What's new

question about crumbly wax

Zdub7k

another possibility is that you are using mixed batches?? This stumped me for a month or so.....I have yet to get a salad or mixed batch to budder up for me...If you mix the material (strains) than you will get shatter....You gotta use one strain at a time to get crumble.

Zdub7k

from blast to sample is taking me about 4 hours....Im whipping tho, and getting consistent 30 g batches.

Zdub7k

OG Chem wax I made yesterday, how long do you folks leave it in the container to hArden up? I leave it at 125 for about 20 mins then pull it out and let it cool...then leave it on the seed mat over night...and its hard in the morning. I still cant get it out in one piece tho...any suggestions?

Knubs excellent pics

Knubs excellent pics

Please put total amount of vacuum time per picture....that would really help me.

Going to make a few runs tomorrow.

here's my last 20 gram batch of honeycomb. the pics show the progression from shatter to nice crumbly wax

vertigo0007

another possibility is that you are using mixed batches?? This stumped me for a month or so.....I have yet to get a salad or mixed batch to budder up for me...If you mix the material (strains) than you will get shatter....You gotta use one strain at a time to get crumble.

Hey bro the mix batches wax up for me. It has to be another variable.

vertigo0007

OG Chem wax I made yesterday, how long do you folks leave it in the container to hArden up? I leave it at 125 for about 20 mins then pull it out and let it cool...then leave it on the seed mat over night...and its hard in the morning. I still cant get it out in one piece tho...any suggestions?

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=36868&pictureid=973975&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

what are you trying to get it out of? I use parchment paper cups/dishes i just form around another cup/dish. Also ive never seen it get brittle hard like cold wax unless it stays under vacuum the majority of the time. What temp is your seed mat?

knubs

Please put total amount of vacuum time per picture....that would really help me.

Going to make a few runs tomorrow.

i went for champion smoothness this time (and got it) so my temps never got over 110 degrees farenheit. it was a LONG process. the whole purge lasted a few weeks. it started to wax like in the first pic after about 6 hours. it usually takes about 6-8 to start with this strain. the rest of the progressions in the pics was over the course of about 3 weeks. i would release and repump the vacuum at least once a day after waxing was started. i only had about an hour or two a day to work on it after it started to wax. i would just start heating my chamber double boiler style with a hot plate and set my timer for the time i know it takes to get to exactly 110 degrees. when the timer goes off i turn the hot plate off and reset the timer for 20-30 minutes. after that i set the timer and reheat the water, etc, etc, etc... i know my setup very well so timers are my key to making this easy for me.
also normally this strain doesnt wax until about 130, but this time 110 was all that was needed

Zdub7k

Hey bro the mix batches wax up for me. It has to be another variable.

Im still looking forward to our pow-wow....Mine isnt brittle per say...its just crumbly..it breaks clean, but its not like super rigid..looks like I still have work to do..it smokes super smooth and clean tho.....very flavorful

Zdub7k

seed mat doesnt get very hot...maybe 90 degrees...that is just to finish the product over night...and in the morning its nice and hard....so am I understanding you right that you folks are leaving the oil vac'd thru the entire process? I tried that but prolly just didnt wait long enough...hours and hours under vac? really? veritgo??? how long does your tek take to finish?

knubs

yup, i leave mine under -27hg the whole time except when i am refreshing the vacuum. my vacuum never goes down at all unless i let it. it doesnt really matter though if you leave it under a vacuum when it's not heated. it doesnt do anything when it's cold.
at the beginning though (before it starts waxing) i dont just leave my chamber vac'd. i refresh the vacuum a lot and let the pump run for a while each time i vac it.

i've tried a method using a heating pad. i have one that heats up and stays right at 110 on the medium setting. it actually worked pretty well. once the oil started to wax i left the chamber sealed and heated over night and in the morning i had wax. it wasnt as smooth as the stuff that i spent weeks on though.

so just so everyone knows, i can get my oil to wax up pretty quick, but it wont be as smooth. and in the end it really isnt the method that makes wax it's the material. after cases and cases and cases of butane ive found that if an oil is gonna wax up, it's gonna wax up regardless of the method if you have heat that is 110-140 and a vacuum chamber. the method, however, is the trick to making it smoooooth. i can rush a batch and cough more or i can really take my time with it and purge it properly and be able to dab a quarter gram without feeling like im gonna die coughing.

