What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Selling back to clubs?

zenoonez

Veteran
OK... I'll concede the point that I am too hard on those that don't do their share to help and that equating them to capitalist criminals (how to define these is a whole other debate) is unfair. i'm prone to blowing hard sometimes.

However, I'm not letting them off the hook completely. In terms of their usefulness in a "progressive society" (obviously, one of my own imagining), I give them about the same value as the guy who can, but doesn't work and lives off the charity of others. I find both morally reprehensible.

Again, I disagree with you on your equating someone who doesn't choose to help others with someone who leeches off of the help of others. One of these people has done something very right in their lives to get to a point at which they are very well off. The other has decided that doing something in life is not worth the effort, and has realized that it is easier to live off of someone else. The second option I personally find repugnant. If our government didn't allow people the chance to live off of others in the long run then I would be much much happier. Now, people who want help should be able to get help that is predicated on advancement. The only people who should receive long term/life long financial support from the government are people with mental and physical disabilities.

While I am not defending the US Tax code, I disagree with your opinion. If the majority of our taxes were not spent on imperialist military exploits and paying off the interest on the national deficit to the fed, we would pay much less and be able to do much more with it. I wouldn't have a problem if all my taxes went to social programs that worked, quality education and european-quality health care. With what is left over after the pentagon and debt service budgets, its impossible to have any kind of quality in the latter categories i mentioned. So, I agree with you that I'm sick of paying taxes that are misspent, but I wonder how the middle class would feel about their taxes if they went to those "quality of life" things first, resulting in working, viable institutions that are there for us all.

OK... I for one am ready to end this hijack. I thank you for the mature discourse, but suggest we take it, if needed to its own thread. If you want to get in last licks, I won't be offended.

Okay, i didn't see the taking it to another thread thing until the end, I would be happy to do that if you want to but let me answer the rest of your post first. Military spending is out of hand no doubt but this is more a result of poor planning and decision making than anything. As far as I am concerned we should only be in one war and that would be with the Taliban and Al Qaeda in Afghanistan. From the point at which we won the military fight against the Iraqi forces we continuously screwed that situation up time and time again thanks to Paul Bremer and Donald Rumsfeld. We never should have been there in the first place but they really screwed the pooch on that one. But to my real critique, the way our government works is entirely inefficient. It would benefit greatly from hiring some capitalist pigs to streamline the operation of departments. Also it could use a complete overhaul of entitlements and subsidies from the ground up. We should move to a consumption tax and reinstate allodial title to go along with it. Social security should be thrown out of the window or overhauled in a major way. Medicaid and Medicare should also be overhauled and streamlined. All this being said I have no problem funding public good projects at voter's discretion. The problem is that these projects need to be run very efficiently and with the understanding that we are pushing every tax dollar as far is it can go not that it is the government so lets buy a 200 dollar hammer. America's tax dollars could serve her much better. Also you mentioned that we should fund social programs that work. I totally agree with this however, before we fund a program we should have it paid for by cutting spending somewhere else. More importantly, we need to have a fully fleshed out plan in place before the program starts so that it has a reasonable expectation of success in its first 10 years. These plans should also include methods for determining the success of the program on an objective basis. If after the first 5 years we aren't seeing the results we need then the program should be on notice, at the 10 year mark if it hasn't achieved its intended goal, the program is scrapped and the money goes to fund something else. As it is, the govt just throws money away which is certainly not a good way of working. My position is that; 1. The government needs a total overhaul in how it spends money within the agencies that exist. 2. All agencies and govt programs need to be reevaluated every 5-10 years to ensure that they are within spending limits and are accomplishing their goals, the saving money part could be supported by bonuses to management or efficiency professionals. 3. The tax system should be overhauled. 4. Social programs should be extremely efficient and serve as only short term help to those who need it. 5. We need prison reform. Prisoners should not be living in the lap of luxury. They should work and pay for themselves. 6. Our government should get back to protecting our rights rather than protecting our lives. If I want to smoke clove cigs I should be able to. Period. As every year goes by this country becomes less and less free and the framers of our constitution and our founding fathers would be appalled by the country we have become. There are probably a million more things I have to say in regards to the government and the misappropriation of money, power, and thought so if we must, let us take it to PMs or a new thread.

zenoonez

Veteran
Get back ON TOPIC!

Take your political "isms" and charity debate to private corredspondence.

Did you not read what was written? Either nomaad and I are going to create another thread or take it to pms. That was already decided. And as far as it being off topic it arose out of the discussion of selling mj back to clubs with some people talking down to others in the thread about their practice of selling back to the clubs. So I believe our posts were more on topic than yours Dhude. What did you contribute to the discussion in the post quoted above? Nothing. If you don't have something to say, don't say anything because after all it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Peace!

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
So thoughts on this thread led me to other thoughts, like how long it took me to start back up again when I didn't have a budget.

I'm looking to start a one on one mentoring group and I've started a thread about it here

pugnacious

I know of a few clubs in LA that are looking for new vendors that have high quality for reasonable prices. As much as people say the market is saturated, its actually not. Its just at the point where your not going to dump your kush and purps for 5-6k. Those days are long gone.

zenoonez

Veteran
I know of a few clubs in LA that are looking for new vendors that have high quality for reasonable prices. As much as people say the market is saturated, its actually not. Its just at the point where your not going to dump your kush and purps for 5-6k. Those days are long gone.

I can only dream of 5-6k a lb. Jesus that would be sweet. Hopefully the prices don't drop too much before I can move out there.

nomaad

Veteran
i still know people getting 5200 to the LA clubs for pristine... and i mean PRISTINE indoor OG Kush, Chems, etc. You know "elite" strains. LOL. i lived in LA for a while back inna day, and the whole 'elite' BS is quite funny to me as being a concept that only the culture of LA could have produced.

there are folks who will give you 4500-4700. but its indoor and the indoor is expensive in California unless you're making your own. And if its not pristine and elite (LOL... sorry, i get a giggle every time) its not worth much more than my black box stuff was in August. and I would put that up against LA dispensary elites any day. its just not worth it to grow for that market, in my opinion. from a simple business perspective.

and with the closed circuit paradigm being the one approved by the AG's guidelines, I'm only selling to local dispensaries of which I am a member. I don't get the best prices, but they are also not selling it back to the patients for LA prices. Nor are they as obsessed with elites, or pristine quality.

Hopefully we have gotten past the part of this thread where we attack or defend the morality of selling back to clubs and to the part where we just openly discuss the matter itself.

If it helps, I will continue to advocate for donating trim and concentrates directly to needy patients... this morning I convinced another grower to join me this year. I am talking to my lawyer this week about how to do this legally and how to screen people in a non-discriminatory way. Maybe it deserves its own thread.

zenoonez

Veteran
i still know people getting 5200 to the LA clubs for pristine... and i mean PRISTINE indoor OG Kush, Chems, etc. You know "elite" strains. LOL. i lived in LA for a while back inna day, and the whole 'elite' BS is quite funny to me as being a concept that only the culture of LA could have produced.

there are folks who will give you 4500-4700. but its indoor and the indoor is expensive in California unless you're making your own. And if its not pristine and elite (LOL... sorry, i get a giggle every time) its not worth much more than my black box stuff was in August. and I would put that up against LA dispensary elites any day. its just not worth it to grow for that market, in my opinion. from a simple business perspective.

and with the closed circuit paradigm being the one approved by the AG's guidelines, I'm only selling to local dispensaries of which I am a member. I don't get the best prices, but they are also not selling it back to the patients for LA prices. Nor are they as obsessed with elites, or pristine quality.

Hopefully we have gotten past the part of this thread where we attack or defend the morality of selling back to clubs and to the part where we just openly discuss the matter itself.

If it helps, I will continue to advocate for donating trim and concentrates directly to needy patients... this morning I convinced another grower to join me this year. I am talking to my lawyer this week about how to do this legally and how to screen people in a non-discriminatory way. Maybe it deserves its own thread.

So what you are saying is that we should all just grow pristine "elite" stuff and drive to LA to sell it? Lol. What are the "elite" strains? All the kushes or just OG? Chem is a pretty awesome smoke but then again I think TW is pretty good too.

nomaad

Veteran
No way. I'm saying that you can make more with better yielding strains in less stringent conditions than optimal indoor selling to clubs that don't have such highfalootin standards... without driving to LA to unload it outside of a closed circuit loop.

zenoonez

Veteran
No way. I'm saying that you can make more with better yielding strains in less stringent conditions than optimal indoor selling to clubs that don't have such highfalootin standards... without driving to LA to unload it outside of a closed circuit loop.

I guess it depends on how much you are getting for those higher yielding strains. Hell I heard romulan was raking in the cash out there and that is one hell of a high yielding plant. I have also heard that you could grow some dank ak47 or ak99 and not be able to move it for shit and both of those are good smoke too as far as I am concerned.

x357rq

ok so i started at the beginning, and my deepest apologies for not reading the entirety of the 25 pages, but i read a lot and got the general idea of the obsurdity of pricing (or atleast that is how people feel), so with the law allowing for patients to designate caretakers why dont people agree to a certain price from a certain caretaker and avoid the dispensary? I know I would not mind being a caretaker and forming this sort of relationship with a small group of good people. just trying to gain knowledge on the scene

nomaad

Veteran
I guess it depends on how much you are getting for those higher yielding strains. Hell I heard romulan was raking in the cash out there and that is one hell of a high yielding plant. I have also heard that you could grow some dank ak47 or ak99 and not be able to move it for shit and both of those are good smoke too as far as I am concerned.

fo sho... any marketplace has its nuances
ok so i started at the beginning, and my deepest apologies for not reading the entirety of the 25 pages, but i read a lot and got the general idea of the obsurdity of pricing (or atleast that is how people feel), so with the law allowing for patients to designate caretakers why dont people agree to a certain price from a certain caretaker and avoid the dispensary? I know I would not mind being a caretaker and forming this sort of relationship with a small group of good people. just trying to gain knowledge on the scene

You think that people who have personal relationships with growers pay these ridiculous dispensary prices? no way... Ounces go for $200-250 (250 is highway robbery) straight from the grower to the patient.

