What's new

RubeGoldberg's 8x600w Indoor Garden

Dankwolf

Last update prior to harvest! 3 more days to go, ran a flushing agent on monday, i've been hammering with plain water every since.

Next pictures I post will be of the drying/finished product, just eyeballing the room, im hoping for maybe 3-4 OZ, but im shitty at eyeballing prior to harvest

View Image

View Image

View Image

Lol i cant eye ball harvest for shit either. You would think with experiance it would help lol but with expeirance you learn not to count your eggs till there in the basket .

A

Ashin Kusher

Ladies are looking lovey Rube, nice thumb work.
:tiphat:
I just have kind of a newb question for you on the subject of flushing.
During the flushing period do you drench the substrate with plain water everyday for the entire period or do you allow the substrate to dry out a bit before flushing again?
I have been doing the later and allowing the substrate to dry a bit before flushing with more clearex or plain water but I'm not sure if this is a good method?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
with all them still spitting out lush white hairs id say your way off on harvesting them this early :rasta:

Hairs don't help me indicate when they're done.

The trichomes guide me.. Back in my commercial days i'd base things off of hairs. But a foliar spray, high humidity, farting near the plants etc can all turn them prematurely.

Trichome color is what I aim for. It shows me the optimal cannabinoid development.

In my grows. I usually start flushing when the trichomes start going from clear to amber for a hybrid like this
and then usually by the time the flush is done, I have the development I want.

some articles on the topic:

http://hightimes.com/grow/nicos-nuggets-when-to-harvest/

http://www.cannabisculture.com/content/2009/10/16/amber-alert

Last edited:

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
Ladies are looking lovey Rube, nice thumb work.
:tiphat:
I just have kind of a newb question for you on the subject of flushing.
During the flushing period do you drench the substrate with plain water everyday for the entire period or do you allow the substrate to dry out a bit before flushing again?
I have been doing the later and allowing the substrate to dry a bit before flushing with more clearex or plain water but I'm not sure if this is a good method?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Totally not a newb question, there are LOTS and LOTS of correct answers to that question depending on your soil, your flushing agent etc.

In promix, watering daily is usually no good, but towards the end, and with my rootmass its not a problem. I might start to let it dry starting tonight though. (for the logistics of disposing of the medium, dryer is easier to move)

The flushing agent I used was based off of freeform EDTA which is a chelator. You'll notice your nutrient bottles will say things like IRON EDTA, and that means the Iron atom is attached to an EDTA molecule which is going to help transplant it into the plant.

EDTA by itself binds to minerals in the rootzone and in the plant and makes them mobile. (basically an opposite effect to how it helps get nutes into the plant)

So it helps flush the medium and also transport minerals out of the plant and encourage the plant to deplete the last of its stores.

(edta is used on humans with heavy metal poisoning as well)

Mineral based nutrients tend to form ionic bonds with the medium, so I like a helping hand from my flushing agent. Rather than completely relying on water, which may not break those bonds.

If you're in a soil relying on organic amendments as a nutrient source, that stuff flushes out differently. You may find it effective to use an enzyme and maybe some molasses or a carbohydrate product etc.....

The clearex you're using is based off of citric acid, it will rely on you getting some water volume through the medium, but it should be fine to give yourself a day to dry out in between. 

Last edited:
A

Ashin Kusher

Thanx for the great response, I really appreciate you taking the time.
I'm currently using Promix HP and Botanicare PBP for Nurtrients + Liquid Karma and Sweet Raw.
I just recently started using the Clearex for the flushing period on the last grow but was a reluctant and only used it 2-3 times max and the rest was just plain tap water flushed.
I'll try flushing this batch everyday with the Clearex and then letting the medium dry out right at the end and see how it works out.
Thanx again for the response bro:tiphat:!

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
Thanx for the great response, I really appreciate you taking the time.
I'm currently using Promix HP and Botanicare PBP for Nurtrients + Liquid Karma and Sweet Raw.
I just recently started using the Clearex for the flushing period on the last grow but was a reluctant and only used it 2-3 times max and the rest was just plain tap water flushed.
I'll try flushing this batch everyday with the Clearex and then letting the medium dry out right at the end and see how it works out.
Thanx again for the response bro:tiphat:!

the pure blend pro as a lot of organic components, i'd maybe flush with an enyzme and some fulvic acid along with the water rather than clearex.

The fulvic is an organic chelator, so it gives kind of similar effects to the EDTA, and then the enzymes will break down a lot of the organic shit that is otherwise just gonna keep hanging out in your medium delivering itself to the plants

again though, lots of ways to skin this particular cat... but i wouldnt run much clearex

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
Lovely grow you got there, very clean and consistent.
They don't look done to me either. Smoke test a bud before you chop if you'r not sure.

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
Lovely grow you got there, very clean and consistent.
They don't look done to me either. Smoke test a bud before you chop if you'r not sure.

The pics you guys are judging form are all taken from a few feet away, the lights on pics are adulterated by the red lights, and the lights off pics have the reflection from flash hitting the trichomes.