Zdub7k

dang...i thought mine was super smooth but if I were to try a q g in one rip..goodnight nurse....cant breath..pls help...but I can take big rips with no cough what so ever...I need to get to southern cali so I have a good measuring stick.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
I would say that its all those plant waxes and fats in that whipped budder giving you the I can't breath feeling after a two pointer. If this were an absolute it would have opened up your airways instead of constrict them.

Stop whipping, start winterizing!

Absolute ambers FTW

Zdub7k

I would say that its all those plant waxes and fats in that whipped budder giving you the I can't breath feeling after a two pointer. If this were an absolute it would have opened up your airways instead of constrict them.

Stop whipping, start winterizing!

Absolute ambers FTW

I remember when I started a thread on this subject and a few of the old boys came in with this oil shatter, absolute amber hoopla...and thats all it is....the wax I make is fully purged....and I want to see the man who can take a monster rip of amber, then while choking (because budder is sooo much smoother) say it opened his airways. Although that may technically be whats happening, it sure doesnt feel like it......through my experiments it eventually became painfully obvious that these oil kings have never had good budder...it tastes better, and is ten times smoother.....I purge my shit all the way to shatter...then whip it and and cook into budder.....end of debate.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
I wasn't talking about how well you purged your oil, I was talking about the plant waxes, lipids and fats from the single non polar extraction giving you the uncomfortable feeling in your lungs, which absolutes are void of via winterization using ethanol. This is the reason I don't consume raw bho's anymore my lungs can't take it I get a sticky coated feeling and it makes me short of breath, compared to a clean absolute which is so smooth and easy on the lungs.

Cannabis absolutes are great expectorant medicine which means it opens up your airways to remove contaminate not restrict them.

You keep thinking that restricting feeling is good for you! remeber its a bunch of hoopla lol tell that to my lungs

vertigo0007

seed mat doesnt get very hot...maybe 90 degrees...that is just to finish the product over night...and in the morning its nice and hard....so am I understanding you right that you folks are leaving the oil vac'd thru the entire process? I tried that but prolly just didnt wait long enough...hours and hours under vac? really? veritgo??? how long does your tek take to finish?

Theres a few answers to this. IME, If the material is fresh, from clear to cloudy trichs and bone dry it doesn take long, sometimes an hour. If the material is older, more orange trichs or its not dry, it takes longer. Thats why if i can fit it in a mason jar i dont Wax it in the stainless. To use the stainless i need to use an electic pump. This requires, imo, an available eye. I dont have the patience to baby sit a loud ass pump for hours unless its a big run. Otherwise i use the stainless at room temp to make a fully expanded muffin. Let it harden expanded. Release vac, revac. Add heat, allow to melt fully. Continue running for 15 min or more to get to the shatter. Release vac. Fold shatter on it lself over and over to get it into a puck. Put puck in parchment dish. Revac. This is the point where i go to a jar if its under an oz. now i use a hand pump (mighty vac makes an excellent metal one too). Hand vac jar as deep as you can get it with couple pump sessions. Wrap heating pad around the jar. go to bed. Wake up. Release vac. Remove from jar. Chase the dragon....

Even if it waxes in a couple hours i prefer to just let it ride. The pad doesnt get too hot so long term isnt a problem.

Moisture and trapped tane will cause it to auto budder while shatterizing before waxing.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
the word shatterizing was just invented, lol.

Vertigo- This reminds me of bret1maverick with the heatless part of his purge where he vacuums room temp bho into a muffin, releases, puffs it back up and gets it stable under vacuum with no heat then melts it down, this is completely counter productive, getting your oil up to the correct temp to lower viscosity in a thin film and then pulling a full vacuum of -29.9hg" is the best way to thoroughly get solvent out.

Mia

In my humble opinion, whipping is bad technique and wax is subpar quality product. Not here to argue the point, simply to share an alternative point of view.
At the end of the day, to each his own.:)

knubs

I wasn't talking about how well you purged your oil, I was talking about the plant waxes, lipids and fats from the single non polar extraction giving you the uncomfortable feeling in your lungs, which absolutes are void of via winterization using ethanol. This is the reason I don't consume raw bho's anymore my lungs can't take it I get a sticky coated feeling and it makes me short of breath, compared to a clean absolute which is so smooth and easy on the lungs.

this does make sense. when i was making absolute amber about a year ago i remember visually seeing crap being filtered out by the coffee filter. looking back on it it was probably the plant waxes that i was seeing. i may have to try to wash a gram or so of honeycomb to see if i still see the waxes come out in the filter. last time i did an alcohol wash it was on some honey oil that i only whipped for a few minutes so it will be interesting to try it with a more pure product.