What's new

Scratching My Way To Harvest....Hopefully.

Former Guest

So since they've been clean so far, I haven't found one egg (now that I can identify properly) I decided to get the bloom tent ready. It was almost set up when I found the mites. I started counting days on the calendar and realized that the clones I was planning to take are just going to set me back another month till they can root, get a small root ball going in the small plastic clone containers (3.5" I believe) and then transplant into 1 gallons, let em grow a bit until they go in the final 3 gallon container.

I did not transplant the pennywise because I did that right before I found the mites. they should be just fine to go into bloom plus it's smart pots so the air pruning will help if need be. I placed them under the scrog on one side and then I placed the Durban Bubbles on the other side. I only sent three of each to bloom keeping one pennywise that was hit pretty hard and the Durban Bubble that has always given me troubles. I plan on throwing the Durban away and taking clones off the pennywise when she grows some.

I would take a pic but my camera is out in my car and its just pouring down rain super hard. they are all bent over and flattened on top because I did not train them first before going under there.

I plan on taking some clones of the connie chungs soon as well. the clones of the Durban and pennywise are really starting to take off after a EWC tea and some light nutes added.

I brewed a special compost tea for the girls today and it only brewed maybe 6-7 hours as I really didn't have much time to plan. that is the one thing I hate about compost tea. So in this tea I added, 1.5 cups of EWC, 3 T maritime mix 2-4-3, 4 T Budswel (dry), 1 T Earth Juice Bloom dry Rainbow 2-14-2, handful of fish bone meal 3-16-0 then I added maxi crop and fulvic acid at the end along with Greenfuse Bloom Stimulator. its just plant extracts to initiate bloom that is made by the clonex peeps. says organic on the bottle but who knows. I bought this after reading the ledtester nute study when I was running Advanced Nutrients and wanted a cheaper alternative to their initiator bottle ($100!). it is mainly kelp and plant extracts so I thought that the greenfuse at $50 was cheaper and probably a better product. Now this isn't really an organic thing to do so I suppose I can catch a little flack but its just some plant extracts, not like I'm running Gravity or spraying Purple Maxx Snowstorm (I have it, don't make me break it out) to get hard purple buds that have trichs like snowfrost....

Former Guest

It's a rainy Halloween!! :witch2:
I've been checking on the girls in bloom and they are still a little shocked but some of the branches are starting to turn over to process the light. The temps with only one 1000w are much easier to regulate but I know when I turn on the other side, that this is going to be an issue. I have an inline fan exchanging air 3 times per minute with one 6 inch duct opening passively unfiltered which I want to get filtered but right now I don't see that as being possible without buying another fan. When that was going, the fan exhausting air is on the lower opening of the tent because I don't have any way to suspend it or attached it somehow above. I thought I could use some of the boards and make it's own beam that runs from side to side in the corner making a small triangle. then the air exhausting will have a different path. so when you are standing inside the tent, there is a air tunnel feel to it, but the air path is leaving one half of the tent 10 degrees hotter than the other side. so I added an extra ducting that came down from the opposite side ceiling where I plan on putting the exhaust so there are now two passive 6 inch openings. the longer one that comes down though does not have as much pull as the other, shorter one. I might put a duct booster fan on this one to help. I want to try and get it close to the same outside temp so when the other light comes on, I will have better control of the temp. the girls haven't had the light turned off yet so they haven't been given that signal to bloom so I can dial it in while they get over transplant shock. by adding both openings I now have one side 73.5F and the other side 69F.....with a RH of 67%. gotta love the PNW. been pouring down buckets of rain with warmer days and freezing nights.

did I mention that the inline fan is freaking heavy after holding over your head trying to get this or that hooked unhooked adjusted, etc.....now looking forward to dismantling and redoing...

oooo! oooo! stoner moment....I should have the main passive vent on the opposite lower corner with the exhaust on the ceiling opening then use the other two bottom vents passively to help exchange the air in the corners. I bet this rearranging would solve it. just need to build a beam to try it out.

maybe not as that would leave one corner stagnant...I should think about his a little more... any suggestions as I've tore down and rebuilt twice now.

Sun Hut Big Easy 4x8 tent

Last edited:

Miraculous Meds

So u have one exhaust fan ur going to install up high, and two passive intakes down low on opposite sides of the room? am I correct so far?

the tent is 4'x8'x how tall?

what size fan do u have in cfm please, and what size is ur passive intake holes?

What is ur room temp that the tent is in? and are u just exhausting into this room?

and last ur running 2 1k's eventually, correct?

