What's new

Senate Bill S 510 Food Safety Modernization Act vote imminent: Would outlaw gardening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scout

Gramps, love the Goethe quote....haven't had a chance to read anything from him yet.

Brings to mind what Nietzche says about the state in Zarathustra in the section called The New Idol.
http://nietzsche.thefreelibrary.com/Thus-Spake-Zarathustra/13-1

'Many too many are born: for the superfluous ones was the state devised!
See just how it enticeth them to it, the many-too-many! How it swalloweth and cheweth and recheweth them!
"On earth there is nothing greater than I: it is I who am the regulating finger of God"--thus roareth the monster. And not only the long-eared and short-sighted fall upon their knees!'

This bill and many others like this over the past 20-30 years seem to channel many of the pitfalls taken in the dysfunctional, waning days of the Roman empire. We collectively play our part in the archetype that was Rome today in real time. And as with Rome, we will surely face our Great Tribulation or population bottleneck because of how the system has been designed.! In order for us to truly be Free, we will need to have our grand exodus back to Paradise.......

sac beh

It looks like this bill passed in a form that leaves no more fuel for the fear and conspiracy folks, if there ever was any real fuel to begin with.

Bills passing through Congress are like patents in the US patent office, there's a lot of crazy shit in there because in a free country even fools are allowed to write up documents and contribute to legislation. But the ones that actually get approved or have some effect on you go through enough bureaucracy that they almost always come out mundane and boring. How disappointing.

It may seem funny folks; but I really can't laugh, especially that there's politicians out there who are audacious enough to promote such evil. With all this shit going on, people can't afford to buy, so they have to grow some food. It sounds like the powers are actually on a mission of a supreme power grab, & with the ability to commit genocide. If that shit passes, the people will lose it!

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It looks like this bill passed in a form that leaves no more fuel for the fear and conspiracy folks, if there ever was any real fuel to begin with.

Bills passing through Congress are like patents in the US patent office, there's a lot of crazy shit in there because in a free country even fools are allowed to write up documents and contribute to legislation. But the ones that actually get approved or have some effect on you go through enough bureaucracy that they almost always come out mundane and boring. How disappointing.

Do you mean the ones the congressmen and senators dont actually read?

Like the patriot act that makes protesting the govt. an act of terrorism?

I am sure the slide of the USA into a fascist state run by the mega banks and corps is all just a figment of our paranoid delusions.

If we just close our eyes and count to ten the bad men will have all gone away. :smoke:

sac beh

Do you mean the ones the congressmen and senators dont actually read?

Yeah, those.

Like the patriot act that makes protesting the govt. an act of terrorism?

I've seen a lot of healthy protesting with the Patriot Act in place. How about you? Have they rounded you up and tortured you yet? In fact, the Patriot Act is the archetype of bills that are overhyped with fear and conspiracy about 10 times more than seems necessary once its passed.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the bill. But I'm also not going to preach fear of it when its clear the fear factor didn't work out how you all wanted it to. You would have liked that the government started rounding people up, raiding our homes, torturing pot growers, etc. so that the fears would have seemed well-founded. But its just not reality.

I am sure the slide of the USA into a fascist state run by the mega banks and corps is all just a figment of our paranoid delusions.

If we just close our eyes and count to ten the bad men will have all gone away. :smoke:

I get tired of repeating this. Fear and apathy are not the only options. I always get the same response when I try to debunk the overhyped fear: "Oh, you must be apathetic then." No, its just that this thread is another case of statements of fear and hate for the government being waaaaay improportional to the reality of the thing being discussed. And people start joining in to bemoan the state of the country and what this bill will do without even researching it a bit first

Scout

"But its just not reality." Sac beh

The big question Sac beh is can it be reality? Just because it is not commonplace now does not mean it will continue this way indefinitely. The trends just do not agree with your current assessment on reality. We are not truly living in a "free" country, although you may be able to live a freer lifestyle than most; be blessed that you can. Unlike you, I can no longer accept and believe in the myth narrative conditioned for us(Americans especially) since birth.

If one begins to explore human history with an open mind, one should begin to see the patterns outlining certain major events during the ages among the many great cultures and civilizations before us. Unfortunately for 21st century Earth, a major event will most likely materialize in the next 20 years. This is not fear but awareness. I do not fear death. I do not fear nations corrupt beyond repair. Neither should anyone else. I respect your call to reason and rational discussion of the issues at hand.

I will leave with this interesting take on a major event of the past regarding Venice and that part of Europe in 1300-1400s:
"The Black Guelph bankers of Florence did not simply loan money to monarchs, and then expect repayment with interest. In fact, interest was often “officially” not charged on the loans, since usury was considered a sin and a crime among Christians. Rather, like the International Monetary Fund today, the banks imposed “conditionalities” on the loans. The primary conditionality was the pledging of royal revenues directly to the bankers—the clearest sign that the monarchs lacked national sovereignty against the Black Guelph “privateers.” Since in Fourteenth-century Europe, important commodities like food, wool, clothing, salt, iron, etc., were produced only under royal license and taxation, bank control of royal revenue led to, first, private monopolization of production of these commodities, and second, the banks' “privatization” and control of the functions of royal government itself."
http://www.schillerinstitute.org/fid_91-96/954_Gallagher_Venice_rig.html

Cheers!

sac beh

I agree with pretty much all you're saying, Scout, and I don't think my assessment disagrees with yours particularly.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I aint trying to generate fear or loathing.

Just awareness.

I truly believe the chains can be thrown off and we can live in peace and prosperity. The first step in that process is pointing out the snakes and charlatans... like the federal reserve and monsanto.

