What's new

Seeds, Soil and 16 Square Feet

Bmac1

Veteran
Indeed it is. Just got another round into the tent. 3 gg4 and the 9/10 week blue sunshine pheno for a second run. Then i will likely shut down till the fall.

Kaskadian

Veteran
Siskiyou,

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. You've done some wonderfully inspiring work in your small space. Thank you for sharing your work with us.

Siskiyou

Veteran
Indeed it is. Just got another round into the tent. 3 gg4 and the 9/10 week blue sunshine pheno for a second run. Then i will likely shut down till the fall.

Glad to hear all is well and growing. mmmm blue sunshine sounds good!

Siskiyou

Veteran
Flower Day 61 - still putting on her shoes

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Siskiyou

Veteran
Flower Day 62

picture.php
picture.php

Even when taken into week 11, this plant will still put out new clusters of pistils even though aroma and flavor begin to deteriorate in my experience with her so far.
picture.php

light penetration with the Amare seems excellent with very nice trichome formation on even the lowest buds that received mostly indirect light.
picture.php

The camera flash washes out the red colors while the Amare seems to enhance them. My eye registers the redness of this plant somewhere in between the two. Chop.
picture.php

Bmac1

Veteran
That is a beauty plant. Love the colors and shes fat! Couple of POTM worthy pics too.

Siskiyou

Veteran
That is a beauty plant. Love the colors and shes fat! Couple of POTM worthy pics too.

Thanks, again. I think 5 gallons of organic soil was the minimum for growing a plant that size. I wonder what she would've done with 7 or 10 gallons. She filled out that 3x3 pretty well and made me very happy with her resin production. I am glad to have the veg space back though, since the last 6 seeds I started had only one female and I need to start something else. So it goes.

POTM was fun and thanks for the virtual nomination.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Reammendment of all soil not in use. All amounts are approximate.

80 gallons recycled/recyclable/renewable well-loved living soil
8 gallons homemade fresh EWC with worms
4 gallons pumice
4 gallons Pro-Mix HP
12 cups Dr. Earth "Home-Grown" 4-6-3 dry organic fertilizer
8 cups oyster shell flour
2 cups azomite
2 cups mineral mix (gypsum, basalt, glacial rock dust)
2 cups bokashi bran
2 cups neem seed meal
1 cup kelp meal
1 cup fish meal
4 T langbeinite (Sul-Po-Mag)

Still so impressed how light your re amendments are. Its a sure sign how good your soil is, and your reading your plants properly and giving it what it needs, versus just loading it up.

As far as NPK, you basically only added 2 cups neem, 1 cup kelp, 1 cup fish meal to 13 c.f. mix!

So uhhh where ya been? I could use some inspirational updates.

Maybe heres a good place to ask, what are some other good organic growers here on icmag that have some good active diaries going?

Im going to be starting one right away here as my soil is complete after a year of prep! Its time for her to shine haha

Siskiyou

Veteran
Still so impressed how light your re amendments are. Its a sure sign how good your soil is, and your reading your plants properly and giving it what it needs, versus just loading it up.

As far as NPK, you basically only added 2 cups neem, 1 cup kelp, 1 cup fish meal to 13 c.f. mix!

So uhhh where ya been? I could use some inspirational updates.

Maybe heres a good place to ask, what are some other good organic growers here on icmag that have some good active diaries going?

Im going to be starting one right away here as my soil is complete after a year of prep! Its time for her to shine haha

Thanks. Remember that all of my "recycled" soil has already been ammended once, twice or many times and I do not feel that it is usually fully depleted, so in terms of nutrients I am only topping off. I do, however, try not to overdo any particular inputs, aiming to maintain a balance with plenty of available nutrients and no excesses. It is always easier to fix a deficiency than correct an excess.

Also, my ammendments might be a little more potent than you are thinking. Don't forget the 12 cups of Dr. Earth fertilizer in that last reammendement.

Dr.Earth "Home Grown" Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer 4-6-3 from their label
"Wild-caught Alaskan Fish Bone Meal, High Country Feather Meal, Cold Water Kelp Meal, Valley Grown Alfalfa Meal, Mined and Micronutrient-dense Colloidal Soft Rock Phosphate, Wild-caught Alaskan Fish Meal, Naturally Mined Potassium Sulfate, MicroActive™ Micronutrient-rich Seaweed Extract (synergistically boosted with micronized humic acids for maximum bioavailability.)"

Even more importantly, don't forget my homemade EWC from worms fed a rich and varied diet including fish meal, neem meal, kelp meal and a variety of nutritious food scraps and mineral sources.

I seriously messed up my back this Spring and haven't been around much. My last project was making Granola Funk f2s, but nothing got photographed. I take less photos these days because I do not enjoy shooting under LEDs as much as I did under HIDs. With LEDs color representation is just a little whacky no matter what I have tried. Fewer photos has led (ha ha) to fewer posts. I will have to get over it.

