What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Quantum Boards

TnTLabs

I have been researching quantum boards and cobs for a while now and finally ordered this from China.

It cost $461CAD delivered and will probably take a month to get here in Alberta. I'm hoping it will replace my 600hps with a yield improvement. It seems to have similar specs to the HLG 550 V2. Money is tight for me so I couldn't afford $1170CAD for the real thing. I'll report back when I have it up and running.

give us an update as soon as you have the unit...
peace

OakyJoe

TC Nursery est 2020
Veteran
End of Week 5 / Day 33 / Day 23 since sexed
1x120W QB
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

smilley

Veteran
I have been researching quantum boards and cobs for a while now and finally ordered this from China.

It cost $461CAD delivered and will probably take a month to get here in Alberta. I'm hoping it will replace my 600hps with a yield improvement. It seems to have similar specs to the HLG 550 V2. Money is tight for me so I couldn't afford $1170CAD for the real thing. I'll report back when I have it up and running.

It arrived today. After duty and brokerage fees it came to $502 CAD. It`s made by Shenzhen Bava. Nice even intensity everywhere and really, really bright (comes with a dimmer). I won`t be installing it for about 3 weeks while I finish the current vertical crop with the retiring 600hps. When I get the next crop going I report back with my impressions and probably a few questions for the experts around here.

G

@ Smilley,
What sized area/tent will you be using this in? I'm thinking about the HLG 600 in a 4x4, but would like less expensive options.

smilley

Veteran
It's going into a 46" x 52" x 96" space. I'm caĺling it 4ft x 4ft. I've never used led so I don't know if mine has enough power but I'll find out with the first crop. Mine is replacing a 600hps so I'm hoping it'll light my space we'll. When I ran the 600 horizontally I only used a 3ft x 3ft footprint

EcoNepenthe

Big Expectations

Big Expectations

It's going into a 46" x 52" x 96" space. I'm caĺling it 4ft x 4ft. I've never used led so I don't know if mine has enough power but I'll find out with the first crop. Mine is replacing a 600hps so I'm hoping it'll light my space we'll. When I ran the 600 horizontally I only used a 3ft x 3ft footprint

Sounds like a nice setup.
QBs or COBs look forward to a really nice harvest. I think ya gonna really like the QBs production and quality. Looking forward to your updates.
Cheers,

Stay safe!!!
Success w/ya grow!!! :canabis:

G

Interesting thread. Personally I was wondering if I should consider a new light but I don’t see a huge jump in the percent of improvement from my 3 year old Timber kit with 3950’s. At this point improvement (I think) is incremental and not worthy of a new light for my 2.5X2X7 tent. I will say though as many have spoken of I added some separate 660 from Rapid LED that I use from flower on as well as some 730’s for the Emerson effect. I do know that before the 730’s if I opened my tent within a few minutes of light on my leaves still had some droop but with the 730’s they seem to be standing up ready to face the day. On a separate timer 7 minutes before lights on and 7 minutes after light out. I bought an Apogee meter $$$ and took readings of the cheap mars hydro I had compared to the new one. Not even close. Not sure where I put the numbers but I think I still have them. Sold the Apogee on eBay.
If I were looking for a new light as a new grower I’d have to do the research but would spend the money for the best available and build my own or a kit. For now I don’t see huge improvement. Guys like me won’t be buying new for a while and even with new growers and the ones who always have to have the latest the market is going to slow down as need for turnover shrinks maybe. That’s when the sales pitches will get crazy trying to convince buyers like me. And yet my light now grows very nice weed.

Koondense

Veteran
Of course you don't need a new light, the cxbs are still in top three options regarding cob/qb leds.
I'm still very pleased with my cxb setup, also have vero se cobs and have no need for upgrading, won't need it for some years.
If you pick the right option at the start, there's no need for change and you save time and money on the long run.

Cheers

Goats

yeah, i'm with Koondense, the CXBs are still great lights, and Timber make really nice fixtures. before you were going to buy that fixture i may have suggested getting a QB setup instead because they're cheaper and a touch more efficient, but there isn't anything wrong with your lights.

G

yeah, i'm with Koondense, the CXBs are still great lights, and Timber make really nice fixtures. before you were going to buy that fixture i may have suggested getting a QB setup instead because they're cheaper and a touch more efficient, but there isn't anything wrong with your lights.
The quantum boards were not out yet I believe a few years ago when I bought my kit from Timber. If they were I probably would have gone that route.

G

Of course you don't need a new light, the cxbs are still in top three options regarding cob/qb leds.
I'm still very pleased with my cxb setup, also have vero se cobs and have no need for upgrading, won't need it for some years.
If you pick the right option at the start, there's no need for change and you save time and money on the long run.

Cheers
Thats what I try to tell people as well. When it comes to lights its a long term investment. Buy once, cry once. And yet they still run to walmart or amazon for the cheapest crap and then bitch because it fails.

Buckeyebandit

Buy once, cry once is the truest words for sure. I bought 2 rapid led chilltech 4x4 kits but I think I made the right choice for my 4x8 tent. Time will tell

R

rastafari80

Hi guys, maybe it's a long time debated question but I found that ali3xpress have lots of HLG look-alike with the same hardware and specs.

Did anyone tested it? or bought one?
I have a 3x3, I work with a cmh but damn, I'm so tempted to buy 2x120w LM301B quantum board.... opinions? It has the same boards and the same driver of the HLG 300... [FYI they have a HLG 550 v1 copy too for a very reasonable price]

https://www. ali3xpress .com/item/led-grow-light-quantum-board-LM301B-288Pcs-Chip-Full-spectrum-240w-samsung-3000K-660nm-Red-Veg/32957263985.html

Last edited:

Buckeyebandit

Go with v2. I had a change in my purchase and went with HLG 2 x 600 H v2. 1300 $ but doing it once cry once lol. I have 2 of HLG 65'S and love them for veg.

morgandecaptain

New toys from HLG, flower initiator and bluetooth driver controller.

The flower initiator needs no timer, just plug it in any outlet. It has a photo cell so it turns on when the main lights go out, PC sensitivity and length of time it stays on are adjustable.

BT controller works on any driver that has 0-10v dimming and requires a 12v power supply. If the driver dims to off there is a schedule in the App that you can use to turn your lights on and off and eliminate the need for a timer.

Latest posts

Latest posts