What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pure Thai Seeds?

Satyros

Just for clarification, with Wild Thailand, I found 7/10 sprouting over about a twelve hour period. I don't know if it's done, but I'm prepared to say it's not a tragedy.

I have no clue if it's really pure, any good, or will start or finish flowering, but it sure has been a whole lot of fun so far!

Edit: right around the corner, those came up 100%, so I can't say this seed or breeder consistently produces failures.

Last edited:

xet

A great primer for this post: ‘Thai Stick’ or ‘Lao Stick’?

The Thai stick lives.

Do not believe the haters and party-poopers.

The Thai stick lives.
The Thai stick lives.
The Thai stick lives.

in 2022 anyway.

The holy grail of that classe of genetics is being nearly single-handedly and entirely archived [for the time being] by Angus at The Real Seed Company so big ups to Angus, his friends, and the Thai ganja community.

Disclaimer: I want to press peeps that they really should inbreed the pure lines before outcrossing; the main goal being preservation and sharing to the wider community to increase the overall population of these pure lines, e.g., It would be nice if 10000 and not 100 people kept these pure lines so 10 or 20 or 30 years from now they still exist for the next generation ad infinitum; especially with the earth being now soon overrun with hemp pollen and all sorts of lackluster, viroid-ridden, hybrid genetics.

All of these accessions can be accurately classed into "Thai Stick" given the context of Thai/Lao commercial relationships during and after the spread of Thai Stick fame. Could these all be interbred? I guess so. But it's wiser to keep the parental elements separate from your crosses unless you have your own valley(s) to play with (Arjan of GHS).
Bokeo #2
Burmese
Central Lao
Highland Lao
Highland Lao #3
Highland Lao #4
Highland Thai
Lao Gold
Lao Sa
Mango Thai
Mango Thai #2

This makes 11 accessions of real bonafide Thai Stick.

Happy searching and share the beans.

Prepare to have your jaw dropped at the sight of the Bokeo accession here: https://www.icmag.com/threads/rscs-bokeo.17902198/page-2

Angus can correct me on these things I am only here passing on what I know.

It is a lie though to say Thai stick is extinct insofar as that commercial process is in fact extinct but the genetics live on.

Terroir is perhaps most responsible for the famed Thai stick's effect.

If you are not growing in scorching heat near the equator in open sun I highly doubt the CB1 activating cannabinoids will be as prevalent as they would be being produced by the plant for the purpose of sealing itself from that intense Thai sunlight and heat.

Happy pheno hunting.

I feel so blessed by the creator of the most high for my original question being answered.

Throughout my own search I became obsessed with Southern Star Seeds (OzG where did you go bro start up again plz) MM / Nanan Bouclou accessions concerning the Thai stick trade of the 60's having it's influence in these genetics along with the novelty of Haitian and PNG genetics I personally found equally as rare as the Thai. More on that soon for another thread.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
id fully agree xet,
well except for laos stick part ,
it was thais doing that for the most part , but thats not to say laos didnt end up doing some too ,
it is possible of course
though they tended to sell their stuff loose as far as ive been able to find out ....
and without doubt" thai stick" was made by thai people ...

absolutely on the conditions being responsible for amplifying already good genetics to something profound ,
anyone that has been to the areas it was grown would have noted its very hot and dry out there and cannabis seems to just love that..

i wish i knew who did southern star seeds ,
i have a feeling it was someone i know , or at least not too distant from our circle ,
because another aussie got some seed from him and we are sure they were produced from seeds i made ,
anyway in my little seed stash are both mullumbimby madness seeds and highland png seeds , as well as a fair few different thai strains and laos strains , even some indian and african sativas ... ,
if i get half a chance i will do something with them in time , even if its just a repo ....
they are strains i value also and i dont think there is enough of them around ...

xet

id fully agree xet,
well except for laos stick part ,
it was thais doing that for the most part , but thats not to say laos didnt end up doing some too ,
it is possible of course
though they tended to sell their stuff loose as far as ive been able to find out ....
and without doubt" thai stick" was made by thai people ...