Siskiyou

Veteran

That is an excellent question. "Where have all the people gone today?" I have seen several good organic threads completely sidetracked and/or stalled out because of snarky know-it-all bullshit comments from a few regular troll-types I will not name. My Grandma taught me that if i can't be helpful then I should not contribute. That should hold true for internet threads as well.

If someone poops in your thread ignore them and move on seems to be the best path. Don't let the shitheels win.

I want to see the culture of this place and the open sharing of knowledge continue, but many knowledgeable sources have departed and others need to step up and carry on their work. If we don't keep sharing the knowledge of how to grow our own then we will have to pay someone else to do it for us (ack!) The original reason I started growing was to have the best and tastiest herb possible without having to pay dealers and greedy growers. None of that has changed at all through full prohibition to medical-only to recreation legalization.

There may be some excellent rocking organic threads I don't know about. Feel free to post links to them in this thread.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Thanks. Remember that all of my "recycled" soil has already been ammended once, twice or many times and I do not feel that it is usually fully depleted, so in terms of nutrients I am only topping off. I do, however, try not to overdo any particular inputs, aiming to maintain a balance with plenty of available nutrients and no excesses. It is always easier to fix a deficiency than correct an excess.

Also, my ammendments might be a little more potent than you are thinking. Don't forget the 12 cups of Dr. Earth fertilizer in that last reammendement.

Dr.Earth "Home Grown" Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer 4-6-3 from their label
"Wild-caught Alaskan Fish Bone Meal, High Country Feather Meal, Cold Water Kelp Meal, Valley Grown Alfalfa Meal, Mined and Micronutrient-dense Colloidal Soft Rock Phosphate, Wild-caught Alaskan Fish Meal, Naturally Mined Potassium Sulfate, MicroActive™ Micronutrient-rich Seaweed Extract (synergistically boosted with micronized humic acids for maximum bioavailability.)"

Even more importantly, don't forget my homemade EWC from worms fed a rich and varied diet including fish meal, neem meal, kelp meal and a variety of nutritious food scraps and mineral sources.

I seriously messed up my back this Spring and haven't been around much. My last project was making Granola Funk f2s, but nothing got photographed. I take less photos these days because I do not enjoy shooting under LEDs as much as I did under HIDs. With LEDs color representation is just a little whacky no matter what I have tried. Fewer photos has led (ha ha) to fewer posts. I will have to get over it.

Sorry to hear about the back. Hope your on the road to recovery and it does not cause trouble permanently. I have chronic foot ailment for life. tough pill to swallow, especially when your supposed to be in your "prime".

Shame you don't enjoy taking pictures with the new leds, as you had very nice pictures. What you could do is set up another flood light or whatever source works good and go in 15 mins before lights on and do a photo session. Thats what I do in my bloom room as the HPS orange is a big no no - way worse than LED ;) my Veg room is CMH so it is perfect for picture taking.

Makes sense with the light amendments now that you mention the previous additions and your very rich EWC. Your right too, I totally overlooked the tomato fert. I wasn't familiar with the brand since I can't get it in Canada so subconsciously chose to ignore it and go to only "real amendments" Whoops

There is actually a really good thread that I came across on grasscity (I thought it was more a smoker forum) It has some of the Legends from the ROLS thread here, and was started is now on page 600+. Out of all the stuff I have seen it is a fresh of breath air and has changed my whole perspective once again, on what organic gardening can be just when I thought I knew it all!

https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/no-till-gardening-revisited.1400505/page-56

I also like that you can bookmark posts, so when you find some good info or indepth post its easy to save the info out of a 600 page thread. They have an app too so I can read and post from my phone (not sure if this is a good thing in the long run LOL)

Update on the granola funk f2's would be nice to see. I have Goji OG, Dream Lotus, More Cowbell, SSDD all in veg right now!

Siskiyou

Veteran
A few pages back lightweight asked about Bingo Pajama (Kudra x Appalachia), and I responded that I had not finished any yet. This Spring I planted the last few BP seeds I had and got one female. My timing was a little off with her, so she was topped once during veg. She came out very nice with a distinct flavor and aroma that I have not been able to describe very well. Both register as "high notes", not low and funky but almost minty, though not quite. There is also a sweetness to her as well as a Chem background note. At one point I thought I smelled champagne, but that may have been due to suggestibility since I knew already that Kudra is also known as Moet. The herbal high notes mellowed after a good cure into a flavor that could pass for a tasty Northern Lights. Pleasant effect without loss of clarity or burnout makes this herb perfect for a morning bowl or two. I'm surprised I didn't hear more about this cross.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php