What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Quantum Boards

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
HLG 550 V2 update:

HLG 550 V2 update:

Coming to the end of my first run with the HLG 550 V2. It didn’t go as smoothly as I would’ve liked, but that is on me. I had very limited time to spend with the plants once flipped. But all in all I am happy with the results and think I will be very happy once I get a better handle on things. And I don’t doubt its ability to match a 1000w HID. Second run with it is just around the corner and I will run a 12/12 schedule that will allow me much more time to spend observing.

I suspect my biggest mistake was not keeping temps high. When I got the light I sort of panicked when it put temps in the tent around 86°F. I set things up to keep it more so in the 78 -81° range. The sad part is that Koondense had told me to shoot for temps around 26-32°C :dunno: Suspecting temps as a problem I set up a PLC-420 COB panel in another tent to run high temps and the plants seem to have responded much better.

Another consideration is CO2. The plants under the QB all looked fine, if not great at 3wks into flower. It was at that point that I fired up the generator. And not too long after that started noticing problems, more so with some plants than others. Only ran it for a little over two weeks before shutting it down... anyone else supplementing CO2 with QB grows? Notice any problems in doing so?

Earlier in the thread I shared a pic of this plant at day 13. This is at day 71. Plan to remove her from the tent tonight, at day 74.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

R

rastafari80

if you're not adding CO2 imho there's no reason to go above 28°C, otherwise you're gonna spoil the trichomes production and get "hairy" buds.
In nature cannabis flowers with colder temps than the veg ones.
The magic spot to me is 24°C, without adding exrtra CO2. And some "cold shock" is dangerous but usefull to force them to "sweat resin" and change buds/leaves colors.
Pay attention to humidity, resin/thc is the natural response to low humidity levels.

Don't use extra CO2 if you're temps are under 25°C.
In your case, with a super bright HLG, it's very usefull to add CO2 if you're getting over 800/900 micromoles under the lights: lowering the light and getting an higher PAR value makes the plants need more CO2.

smilley

Veteran
if you're not adding CO2 imho there's no reason to go above 28°C, otherwise you're gonna spoil the trichomes production and get "hairy" buds.
In nature cannabis flowers with colder temps than the veg ones.
The magic spot to me is 24°C, without adding exrtra CO2. And some "cold shock" is dangerous but usefull to force them to "sweat resin" and change buds/leaves colors.
Pay attention to humidity, resin/thc is the natural response to low humidity levels.

Don't use extra CO2 if you're temps are under 25°C.
In your case, with a super bright HLG, it's very usefull to add CO2 if you're getting over 800/900 micromoles under the lights: lowering the light and getting an higher PAR value makes the plants need more CO2.

Hey Rastafari, really good info. For your "sweet spot" of 24C what would your ideal RH be? Thanks in advance...

R

rastafari80

@smiley: in flowering 24°C and 45/40%, maybe a little higher temp on veg, like 26°C and 70%. for seedlings same temp and 90%...

Goats

i tend to stop worrying about keeping the VPD in range later in flower and focus on ensuring my rh stays <50% to avoid rot.

Koondense

Veteran
Interesting, how do you guys manage to control humidity?
Honestly I'm very passive about that, have practically zero control over rh, it usually stays in 55-65% during flowering and have practically zero botrytis in all my grows.

Cheers

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
In veg and early flower it should be muggy as possible and warm as possible.... By mid flower it should be cooler and dry. Preserve trich mode.... Keep VPD levels according to how much nutrition plant has left. If your overfed you wanna make sure your not low humidity and intaking nutrients even faster.. Super dry during low nutrient phase will flush/mature fast.

Over 80 and your cookin terps late flower supposedly.. Im trying this round with 78 being max.. After bud/trich development 75ish max {incase my IR is increasing leaf temp}.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Interesting, how do you guys manage to control humidity?
Honestly I'm very passive about that, have practically zero control over rh, it usually stays in 55-65% during flowering and have practically zero botrytis in all my grows.

Cheers

Youre bouncing around in the ideal range really..

Sensors running humidifiers and dehumidifiers..

R

rastafari80

@popta: as mentioned before, resin production is a response to low rh. keep it low in flowering.

@koondese: I use a humidifier properly setted to maintain a certain level. Before that I managed with air extraction, the right timing is essential, and sometimes keeping RH very high isn't possibile and it's quite dangerous for your electric stuff.

I usually don't use a humidifier during flowering: it's about right from the intake.

Koondense

Veteran
Yeah it usually works well to just let the intake deliver all the needed humidity although sometimes i saw low vpd symptoms in some plants when rh went in the 50s. Probably related to genetics also and leaf thickness, i never researched it since i don't control rh much.

Cheers

OakyJoe

TC Nursery est 2020
Veteran
Short Update, i'm pretty impressed with the 120Watts Version, on my last run i did around 1Gram per Watts on 12 plants at all on 80x80cm...

Only thing i would mention is the lower popcorn got even more popcorn then before, but thats fine :) trichome and terpene production is on point :)

R

rastafari80

@oakyjoe: sounds like a good result! let me just say it's a not a great choice to have so many plant in that space... 10gr per plant: that's usually just one [little] cola on a good size one!

