What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Portable Dabs

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
No that was from when I first bought the rda it had a coil in it and I tried it, and it sucked. So I built my own and it hits like a champ, I know what your saying it really does matter how your coil is set up in relation to how you hold it, I tilt my back just a little and it funnels down the coil for a fat dab. Might have to try one of those copper rods. What's is the best way to clean the deck??

Don't know the best way to clean the deck, as I haven't ever really cleaned mine completely, lol. Well I guess that is only a half truth. I took the coil out a few weeks ago, and scraped the deck with my dab tool. The top part of the atty I remove and take a paper towel soak it with 91% iso alcohol and twist it inside the top part. Then use q-tips with iso for the outside and the air holes.

Wallsberry

Don't know the best way to clean the deck, as I haven't ever really cleaned mine completely, lol. Well I guess that is only a half truth. I took the coil out a few weeks ago, and scraped the deck with my dab tool. The top part of the atty I remove and take a paper towel soak it with 91% iso alcohol and twist it inside the top part. Then use q-tips with iso for the outside and the air holes.

Thank you for answering all my stupid questions. I now have it running beautiful, not wasting any and getting a fat dab ever time and it is literally the closest thing I have taken to a dab off a nail. Building your coils is the way to go

-thanks to anyone else that answered my questions

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
Thank you for answering all my stupid questions. I now have it running beautiful, not wasting any and getting a fat dab ever time and it is literally the closest thing I have taken to a dab off a nail. Building your coils is the way to go

-thanks to anyone else that answered my questions

Not a problem man. It's what this site is all about, helping each other out. Many have helped me, and I love passing it on.

LostTribe

Premium user

just remove the deck and soak it in 91% iso and you can reclaim the good stuff by letting the alcohol evaporate too! They sure get sticky. I used to rebuild my coils regularly but lately I havent had a need or reason too. I just wrap them big around mesh wick and its good to go I think I used 24 ga last time....

Everyone still using efest batteries? Any recommendations for a value priced charger that wont fall apart like the crap I bought on ebay for $10?

LostTribe

Premium user
A battery charger for the car would be a treat for sure and would come in handy when I am not at home!

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
I use an eleaf battery. Cell phone charger works with mine. USB cord is all you need to have a home/portable charger.

LostTribe

Premium user
Here is a list of things you can search for on ebay to build a rig like mine and the ones discussed above. I am not providing direct links in case the auctions close or you want to search for a deal.

Search eBay for the following, These are the 4 main parts you need for your vape.

1) "Nemesis Mod"

- Get whichever color you want. I recommend getting the magnet switch upgrade if your seller offers it. It gives better feeling to the button

2) "Patriot RDA"

- Again, get whichever color you want. I got one that was drilled out for more airflow, which works good for our purposes.

3) "Efest 18650"

- These are the batteries. Make sure you get the purple 35A High Drain 18650 batteries. Do not get generic or cheap batteries. Get at least 2.

4) For your battery charger you have two options. "Intellicharger i4" or "Efest LUC v4"

- The efest charger is a little more expensive, but comes with a car plug so you can charge on the go and the screen gives you a lot more information about the battery status. Do not get a cheap charger either. No cheap chargers, no cheap batteries!

The next two items are really up to you what you get, you need material to build coils, which consist of wire and wick. You can find this stuff on Amazon or eBay

1) "24 AWG Kanthal"

- Your coil wire. Use any gauge you want. I am using the above. Make sure the listing says the wire is A1 grade.

2) "stainless mesh 400"

- You want a piece of stainless steel mesh which you roll up to use for the wick inside of your coil. I am not sure if the mesh count really matters, but the one I use is 400 mesh.

After that, all you need to do is build your coil which may seem daunting but really takes about 15 minutes your first time, 10 of which is spent watching youtube videos.

Also, an optional piece of equipment, but one I recommend is "atomizer ohm meter" so you can measure the resistance of the coils you are building. They can be dangerous if you are experimenting with new coil designs and end up wrapping a super low sub-ohm coil

Mine is exactly like this but its blacked out!

