What's new

Serious Seeds Females

Claude

Veteran
Hi,

How do I get a Serious Seeds section (Seeds vendor Forum) here??

Respect
Claude

Claude

Veteran
Hi,

I think that when female seeds started breeders were doing it with geberilic acid. Geberilic acid will trigger maleness in female plants to some extent.
At that time it was the coolest thing but the result was not so good with allot of hermaphrodite. So peoples remember that and stick with that old experiment.
Now breeders use other thing to change the sex of the hole plant, resulting in a much better result. But it is like with the gibberelic acid; some plants respond easier to this then others. Because most seedcompanies use plants which respond easier to sex changing treatments, the result is that many feminized seeds will give rise to a (much) higher % of hermie plants compared to regular seeds. Sure you could get an hermie again if the plant get stressed.

So if you do not want hermie it is best to buy Serious feminized. (you simply do these little trick.)
Start your seed in a wet paper towel, spread the seeds on the wet towel, place another wet towel on top of it, keep the plate vertical to let water drip off, then put into a large zip-lock.
Place the plate vertical so that the young roots will grow straight down. Be assure to have the towel flat in the bag. Place in a warm place (80F), but not above 25 Celsius or maleness is promoted.
make the setup a way that the seeds are in the dark. They should pop in 48 hours. Place the germs root down the hole of the medium your using.

You should use a dome and place under HPS or MH (better) far away from the young plants, or under a much weaker florescent tube. With a fluorescent you need to help the s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g seedling from breaking with a pipecleaner or something similar. Keep temperature low, (70F)
Let it sprout and let them grow for a while. Till there are 3 set of leaves.
Then start giving them more fresh air by removing the dome for 10 min first and extend that time every day till you see that they are comfortable.
Then put under veg light (MH) distance will depend on the lamp wattage.
Always keep a low temperature and 50% humidity when in veg state. Let grow the size you need and then trigger the flowering by giving them a 36 hours dark period.

You should get all feminized seed female that way.

Regards
Claude

Sideshow-Bob

Veteran
Hi Claude :)

Firstoff: very cool to have you here and great to hear that there might be a serious seeds forum around here :woohoo:

Hi,

I think that when female seeds started breeders were doing it with geberilic acid. Geberilic acid will trigger maleness in female plants to some extent.
At that time it was the coolest thing but the result was not so good with allot of hermaphrodite. So peoples remember that and stick with that old experiment.
Now breeders use other thing to change the sex of the hole plant, resulting in a much better result. But it is like with the gibberelic acid; some plants respond easier to this then others. Because most seedcompanies use plants which respond easier to sex changing treatments, the result is that many feminized seeds will give rise to a (much) higher % of hermie plants compared to regular seeds. Sure you could get an hermie again if the plant get stressed.

So if you do not want hermie it is best to buy Serious feminized. (you simply do these little trick.)

Are you familiar with the company female seeds? their description of how they make their fems seems to go in the same direction... that the first task is to find a "true" (genetic) female, as with those plants the results are pretty stable...

their explination always made sense to me... especially because their product backs it up (grapefruit f.e. is a fantastic fem seedline), and also because i'm a firm believer that the sex of a plant is determined by it's genes...

Place in a warm place (80F), but not above 25 Celsius or maleness is promoted.

and that's were i'm wondering, this theory doesn't really fit in with the believe that cold enviroment promotes maleness (well it does but only with hermies not with true females)

do you know simons view about this topic? if not could you please ask his opinion?

Start your seed in a wet paper towel, spread the seeds on the wet towel, place another wet towel on top of it, keep the plate vertical to let water drip off, then put into a large zip-lock.
Place the plate vertical so that the young roots will grow straight down. Be assure to have the towel flat in the bag.

also wondering about your tip on germing seeds... imho best way is to put them in the medium, give them warmth and let them in peace and not play around with plates, towels, water or what not... don't know how many seeds i already germed but must have been a few hundreds, and i nearly always get 100% rates...