Former Guest

So u have one exhaust fan ur going to install up high, and two passive intakes down low on opposite sides of the room? am I correct so far?
YES. ONE INTAKE IS DOWN LOW AND THE OTHER IS UP IN THE CEILING BUT I RAN A DUCT SO THE OPENING IS DOWN LOWER AT CANOPY LEVEL.
the tent is 4'x8'x how tall?
6 FT I BELIEVE
what size fan do u have in cfm please, and what size is ur passive intake holes?
435CFM HURRICANE 6 INCH DIAMETER ON EVERYTHING
What is ur room temp that the tent is in? and are u just exhausting into this room?
OUTSIDE TEMPS AROUND 40-45F WITH EXHAUST OUT TO A WINDOW FOR THE LIGHTS AND THE EXHAUST FOR THE ROOM IS BEING REUSED.
and last ur running 2 1k's eventually, correct?
YES

I went down to the hydro store and asked them today how they would set it up and they said to move the exhaust for the room up to the ceiling opening on the same side so it is kiddie corner to the intake that draws in more air than the duct intake. then they said to open up the hole I was exhausting, and use it for passive so there would be a passive intake on every corner with the exhaust being up high in the fourth corner. the passive intakes that would pull the most air would be the two lower holes and the duct intake is not as good due to the ducting so I thought I would buy a duct booster fan for it or I was going to try and find a 5inch fan to help get some more air in that corner.

the main issue as of yet :D is that one side of the tent is 5-10 degrees hotter than the other side because the exhaust and the main passive intake share the same side so the other side is much warmer. I put the duct in to help and that did a little. I'm pretty sure the addition of another 6 in passive intake will help. but then I need to filter it so that is going to slow down air flow a lot.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Honeywell makes a rinky-dink wee fan that are great for corners and below lamps.

Also sounds like you have no oscillators, but I get real lazy this time of day and can't be farked to check 8 pages back.

Former Guest

I don't blame you haha but no I don't have any in that room as they're all in the other room. well, there is one tiny one next to the main passive intake that pulls more air than the duct and it is pushing cold air to the other side by the duct intake. I was going to look online tonight. the store said I could get ones that don't move and just put on in each corner so the air circulates. I really don't want to buy four fans. plus it is really windy in there! is that okay or are the leaves going to be effected?

Miraculous Meds

got any tent pics to help visualize this?

So u have a exhaust fan venting the lights out the window? Is it pulling from inside the tent, or from room air thru lights then outside? What size fan u using here?

And then ur using ur 435 cfm fan to exhaust out the top of the tent? Is this centered?

If u have it centered then intakes on both sides of the tent, u should get even air coming in both sides of the tent. the standard for passive intakes is two times the holes for the exhaust.

Former Guest

I wish I could take a pic of the full set up but I can't stand that far away from the tent to get it all in one pic or even two pics :D

I can't center the exhaust because that is where the AC hoods run. I think I got it figured out and will update tomorrow after I set it up.

right now it is 72 degrees in the tent and the exhaust won't kick on till it's about 76F and will cool it down around 68F. I need to place the thermostat somewhere better...like under the freakin lamp. it's in the corner where the other side is. this would be better in a video perhaps. pics really aren't that precise plus I can ask all my questions in the video and point. sometimes it is just easier to have someone IRL and this would be about as close as I could get.

Miraculous Meds

I wish I could take a pic of the full set up but I can't stand that far away from the tent to get it all in one pic or even two pics :D

I can't center the exhaust because that is where the AC hoods run. I think I got it figured out and will update tomorrow after I set it up.

right now it is 72 degrees in the tent and the exhaust won't kick on till it's about 76F and will cool it down around 68F. I need to place the thermostat somewhere better...like under the freakin lamp. it's in the corner where the other side is. this would be better in a video perhaps. pics really aren't that precise plus I can ask all my questions in the video and point. sometimes it is just easier to have someone IRL and this would be about as close as I could get.

thermostat at canopy level.