absolutely on the conditions being responsible for amplifying already good genetics to something profound ,
anyone that has been to the areas it was grown would have noted its very hot and dry out there and cannabis seems to just love that..

i wish i knew who did southern star seeds ,
i have a feeling it was someone i know , or at least not too distant from our circle ,
because another aussie got some seed from him and we are sure they were produced from seeds i made ,
anyway in my little seed stash are both mullumbimby madness seeds and highland png seeds , as well as a fair few different thai strains and laos strains , even some indian and african sativas ... ,
if i get half a chance i will do something with them in time , even if its just a repo ....
they are strains i value also and i dont think there is enough of them around ...
I got this info on a forum, Evidently SSS, going by OzG, is a long-time Rum distiller in NSW and picked up his Hatian and PNG and any other accessions from sourcing sugarcane fields for his Rum. Shouldn't be too hard to pick it up from there.

According to Angus most of the Thai Stick was in fact being produced in Central Laos. Processing of thai stick also had a lot to do with the final product. Even old thai farmers who were producing Thai stick 60 years ago say that Thailand had small 5 acre plots while the massive fields were all in Laos.

And many of the fields were across the river from one another while one side of the river Thailand and the other Laos.

Point being it was a huge effort to supply the world with thai stick going to the americas, UK, Aus... thus causing Thai, Laos, Burmese to primarily account for that effort in whatever percentages, but the great majority being Laos.

Maybe blame the guy who named it Thai stick and not Lao stick.

After the war Thailand made growing the herb practically illegal while Laos went on growing massive fields with their same seedstock virtually uninterrupted.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
the problem i have with that story is why didnt it continue after they stamped it out in thailand ,
because the commercial laos stuff afterwards just isnt in the same race ,
im aware large fields are grown in laos and still they produce massive amounts , but its all brick weed ,
no thai sticks , or laos sticks , and the quality just isnt the same at all ....

the other hole in it comes from some of the smugglers that purchased large amounts of thai stick at $3 a kilo,
not really leaving much room for it to have come from anywhere but where they purchased it from , which was in the provinces in thailand that neighbour laos, very doubtful they purchased it in laos and transported it over and sold it for no mark up ..

nothing worth really talking about came after the early to mid 80s ,
i just assume if they were producing it in laos , and they never stopped,
why did the quality plummet and the sticks stop ....
btw
did u see the video clips posted in the other thread ?
suss it out , well worth seeing xet ....

yea i did note the story from sss about how he obtained the png gold ,
it was just up the road from me in north queensland he obtained that stuff ,
a lovely little spot called cape tribulation ....
at least we can be reasonably sure there is some decent sativa still floating around oz ,
but i think it needs to be gathered up and reproduced to save it from extinction ...

xet

the problem i have with that story is why didnt it continue after they stamped it out in thailand ,
because the commercial laos stuff afterwards just isnt in the same race ,
im aware large fields are grown in laos and still they produce massive amounts , but its all brick weed ,
no thai sticks , or laos sticks , and the quality just isnt the same at all ....

the other hole in it comes from some of the smugglers that purchased large amounts of thai stick at $3 a kilo,
not really leaving much room for it to have come from anywhere but where they purchased it from , which was in the provinces in thailand that neighbour laos, very doubtful they purchased it in laos and transported it over and sold it for no mark up ..

nothing worth really talking about came after the early to mid 80s ,
i just assume if they were producing it in laos , and they never stopped,
why did the quality plummet and the sticks stop ....
btw
did u see the video clips posted in the other thread ?
suss it out , well worth seeing xet ....

yea i did note the story from sss about how he obtained the png gold ,
it was just up the road from me in north queensland he obtained that stuff ,
a lovely little spot called cape tribulation ....
at least we can be reasonably sure there is some decent sativa still floating around oz ,
but i think it needs to be gathered up and reproduced to save it from extinction ...
I watched the video, really good.

