What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Skunk One could it be done.

dezman

As far as i understand, RSC did the last Mazar i Sharif-repro with a small seed stock ..think they used Mazari seeds gifted back to them By their own customers

Now, this doesn't automatically mean that the new stock isn't any good, but it kinda put me off.
You can read about it on their helpdesk at another canna-forum

Another thing..
Not all Mazaris are extremely skunky, like the one Sam Skunkman used in his Skunk#1, so you'd need a good bunch of seeds to find the skunky ones
:)
Yes that is true. And yes he will need lots or really good luck to find what he's looking for.

S

sourpuss

mk ultra has that roadkill skunk to it. ive read karma saying how u can cross 2 strains that contain the genetics your looking for and find the recreation in the offspring.... seeems to be a little easier than starting from scratch...

just to be clear. id take mk ultra and another skunky strain like shoreline and let them get busy...

GoatCheese

Veteran
I'm currently trying to source the genetics to remake the skunk.
I'll be going the dank skunky route, not the sweet.
Finding a good Colombian and the Acapulco gold is the hardest part.

Anyone with any tips or ideas, pm me.

Mangobiche Colombian ..it has been cleaned in inbred By Cannabiogen for few generations

AmericanShamen

mk ultra has that roadkill skunk to it. ive read karma saying how u can cross 2 strains that contain the genetics your looking for and find the recreation in the offspring.... seeems to be a little easier than starting from scratch...

just to be clear. id take mk ultra and another skunky strain like shoreline and let them get busy...

That sounds like that would be a One hell of a hybrid, especially if taken the time to run the line in different environments over time .

and as to all the other users thanks for the post, i was curious if it would work just in general staring from scratch i know its not simple or adventitious, but knowing that its a shot in the dark and working to bring back something almost gone would be fun as hell ,and no telling what else could be found even comming close to SK1 would be nice., just the pure nostalgia and working on the project .

GoatCheese

Veteran
^^^
Well all you pretty much need is an ultra skunky Afghani and you're good to go. ..find some nice sativas and do something of your own.

Here's some gathered info about the make-up and breed of Skunk#1 (Afghan/Columbian Gold X Acapulco Gold)
Notice all replies are by Sam himself so nobody has to speculate any more.

Q: "Sam, do you think the RKS was a Colombian/Afghan pheno or was it a mexican/afghan pheno? Or was it somewhere in the middle? It seems that a simple Afghan/Colombian cross could bring about some skunky individuals in my opinion."
It was an Afghan/Columbian Gold X Acapulco Gold. This is well known.

-SamS
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1865412&postcount=504

Q: "sam...was the afghan or columbian you used really skunky as hell to begin with?"
The Afghan was.
-SamS
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1865299&postcount=502

Q: "From which region of Afghanistan did the 'Afghan' in 'Skunk #1' come from?"
Mazar, but then crossed with a Columbian, then selfed, then the hybrid crossed with Acapulco Gold to make it a bit earlier.
But to be honest in the same seed batch from Afghanistan you will find many phenos, remember they may have thousands of females that the seeds came from, as well as thousands of males hitting every one of the females, so that is a lot of possible combos.....

[...]
-SamS
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1528952&postcount=163

Q:"By selfed do you mean you made feminised Mazar x Colombian seeds then crossed one of these females to an Acapulco male?"

[...]

No one made feminized seeds until after 1990, I selfed the MazarXColombian hybrids to other MazarXColombian hybrids. This was in the early 70's.

-SamS

https://www.icmag.com/ic/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1530714

..and then later Sam bred it into the sweeter, fruity version of Skunk#1
Peace

Last edited:

mack 10

Veteran
Nice compilation. I will use it as my roadmap.
First i need to collect the best Colombian and afghan to begin the journey..
We need everyone's support on this one.

mack 10

Veteran
At the same time I'm going to use a stand in for each,
Ie. Something chem like as the mazar, etc.
Just for fun to see how close I can blend them.

acespicoli

I have been following this skunk hunt for 25 years, I have to say Halloween is the best time of the year to look. We used to get old merch bricked up bag seed plant it and come fall never a colored hair besides white. Immature grass tasting (leaf) airy buds. Luckily around the same time we started getting great hash from middle east circa 1989. Then there was the sieved blonde hash everyone called the Lebanese!
The Acapulco gold came our way much earlier along with that stuff tied on a stick from Thailand in the 80's.... The thai was hallucinogenic and much fun in large doses ....more than couch locked red eyed take a nap and wake up with the munchies and cotton mouth afghani (it is nice for nap time). The nice part was it the (afghani) added bulk and early finishing!

I had the old skunk seeds for years and lost them....I have been looking into getting them back.
Where do you guys upload your photos?

MTNMEN

aint gonna happen in our lifetime...unless sam makes it happen. loved ol skool skunk. all time fave. stuff just dont smell as good anymore. getting nostalgia now...time to roll one...

I must disagree oh no sir..........i must say your wrong. See where i live i know for a fact some oldschool heads moved away from "certain area's" and moved up by me to escape (whatever it was at the time) that was bothering them and a few that made the move back in the 50's and 60's brought skunk here. It comes around once or twice a season and is ALWAYS like it used to be. These folks dont even have a phone line, let alone go to a seedbank! So i imagine if someone could convince some of the great varietals hoarders to get off some stock its DEF FEASEABLE!

MTNMEN

I have been following this skunk hunt for 25 years, I have to say Halloween is the best time of the year to look. We used to get old merch bricked up bag seed plant it and come fall never a colored hair besides white. Immature grass tasting (leaf) airy buds. Luckily around the same time we started getting great hash from middle east circa 1989. Then there was the sieved blonde hash everyone called the Lebanese!
The Acapulco gold came our way much earlier along with that stuff tied on a stick from Thailand in the 80's.... The thai was hallucinogenic and much fun in large doses ....more than couch locked red eyed take a nap and wake up with the munchies and cotton mouth afghani (it is nice for nap time). The nice part was it the (afghani) added bulk and early finishing!

I had the old skunk seeds for years and lost them....I have been looking into getting them back.
Where do you guys upload your photos?

IDK if your aware of this or not but in the 50's and 60's thousands of lebanese came to the eastcoast via montreal, and they had GIFTS! I remember the "lebanese" all too well, i also remember my uncle getting popped in the saint lawrence seaway ......
http://articles.latimes.com/1992-08-17/news/mn-5163_1_canadian-history

Fucken student out watching whales..............why couldnt they just kept going........lol miss that hash man!

Dankwolf

I must disagree oh no sir..........i must say your wrong. See where i live i know for a fact some oldschool heads moved away from "certain area's" and moved up by me to escape (whatever it was at the time) that was bothering them and a few that made the move back in the 50's and 60's brought skunk here. It comes around once or twice a season and is ALWAYS like it used to be. These folks dont even have a phone line, let alone go to a seedbank! So i imagine if someone could convince some of the great varietals hoarders to get off some stock its DEF FEASEABLE!

100% correct. There is always more then one way to skin a cat .

RKS smell is/was a recessive trait and very hard to 'fix'. Old Afghani lines would be a good place to start IMO. That and LARGE plant counts, by that I mean 100's or 1000's of plants to search through. I know several breeders have worked on RKS the last few years and I haven't seen/read/heard of anybody doing it yet.
Good luck on your project.