OakyJoe

TC Nursery est 2020
Veteran
@oakyjoe: sounds like a good result! let me just say it's a not a great choice to have so many plant in that space... 10gr per plant: that's usually just one [little] cola on a good size one!

well yes! i was limited in space and grow em more or less 12/12 without a long veg time :) i now have a scrogged single plant in the same tent which should yield the same... currently with 66 tops that keep stretching :)

Koondense

Veteran
Just wanted to say I finally had a chance to see a qb in action and must say I was impressed. The light coming from this thing is amazing + very high intensity.
Qb kits are the new standard.

OakyJoe

TC Nursery est 2020
Veteran
Budshot from one of the 12 Weeker Plants

picture.php

picture.php

9.5 Weeker

smell & taste is pretty much 50/50 mixed to both parents

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

bucketgirl

600H report

600H report

Did a couple runs with 2x HLG-600H, so far results have been good quality but some reduction in yield compared to 2x SE 1000w old-school hps. Plants were more compact, lost a lot of yield to that I'm sure, but denser buds and less fluffy straight-to-the-hash-bin stuff. I ran into some problems with bleaching even 30" away at max power so I had to dim them to about 75% which sucks. Maybe that's why my yields were lower, too. Any other 600H or similar users reporting bleaching? I see now there's an updated 600h qb with more red spectrum, maybe I need to get those new boards.

OZZ_

Veteran
Did a couple runs with 2x HLG-600H, so far results have been good quality but some reduction in yield compared to 2x SE 1000w old-school hps. Plants were more compact, lost a lot of yield to that I'm sure, but denser buds and less fluffy straight-to-the-hash-bin stuff. I ran into some problems with bleaching even 30" away at max power so I had to dim them to about 75% which sucks. Maybe that's why my yields were lower, too. Any other 600H or similar users reporting bleaching? I see now there's an updated 600h qb with more red spectrum, maybe I need to get those new boards.

I’ve got the HLG 550 and a small HLG 100. The 550 is in storage right now and I haven’t used it yet due to space constraints at the current place. However I’m using the HLG 100 in a micro cab as seen here:

picture.php

I like the design of the boards, and the lightweight slim design. However they run MUCH hotter than I thought they would and do you see how much headroom I have there? Yesterday I tried to raise the plant closer to the light by putting something under the container, it was only raised maybe 4-5” closer and within an hour it start drooping from stress. I even installed that glass heat shield which keeps temps in a great range, 77-82 degrees, but being even just 5” closer to that LED panel had the plant stressed!? What gives?? Is it radiation of some sort? As mentioned it’s not heat, temps at the canopy level we’re 81 degrees. I’ve had micro setups in the past with a 250w hps and was able to get the plants within inches of the bulb only the 250 hps puts out 30,000 lumens and this LED panel only puts out 15,000. Im not sure I’m a fan if I can’t get the plants any closer to the panels, what’s the point? It eats up all your headroom and for *most* home growers vertical space can be a premium, even in tents. Between that and the ease of being able to cool hps or MH bulbs via cool tubes or air cooled hoods vs these panels that just radiate the heat all over the space.... I’m not sure the pros outweigh the cons.

Buckeyebandit

Here's my room with a HLG 600v2 and a 550 rspec. Not sure why one of the post has bleaching. These are run full power and you can see a A.O.G. right next to the 600. As far as heat I put a fan blowing across the heatsinks and it's no problem compared to hps .LEDs I have run around 170 degrees compared to 400 from a 1000 watt hps. LEDS for the win

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Goats

I’ve got the HLG 550 and a small HLG 100. The 550 is in storage right now and I haven’t used it yet due to space constraints at the current place. However I’m using the HLG 100 in a micro cab as seen here:

View Image

I like the design of the boards, and the lightweight slim design. However they run MUCH hotter than I thought they would and do you see how much headroom I have there? Yesterday I tried to raise the plant closer to the light by putting something under the container, it was only raised maybe 4-5” closer and within an hour it start drooping from stress. I even installed that glass heat shield which keeps temps in a great range, 77-82 degrees, but being even just 5” closer to that LED panel had the plant stressed!? What gives?? Is it radiation of some sort? As mentioned it’s not heat, temps at the canopy level we’re 81 degrees. I’ve had micro setups in the past with a 250w hps and was able to get the plants within inches of the bulb only the 250 hps puts out 30,000 lumens and this LED panel only puts out 15,000. Im not sure I’m a fan if I can’t get the plants any closer to the panels, what’s the point? It eats up all your headroom and for *most* home growers vertical space can be a premium, even in tents. Between that and the ease of being able to cool hps or MH bulbs via cool tubes or air cooled hoods vs these panels that just radiate the heat all over the space.... I’m not sure the pros outweigh the cons.

yeah, QBs have head room requirements for sure.

if you want to go LED and have your plants close to the lights, check out strip LEDs. seen people getting plants within a few inches with no adverse effects.