Former Guest

fixed the tent and with both lights burning and the exhaust on full blast, I can get the temps down to 68F during MY night time/their daytime and as the day progresses it shouldn't get too much hotter in there. I'm vegging them out some since I have the opportunity that there are not other plants in there in bloom. won't get that again since it's a perpetual tent. they're going to scrog out nicely. Pennywise doesn't stretch much in bloom and I'm expecting the Durban Bubble to stretch at least 2 times it's size so it is the reason I am prolonging veg to fill up the screen. I might take penny over to the other side as the screen is divided in half so each one gets a 2x4 section.

so what I did to get the temps equal on both sides in the 4x4 section that is growing right now as the other section doesn't have any plants yet. I did not do a damn thing but take the fan I already had in there and set it to oscillate the cold air coming in on the main intake instead of directly diverting fulltime into the path of the other duct intake to help that get more air on the side that was running hotter. I don't know why ascillating made the difference because I thought that setting the fan to point directly in the cold area would help but that made the area that was previously colder much hotter and the problem actually flipped on me. so setting the fan to move back and forth dispersed the air more evenly. so the tent was really cold and I was going to start setting the thermostat and arranging it but decided to instead turn on the other light so I could see how hot it would get first running both sides on full blast. it only increased the temp about 4 degrees!! so having both lights run brought the temps up to 73 ish (I should go back out and check as temp sometimes tends to climb slowly but right now its warmer than it was during the night) So I think that maybe one more fan on the other side will help the one corner that should be warmer than the rest of the tent because it doesn't have an intake in that corner set up or I could add another duct intake vent which is what I would more likely do to help electricity costs and it will never break down :D

I'm really excited as the kinks in dialing in the room have starting to work out with a lot of adjusting here and there really helped me understand first hand how it works just by playing around with it. I find that is how I work best is hand on. would expediate things if there was an actual person to point out stuff now and again but whatever. it's working now and I want to flip in a few days.

the clones I took are starting to grow and put out new leaves and nodes so I will transplant when the roots start drinking up the water and drying out quicker into one gallons. depending on how long it takes to get to that point, I might even shove some of them into bloom. I really don't want to have to pay a lot for veg time and would like to just throw in as many plants as I legally can which is 30 and hopefully 45 in a few weeks as another patient has enquired about growing. here's hoping as that would be a lovely set up. right now I am well under my personal limit as I had to throw out some that didn't make it or were very weak :( horti oil is pretty suffocating but it works.

Miraculous Meds

Nothing beats hands on experience, sometimes it takes cutting some holes and patching them up. nice job on the fix, and smart thinking firing up the light to make sure it handles both before u get too far along. Make sure u run through at least a full 24 hours checking min/max temp and rh so u know if u have any trouble spikes in either. Funny how things like a little change in oscillating a fan over running a certain direction can help.

Former Guest

made clones of Connie today. also one bubba's widow seedling has broken ground. finally, 24 hours of equal temps through out the tent and its running at top temp of 74 with one light on during the warmest part of the day. during the day during lights off, the tent gets down to 50F so I've been running the light 24/7. started another tea to brew and watered the veggers with ful-power and enzymes to keep em going till the tea is finished about 36 hours from now. read the whole MM website, read bits and pieces of the original ROLS thread and the entire second thread, and the chelate thread/links included and I really have come to my own conclusion. it's working for me as well and that is the most important part :D

Former Guest

so finding a way to heat up the garage during lights off is going to be a challenge and expensive. I have been thinking about this a bit and have come up with an idea: heat exchange.

So I have this water chiller for my hydro and it has a plug in for a water heater for the rez. the chiller will control the temp but it takes 1/10 HP to run and I'm not about to pay that so I was going to use the thermostat of the water heater to regulate temp. I am also going to use two of them in my old hydro rez which is 25 gallons. then I have a pump that I was using for the chiller and I can use that to pump water through the Ice Box which attaches to the exhaust fan.

http://www.hydrofarm.com/product.php?itemid=10418

the water exchanges heat and cold and should warm the room although most people use it to cool the room or their rez. I'm just going to go backwards. whadya think? the rating for BTUs is 5000 on cooling so wouldn't it be the same for heating??

I have an oil filled radiator heater I wanted to put in the tent because it would run constantly during the night and wouldn't really help much I think. but I am really concerned about safety. I thought I could possibly put it in the middle but it would be way too close to the plants. I could also cut down on floor space and grow less as well. but who wants to do that? :D

Miraculous Meds

so finding a way to heat up the garage during lights off is going to be a challenge and expensive. I have been thinking about this a bit and have come up with an idea: heat exchange.

So I have this water chiller for my hydro and it has a plug in for a water heater for the rez. the chiller will control the temp but it takes 1/10 HP to run and I'm not about to pay that so I was going to use the thermostat of the water heater to regulate temp. I am also going to use two of them in my old hydro rez which is 25 gallons. then I have a pump that I was using for the chiller and I can use that to pump water through the Ice Box which attaches to the exhaust fan.

http://www.hydrofarm.com/product.php?itemid=10418

the water exchanges heat and cold and should warm the room although most people use it to cool the room or their rez. I'm just going to go backwards. whadya think? the rating for BTUs is 5000 on cooling so wouldn't it be the same for heating??

