What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple Haze x Malawi

OlDirtyHuman

PHxM1
picture.php

View image in gallery

PHxM2

Started to pick up the pace on growth. Both are showing pre-flowers now after 23 days 12/12.

Last edited:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey folks, I have a five pack of these rolling right now.... ( It came with 6 female seeds inside.... I lost one due to it poping out so soon in the paper towels... I did not get to it in time)

I have 5 up in clear cups of Happy Frog under 4 ft T5's

I'll be watching your grow for sure & if it's cool with you... I will post a few pics of my progress as well as I move forward with them :tiphat:

I stopped using paper towels several germs ago. The fine roothairs quickly gro into the paper, and tare away when you remove them.

My next technique, I just dropped them in water and got vg results, however, older seeds would crack, but refused to extend their tap root, causing me to lose some HQ, but old seeds. This led me to rethink germing, but I only had clones to experiment with, but it should work as well for seeds

My seedling/clone method is hydro, specifically a DIY bubbler. I use 3" net pots + coco cup inserts + coco. My first try was with rooted clones. I then tried fresh cut clones, and stuck them directly into the coco (it must be wet, and I am adding TappinRoot, a rooting hormone)

These clones are both doing well after 7 days, never a sign of stress, or droop.

If you want to see pics, come by my thread

hth

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Glad to see so many running Ace's purple haze malawi, its one of my favorites. Heres another purple haze malawi x napalm, this time under brighter lights with a self irrigated pot. :biggrin:

picture.php

Tangwena

Veteran
I love it when I see red stems on the leaves always bodes well in my opinion. Looking good as usual.
Tangwena

Terpene

Veteran
Thanks Tangwena!

Thats probably a reaction to A) colder nighttime temps or B) stress from the stem splitting under the tension of the "low" stress training around 6 days into flowering. I have bandaged the stem back together with electrical tape and everything is sealing back up nicely. On that note, electrical tape is a fantastic solution for broken stems.

These buckets / lights are forcing me to deal with more vigorous plants and much larger stems (can I call them tree trunks yet?) but still maintain the same overall height which is a bit more involved than I am used to with smaller, more flexible plants.

Last edited:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Tangwena!

Thats probably a reaction to A) colder nighttime temps or B) stress from the stem splitting under the tension of the "low" stress training around 6 days into flowering. I have bandaged the stem back together with electrical tape and everything is sealing back up nicely. On that note, electrical tape is a fantastic solution for broken stems.

These buckets / lights are forcing me to deal with more vigorous plants and much larger stems (can I call them tree trunks yet?) but still maintain the same overall height which is a bit more involved than I am used to with smaller, more flexible plants.

Soda straws cut length-wise work really well, and are not a PITA to wrap like tape

@ya

I agree, I use the straws for seedlings that droop and for branch repair straw first and then tape if branch has a lot of weight.

OlDirtyHuman

PH x M 1
picture.php

PH x M 2
picture.php

Starting to look pretty different. #1 vegged really well, but #2 is ahead in resin production now by a lot. They have been flowering for a 1 month.

Terpene

Veteran
Here's 4 weeks on that Purple Haze Malawi cross, the screw in LEDs are running circles around my last one which was under a 240w Blackstar.
picture.php

OlDirtyHuman

The description of the Malawi in your first post is beautiful and frightening.

Extraordinarily powerful, intense and psychedelic, with more than 4 hours of duration. Only recommended for hard and experienced smokers. We only recommend Malawi for the hardest and most experienced smokers because its extreme power usually “destroys” the majority of the smokers. DO NOT mix it with alcohol and DO NOT use any dangerous machinery under its effect.

Terpene

Veteran
I've found that straight out of the bag soil mix is usually the max of what most thin leaf plants can handle. When you start pushing the nutrients into them (via watering or in the soil mix) you start getting into clawing. As long as you don't continue to push them and let them grow through the nutrient burn, they'll be fine. You may see an additional week of flowering time with that much nitrogen, I know my plants always ran longer when they were heavy on the N.

On the other side of the coin, I've been continually feeding this plant and its still hungry. Granted, its got a stem thats thicker than my thumb in 3.5 gallons of soil, but this is 5 weeks on the cross and the pistils are just starting to die back.

picture.php

As a comparison, here's the last one which was in soil at roughly the same point (just barely sealing off its hairs)
picture.php

Last edited: