What's new

Senate Bill S 510 Food Safety Modernization Act vote imminent: Would outlaw gardening

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The country was in a shambles from the ass raping the previous administration gave the economy but it's on the rebound now.

Sigh......Still with the two party paradigm. It's the banks. It's the banks. It's the banks. Administrations are puppet shows.

LOL @ it's rebounding. :biglaugh:

Summer of Recovery!! Green shoots, unicorns, and fairy dust.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Sigh......Still with the two party paradigm. It's the banks. It's the banks. It's the banks. Administrations are puppet shows.

LOL @ it's rebounding. :biglaugh:

Summer of Recovery!! Green shoots, unicorns, and fairy dust.

Nope, you're assuming that what I'm saying is about the two party paradigm. I'm just stating facts. Like it or not the previous administration fucked up the economy. Notice I didn't say the Republicans did it. I said the previous administration because it happened on their watch and then they left the mess for the current administration.

Like it or not though the economy is rebounding. Sure it's not happening overnight like people like you, who believe in unicorns or fairy dust would like, but it is rebounding according to all the markers the we measure the economy by. What isn't rebounding though is employment. In days past employment and the economy went hand in hand, back when we actually had a manufacturing base. Now a days the economy and employment are seperate things. Since manufacturing is overseas we don't have to hire more here in America, to produce and sell more.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh right, right.... "Jobless recovery". Bankrupt and printing money to maintain the illusion. Hilarious. Let me know how that works out for you in the future.

Now a days the economy and employment are seperate things.

I just might add this to my signature. Talk about cognitive dissonance. What Ivy league college did you learn this little gem at?

And you think I believe in Unicorns. :biglaugh:

Last edited:

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
They do this not only for the cash but to protect their interests. They will go on and on about how unsafe it might be if ppl don't follow their rules .. It's all a money game and who has it and how do I keep it.. Our Gov. is corupt as the day is long..
The exact same rules apply here and they have ppl watching you to make sure you follow those rules.. Welcome to dictratorshit 101 lol peace out Headband707

HempKat

Veteran
Oh right, right.... "Jobless recovery". Bankrupt and printing money to maintain the illusion. Hilarious. Let me know how that works out for you in the future.

The jobs aren't the economy, therefore one can recover without the other. The problem is that for those who don't have a job it doesn't feel like recovery is happening.

Another thing that is also not the economy is the debt. The economy can recover and yet the nation still owes money to it's lenders. If you're so worried about the debt then you should focus more on demanding that government stops passing bills it doesn't have the money to pay for.

As for me and my future. Well I've been retired and living within my means for years. I mainly do this by not buying shit I can't afford just so I can be "cool" or "in style" or the "envy of friends and family". I don't need a job to survive and unless the whole country collapses, economy, government, etc. and we end up in a state of anarchy, then my future will always be manageable. How about yours?

Add whatever you like to your sig. Fact of the matter is, GDP is up, and yet employment is stagnent. What that means for intellectually challenged folks like yourself is that we don't need to hire more to produce more. I know the D implies what is made here but that's not how we operate anymore. Now we can count anything made anywhere in the world, just so long as it was made by an American owned company.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The jobs aren't the economy, therefore one can recover without the other. The problem is that for those who don't have a job it doesn't feel like recovery is happening.

Another thing that is also not the economy is the debt. The economy can recover and yet the nation still owes money to it's lenders. If you're so worried about the debt then you should focus more on demanding that government stops passing bills it doesn't have the money to pay for.

As for me and my future. Well I've been retired and living within my means for years. I mainly do this by not buying shit I can't afford just so I can be "cool" or "in style" or the "envy of friends and family". I don't need a job to survive and unless the whole country collapses, economy, government, etc. and we end up in a state of anarchy, then my future will always be manageable. How about yours?

Add whatever you like to your sig. Fact of the matter is, GDP is up, and yet employment is stagnent. What that means for intellectually challenged folks like yourself is that we don't need to hire more to produce more. I know the D implies what is made here but that's not how we operate anymore. Now we can count anything made anywhere in the world, just so long as it was made by an American owned company.

Lots of great Neo-Keyensian reasoning there. You, Larry Summers, and Uncle Ben Bernanke would make great beer drinking buddies.

If people don't have jobs then they can't spend money. Since we don't produce anything anymore 70% of our GDP is consumer spending. No jobs=no money= no GDP. The only reason GDP is up right now is because the FED is flooding the market with money. If the FED stops printing it's lights out, but if they keep printing your money will become worthless. It's a catch 22. Obviously, they are going to do what all failed economic empires do. Print money to cover up the mess until our bonds and fiat currency are worthless. The only way nations become great is if they produce stuff and save. We do neither. NONE. 0. Zilch. Nada. Can't fund the Empire like that. Just ask Rome.