The only constant is change.

As I currently understand things this is a sort of Occam's Razor scenario of Thailand simply not having the fields to accommodate what was commercially happening then and by all accounts Thai and Laos were like peas in a pod in their craft.

I am just making this number up but it sounds like Thailand was growing 30% - 50% before their crackdown.

The hole you are describing is where my interest in the oz MM came about.

Evidently the main thai stick operation, whoever that outfit was, moved it's main HQ south of Thailand so to say. Malaysia? PNG? New Zealand (I read over some accounts who suggested all Thai stick came from NZ which I believe is 1000% BS)? Oz? New Caledonia? Palau? Micronesia? Hawaii? All of the above? Supply routes got scattered about is the main point.

It is also not unreasonable to imagine the hippies flooding California and New York with thai stick hand selected the best farmer(s) to source their bud from.

To arrive in a stick vs brick tells you there was a type of marketing effort here (terroir).

Also from what I am currently understanding is Laos would be selling far cheaper than Thailand to start with. It is sounding to me like Thai/Laos was a sort of US/Mexico type of relationship with Thailand being the US and Laos being Mexico socioeconomically speaking.

By all accounts the Central Laos story is more than true, it is easy to talk of gradients of expressions north to south, east to west, dry to humid, desert to rainy, hills to lowland, etc.

Maybe the hippies wanted these fields to process them in sticks while the rest was pressed as brick unless they had no technology for mass producing brick at the time.

The main arc of where I am going with this is that the thai genetics live and anyone can run some selections and find a real winner.

And the general stripe running thru all of these lines is being top class bud from Thai, Laos, Burmese.

Lastly I want to note MLKJR was shot in 1968. Nearly half a million Vietnamese were killed in The Vietnam War which was started on a lie (Gulf of Tonkin never have happened which was the official reason for starting the war). 1973 saw a major energy crisis. The Vietnam War finally ended in 1975. Cocaine was about to go atmospheric throughout the 80's. Things culturally fell apart worldwide from whatever hippie enlightenment was flowering and that was by design by Babylon. Many conditions which harbored a real kind environment were stripped away from the people; one of which being that convenient thai stick.

romanoweed

Terroir is perhaps most responsible for the famed Thai stick's effect.
thats not what i tried to say with terroir..
The effect of a PROPPER Indor Terroir VS Thai Terooir on the Quality of a Thai-strain is imho smaller than

50 years of degradation of genetics in thailand.. Sorry to say, the good its only an subjective opinion.

The Idea of my Terroir thing was not Degradation.. It was that a strain expresses just DIFFERENT.. very very good in bouth cases (here VS there) , and after years of growing it here this Change of epression leads to a different choice in the Selction we do..

However.. Old inbreed Thailines would be a much better choice than any modern collected thai in Thailand..
The good its my subjective opinion

Last edited:

romanoweed

im not saing todays collected thaistick is garbage, im just saying, no, it looks alread different, old thai had redish to blueish, or yellowish colors imho, there were plainly green Thais too.. but there was no absense of colors like today.. ive never seen something so beautiful as old thai lines..

so, that already makes me sceptical. ok, i havent smoked realseedcompanys strains, but one modern cambodian wich i g^found one of the better looking was eactly like i imagined.. the uphigh was there, but not the depth, not the class or depth. probably one of these is better, but i have looked at them,

romanoweed

so yeah.. i say, the modern collections look different 1: absense of colors, 2: dirty colors like brown 3: like sandpaper if i try to describe the look
4: nobody trows up, compleetly gets lost, hallucinates, speaks in a similar manner than old hippies of thai. that can have multiple reasons, but i just think i can hear it in smokereports.. No hallucination, no lifechanging eperience or similar exitement nomore.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
yea there is quite a few parts to that , its a bit of a series i havent managed to watch more than the first 2 so far
but i like it since its done by thais rather than a spin from a western interpretation ...