Let grow the size you need and then trigger the flowering by giving them a 36 hours dark period.

could you elaborate on why the 36 hours of darkness would trigger flowering more than 12 hours of darkness?

i hope you understand that my questions are no rambling, but serious interest...

just bought a pack of kali mist yesterday and ordered another one together with some western winds, this will be my first grow with serious genetics from seed and my expectations are very high - already tried at least 5 different kali mist phenos and all were good, 2 were exceptional :)

greetz

Claude

Veteran
Hi Claude :)

Firstoff: very cool to have you here and great to hear that there might be a serious seeds forum around here :woohoo:

Are you familiar with the company female seeds? their description of how they make their fems seems to go in the same direction... that the first task is to find a "true" (genetic) female, as with those plants the results are pretty stable...

their explination always made sense to me... especially because their product backs it up (grapefruit f.e. is a fantastic fem seedline), and also because i'm a firm believer that the sex of a plant is determined by it's genes...

and that's were i'm wondering, this theory doesn't really fit in with the believe that cold enviroment promotes maleness (well it does but only with hermies not with true females)

do you know simons view about this topic? if not could you please ask his opinion?

also wondering about your tip on germing seeds... imho best way is to put them in the medium, give them warmth and let them in peace and not play around with plates, towels, water or what not... don't know how many seeds i already germed but must have been a few hundreds, and i nearly always get 100% rates...

could you elaborate on why the 36 hours of darkness would trigger flowering more than 12 hours of darkness?

i hope you understand that my questions are no rambling, but serious interest...

just bought a pack of kali mist yesterday and ordered another one together with some western winds, this will be my first grow with serious genetics from seed and my expectations are very high - already tried at least 5 different kali mist phenos and all were good, 2 were exceptional :)

greetz

First of thank you for your interest in Serious Seeds.

Cold enviroment should promote more female.

For germinating I was giving the fastest way to crack the seeds and it is also the most reliant one that we have found for beginers.

Yes the way your doing it is perfect and I am also using a simular method but with coco. This is good for regular grower as we know how to watch them.

I have noticed that when I am giving 36 hours darkness before flowering that I see the formation of the flowers begining faster.

KaliMist is realy something appart, I like it to.

Thank you again for your interest.

Respect
Claude

l33t

Veteran
Hi Claude

Regarding the 36hr darkness before going to flowering lighting,
although it seems to induce flowering faster (yes it works) , I 've heard some people had bad results (stressed plants) with this method with certain strains.

What are your thoughts on this?

Claude said:
Place in a warm place (80F), but not above 25 Celsius or maleness is promoted.

80F = 26.66 degrees Celsius

"Now breeders use other thing to change the sex of the hole plant, resulting in a much better result. But it is like with the gibberelic acid; some plants respond easier to this then others. Because most seedcompanies use plants which respond easier to sex changing treatments, the result is that many feminized seeds will give rise to a (much) higher % of hermie plants compared to regular seeds. Sure you could get an hermie again if the plant get stressed.

..... "

You should get all feminized seed female that way.

Could you explain the method used by Serious Seeds to reverse sex of the whole plant , which you say is superior to other methods?
Are chemicals used? If yes which ones?

Your proposed tips for getting all feminized seed to grow only females seem to be environment related and you seem to focus only on the first stages of the plants life. What about later stages? Any tips for that ?

And what about a less 'ideal' environment?

Like outdoors for example where in certain areas of the world the temps are always above the proposed ones ?

Should customers from these areas avoid the feminized seeds in order to avoid hermi problems and go with regular seeds instead?

I dont have much experience with feminized seeds I ve only grown 20 or so fem seeds didnt have hermi problems with those and STS was used to reverse sex

I personally prefer regular seeds myself for various reasons.

anyway hope you can answer my questions

all the best

l33t

Claude

Veteran
Hi Claude

Regarding the 36hr darkness before going to flowering lighting,
although it seems to induce flowering faster (yes it works) , I 've heard some people had bad results (stressed plants) with this method with certain strains.

What are your thoughts on this?
This what I do since 5 year with Serious strains and I had no problem with it.

80F = 26.66 degrees Celsius

My bad it is 25C

Could you explain the method used by Serious Seeds to reverse sex of the whole plant , which you say is superior to other methods?
Are chemicals used? If yes which ones?
I am sorry but I can not give you this answer but It is superior to Geberilic Acid to make feminized

Your proposed tips for getting all feminized seed to grow only females seem to be environment related and you seem to focus only on the first stages of the plants life. What about later stages? Any tips for that ?
This method is also good for regular seeds and will promote more female. For the other stage of the grow you do as usual. You give air food and light in a light seal room
And what about a less 'ideal' environment?

