What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RubeGoldberg's 8x600w Indoor Garden

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
Nice run man.What did you think of that trimmer? Looks like a Trim Reaper?

yup, one of the best trimmers I've used to date. Its still a trimmer, so i dont use it for the nicer stuff, but it really gets a lot of the bottom stuff done quickly.

Worst was a "big red shredder" that used to be popular back in the day, but in those days we just grew halfassed weed and watched it disappear at 2500 a lb like it was going out of style.

Last edited:

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
The next generation is coming along. I topped them as soon as I saw the top node defining itself and heading upward.
I'm getting way tighter internode spacing under the t5s compared to the last veg under MH exclusively.

Should be ready for transplant into the big pots in about 4-5 days, where they'll veg for another week under the MH lights allowing those tight branches from the t5 veg to explode and bush out a bit.

RFwzZiZ.png

L1O6zjB.png

Changes to the room for this next run will include feeding system.

I won't automate it since I want to decide when its dry enough, but after what I've seen with this run, i'm safe feeding this strain the same water volume.

The feed lines will let me retrofit to automated feeding for coco later on (maybe the next run after this)

The feed lines will make it easier to use the trellice netting I want to put in as well.

I will also be tearing off the poly liner on the table. I will paint the plywood/osb with anti-microbial paint and then stack a layer of fiberglass roofing panels on top. This should allow for better drainage. The poly was prone to tearing and wrinkles tended to channel the runoff all over the place. I also didn't want plants being cross contaminated with runoff from other plants. So this type of material should improve all of that quite a bit.

xwOjl2T.jpg

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
Good call on the fertigation system, one point you might want to add to your pros and cons list is that watering through a dripper saturates the medium much more than hand watering due to the slow watering rate (for more information look up hysteresis).
Due to that, watering via drippers gives a much more uniform result than hand feeding which is fairly easy to automate.
I do not side with your 'let the medium dry' notion at all, but a fertigation system is fairly easy to automate to any preference and it saves a lot of work.

In my system I get water from the tap with a watering computer. You can time it however you think makes sense - it is very flexible. And they are very easy to program.

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
Good call on the fertigation system, one point you might want to add to your pros and cons list is that watering through a dripper saturates the medium much more than hand watering due to the slow watering rate (for more information look up hysteresis).
Due to that, watering via drippers gives a much more uniform result than hand feeding which is fairly easy to automate.
I do not side with your 'let the medium dry' notion at all, but a fertigation system is fairly easy to automate to any preference and it saves a lot of work.

In my system I get water from the tap with a watering computer. You can time it however you think makes sense - it is very flexible. And they are very easy to program.

Totally agree! Automated drip to waste is honestly my favourite way to grow. I used to live in Europe and was able to do very large grows using coco. (1m canna slabs)

With pro-mix though, the roots tend to stop growing if its allowed to stay wet.
I don't let the medium "dry" to the point where water is gone, but I do wait until a good portion of the water has been used up. "Drying" is just the easiest term to use.

If the roots haven't taken over the container properly, keeping the roots wet all of the time in pro-mix/sunshine mix will cause the plants to slow down or even grind to a halt.

Its pretty much the only reason I don't like this medium, even guys with 100+ light setups here in the fraser valley are stuck hiring workers to run through with wands and hoses every 2-3 days.

Coco on the other hand doesn't have this problem. I've had great success in the past simply setting the drip system on coco to feed twice a day until i get the visual runoff im looking for.
I used to be able to go on 2 week vacations and monitor everything remotely.

The reason more North Americans don't use coco is because they treat it like a soil/soiless mix, feed every 2-3 days and then freak out when the cation exchange capacity of the coco starts ass-raping their plants of nutrients. Many of the grow-shops are clueless about proper coco growing and sell the medium as a soil alternative.

chase1

I think ppl misunderstand when some growers prefer to let coco dry out like you say rube that does not actually mean we let it dry so the plants wilt we just mean We like to see part of the coco drying a bit before next watering . I hear many ppl saying it causes issues but I've never had it cause any problems also I have seriously shit water coming out at .8ec and around 8 ph but I still get healthy plants
I've seen great growers who multi feed an growers who let the coco dry both pull 1gpw so my opinion is they both work and it just comes down to what suits you situation

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
I think ppl misunderstand when some growers prefer to let coco dry out like you say rube that does not actually mean we let it dry so the plants wilt we just mean We like to see part of the coco drying a bit before next watering . I hear many ppl saying it causes issues but I've never had it cause any problems also I have seriously shit water coming out at .8ec and around 8 ph but I still get healthy plants
I've seen great growers who multi feed an growers who let the coco dry both pull 1gpw so my opinion is they both work and it just comes down to what suits you situation

Also to clarify I let promix and other sphagnum based mediums dry a little.