LostTribe

Premium user
I have an intellicharger but it broke on 3 of the 4 springs. Might try the efest charger need a new battery already too.

LostTribe

Premium user
Some random pics I had. Ive tried multiple different RDA coil combos, while some work well for taste or volume, I like claptons for general use. Plus you can order them pre made which is what I did, I don't have the time or patience to twist these things.

Thats tight as hell!

Anybody else got a mod with Temp Control on it? Recommendations? My Nemesis clone bought the farm thanks to a friend that just got too ripped!

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
Thats tight as hell!

Anybody else got a mod with Temp Control on it? Recommendations? My Nemesis clone bought the farm thanks to a friend that just got too ripped!

I'm rocking an eleaf 40w temp control. Admittedly I don't use the temp control function very much. They also make a 60 watt temp control. Really nice battery though. Pass-thru charging, not overly large.

Biohpilic

Hey guys,

I've been using my portable dabs setup (evic vtc mini, velocity mini rda, ss304 1.1ohm vertical coil with ss mesh) for a few days and it works great, but I have some concerns. I don't have the time to read the 21 pages of comments though, so I hope I'm not repeating stuff.

I don't know if you have considered this but, any wire you use to make your coils is usually used in E-cigs to vaporize e-liuqid. This means the wicking material is always wet, and so is the coil. As long as it's all wet it won't get to really high temps (200-300C I guess), but at least in my case, as soon as the bho is vaporized the coil can get glowing red (which means more like 1000C) pretty fast, depending on the wattage you're using. Both SS and Kanthal have chromium in them so at high temps they release hexavalent chromium (I think it starts to be released at about 700C), which is a carcinogen.

If this is a concern for the E-cig community I think it should be an even bigger concern for us, since we are pretty much firing this things dry from the start (at least in my setup the coil is never submerged in bho).

I'm currently firing my device at 10w, which means I can push the button for 10s while drawing from it and the coil will not start to glow red (just a deep red glow in a dark room). I would like to fire it at 75W and get a 1s super dab, but I don't think that's safe at all.

Also, at the end of the 10s the temperature is of course higher and the vapor gets thicker and has a weird taste, and I don't know if this is just the bigger molecules in the extract which have a more phenolic taste or it's actually that even at those temps I'm inhaling some SS stuff.

Have you considered this safety issues with the wire? do you have any reccomendations as to how to make this setup safer?

LostTribe

Premium user
I'm rocking an eleaf 40w temp control. Admittedly I don't use the temp control function very much. They also make a 60 watt temp control. Really nice battery though. Pass-thru charging, not overly large.

OOOOOG!

Hey thanks for the response man I am looking to find something asap locally are most of the box mods adaptable to whatever rda you want to use on them? what about batteries? They come with batteries or use the same 18650's?

Laters

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
OOOOOG!

Hey thanks for the response man I am looking to find something asap locally are most of the box mods adaptable to whatever rda you want to use on them? what about batteries? They come with batteries or use the same 18650's?

Laters

It's a single 18650 inside the housing. The larger wattage eleaf batteries have the feature of removing the battery for charging, so having a charged spare is an option.

To answer your question about the rda's. The TC40W I have goes down to .01 ohm's. So just about any rda will work with it.

I've happily used a MicroG for the past few years but a few weeks ago I bought an OG 4.20 tank that fits on any e cig battery. THAT THING FUCKING RIPS!!! Best 35 bucks I ever spent with a quartz heating element in it. The pulls I get off that thing easily compare to me taking a nice size dab with a carb cap

r00st3rsauc3

So, I'm still rocking my nemesis clone like the instructions on page 13.

I have made some minor changes to the build:

I replaced the magnets in the switch with a custom made spring. Using the same 24ga wire as for coils and a bolt of the correct diameter to go around the post inside the switch. When not in use, I screw the switch into the body.

Adjusting the contacts and insulators on either side of the battery is a pita. superglue helps.