Like outdoors for example where in certain areas of the world the temps are always above the proposed ones ?

Should customers from these areas avoid the feminized seeds in order to avoid hermi problems and go with regular seeds instead?
The proposed method is for the beginers mosly but apply to those who want to try our method. For the less ideal environmentis the same. (do not stress the plant to much). Customer from hotter area is the same again for cracking the seeds and the first 3 week of grow
I dont have much experience with feminized seeds I ve only grown 20 or so fem seeds didnt have hermi problems with those and STS was used to reverse sex

I personally prefer regular seeds myself for various reasons.
Simon also

anyway hope you can answer my questions

all the best

l33t

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have seen these avail now. I was told that the regular line of seeds for serious has drop so bad that Simon needed to make Fem seeds. Lets hope that it does not get any worse for one of our favorite seed companies.

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
His seed sales have probably dropped because everyone has already tryed them or passing them around. We need new strains Simon not fem seeds! Please :)

Claude

Veteran
I have seen these avail now. I was told that the regular line of seeds for serious has drop so bad that Simon needed to make Fem seeds. Lets hope that it does not get any worse for one of our favorite seed companies.

"Common" I do not beleive it how you can think that of Serious Seeds.
A guy told me that a friend... This is urban story.
Serious have always keep one of the best quality seeds on the market. I am sure allot of peoples agree with me. We have very few complaint and when we do we always measure the complaint and if necessary we will replace the seeds.
And I will make it clear " I Claude have pushed Simon to do feminized because we were having to many peoples who wanted Serious Seeds quality feminized seeds".

Please you should ask a Serious Seeds grower to tell you if we have lower our quality!!

Respect
Claude

Claude

Veteran
His seed sales have probably dropped because everyone has already tryed them or passing them around. We need new strains Simon not fem seeds! Please :)
Hi,
You should have read the hole thread as we do have a new strain and it is call Serious 6.
This is 70 Sativa 30 Indica that harvest outside in the middle of September in Netherlands and Canada and take 8 weeks inside.
this is of medium yeild. It smell and taste like citronella.

Respect
Claude

eugenegreen

herbalist
Veteran
Hi,
You should have read the hole thread as we do have a new strain and it is call Serious 6.
This is 70 Sativa 30 Indica that harvest outside in the middle of September in Netherlands and Canada and take 8 weeks inside.
this is of medium yeild. It smell and taste like citronella.

Respect
Claude

Ah yes, but I've read the whole thread and purpleknowledge's question; you did not correctly answer his question, and I myself have one, since I'm interested...

You stated Serious Six will only be feminized, a few pages back... I like what I've read about this strain, but don't care for em beans in feminized form... When will standard (seesh, I can't believe it's come to this!) Serious Six beans be available for us oldschool (really?!?!) cats??? One Love :rasta:

Claude

Veteran
Ah yes, but I've read the whole thread and purpleknowledge's question; you did not correctly answer his question, and I myself have one, since I'm interested...

You stated Serious Six will only be feminized, a few pages back... I like what I've read about this strain, but don't care for em beans in feminized form... When will standard (seesh, I can't believe it's come to this!) Serious Six beans be available for us oldschool (really?!?!) cats??? One Love :rasta:

Hi,
I stated that Simon would have regular seeds of the Serious 6 when I have just sent to him the rest of my gene pool.
Will he use them to find a good father or will he inbreed the new strain that is him who know but that can take at lease 2 years to stabilize.

Respect
Claude

eugenegreen

herbalist
Veteran
Oh no. This is what I did not want to see. I thought Simon was against it, but I guess not. First the degradation of there original lines, and now, femmed beans. Serious is/was my favorite seed bank. Now, I'm not so sure.:badday:

These were 11 days ago

I still find the value in male and female seeds. If that is short sighted, then so be it.
Recent reports of problems with strains from Serious, is sad, no matter how you look at it.

Bro, seriously? 11 days and your opinion on fem beans have shifted so dramatically? Not at all harshing you bro, not my style and I barely ever post... Just curious why you changed your mind is all..

By the way, it's all love:D... A buddy of I n' I came through with some DANK haze nuggies, and man this shit is analytical, like ocd analytical... Just running through this thread, and now I like these beans too:D But not lesbian one though:joint:

I love lesbians too:D, just not the ladies I keep in me closet :rasta:

one