I've looked at these buds heavily with a USB microscope and a jewellers loupe.

This isn't something I'm guessing at, these buds end up in a very very competitive extract market.

Trichomes are the best indicator cannabinioid development.

also as much as hair color doesn't really help show maturity, I will mention that the late stage bloom booster I use causes a lot of extra bud growth during the time period when they're usually lagging, that growth has looks younger than the plant even though the plants are near completion.

edit: if you were looking at the bottom pic on the last page, 2 of the plants in that pic are a sativa dominant tangerine dream from barney's farm. (including the tallest cola) They have about 4 times as much hair on them as the rest of the room, and yes, they probably need 2-3 more weeks easily

Last edited:

packerfan79

Veteran
Totally not a newb question, there are LOTS and LOTS of correct answers to that question depending on your soil, your flushing agent etc.

In promix, watering daily is usually no good, but towards the end, and with my rootmass its not a problem. I might start to let it dry starting tonight though. (for the logistics of disposing of the medium, dryer is easier to move)

The flushing agent I used was based off of freeform EDTA which is a chelator. You'll notice your nutrient bottles will say things like IRON EDTA, and that means the Iron atom is attached to an EDTA molecule which is going to help transplant it into the plant.

EDTA by itself binds to minerals in the rootzone and in the plant and makes them mobile. (basically an opposite effect to how it helps get nutes into the plant)

So it helps flush the medium and also transport minerals out of the plant and encourage the plant to deplete the last of its stores.

(edta is used on humans with heavy metal poisoning as well)

Mineral based nutrients tend to form ionic bonds with the medium, so I like a helping hand from my flushing agent. Rather than completely relying on water, which may not break those bonds.

If you're in a soil relying on organic amendments as a nutrient source, that stuff flushes out differently. You may find it effective to use an enzyme and maybe some molasses or a carbohydrate product etc.....

The clearex you're using is based off of citric acid, it will rely on you getting some water volume through the medium, but it should be fine to give yourself a day to dry out in between. 

Clearex is glucose and sucrose. It's sugar. Look at the active ingredients.

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
Clearex is glucose and sucrose. It's sugar. Look at the active ingredients.

my bad.

Their website lists Citric Acid.

That makes sense though. Quite a few U.S state fertilzer regulators don't allow the sugars listed on the labels.

That's why you only see magnesium sulphate listed on a lot of sweeteners down there.

I'm just looking at a Canadian label now and see the sugars.

Last edited:

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
The pics you guys are judging form are all taken from a few feet away, the lights on pics are adulterated by the red lights, and the lights off pics have the reflection from flash hitting the trichomes.

I've looked at these buds heavily with a USB microscope and a jewellers loupe.

This isn't something I'm guessing at, these buds end up in a very very competitive extract market.

Trichomes are the best indicator cannabinioid development.

also as much as hair color doesn't really help show maturity, I will mention that the late stage bloom booster I use causes a lot of extra bud growth during the time period when they're usually lagging, that growth has looks younger than the plant even though the plants are near completion.

edit: if you were looking at the bottom pic on the last page, 2 of the plants in that pic are a sativa dominant tangerine dream from barney's farm. (including the tallest cola) They have about 4 times as much hair on them as the rest of the room, and yes, they probably need 2-3 more weeks easily
I don't look at either the trichome color or the hairs color, they are both bad indicators from my experience. Trichome color change with the lighting and strain vastly. Hair color changes really quick with humidity or spraying.

Instead, I look at the calyxes shape. When going through scensence the changes in calyx shape are fairly obvious.

A lot of times my observation aligns with others, yet it never failed me, unlike other methods of ripening determination.

The ultimate ripening determination method is a smoke test, and if you are not 100% sure I highly advise it.

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
I don't look at either the trichome color or the hairs color, they are both bad indicators from my experience. Trichome color change with the lighting and strain vastly. Hair color changes really quick with humidity or spraying.

Instead, I look at the calyxes shape. When going through scensence the changes in calyx shape are fairly obvious.

A lot of times my observation aligns with others, yet it never failed me, unlike other methods of ripening determination.

The ultimate ripening determination method is a smoke test, and if you are not 100% sure I highly advise it.

trichomes are pretty much the industry standard here in North America.
My day job is with a hydroponic equipment supply business consulting with some of the largest grows in Colorado, WA, here in Canada etc. Triches and Bag appeal are the biggest metrics people use.

Anyways man, We'll have to agree to disagree. Making payments on my mastercraft X-star is more important to me than forum cred.

Last edited:

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
Finally all done, took 2 guys 14 hours to get it mostly done.

We machine trimmed most of the bottom shit and hand manicured the tops. Honestly took a lot longer than I thought it would. Now that we know what to expect, we'll probably bring in an extra set of hands or two .

ended up with 4 full hanging rows like the one in the front of the pic, plus 2 full mesh hanging racks. Now to keep drying conditions right and not ruin it

R4AQyYn.jpg

3iaqhl0.jpg

C

chris harris

Nice run man.What did you think of that trimmer? Looks like a Trim Reaper?

Latest posts

Latest posts