it is possible there was more market than the thais were producing for ,
which could well have opened up another market for the laos weed,
but it was still likely just compressed pot and not the sticks imo,

they are not really peas in a pod those two countries despite being close and no doubt related a long while back,
and even despite the ones on the thai side speaking laos and eating laos food...

i think they did things differently for a common market seems more likely ,
though having read what guys like sam skunkman said when he went over there during the times of thai stick production,
the laos didnt produce large commercial amounts according to him ,
and the thai sticks were produced in thailand , with the central place being sakon nakhon , where a lot of the herb was taken to for distribution , as well as udonthani ,
maybe the laos people picked up the slack after the thais were out of the game..
maybe its what arrived in america and was what they referred to as choc thai ,
rumoured to be from thailand , but not on sticks ...

anyhow im enjoying the snippets of information that come up from time to time like the ones from that youtube clip ,
i guess eventually we will have enough of the story to summerize...

xet

yea there is quite a few parts to that , its a bit of a series i havent managed to watch more than the first 2 so far
but i like it since its done by thais rather than a spin from a western interpretation ...

it is possible there was more market than the thais were producing for ,
which could well have opened up another market for the laos weed,
but it was still likely just compressed pot and not the sticks imo,

they are not really peas in a pod those two countries despite being close and no doubt related a long while back,
and even despite the ones on the thai side speaking laos and eating laos food...

i think they did things differently for a common market seems more likely ,
though having read what guys like sam skunkman said when he went over there during the times of thai stick production,
the laos didnt produce large commercial amounts according to him ,
and the thai sticks were produced in thailand , with the central place being sakon nakhon , where a lot of the herb was taken to for distribution , as well as udonthani ,
maybe the laos people picked up the slack after the thais were out of the game..
maybe its what arrived in america and was what they referred to as choc thai ,
rumoured to be from thailand , but not on sticks ...

anyhow im enjoying the snippets of information that come up from time to time like the ones from that youtube clip ,
i guess eventually we will have enough of the story to summerize...
To be totally honest I do not care about those details all that much. How could 2 fields which share the same river be so different. A detail that really unconcerns me in the greater picture. I see people fight endlessly over details who/what/where and it's not my lane. I feel I personally have reassurance the thai genetics is alive and well and others are free to form their own opinion. And there are enough true accessions growing very huge trees just like the old days and there should be no disappointment to discover in these accessions whatsoever.

My focus right now is seeing the thai become popular again. Who has the best thai? Not sneaking in a cross o fruit pebbles cornpop chem blah blah, the real thai

romanoweed

go to this Viedeo and read the Comments, take yourselve an hour, to really read alot.

One of the favorit coments was, the guy smoking 70s thai, and blocks away from his frien unable to find his friends house. And then saying one time he got black wed from Vietnam, and it was the only time he found something stronger.

Im not good in copying the coments, read themselve, you hear a certain eitement, like becoming a kid again, you hear how the people often just describe it short, to the point, like this was IT.
You know i hear out it was specail, cause i smoked it too, its probably a bit hard to hear it for people who not smoked 70s thai.

just read the comments, its a good lesson
one guy said he hallucinated on black jamaican (ok not thai this time)

Last edited:

romanoweed

Who has the best thai? Not sneaking in a cross o fruit pebbles cornpop chem blah blah
i told you guys , go to oldschoolba, contact him , ask for thai78, and thai68.
Thai68 beeing the thinner-leaved line. that is the best thai on market if you ask me. IMHO
no, i dodnt smoke it, but i see ts a real one. not the best ever in eistence , but the best thai on market

romanoweed

and yeah, my links may get bought up by breeders. i shared this link for 2 years with countless people in PM, was forced by a forum to share the lnks.. i knew nobody would buy it.. so, its sad, but this oldscholba lines will die . they will get sold out, so, i recommend you to buy em if your in a legal state.. 100 d.

Its my holyer Grail for you,, not the holyest, but sadly a holy one.. sad sad.. it will die probably..

Latest posts

Latest posts