I don't care about the debt anymore. It's too late to care. We are going to drive over the cliff anyway. So I say fuck it lets spend some more. The more the merrier. I moved out to the country after 08. Right on the lake with acreage. I'll be just dandy when or if the SHTF.

ibjamming

Veteran
Nope, you're assuming that what I'm saying is about the two party paradigm. I'm just stating facts. Like it or not the previous administration fucked up the economy. Notice I didn't say the Republicans did it. I said the previous administration because it happened on their watch and then they left the mess for the current administration.

Like it or not though the economy is rebounding. Sure it's not happening overnight like people like you, who believe in unicorns or fairy dust would like, but it is rebounding according to all the markers the we measure the economy by. What isn't rebounding though is employment. In days past employment and the economy went hand in hand, back when we actually had a manufacturing base. Now a days the economy and employment are seperate things. Since manufacturing is overseas we don't have to hire more here in America, to produce and sell more.

EVERY previous administration has fucked us up! You think Bush was the first?

Rebounding? $5-10 BILLION a day of taxpayer money being GIVEN away has something to do with it. It's "rebounding" without employment because the government is PAYING the unemployed...99 weeks and counting.

Remember...$5-9 BILLION almost every day! That's the yearly profits from a large corporation...EVERY DAY...just GIVEN to the banks to use to write things off and invest.

Earth is calling you...please pick up.

@ibjamming: Throughout corporations, lobbyists, politicians, and the devil there is a common thread though. Lawyers. If something has to be written in such language and terminology that it can't be understood by your average person, then it shouldn't be put into law.

Oh...don't get me started with lawyers! IF we actually had LAW it would be one thing...now we have corruption.

Lots of great Neo-Keyensian reasoning there. You, Larry Summers, and Uncle Ben Bernanke would make great beer drinking buddies.

If people don't have jobs then they can't spend money. Since we don't produce anything anymore 70% of our GDP is consumer spending. No jobs=no money= no GDP. The only reason GDP is up right now is because the FED is flooding the market with money. If the FED stops printing it's lights out, but if they keep printing your money will become worthless. It's a catch 22. Obviously, they are going to do what all failed economic empires do. Print money to cover up the mess until our bonds and fiat currency are worthless. The only way nations become great is if they produce stuff and save. We do neither. NONE. 0. Zilch. Nada. Can't fund the Empire like that. Just ask Rome.

I don't care about the debt anymore. It's too late to care. We are going to drive over the cliff anyway. So I say fuck it lets spend some more. The more the merrier. I moved out to the country after 08. Right on the lake with acreage. I'll be just dandy when or if the SHTF.

Some people don't seem capable of overcoming their conditioning.

HempKat

Veteran

Nope, I don't drink.

Your argument might be valid if we had unemployment rates at the levels of the great depression. GDP is up because the vast majority of the public are working and spending. It's not up as much as it could be because finally American's are starting to work on saving more now that they see rainy days in the future. The Fed is printing money to pay for debt because right now the economy is too fragile to cut government programs that add to the debt and the only way we can afford to pay on our debt is to either cut spending (which we can't do right now) or print more money which we can do.

Personally I don't care about how fragile things are. I say cut spending wherever you can. If something is too fragile to survive without government support then it's to fragile to be in existence. Sure it may hurt at first because the nation has grown comfortable with how things are done these days but in the long run you got to separate the wheat from the chaff if you want things to get better and be stronger.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Healthcare is just fine in my country, I don't know what country you're from but in my country I go to the doctor, get whatever problem I have treated and that's it. Healthcare is just fine. Of course that's likely because congress didn't do jack to healthcare. What they did was reform health insurance. If you were on health insurance before though as many American's were, then the reform had no impact on you. The military is also fine in my Country, they did recently allow gays to start serving openly but they asked all the troops if they would mind first and the troops said, "go ahead, no problem".

The country was in a shambles from the ass raping the previous administration gave the economy but it's on the rebound now. Still even though they did do health insurance reform, and they did away with "Don't ask, Don't tell" that's just two things. There's alot more wrong with the country then those two things and those two things aren't even the most serious issues we need to deal with. So yeah it's still a do nothing congress because they get little done and what they do get done isn't even the things that affect the average citizen the most. I mean hell, they can take care of whether or not gays can serve openly but they can't even pass an annual budget?