I now make my coils like Walls. Mine are an inverted cone and I make them nice and tight. The tighter the coil the more evenly it heats. you guys do waaaay bigger dabs than me so one nice golden mouse turd in a single coil is good for me for a hit. I don't let the coil get too hot by toggling the switch on and off.

I do dry fire to clean the coil and also occasionally hit it with the torch and the iso to clean it up.

re: comment above re: wicks.
wicks are gross. what's the point of taking good shatter and mixing it with pg or something else? with a coil, you lose a little bit of the simplicity of a cartridge but instead get a nice, clean dab

also, just to throw out my .02, I find ceramic plates, bowls, etc to be gross. they just taste funny to me... idky

LostTribe

Premium user
I am looking at the eleaf models and probably gonna go ahead and pick one up this weekend. What is the difference with the lower vs higher wattages on the TC units?

For TC I need NI or TI coil right?

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
I am looking at the eleaf models and probably gonna go ahead and pick one up this weekend. What is the difference with the lower vs higher wattages on the TC units?

For TC I need NI or TI coil right?

If your gonna be using the battery to power a tank with e-juice in it, and use the temp function, you want the NI coils. If your gonna use the wattage function go for the TI coils.

The difference between the different wattage models are the size of the unit, and the amount/size of the batteries. I have the 100w temp control, and the 40w temp control. Here's a couple pics comparing the two.

picture.php

picture.php

As you can see the batteries on the 100w are removable for charging. The 40w, the battery stays inside the unit, and is only chargable thru the usb charger. They have a 60w TC that has a single removable battery, my wife has that model.

All in all, they are all nice units. IMO it comes down to personal preference on size, weight, and desired amount of vapor production. The 100w unit is rather heavy compared to the other models and it's a lot bigger in size.

Now I'm using the 40w TC strictly for my RDA's that I use for BHO. It's plenty powerful for the amount/size of hits of BHO I take.

LostTribe

Premium user
If your gonna be using the battery to power a tank with e-juice in it, and use the temp function, you want the NI coils. If your gonna use the wattage function go for the TI coils.

The difference between the different wattage models are the size of the unit, and the amount/size of the batteries. I have the 100w temp control, and the 40w temp control. Here's a couple pics comparing the two.

View Image

View Image

As you can see the batteries on the 100w are removable for charging. The 40w, the battery stays inside the unit, and is only chargable thru the usb charger. They have a 60w TC that has a single removable battery, my wife has that model.

All in all, they are all nice units. IMO it comes down to personal preference on size, weight, and desired amount of vapor production. The 100w unit is rather heavy compared to the other models and it's a lot bigger in size.

Now I'm using the 40w TC strictly for my RDA's that I use for BHO. It's plenty powerful for the amount/size of hits of BHO I take.

Thanks Triple O....

Grabbed an evic vtc 75watt.....will this thing work with a patriot rda? hope so....ordered some Ti wire too for the TC...

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone tried the ceramic wickless atomizers (the Atmos Kiln) with the mech mods?

For poops and giggles I just switched it up...
Ive been puffing on it for about 10 minutes now set up as such...

It doesn't rip as large as the coils prescribed in this thread. It lessens the force, so to speak.
But it seems like you can load it up with more concentrate payload, and take more hits before having to reload.

It definitely hits larger than any cloud or gpen or seego. To be honest, the Kiln set up on the mech mod is a way better experience over set up w the iTaste MVP for concentrates.
Its not a dab to the dome to put you to bed like hitting a red hot nail with a bowling ball dab.

But its not a soft little push either. that 18650 is under the hood, remember hahahaha

I think I kinda like it. It tamed the beast a bit. But she still growls. Wow.
Gonna be doing more research on this combination (like is it safe hahaha) because... now 20minutes into testing... this is something I think you guys should look into.

instead of taking one huge rip as i walk thru the parking venturing into costco Im thinking I can take about 35 medium range shots while I traverse the aisles. boom boom boom. AND GET HIGH. unlike the cloud/gpens.

wow.

Curious what others think....

Aloha