What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PLL Club. (if you don't know, now you know)

TheGreenBastard

Assistant Weekend Trailer Park Superviser
Veteran
Does anyone know how wide a 55w pl-l is? The ones I have been looking at are ~21" long but no specification on the width. I'd like to be able to fit two in a 22(l)x9(w)x20(h) PC case if possible.

ricard0

I'd say 2" MAX at the widest part of the base. That measurement will allow for some margin of error.

Without putting a ruler on a burning lamp i'd say you probably have plenty of room for two 55w lamps.

If you're going to use a reflector/s (which is a great idea), you should still have enough room inside of your 9" dimension. My (lame) MIRO reflectors are 4" wide, so you could still fit two in there no problem. Depends on your setup & materials.

Hephaestus

38mm width is pretty much standard for the bulb width, 2g11 base is 48mm in width. Translated - 2" leaves you a 1/8" margin of error...

Boleman

Check out how bright the PLLs are, also notice they are promoting growth a full 10 inches down from the lights.
picture.php
picture.php

TheGreenBastard

Assistant Weekend Trailer Park Superviser
Veteran
I'd say 2" MAX at the widest part of the base. That measurement will allow for some margin of error.

Without putting a ruler on a burning lamp i'd say you probably have plenty of room for two 55w lamps.

If you're going to use a reflector/s (which is a great idea), you should still have enough room inside of your 9" dimension. My (lame) MIRO reflectors are 4" wide, so you could still fit two in there no problem. Depends on your setup & materials.

That's about what I had thought, I was expecting at most 5" total for two lamps, I just wanted to make sure I would still have a few inches to work with for a reflector and ease of access.

BTW, they are going in this:

Hephaestus

Dumb question... Anyone figured out a CFM/watt type measurement for the PLL's? (ie same chart there is for calculating cooling requirements for HPS/MH lighting) - trying to figure out how much flow to build into the cabinet :)

Think Green

Where's a good spot to get pl-l lamps & fixtures? Been looking for a few months @ "your favorite home store" with no luck. :dunno:

Hephaestus

Where's a good spot to get pl-l lamps & fixtures? Been looking for a few months @ "your favorite home store" with no luck. :dunno:
You'll have to go to one of the commercial lighting stores to find them... Though I have seen some of the 9/13w's at home depot and the like...

Other really good place is your local pet stores - most stock the coralife (and other brands) 2x65w hoods (they take 55w bulbs)

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran

Search ebay for 2g11 to get you started. Anyone chasing dual 36w ballasts there is a guy called 6k8 selling a lot of them, 6 pounds and cheap postage.

Think Green

Thanks everyone. Wanna run pl-l for veg instead of cfl. I've heard that the pl-l lamps throw more lumen's per sq.ft.

:woohoo:

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
A 55w pl-l gives you 87.27 lumens/watt

Here is a rundown on CFLs I found.

CFL Lumens/Watt

105w - 65.714
85w - 58.823 (49.412)
65w - 52.308
55w - 65.454
42w - 66.667