What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PLL Club. (if you don't know, now you know)

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Yay!

pll1.jpg
DSCF3232.JPG
DSCF3217.JPG

Researcher

PL-L Flowers

PL-L Flowers

Here is my first ever hydro attempt. 30 days veg with 6500k bulbs from 20 year old bag seed. Ack! way too long to veg in my cab hahah. 44 days of 12/12 under 220 watts of PL-L with 2 6500k and 2 3000k bulbs. I'll have to find the better camera for better photos.

One of the hydro buds

Another hydro bud

I also turned my veg room into a flower room with 266 watts of spiral CFL's. These were vegged under about 150 watts of CFL's for 38 days also from the same old bagseed.

They are on 36 days flowering. The cfl buds are much frostier than my hydro buds and look different. Quite interesting. One of the plants is growing red pistils.

Plants in soil

Red Pistils

Lower Red Pistils

Top Bud Red Pistils

Quite a find on a first unknown bag seed grow.:dance013:

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Nice one Researcher. I would rock that 20yo bagseed any time :D

In the pic is an 827 and 830. I have 2 bulbs of each to go nuts with. And yeah, I didn't have my sunnies on so I couldn't see a thing after that :)

Boleman

What are the risks of fire like with PLLs? is there any chance that the ballast could short out and spark about or is it rather safe? is it unnecessary to put them on a Breaker circuit thingy?with say, 220 watts?

fire is not a likely outcome, as you can touch these bulbs with your hand when they are at full heat. The larger they are the warmer they are.

Boleman

I see a lot of you guys using hardwire connections on your setups. This is a sick method, but you can always get the click in. It is much more versitile and easy as hell to change your bulbs. Trust in the Click-in installation, it works like a charm. Every time.

If you look for replacements for the Nano Cube Fish Tank. You can look for the part number to order wholesale prices somewhere else. You can order the Click in connection, and the bulb-bracing bracket.

I would show you pictures, but my plants are in 12-12 right now. But if you look at my first grow, I believe I show pictures of it.

Researcher

Nice one Researcher. I would rock that 20yo bagseed any time :D

In the pic is an 827 and 830. I have 2 bulbs of each to go nuts with. And yeah, I didn't have my sunnies on so I couldn't see a thing after that :)

Thanks ScrubNinja. Now that you tell me they are different kelvins I went back and looked again. It's more than apparent that one of the bulbs looks much brighter than the other. The 3000k one I presume. Funny I couldn't see that myself. lol

j6p

I got a dual 55w pll setup finally. I'm getting about 1 degree above ambient in my DR60 now. :woohoo:
mat090917-1.jpg
growMEDS, is this the same setup as the one in your picture?

http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=51907

This is currently my #1 choice for my new cab. Your plants look awesome.

Thanks,

- mini
It looks exactly the same. The HTG 110W setups seem reasonably priced at $70 each, bulbs included; add US shipping the total is $85. I haven't looked around at any other PLL plug 'n play units.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Boleman, it makes it a lot easier to mount them also.

Researcher, yeah it's a pretty fine difference! I think it's the 827 on top. I upped an extra pic which may show things better.

DSCF3226.JPG

The plants are gonna love it :cool:

superpedro

Veteran
Hey scrubs!

Looking forward to see how you end up using them. :)
Have you noticed any noise if the ballasts are placed to close together?

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Hiya Pedro! I only wired the one ballast so far, but I will check that as soon as I do the other one. I ran out of scrappy bits of extension cord so I have to go to the shop :)

But thinking about it, I guess it would be optimal to place the ballasts as far from each other as is possible, eh? Because I have a fair bit of space to play with.

Edit: I should be able to have them 45cm apart no problem.

superpedro

Veteran
That should be plenty :D I had them placed 1 cm apart at first when they made more noise than my fans. Now they have 3 cm of space and no noise what so ever.
It's a tight fit in my air channel..

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Heph, go for it, 6000 lumens! But the 55 is the highest efficacy (lumens per watt). The 55w is 87 lpw versus 75 lpw of the 80w. They're a little bigger than the 55s too.

Attachments

• OSRAM_DULUX_Technical_Guide.pdf
    463.8 KB · Views: 53

Hephaestus

While efficiency is good; still you're gaining a whole extra light bulb if you're running wh7's and putting 80w's in place of the 55w... Basically gaining the lumen equivalent of another 55w... Without the hassle of extra ballasts :D

Hrm, why is the DULUX an inch longer - the GE/Phillips are showing the same length...

Going to have to see if I can get my local lighting shop to bring some of these in... Hate to buy 25 of them though...

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Efficiency is more than good :D If you look at it from my perspective, I can only really keep 55s juuust cool enough in my climate/situation. The only thing in the cab really generating any heat is the bulbs - all heat comes from there. So if I use a less efficient light, I am getting less lumens, and more heat per watt, and that wouldn't help no matter which way I look at it.

You could probably fit hundreds of watts in there if you used CFLs, but you wouldn't, right? It would be inefficient. Whether the inefficiency comes from a coiled glass tube that shines on itself, or just less efficient electronics/inside workings, the end result is the same - more heat and less light.

But I do concede that's just my opinion. Surprise me :D

I've never noticed a 55 the same size as an 80. Did you read this on an official page or PDF? I wouldn't trust lighting store website specs too far.

Hephaestus

Just need glass/acrylic/plexi to separate and ventilate separately (think cooltube).

I was sure I saw em being the same size last night - maybe I smoked too much :joint: Ah well whats an inch between friends? :D