With coco on the other hand, because of its higher cation exchange capacity,I like to keep the nutrients flowing at a rate faster than the coco can have a negative effect, also drying tends to release things I don't want the plants to have.
I'd probably be okay with some better coco brands like canna drying out a bit. But I always keep my coco moist.

Last edited:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Canna is the knee bees. I think I am done with the bricks, bags were much simpler. Gnatrol cleans up any hitchhikers.

I was all set on ordering JR Peter's Hydro and calnit when I realized Jon's sells a similar A/B formula.

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
Canna is the knee bees. I think I am done with the bricks, bags were much simpler. Gnatrol cleans up any hitchhikers.

I was all set on ordering JR Peter's Hydro and calnit when I realized Jon's sells a similar A/B formula.

yeah bricks are no bueno IMO, (most bricks at least, i think some companies like botanicare treat the coco and then rebrick for logistics)

A good portion of them are straight out of the shipping container from Sri Lanka or Southern India where some poor sap on a copra farm is throwing the husks into a brick mill. Then companies shrink wrap them with a piece of paper with their logo printed on it. All kinds of salt and nasty shit end up in the bricks.

coco-peat-buyers-from-Netharland.jpg

Im a big fan of the effort that companies like Canna put into processing their coco. They really break it down and turn it into something easy to use.
I also like Atami's B'cuzz

[YOUTUBEIF]https://youtu.be/KsJXJED0qD4?t=183[/YOUTUBEIF]

Last edited:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They were Canna bricks but seemed a lower grade. Whole lot of fines and little fibre.

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
They were Canna bricks but seemed a lower grade. Whole lot of fines and little fibre.

oh shit, i didnt even know they did a brick, im wary as fuck of their cogr though.

I'll lure one of their reps into running me through wtf they do to their bricks.

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
Update time!

buds are now curing... the bag appearance looks amazing, im hoping the smell improves with the cure though. Will post pics later..

Babies are now transplanted into the 3 gals.
They are much bigger than last time around, we're planning on growing the canopy thicker but flipping around the same height as last time.

The trelice net going in should let us manipulate a crowded canopy..

I didn't bother with the anti-microbial paint since the glue used in manufacturing the OSB panels already has those properties.

zYZ7LSK.jpg

DaiBCGJ.jpg

P20z5h6.jpg

Since we're switching the room to coco later, i've decided to move away from solo cups in favor of 3-4 inch rockwool elevated on the vent panels used for dropped ceilings. This youtube video convinced me i should try it in favor of planters. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ajQyY6OVb8

(and no, i don't want to dick around with tons of small cloth pots)

GastroGrower

That guy's videos are helpful but god damn I can't listen to him talk for more than a minute. Breath dude!

I'm done with cloth planters myself.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Far too much of a hassle.

Just found some coco pellets locally. I've looked online before but the quality varied dramatically and the price was 2-4 times peat. They seem a little cheap, I'm going to do a slurry test before trying anything.

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
That guy's videos are helpful but god damn I can't listen to him talk for more than a minute. Breath dude!

I'm done with cloth planters myself.

Yeah I think he might be on adderal or something.
His info is pretty spot on most of the time though.

He talks about recirculating coco though... so he might be retarded

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
Update on run 2.

I was on Vacay in Cambodia and wasn't able to post update pics.

I vegged a little longer, my plants are now at day 22 and are sitting about 6 inches higher than the finish height last time around.

2nd intake is doing its job great, temps are hovering in the mid 70s and humidity is around 50

The stems are about 4-5 times thicker than last time, so hopefully will see some really impressive bud growth in the next couple weeks.

Trelice netting was placed around 1 week into flower, im hoping that height works out.
HGlxMrb.jpg

catalyte

Veteran
Yeah I think he might be on adderal or something.
His info is pretty spot on most of the time though.

He talks about recirculating coco though... so he might be retarded

hahah, anyone who thinks recirculating coco makes sense is a half wit. :laughing:

anyway, just read thru this thread and it's a good method you have. Nothing beats Pro-Mix for reliability and simplicity.