I have an oil filled radiator heater I wanted to put in the tent because it would run constantly during the night and wouldn't really help much I think. but I am really concerned about safety. I thought I could possibly put it in the middle but it would be way too close to the plants. I could also cut down on floor space and grow less as well. but who wants to do that? :D

How bout grow double and have another tent running lights opposite hours and have them recirculate the air to each other.:dance013:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^Also a great idea'r.

Hooray for oscillators! :p Check top of tent and bottom of tent and see if you can avoid heat stratification.

Interesting idea for heating during lights off. You may want to look into hot water tank elements, though I don't know how safe they'll be in a plastic reservoir. It would be easy to fashion a five sided box to avoid possible melt through. Power use efficiency should be better than a tank heater. Unlikely someone hasen't tried this before, if you poke around. Capturing exhaust heat in to a large reservoir has hyme written all over it in the right way.

Former Guest

Double tents would be easy. I would have to cut another hole in the wall to connect to veg room. I also tried to get the rez in the garage but floor space is getting limited now that the tent is in there. I have lots of moving blankets so I am going to put those up over the garage doors for insulation. No fresh air though but I could use a space heater. Might set up the swamp cooler/heater in my house to see if it works. I have wood heat so it's pretty cold by the end of the day when I get home.

Miraculous Meds

Do u have a gas hook up? the co2 they put off makes them well worth using in ur situation if u have easy access or know somebody that can do it.

Cutting holes is fun. Because of what we are cutting them for. Its the patching them up that sucks, because it didn't work or change of plans, but its not that hard.

Former Guest

No gas hook ups. Wood heat only. So it's either sweltering hot or freezing. I'm not sure if propane would be cheaper. I had propane heat at my old place and it was quite expensive.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wrap your flue in copper tubing? I've seen people pre-heat hot water tanks with such, but always wondered if it was going to explode. A T/P valve should suffice.

Former Guest

I've been using a heater to warm the garage. outside temp is around 45-50 and it can get it around 60F in the tent with the heater on full blast. seems so wasteful. I will have to get mom stuper stoned and clean the whole house and make her dinner so she's in a good mood and then tell her I'm going to cut another hole in the house. it's only going to be the fourth one :D

then I can run the heat from the veg in the tent which right now with the 400w keeps the room about 71F. heating that room though is very easy compared to heating the garage. might not be able to get it to 120F but it sure as hell can get to the mid 80s easy with a heater with no exhaust going. maybe then I can just run the air out to heat the garage instead. if I keep a small heater on low in the corner, the fan will kick on and off as it can exhaust the entire rooms air in a minute if you look at specs. but other than that, the bloom tent is still in veg mode which is just fine as they haven't really grown much at all this week from the transplant and super training scrog session leaving them a little shocked. the leaves have all turned over and positioned themselves and it should be any day now really. hopefully :biglaugh:

both bubbas widows have popped up and the first tiny serrated leaves have begun to show. the northern flame needs more time I guess. I moved them into the veg room in their plugs so they will have a constant temp of 70F and not get cooler in the night. after three days of this, I have peeked in the plug and one northern flame has started to poke out a tail. I think they just wanted it to be warmer or something. the plugs are moist but not saturated as I am not actually watering them but just adding water to the perlite below so water wicks up to them to keep them moist. also have a small dome over them but it doesn't fit right so air can get in nicely but still keeps them moist.

the connie clones are taking nicely. the clones I took a while back have the spiral leaves and three finger leaves growing. I've been keeping a watch on them with the 100x scope. I have seen twice a "movement" about five days apart but I think this is my eyelashes as the way the scope is designed like a high school lab style; not nice like my growers edge :D the magnification and the depth of what I am looking at can be tricky so I am adjusting to look at different parts of the pic so I think that if I saw a bug, I would know it at that magnification. there is a measuring device in the scope to compare what you're looking at and the movement is not the measurement as described for the mites or the eggs. it's like half to a quarter of the size. the first one I easily dismissed as eyelash but this second one, I watched and moved the scope around and the movement stayed in the same spot despite me moving the scope around and it looked like it was putting things in it's mouth with front legs like a very blurry hungry hippo. I think it was an eyelash. I want it to be an eyelash and I am probably just gun shy.