Here's a list of accomplishments for 2010. I tried to get a list without all the fanfare but alas. It's also important to note that the opposition was in full force, even as a minority in both house and senate. The house passed hundreds of bills the senate ignored. And the opposition? More filibusters than ever. Enough to make the lame duck majority attempt to require filibusters instead of just threatening.

I know we need a working budget more than many of the accomplishments below. But we've never been so polarized on so many issues. The budget is possibly the most difficult bill to pass. We've got decades of good economic policy to emulate. Historical policy that proves itself with verified economic indicators. But a few of us want our cake and eat it too. Some of us have enough money to guarantee that government will struggle with such things as budgetary policy.

HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE:
ECONOMIC RECOVERY AND CREATING JOBS
AMERICAN RECOVERY AND REINVESTMENT ACT, enacted in early 2009, to jumpstart our economy, create and save 3.5 million jobs, give 98% of American workers a tax cut, and begin to rebuild America’s road, rail, and water infrastructure, with unprecedented accountability. (Signed into Law)
STUDENT AID & FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY ACT, making the largest investment in college aid in history – increasing Pell Grants, making college loans more affordable, and strengthening community colleges – while reducing the federal deficit by ending wasteful student loan subsidies to banks. (Signed into Law)
HIRE ACT, creating 300,000 jobs with tax incentives for businesses hiring unemployed Americans and to spur small business investment, and unleashing investments to rebuild infrastructure. (Signed into Law)
CASH FOR CLUNKERS, jump-starting the U.S. auto industry, with consumer incentives for trading in an old vehicle for one with higher fuel efficiency—spurring the sale of 700,000 vehicles. (Signed into Law)
WORKER, HOMEOWNERSHIP & BUSINESS ASSISTANCE ACT, boosting the economy with emergency aid for the unemployed, the 1st-time homebuyer tax credit, and tax relief for struggling businesses. (Signed into Law)
AMERICAN JOBS & CLOSING TAX LOOPHOLES, to prevent corporations from shipping jobs overseas at taxpayer expense, make Wall Street billionaires pay a fair tax on their income, and create jobs through R&D, small businesses, middle class tax relief, infrastructure, and summer jobs for youth. (Passed House & Senate)
SMALL BUSINESS JOBS & CREDIT ACT, to leverage billions in loans for small businesses through a lending fund for community banks and provide tax incentives to spur investment in small businesses and the formation of new small businesses; fully paid for. (Passed by House; on Senate Floor)

AFFORDABLE QUALITY HEALTH CARE

HEALTH INSURANCE REFORM, landmark legislation putting Americans—not insurance companies—in control of their own health care; making coverage affordable for families and small businesses; insuring 32 million Americans; strengthening Medicare; creating up to 4 million jobs; reducing the deficit. (Signed into law)
HEALTH CARE FOR 11 MILLION CHILDREN, providing cost-effective health coverage for 4 million more children and preserving coverage for 7 million children already enrolled. (Signed into Law)

FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY & GOVERNMENT REFORM
BUDGET BLUEPRINT, creating jobs with investments in health care, clean energy and education; cutting taxes for most Americans by $1.5 trillion; cutting Bush deficit by more than half by 2013. (Action Completed)
STATUTORY PAY-AS-YOU-GO, restoring 1990s law that turned record deficits into surpluses; Congress must offset new policies that cut revenues or increase mandatory spending (Signed into Law)
DEFENSE PROCUREMENT REFORM, cracking down on Pentagon waste and cost overruns. (Signed into Law)
DISCLOSE ACT, to fight a corporate takeover of our elections, requires them to disclose they are behind political ads; bans foreign-controlled corporations from putting money in U.S. elections. (Passed by House)

PROTECTING CONSUMERS
WALL STREET REFORM, historic reforms to end taxpayer-funded bailouts and the idea of ‘too big to fail’, and protect and empower consumers to make the best decisions on homes, credit cards, and their own financial future. A lack of accountability for Wall Street and big banks cost 8 million jobs. (Agreement on House Floor)
CREDIT CARDHOLDERS’ BILL OF RIGHTS, banning unfair rate hikes, abusive fees/ penalties. (Signed into Law)
LILLY LEDBETTER FAIR PAY, restoring rights of women and others to challenge unfair pay. (Signed into Law)

