in:
Forums > ICMag Vendor Forums > Ace Seeds > ACE (and other sats) Indoor Tricks

Thread Title Search
Click for Ace Seeds
ACE (and other sats) Indoor Tricks Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2015, 12:37 AM #1
Terpene
I love the smell of cannabis in the morning

Terpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant future
ACE (and other sats) Indoor Tricks

Hey all,

I figured I would share more on what I meant by brighter lights / self irrigated pots from the purple haze malawi thread for those who wanted to see what I've been playing with lately.

So the first thing I decided was that I suck at watering as effectively as drip irrigation systems, so I started looking around for set it and forget it systems that don't require drip trays or water run off. The answer I found was self irrigating pots (SIPs) or "Global Buckets." I am hardly brilliant enough to develop a system like this, so here's a link to the original developers of these babies: https://www.globalbuckets.org/ They designed theirs on 5gal / 19L buckets, but I found 3.5gal / 13.25L buckets are way more than enough for my space. Inside, they look like this:

The bottom bucket acts as a reservoir while the top holds soil. The soil cup which nests in the top bucket and sits in the resorvoir wicks up water as the soil is dried out by the plant. I modified this design to include a sight gauge and where they have a hole for excess water to run off, I put a second tube so I know when the plant is topped off. Watering is now as simple as walk in, glance at gauge, fill till its full. (You don't have to cover the soil with white plastic like I did, but it does help to keep moisture in and reflect light back up at the canopy.) My plants haven't ever been this happy and I'm using 1/3rd as much soil as I used to.

The next thing I discovered is that screw in LEDs have come a long way. I stopped by my local home store and found screw-in 16w LEDs which put out an insane amount of light for the $6 I paid for them. They're about twice as bright as the 23w CFLs I was using, with 2-3x the effective penetration. Compared to my 240w Blackstar, they're about half as bright at the same distance, but because you can spread them out for even coverage, the plants can get really close to the lights.

Here's a shot of veg:

Light strength breakdown at distance with my ghetto swing style light meter:

23w CFL
.5" - 1400
1" - 700
3" - 350
6" - 175
12" - 80

16.5w LED
.5" - 2000+
1" - 2000+
3" - 2000
6" - 1000
12" - 500

240w Blackstar LED
.5" - 2000+
1" - 2000+
3" - 2000+
6" - 2000
12" - 1000

STRONG growth from this upgrade, I'm doubling stem size weekly in veg.

Last edited by Terpene; 11-21-2015 at 12:53 AM..
Terpene is offline Quote

25 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:56 AM #2
Chrondiddle O

Chrondiddle O is a jewel in the roughChrondiddle O is a jewel in the roughChrondiddle O is a jewel in the roughChrondiddle O is a jewel in the roughChrondiddle O is a jewel in the roughChrondiddle O is a jewel in the roughChrondiddle O is a jewel in the rough
looks like a neat idea,kind of a hempy bucket meets the oldschool wicking system.
Chrondiddle O is online now Quote

Old 11-21-2015, 11:30 AM #3
MadMac

MadMac is just really niceMadMac is just really niceMadMac is just really niceMadMac is just really niceMadMac is just really niceMadMac is just really niceMadMac is just really niceMadMac is just really niceMadMac is just really niceMadMac is just really niceMadMac is just really nice
MadMac has completed 2 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
Thank you Terpene,
this self irrigating pots is exactly i was looking for for my next grow!
i was thinking to do it like the same with my smart pot's because they working so well for long time grow (sativa)...
no root bound or other root issues and you get more air to the roots too...
many thx for all the infos's...
M.

Last edited by MadMac; 11-21-2015 at 12:14 PM..
MadMac is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:32 AM #4
Baron Greenback

Fascinating, thanks for sharing this.
I go down the Gardena drip system route, all the valves and connectors are idiot proof and all the pipework is readily available from a normal gardening shop for ease.
Be interested to see the results from this one, looking good already.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:55 AM #5
Trich_Tyson

Trich_Tyson has much to be proud ofTrich_Tyson has much to be proud ofTrich_Tyson has much to be proud ofTrich_Tyson has much to be proud ofTrich_Tyson has much to be proud ofTrich_Tyson has much to be proud ofTrich_Tyson has much to be proud ofTrich_Tyson has much to be proud ofTrich_Tyson has much to be proud ofTrich_Tyson has much to be proud ofTrich_Tyson has much to be proud of
Love the buckets.. little passive hydro.. also, beautifully trained plant..

lastly..

That pic is too cool man.. gives the illusion of a big as room..

Trich_Tyson is online now Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:59 PM #6
Terpene

Terpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant future
Thanks all, I am glad I could help.

MadMac - If you're planning to do this with grow bags inside buckets, there's a guy online whos design you'll probably be interested in: https://www.alaskagrowbuckets.com/ala...-bucket-guide/

The only reason I didn't do them was the pot-to-pot plumbing for the external reservoir. Seemed like too much re-inventing the wheel for a 4 plant flowering area.

Another quick and easy solution for HUGE plants would be to use 30 gallon totes with drain tubing at the bottom for a reservoir:

I've already tried this method with my strawberries outside. Watering went from 10 minutes with the hose every other day when they were in-ground to about once a week for 30-45 seconds.
Terpene is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:35 PM #7
Terpene

4 weeks on that Purple Haze Malawi x Napalm in the sub irrigated pot / screw in 16w LEDs is running circles around my previous run under a 240w Blackstar:

Here's the previous plant under the blackstar at 5 weeks for comparison:
Terpene is offline Quote

8 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:19 PM #8
highroller614

highroller614 has a spectacular aura abouthighroller614 has a spectacular aura abouthighroller614 has a spectacular aura abouthighroller614 has a spectacular aura about
Well thats an awesome idea and thanks for sharing Terpene. Im interested to see your results I will be around for this one. Your grow looks awesome very organized. I can see this being a game changer for me perhaps......
highroller614 is offline Quote

Old 12-11-2015, 03:53 AM #9
Terpene

The last of my CFLs were replaced today.

My seedling veg area (2x2x2) was four 23w CFLs but I was tired of the heat the CFLs were making. So I replaced them with four 8w LED bulbs that I saw at Home Depot for $4 bucks each. According to my light meter, brightness is actually a little bit up overall at 1/4 the wattage.

Total wattage consumption for veg is 170w over 12sqft. Flowering is 385w over 16sqft (Blackstar 240w and nine 16w LEDs). Toss a couple fans on there and everything rounds out to 575w. I've built desktop computers that suck down more juice.
Terpene is offline Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:11 AM #10
konopenko

konopenko is just really nicekonopenko is just really nicekonopenko is just really nicekonopenko is just really nicekonopenko is just really nicekonopenko is just really nicekonopenko is just really nicekonopenko is just really nicekonopenko is just really nicekonopenko is just really nice
Lovely setup Terpene, looks like girls love it! Do you have any kind of Orwellian police control there to worry about electricity consumption?
konopenko is offline Quote