What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds, Soil and 16 Square Feet

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
That is pretty. Shame that icmag brings the size and resolution down. I was trying to get a nice closeup view of the thrichome action. Were allowed 117KB here and on Rollitup it is 10 MB. And yes we can go to a 3rd party storage site, and then link the url. But really? common. Maybe its just the camera, youve had some really amazing pictures in this thread in the past. Sorry for the pixel rant. Im still here because of the community :p

Siskiyou, you in the states or canada?

Siskiyou

Veteran
Update on the granola funk f2's would be nice to see.

Granola Funk f2s

I planted 6 seeds of Granola Funk (GSC forum x Wookie15) and got 6 healthy plants, which turned out to be 4 females and 2 males. I made clones of each plant. While growing and especially while flowering it was readily apparent that a very complex terpene cocktail was being mixed up here. When I would unzip the tent I would get hit in the face with fuelly skunky fruity body odor smells that were borderline unpleasant and definitely intriguing. Both of the male seed plants were culled, but I kept the clone of male who was most sturdy and attractive (GF4).

The 4 females were each unique.

GF1 was least impressive and her clone was culled.
GF2 had the strongest aroma and flavor. Grapefruit, B.O., fuel, light skunk and a hint of something else almost weird. After cure the grapefruit flavor dominates. Medium-light green color, strong stems, a bit stretchy. Good yield.
GF5 had a fuelly, musky smell with light fruit and a fleeting watermelon thing. Strong stems. Buds just a bit leafy but very resin covered. Darkest color with purples and dark greens. Best yield, least stretch.
GF6 strong grapefruit and lavender. Good yield. stretchy with weakish stems. Grapefruit aroma and flavor get clear with a cure.

GF2, GF5 and GF6 all had traits I was interested in so I flowered out the GF4 male along with clones of the three GF females. When the male was close to dropping his pollen, I removed him to another location, where I harvested pollen, collecting it in a paper envelope until I had enough. It doesn't take much. GF4 was then culled. Pollen was then selectively applied to a single branch of each of the females.

The result was healthy looking (but still untested) seeds of GF2xGF4, GF5xGF4 and GF6xGF4 as well as some SFxGF seeds since I had an SF clone in flower at the same time. I am especially interested in the variety of possibilities with these f2s considering their lineage.

Siskiyou

Veteran
Killin it as per usual. Another happy and chunky girl.

Wow, super chunky!

Seriously gorgeous. I love seeing pictures like these. Thank you and congrats!

kudra!
looking great sisk, keep it up :D

wow fucking nice!

i havent seem such beautiful flowers in a while !! :smokey:

Thanks Y'all are making me blush. I wish I had a few more BP seeds...

too-dope

Still coming correct Siskiyou, You're work is always impressive and inspiring. I need to get my own worms going and perhaps rethink how I re-amend. Thanks for the info on granola funk. I have a pack in the fridge, though it may be some time before I can get to it. So many great varieties to explore and only so much space. However, after all I've seen from you and Blazeee on GF it has certainly moved up on the list. Threads like this are what keep me coming back to icmag. Keep up the good work. Peace.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Excellent update on the GF. Thanks for taking the time to share in such detail. In the 4 years since the start of this thread, you've perfected the whole method of, running all pheno's, evaluating each one, keeping clones of all, and making seeds of each strain for preservation. I really can't think of any way to do it better!

Siskiyou

Veteran
Still coming correct Siskiyou, You're work is always impressive and inspiring. I need to get my own worms going and perhaps rethink how I re-amend. Thanks for the info on granola funk. I have a pack in the fridge, though it may be some time before I can get to it. So many great varieties to explore and only so much space. However, after all I've seen from you and Blazeee on GF it has certainly moved up on the list. Threads like this are what keep me coming back to icmag. Keep up the good work. Peace.

Thanks, too-dope. There are a couple more bits of information about Granola Funk that I should add. Although I found three females with traits I was interested in, no "keepers" and I did not hold on to any of the three as clones beyond the making of the f2s.
All 3 GF females have an interesting quality of being just a bit flame resistant even when quite dry. GF5 shows this trait the most. Bowls don't burn very thoroughly if overpacked at all, even when ground fine. In contrast SF grown in the same round and same soil burns to fine white ash that almost disappears. GF will clog your bowl and need to be dug out at the end. One other plant I grew in recent memory shared this hesitancy to burn and it was Space Monkey (GG#4xWookie15). SM and GF both have Wookie15 (BB Lavender x Appalachia) as the father. Since I never noticed this trait in any Appalachia crosses I grew I am suspecting Lavender may be the source.
I find the effect of the GF2 and GF6 to be very upfront and sudden, potent but short lived. GF5 has a definitely heavier effect that creeps up a bit and puts lead weights in my eyelids. Nonetheless I find GF5 tastiest. The other two might be a bit too clearly grapefruity for me. All three are strictly from Terpene City.

