/chem 91 smell/taste than ECSD in my experience. But it is definitely a background taste/smell and not exactly the main full olfactory force that hits you with NYCD. It has that chemmy earthy/pininess in the background of a couple samples I have tried - while others didn't express it as much.

I'm in the same boat as you with the ECSD coming straight from cut as well as the OD,while my NYCD experiences were all from others who grew the seed stock. a far fetched possibility is the unknown genetics behind the Chemdawg lineage could be remotely related to the genetics behind the mystery seed that went into NYCD. Although that is pretty unlikely, but who knows? For a period of time the Chemdawg and Original Diesel's were pretty tightly held by select people - so it could be that someone gave Soma a S1 or Cut without permission (Purely Hypothetical Speculation here). And soma made up some mystical story about a guy with dreads down to his feet; one of those 'this seed fell out of the sky' stories. If it was just a Dam cross that happened to smell like Diesel - why have some story about it coming from a rasta in NY City, and have it called NY diesel - then turn around and label it as "Mexican Sativa" in the strain description? Not to stir any drama, this is all hypothetical - but a possibility for why there is a discrepancy in labeling. Things get labeled incorrectly to protect genetics passing hands without peoples permission. All I know is that for me, more than 1 NYCD pheno I had definitely had the chemmy background - with an affie/Hawaiian forefront.

What do others feel about this? Anyone tried a lot of NYCD phenos as well as ECSD, and hopefully Original Diesel or Chem 91? Do you feel they share any smell/taste whether in the background or forefront. Or any of the other chemdog's?

Dank Regards,

Bi0hazard

sweet-emotion

Veteran
I would try to guess what NYCD is by growing/smoking it...Here's my story....I live in Argentina....one very respected guy in the outdoor growing scene bought a couple of feminized seeds 4 years ago and kept clones of both plants...1 was pretty short and bushy,..."indica pheno"....the other was like a "tall lanky sativa pheno"...but both had that red grapefruit smell Soma claims...one friend of mine got a clone of the Indica pheno, and ran it 2 or 3 times, being the second time when he got the best results...amazing compact buds, smell and high...

now, I got a clone of the Sativa pheno...and will try to make the best out of it....

anyway, I think NYCD is a fine strain, whatever it is...and if you find a keeper, it's always nice to have a little to smoke

Space Case

Veteran
I LOOOVVVEEE my Sour D cut, however, Soma's NYCD Ruby Red Grapefruit pheno is some damn amazing smoke. Nothing like Sour D, but still in my top 10 to great smoke!

bad seed from REZ

bad seed from REZ

Hello,
I come here to say that on the last seeds of Sour Diesel de REZ, all are HERMAPHRODITE.
On 10graines germinated, 7mâles, 3hermas for 150euros.
It is shameful to see his(her,its)!
I am in France, and here the other persons meetings exactly the same problems... Males(mates), hermas.
Have no it of the serious work, the varieties so unstable should not be launched on the market.
I repeat it is shameful!
Stop REZ in all never!

Tarbosh

Ok,

So recently - I've had the honor of finally getting my hands on some LEGIT NYC Diesel.

I have been smoking Sour D forever - all the way back to the 2003-05 days when legit clone only non-watered down cuts were floating around. The ones that had those super neon green buds with legit integrity in the bud structure and red and purple hues within the finest of samples.... Mouth watering to think of....

Yet, the LEGIT NYC Diesel has always alluded me - UNTIL NOW!

I had the pleasure of coming across some legit NYC D - and had a vack packed head stasshy of the best indo sours I've come across RECENTLY....

and in my honest and humble opinion.... the NYC D wins....

I would have never thought... NEVER... that the Sours could be topped by its close cousin....

Few of the Kushes have come close to Sour D.... and until recently nothing has knocked it off its throne in its own specific category.... of Chem D Lineage / Family....

However, tube rips side by side tells the NYCD to have a much more well rounded HIGH....

The strain is complete in and of itself. The balance of all characteristics brings it around to a full culminating experience of wonderfulness....

Its like the mutual orgasm of the Diesel/Chem Lineage/Family....

and Sours is like quart of cum all over her face.... haha

Sours Reigns in potency of herb that just has the blindsiding force of SMACKING you in the face and leaving you in a DAZE (also tried that one)..... with just that great first time smoke, bag appeal and over all attraction to any cannoisseur....

However for me - the NYC D is COMPLETE in and of itself... the Sour's just includes one aspect of the spectrum of Highs....

I feel it is important to comment on the genetic integrity of the Sours and how its been watered down and diluted over time due to poor breeding practices and the introduction of an IBL that is sub par (if you dont believe me - look whats hitting the streets these days).... and how far it has come from the original Sours....

Sour D as I know it - and from speaking with some of the people connected with the original crew that developed it when OverGrow was still online....

Is (Chem Dawg from Colorado x Mass Super skunk) accidentally underpolinated by a hermaphroditic NL5 (another one of my favvvv strains) - grown in the same room....

However I don't know the lineage for sure of the orignal NYC D... I may have learned it along the way (maybe the orig cross of Chem X MASS SS) but I was more focused and concerned on the sour at the time... as I have and had never come across the NYC until now....

When I spoke to a manhattan D-Serv character - he told me that when he got the NYC it would fly out.... people would buy his stock up as soon as they knew it was available... and yet hes had some top quality sour that hasn't moved nearly as quick!

So if anyone knows that lineage - I'd love to hear it.... there is just so much CRAP floating around the internet about the Sours and the NYCD... most of the NYCD relating to Soma's - which is not NYCD - and btw I have burned it down with that man over in A-Dam - very cool cat and a pleasure to be around.... 2010 IC-MAG 420 Cup!~

So any unique experiences - are genuinely appreciated here - or any insights into the lineage and such - also so....

Please refrain from Trolling.... ie, Sours is the shit nothing can top it....

As I am looking for Connoisseurs with distinct palates and the ability to discern complex flavors and view a strain as a balanced work of art....

Cheers,

Bosh

Latest posts

Latest posts