Things are going to change. Big time. Be prepared as best as you can.

Growing our own healthy food is #1 to being free. This bill aims to kill that stone dead.

Overgrow the bastards to oblivion!

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Well we have nothing to worry about apparently

Selling and sharing from your small garden: Opponents have also suggested that the bill would basically outlaw the sale and distribution of fruits and vegetables grown in backyard gardens. This is not the case. As SB 510 is currently worded, small growers who sell their goods at food co-ops, farmer's markets, roadside stands, etc., wouldn't have to register with the FDA -- though they would still have to comply with whatever state and local food laws are in effect in their area.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo...how-the-new-food-safety-bill-might-affect-you

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
The dude that runs naturalnews.com is a quack, I hate him so much (my father on the other hand, believes EVERYTHING he reads on that site.) Ol' Dad has decided modern medicine is completely, 100% useless. Never cured a single disease.

Thanks for nothin naturalnews.

Justin_Credible

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary....
Veteran
A bill like that would never pass and if it did it would be almost immediately struck down as unconstitutional. It would be political suicide for any politician to support a bill that makes illegal the very thing that helpped the US survive World Wars I and II.

:yeahthats

Just silly, plain and simple. We can't allow the gov to take even more control over our lives. This bill serves no purpose what so ever other then to line the pockets of more corrupt politicians. :wallbash:

:scripture:
I'm done...

HempKat

Veteran
:yeahthats

Just silly, plain and simple. We can't allow the gov to take even more control over our lives. This bill serves no purpose what so ever other then to line the pockets of more corrupt politicians. :wallbash:

:scripture:
I'm done...

I guess you haven't read any of it and you're only reacting to the claim it will make home gardens illegal. The wording was originally there to make it seeming like that was the goal but all that crap was either removed or reworded so as to not threaten home gardens.

The bill does in fact serve a legitimate purpose to try to make food safer. Which in light of the problems we've had the past few years with food poisoning in lettuce, tomatoes, beef, etc. is something this country definately needs to do. As it stands without this law we have to depend on companies to do the right thing and pull bad food from the shelves. Unfortunately since it's voluntary they don't always do that. The main thing this bill does is give the FDA the power to force the companies to pull stuff.

The companies don't want this bill because it will force them to do these things which will make the cost to bring to market greater. They don't want to eat that cost but they also know the consumer is struggling and so if they pass the cost on to the consumer they'll still lose money. So rather then do the right thing they just put the spin out there that the government wants to make it illegal for you to grow your own food, in the hopes people will just buy into that and petition their representatives to not pass the bill.

As it stands now, the House passed one version, the Senate has passed another. So now it goes back to the House to be reconciled with the House Bill and then it goes on to the President.

Justin_Credible

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary....
Veteran
I guess you haven't read any of it and you're only reacting to the claim it will make home gardens illegal. The wording was originally there to make it seeming like that was the goal but all that crap was either removed or reworded so as to not threaten home gardens.

The bill does in fact serve a legitimate purpose to try to make food safer. Which in light of the problems we've had the past few years with food poisoning in lettuce, tomatoes, beef, etc. is something this country definately needs to do. As it stands without this law we have to depend on companies to do the right thing and pull bad food from the shelves. Unfortunately since it's voluntary they don't always do that. The main thing this bill does is give the FDA the power to force the companies to pull stuff.

The companies don't want this bill because it will force them to do these things which will make the cost to bring to market greater. They don't want to eat that cost but they also know the consumer is struggling and so if they pass the cost on to the consumer they'll still lose money. So rather then do the right thing they just put the spin out there that the government wants to make it illegal for you to grow your own food, in the hopes people will just buy into that and petition their representatives to not pass the bill.

As it stands now, the House passed one version, the Senate has passed another. So now it goes back to the House to be reconciled with the House Bill and then it goes on to the President.

:wave:
Thanks for the info Hempkat. Much appreciated. Is it not due to NAFTA that we are in this position in the 1st place? Did the Busch admin not use this to it's advantage by outsourcing even more of our veggies to Mexico? And in doing so did it not create the ecoli scare/s we had in the last 4+ years? I.E. no tomatoes at subway or mcdonald's this month due to e-coli? I think it had something to do with the fact that they were not using cow manure to fertilize? Instead they were using...ahem, something else??? Is this the sort of thing that the bill will address as well? As in, more resrtictions on what other countries can do with the veggies they are growing for us??? Clip it at the source???:tiphat:

J

juicepuddle

well it looks like they fucked up and the bill is dead in the water

http://www.naturalnews.com/030588_Food_Safety_bill_blue_slip.html

hallelujah

your avatar makes this such an awesome post

member.php

HempKat

Veteran
:wave:
Thanks for the info Hempkat. Much appreciated. Is it not due to NAFTA that we are in this position in the 1st place? Did the Busch admin not use this to it's advantage by outsourcing even more of our veggies to Mexico? And in doing so did it not create the ecoli scare/s we had in the last 4+ years? I.E. no tomatoes at subway or mcdonald's this month due to e-coli? I think it had something to do with the fact that they were not using cow manure to fertilize? Instead they were using...ahem, something else??? Is this the sort of thing that the bill will address as well? As in, more resrtictions on what other countries can do with the veggies they are growing for us??? Clip it at the source???:tiphat:

What I read focused more on things at home. We can't tell people in other countries how they have to do things. I would presume that we would inspect imported food more closely as part of a bill for food safety. Then again all of the food safety issues I'm thinking about happened here in the USA on commercial farms and that's what the information I read about the bill focused on.

Status
Not open for further replies.