Siskiyou

Veteran
Excellent update on the GF. Thanks for taking the time to share in such detail. In the 4 years since the start of this thread, you've perfected the whole method of, running all pheno's, evaluating each one, keeping clones of all, and making seeds of each strain for preservation. I really can't think of any way to do it better!

Far from perfected, but thanks. There have been a few plants I never cloned or even tried to reveg that turned out to be spectacular. The one I kick myself most for not keeping was an incredible Blue Tara female that would have become my #1 and would have made seeds with a succession of promising males.

Siskiyou

Veteran
Mothers and daughter. Clones of Soul Food and my first tester of Soul Food x Space Cake from seeds I made this past Fall. SFxSC is at 62 days of flowering. There are 2 SF at 53 and 4 more at 42 days. As a bit of an experiment, the 2 SF at 53 days were given a bit of LST but not topped. 2 of the SF at 42 days were topped once and trained for 5 or 6 tops each. the other 2 at 42 days were not topped or trained at all and were allowed to express their natural form. All six SF clones are being grown in the same soil, same size containers, same round, same lights. All that varies is their training and the two that received LST started flowering a bit earlier. SFxSC is front and center.
picture.php
picture.php

Siskiyou

Veteran
I am flowering under my "blurple" LEDs which I love and hate. I love them because they grow good herb, but I hate them because of the light bleaching that occurs on the very tops of flowers. Is this an excess of UV? I have noticed that some strains are more susceptible to the light bleaching than others. I have also noticed that some tops bleach more and others not at all, even when the same distance from the lights. There appear to be "hot spots" under these LEDs. This also makes me wonder about the UV portion of these lights. The bleached part of the bud is usually no more than a bong hit or two and it is only a little ugly and easily discarded. The biggest problem is that it fucks with the exposure on my camera.
SF at 42
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

SF at 54
picture.php

Siskiyou

Veteran
SFxSC at 62 days into flower. She smells noticeably different than her mother. I can see some Snow Lotus in her. She will need a few more weeks.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

too-dope

SFxSC at 62 days into flower. She smells noticeably different than her mother. I can see some Snow Lotus in her. She will need a few more weeks.
View Image View Image View Image View Image

Great photos Siskiyou. SFxSC sounds like a great cross. I remember the soul food you have looked stellar. What does she smell like? That's interesting about the light bleaching at the very tops. I've never grown beneath LEDs so I couldn't say. I've seen bleaching before under hps lighting, but it covered a larger area of the bud. loss of color, diminished terps, etc.

Siskiyou

Veteran
[FONT=&quot]I crossed SF with Space Cake to try and temper her sleep inducing strength and add dimension to her flavor and high, possibly making her more interesting in the process. Aromas that I have noted hovering around the base ganja smells and herbal nuances are pine, caramel, solvent or fuel and occasionally something reminiscent of berries. Sometimes I get the Everlasting Gobstopper effect with a succession of flavors revealed over the course of a single toke. That's nice. The best of SF blended with the best of SC would be excellent. SF is definitely one of the most vigorous individual plants I have worked with, rooting quickly and growing fast while maintaining a very reasonable amount of stretch. Sticky, strong and nap inducing she has yielded quite different phenotypes for me based upon variations in treatment and circumstance each of the several times I have grown her out (first as a seed plant and then as a clone).
[/FONT]

Siskiyou

Veteran
reammendment of soil not currently in use. all amounts are approximate. I didn't feel like it needed much this time, so just a little boost for the next round.

80 gallons recycled soil, the core of which is over 5 years old
4 gallons homemade EWC with worms, worm cocoons and biochar
2 gallons pumice
2 gallons rice hulls (organic)
4 cups Dr. Earth 4-6-3 dry organic fertilizer
4 cups oyster shell flour
2 cups azomite
2 cups bokashi bran

Ncali

Veteran
Uhh great looking work here. Im sub'd and a watchin! You like Dr. Earth mix? I really like their kelp and alfalfa meals, though im sure i can find cheaper per unit sources of both...

Great grow, happy to watch to organic bohdi goodness grown proper :)

Last edited:

Siskiyou

Veteran
The same plant pictured in the post above had a strange side branch that grew flattened in form. its apex appears as a line rather than a point. I have seen a similar phenomenon in a Deep Satellite plant several years ago. Deep Satellite also has Blueberry in its background. Is it a Blueberry thing? FWIW the plant with the weird branch is my favorite smoke out of 7 Dynasty OH2015ibl females I grew out.

The same bud from two angles
picture.php
picture.php

Siskiyou

Veteran
I made seeds using both male and female OH2015ibl. Are they f2s? I have them labeled OH2019 for reference.

Latest posts

Latest posts