M

movingtocally

While obviously the southern half of the state is mostly handicapped by the very light 6 mature/12 immature/8 oz rule, the prices seem to reflect that, according to this thread. Or is the situation more layered? After all, if you're going to live in socal and you're going to go above the 6 mature/8 oz rule, what's the point of even getting a card? You're going to be over anyway. And so while the disparity between what your crop can bring home in terms of norcal vs socal can be big, the difference in risk seems massive.

Where am I going wrong here?

nomaad

Veteran
I am growing within the 6/12 paradigm. but quite outside the 8 oz paradigm. However... I have a Dr's recommendation that says I can have 25 plants and 5 lbs. So.. what does this mean in the real world. If the sheriff visits for a "compliance check" (this is totally voluntary- he would have to get a warrant if I said no) he would make me take down anything over the state plant limits. However, if he comes over while our entire collective is here trimming (7 scripts) we can have 35 lbs of processed ganja and the sheriff would probably leave us alone. Your Doc's rec will stand up in court every time and they will have to return your ganja. In reality, I would never ghet arrested for having 25 plants... but they would cut them down- a court would say i can have my plants back. But they are dead. Its just part of the silly game we're all playing.

there is also the matter of being permitted to sell back to the dispensaries whatever extra we have. So its a gray area...a matter of what my intentions are... is it my intention to divert to the black market, or is it my intent to sell back to the co-ops I belong to in the closed circuit manner prescribed by the AG's guidelines.

The price difference reflects the factor you mention along with a number of others. One is that southern california is a high ticket place in general. After I left the film and television industry I supplemented my income by delivering herb to the sets i used to work on. A $75 8th of higher grade canadian ($85 for true dank) was very much appreciated by people making $600- 1000 (and more) a day and working 16-20 hour days 6 days a week.

Back in the day in NYC there was a delivery service that only sold the tops of colas, in clear plastic gem cases for $90/8th. Even in SF there is a high mark-up on ganja that comes from less than an hour away.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
While obviously the southern half of the state is mostly handicapped by the very light 6 mature/12 immature/8 oz rule, the prices seem to reflect that, according to this thread. Or is the situation more layered? After all, if you're going to live in socal and you're going to go above the 6 mature/8 oz rule, what's the point of even getting a card? You're going to be over anyway. And so while the disparity between what your crop can bring home in terms of norcal vs socal can be big, the difference in risk seems massive.

Where am I going wrong here?

It is more layered....
While bud here seems to keep it's extraordinarily high prices...it also seems to Merit it--
You get what you pay for...top shelf comes at a higher price, because it warrants it!!
I pay top dollar for my Nutes...I keep up with what I need...and I expect compensation--
Sue me--:nanana:

M

movingtocally

Very interesting. It seems the more I learn about the scene just from an outsiders perspective the more it seems that any and all chants of a flooded market are complete and utter bullshit statewide, top to bottom. A rough compiling of numbers gathered from this thread and a few others(again, not claiming I know shit about shit-this is just what I'm reading here):

4500-7K for "elites" in socal with an average of around 3500 to the clubs for great, indoor meds. Up to 4500-ish in the Bay for "elites" and 3000 on average for solid indoor flowers. And this is to the freakin' clubs!

Flooded my balls.

:joint:

zenoonez

Veteran
From what I understand prices are on a slow steady decline and if you are trying to sell now at the height of outdoor production, good luck. But still worth it in my opinion. But it is going to be hard to find rental property at anything close to affordable. KMK that is what you are selling for? Are you in LA or SD? Just wondering what the prices are in cities vs smaller cities and towns.

nomaad

Veteran
Flooded my balls.

:joint:

Its seasonal. In about a week the market WILL be flooded with all manner of outdoor. From the shit that looks and smells like hay (probably destined for Lima, Ohio) to the nearly indoor quality that I am pulling down (if there are no major dust storms over the next 2 weeks)... and when I say flooded, i mean FLOODED. In august, I got 3200/lb without shopping. The entire state was dry. In June, people were paying $2500 (after all the middlemen got their points) for LAST YEAR'S OUTDOOR POPCORN. I shit you not. I also know people prepared to take $2000 for their outdoor this year... I will not take anything less than $2800 unless something doesn't finish as expected in terms of quality.

Latest posts

Latest posts