NATIONAL SECURITY/TROOPS AND VETERANS
VETERANS HEALTH CARE BUDGET REFORM & TRANSPARENCY ACT, ensuring reliable and timely veterans health care funding by authorizing Congress to approve VA medical care a year in advance. (Signed into Law)
FY 2010 DEFENSE AUTHORIZATION, authorizing 3.4% troop pay raise, strengthening military readiness and military families’ support, focusing our strategy in Afghanistan and redeployment from Iraq. (Signed into Law)
CAREGIVERS & VETERANS OMNIBUS HEALTH SERVICES, landmark legislation providing help to caregivers of disabled, ill or injured veterans, and improving VA health care services for women veterans. (Signed into Law)
http://spratt.house.gov/2010/07/accomplishments-of-the-111th-congress-1.shtml
We may benefit from heath care reform, as long as the bottom line increases at a lower rate. The old game was contributing to our economic demise. One sixth GDP and growing? That's a recipe for failure, just like our bloated defense budget.

IMO, we should have demanded the public option. A public option would have gone a long way toward insurance reform. People like Frank Luntz say the government can't do anything as well as the private sector. But government's only involvement is health care administration, not health care itself. The government average of administrative expenditures for health care (2008 Medicare, Medicaid, VA) was ~4%. Private insurance administration was closer to 12%, three times gov hc admin costs.

The peeps with the money will always exacerbate problems with the rest. Until we bottom out and an elected set of balls rights the train, I see us driving off the cliff without detour.

HempKat

Veteran
EVERY previous administration has fucked us up! You think Bush was the first?

I never said he was. I just stated that it was on his watch that the economy got fucked. :rolleyes:

Rebounding? $5-10 BILLION a day of taxpayer money being GIVEN away has something to do with it. It's "rebounding" without employment because the government is PAYING the unemployed...99 weeks and counting.

Wow amazing, 5-10 Billion a day huh? For 99 weeks? Too bad that's complete and utter bullshit. At 10 Billion per day for 365 days that's 3.65 trillion. Current projections for all Federal spending for 2010 (defense, medicare, infrastructure, healthcare, education, etc.) is at 3.69 Trillion. I seriously doubt we are spending almost all our money on unemployment and leaving .04 trillion for everything else. :rolleyes:

http://www.heritage.org/budgetchartbook/growth-federal-spending-revenue

Remember...$5-9 BILLION almost every day! That's the yearly profits from a large corporation...EVERY DAY...just GIVEN to the banks to use to write things off and invest.

No there are few if any companies making over 3 Trillion a year. At least here in the real world. Maybe in your fantasy world where the government spends 99.9% of it's revenue on unemployment. :rolleyes:

Earth is calling you...please pick up.

Oh yeah sure, like you have a clue about anything going on with the real world. :rolleyes:

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Fed is printing money to pay for debt because right now the economy is too fragile to cut government programs that add to the debt and the only way we can afford to pay on our debt is to either cut spending (which we can't do right now) or print more money which we can do.

That's right. You could also write that as.... We're fucked.

As Bernanke said in his 60 Minutes interview. This isn't exactly a self-sustaining recovery (hint: it's not a real recovery). Meaning unless we print it all falls apart.

FYI, you can't monetize debt forever and if the recovery isn't self-sustaining without printing money.......well that's the last breath of failed empires.

HempKat

Veteran
Here's a list of accomplishments for 2010. I tried to get a list without all the fanfare but alas. It's also important to note that the opposition was in full force, even as a minority in both house and senate. The house passed hundreds of bills the senate ignored. And the opposition? More filibusters than ever. Enough to make the lame duck majority attempt to require filibusters instead of just threatening.

I know we need a working budget more than many of the accomplishments below. But we've never been so polarized on so many issues. The budget is possibly the most difficult bill to pass. We've got decades of good economic policy to emulate. Historical policy that proves itself with verified economic indicators. But a few of us want our cake and eat it too. Some of us have enough money to guarantee that government will struggle with such things as budgetary policy.

We may benefit from heath care reform, as long as the bottom line increases at a lower rate. The old game was contributing to our economic demise. One sixth GDP and growing? That's a recipe for failure, just like our bloated defense budget.

IMO, we should have demanded the public option. A public option would have gone a long way toward insurance reform. People like Frank Luntz say the government can't do anything as well as the private sector. But government's only involvement is health care administration, not health care itself. The government average of administrative expenditures for health care (2008 Medicare, Medicaid, VA) was ~4%. Private insurance administration was closer to 12%, three times gov hc admin costs.

The peeps with the money will always exacerbate problems with the rest. Until we bottom out and an elected set of balls rights the train, I see us driving off the cliff without detour.

