What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Quantum Boards

first knockoff quantum board harvest around the corner, not executed perfectly and sativa dominant but oh my ...

by the looks shit is fire, but yieldwise we will see what those chinese ripped off ;)

bucketgirl

replaces 2000w se HPS

replaces 2000w se HPS

Hi QB friends. I've got 2 old school 1000w SE HPS over 4v8'. I'm thinking of making the leap to LED and I want to make sure I'm on the right track.

https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/collections/kits/products/320w-xl-qb-v2-led-kit

Is two of these what I should be looking at in order to replace 2000w of SE hps? 3000k, right? And I don't need anything else (other than perhaps a box fan if needed)? Appreciate the guidance!

Goats

Hi QB friends. I've got 2 old school 1000w SE HPS over 4v8'. I'm thinking of making the leap to LED and I want to make sure I'm on the right track.

https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/collections/kits/products/320w-xl-qb-v2-led-kit

Is two of these what I should be looking at in order to replace 2000w of SE hps? 3000k, right? And I don't need anything else (other than perhaps a box fan if needed)? Appreciate the guidance!

two of those QB kits you linked will replace 1000w of hps. you will need 4 to replace both of your hps. i would suggest two of the 550 or 600H over 4 of the smaller ones to save some money though.

Koondense

Veteran
You'll need 4 of these, generally you need one third less watts with leds, so for 2k hps you need between 1200-1400watts of qb leds.

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you are looking to replace 2 x 1000's I would go with the 600h or get on the preorder list for the new elites. The elite boards will handle over 300watts each and have the best spectrum available.

bucketgirl

Thank you for the info, everyone. I'm about to pull the trigger on the 600Hs, I couldn't find where to pre-order the elites, just some mention of them by HLG on another cannabis forum we all know.

There was also mention of a $100 light coming out soon (maybe this is the elite?) that can run with a passive heatsink (included) at 175w and adding a fan would be capable of 300w. Shipping Oct 1, the man says. Any opinions on this? Any sense in holding out for 4 (or 5) of these instead of jumping for the 2x 600H now? Are these things going to be instantly sold out anyway?

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you for the info, everyone. I'm about to pull the trigger on the 600Hs, I couldn't find where to pre-order the elites, just some mention of them by HLG on another cannabis forum we all know.

There was also mention of a $100 light coming out soon (maybe this is the elite?) that can run with a passive heatsink (included) at 175w and adding a fan would be capable of 300w. Shipping Oct 1, the man says. Any opinions on this? Any sense in holding out for 4 (or 5) of these instead of jumping for the 2x 600H now? Are these things going to be instantly sold out anyway?

You can send an email and ask about the elite. Yes the board with heat sink will be 100 bux I think. Then you would need a driver and frame for the boards. Probably cost a bit more than the 600h.
I have 6 of the 600h's. They draw 630watts at the wall.

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'll have a few elite boards any day now and I will run 4 of them on a 1200 watt driver. Gonna drive them babies like I stole em.

blackone

Veteran
I'm not sure I get the point with the elites? μmoles/joule numbers seem pretty low compared to QB v2?

Koondense

Veteran
As SmokinJoe said,
spectrum or more correctly higher CRI values usually mean lower lm/W, also driving them harder will lower the efficency a bit.
Overall you still get pretty good light levels and more importantly a broader spectrum with more deep reds.

Cheers

Goats

What do you guys think of this vs the 600H?

https://meijiuled.en.alibaba.com/pr...pm=a2700.icbuShop.prewdfa4cf.2.3b171c7blT6Nq1

Just a different driver, right? Looks like their supplier...

i have read in a few places that that is one of the vendors to use if you're gonna buy the cheaper QBs from alibaba. apparently they work just fine, but they aren't the top bin diodes used on the HLG ones. they perform a bit worse, but for the price reduction it's supposed to be a pretty good deal.

i can't personally speak to them though, i got mine from HLG.

Koondense

Veteran
Good price, both seem very decent and should perform well enough for your needs.
Pick one and start growing ;)

not sure I like spectrum for flower.. little more red needed in my opinion.. also no verification on actual unit as they can't get a sphere test because price, so we will never know true value most likely..

I think a step in the right direction.. if that was my panel I would add some 660, but I don't know much... been out of the loop forever

sure as hell would be a killer veg panel.. excited to see what it does. I'm sure none the les sit's efficient as hell, as is nice to see the plants under

maybe I'm picky but I like my lights with wifi and shit inside now.. come on we are in the tech age

Sorry, what do you mean with 660?

Robney

Sorry, what do you mean with 660?

Their referring to a particular wavelength of light: 660 nm. It's in the red area of the color spectrum. To be honest, I don't know what they are talking about because there is a good amount of activity at that wavelength in the quantum boards, it just doesn't look that way because the light appears relatively white.

picture.php

Also, if dude says they have been out of the loop forever, and you're looking at a 2 year old post, you should probably look elsewhere for the information you are seeking.

knuckles

Veteran
Here is a little read about kelvin and nanometers.

What’s the Difference Between Nanometers and Kelvin?
Light pollution, or an excessive amount of artificial light in the environment, can alter animals’ natural instincts and cause detrimental disturbances on many ecosystems. In coastal locations, it can cause newly-hatched sea turtles to orient away from the ocean where they’re inevitably killed. Fortunately, many coastal locations have minimum standards that require wildlife-friendly lighting.

Amber LED lamps are a specific wavelength of 590 nanometers, which is not visible to most animals affected by light pollution. Humans can see wavelengths between 400 and 750 nanometers. This enables humans to safely move about at night without disturbing sensitive ecosystems.

Wildlife-friendly amber LED lamps appear to be the same color as lamps with a low Kelvin temperature. Does this mean a low Kelvin temperature is wildlife friendly? No! Amber LED lamps are more than what meets the eye. They are measured in nanometers, not in a specific Kelvin temperature. Kelvin and nanometers do not measure the same thing and cannot be converted. But what’s the difference?

Kelvin temperature indicates the perceived color of a light source and generally range from 1000k to 8000k. The higher the temperature, the bluer the light will appear. The lower the temperature, the warmer the light will appear. A certain Kelvin temperature consists of a nearly infinite number of wavelengths to produce the perceived color.

A spectrum showing a 250w high pressure sodium light. Source: www.icmag.com
Nanometers, on the other hand, measure a specific wavelength. So even if the Kelvin temperature appears amber, it’s actually a combination of wavelengths at different nanometers. Some of these wavelengths may be visible to wildlife affected by light pollution. Consequently, a lamp with a low Kelvin temperature would not necessarily be an effective wildlife-friendly light source.

Latest posts

Latest posts