I know we have done some good things with the current congress but my God the democrats had a super majority and were still unable to push things thru the way the Republican majority did under Bush.

The reason for that is Republican's tow the partyline more then Democrats. This allows Republican's to be more uniform and show more solidarity to their agenda. Democrats seem to be more sensitive to their constituency which often puts them at odds with the Democratic agenda. The problem though is really that both parties have agendas in the first place. The only acceptable agenda for any politician is that they serve the will of the voters that put them in office.

Also while it makes it look like more to seperate things out, alot of what you gave as examples are subsets of the stimulus bill and not seperate items that were passed seperately.

HempKat

Veteran
That's right. You could also write that as.... We're fucked.

As Bernanke said in his 60 Minutes interview. This isn't exactly a self-sustaining recovery (hint: it's not a real recovery). Meaning unless we print it all falls apart.

FYI, you can't monetize debt forever and if the recovery isn't self-sustaining without printing money.......well that's the last breath of failed empires.

The key you seem to be missing on is that nobody is suggesting the printing of money as the solution. It's a temporary fix to a bigger problem that is going to require real sacrifice from more then just the taxpayers to fix.

This is like when a family in trouble starts robbing Peter to pay Paul when dealing with their bills. It's not the fix but it is a way to get thru tough times until you can do what needs to be done to fix it.

Now if possible you and IBjamming should stop hijacking the thread to push your political point of view that has little if anything to do with the topic of the thread.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Wow amazing, 5-10 Billion a day huh? For 99 weeks? Too bad that's complete and utter bullshit. At 10 Billion per day for 365 days that's 3.65 trillion. Current projections for all Federal spending for 2010 (defense, medicare, infrastructure, healthcare, education, etc.) is at 3.69 Trillion. I seriously doubt we are spending almost all our money on unemployment and leaving .04 trillion for everything else. :rolleyes:

I don't know the actual figures in play here, and I'm not trying to bust your balls...

...but if it's been going on for 99 weeks... that's nearly 2 years.. not one year. Which means that rather than being 3.65 trillion in one year, it's actually closer to 1.825 trillion.

I'm enjoying all the viewpoints here. I wish we could all dial it back just a little bit and maybe try to come up with a solution to the mess rather than snapping at each other about who's to blame.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Healthcare is just fine in my country, I don't know what country you're from but in my country I go to the doctor, get whatever problem I have treated and that's it. Healthcare is just fine. Of course that's likely because congress didn't do jack to healthcare. What they did was reform health insurance. If you were on health insurance before though as many American's were, then the reform had no impact on you. The military is also fine in my Country, they did recently allow gays to start serving openly but they asked all the troops if they would mind first and the troops said, "go ahead, no problem".

The country was in a shambles from the ass raping the previous administration gave the economy but it's on the rebound now. Still even though they did do health insurance reform, and they did away with "Don't ask, Don't tell" that's just two things. There's alot more wrong with the country then those two things and those two things aren't even the most serious issues we need to deal with. So yeah it's still a do nothing congress because they get little done and what they do get done isn't even the things that affect the average citizen the most. I mean hell, they can take care of whether or not gays can serve openly but they can't even pass an annual budget?

LMAO. Don't lecture me about hijacking. You posted this first. Don't play the victim.

What was last country that printed money and monetized debt as a temporary fix? Don't bother answering that.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I know we have done some good things with the current congress but my God the democrats had a super majority and were still unable to push things thru the way the Republican majority did under Bush.

The reason for that is Republican's tow the partyline more then Democrats. This allows Republican's to be more uniform and show more solidarity to their agenda. Democrats seem to be more sensitive to their constituency which often puts them at odds with the Democratic agenda. The problem though is really that both parties have agendas in the first place. The only acceptable agenda for any politician is that they serve the will of the voters that put them in office.

Also while it makes it look like more to seperate things out, alot of what you gave as examples are subsets of the stimulus bill and not seperate items that were passed seperately.

I not at odds with ya HempKat. I agree that national Republican lawmakers are more uniform than Democrats. I don't agree with the president's bipartisan experiment if it means Democrats will be flouted as future minority.

But if the country recognizes the benifit of compromise, we may find our way through the politics of no.

BTW, Democrats had a super majority but Senate rules require 60 votes excepting reconciliation, etc (which contributes to our country being dragged back and forth.)

As a Democrat, I could care less if we're a center-left or a center-right country. Like you, I want our elected officials to reflect the will of the nation. IMO, unfathomable military budgets and 1920s-scale income disparity are not the will of the people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts