What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plasma + LED w/ Mr. Bongjangles

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok pulling up a chair, better late than never

LOL, the thread is on day 1 brotha, you're right on time!

So do you like the plasma bulb... It looks really bright

So far so good man - it's definitely bright and the heat output is crazy low. Without seeing plant results its hard to say more than that. We'll find out together now how it does in this LED combo, as its not exactly how Gavita recommends it be used. Says right on the box "for vegetative phase or HPS supplemental" so like, even if this doesn't go so well, it will be my fault, not theirs.

But if it works, whew, I will be stoked to have pushed the limits of what can be done with virtually no heat :D

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
not exactly how Gavita recommends it be used. Says right on the box "for vegetative phase or HPS supplemental"

NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it could pull through as the only light needed for both cycles!? :(

If you can't flower with this 1300$ beast, im not impressed. Infact I'm upset, that much money could snag a setup with lights for both cycles and spare change, lots of spare change.

Man that changes my whole outlook on that Gavita LEP :/

I hope Whazzup can chime in on this for us. He's the Gavita pro round these parts :)

LEDNewbie

Veteran
VERY fascinated with this grow!!!

Please keep us up to date!!! Just remember, with the lower canopy temps you'll need to run the room temps higher and run your RH lower to help the plants with transpiration. :)

I believe ALLOT of people fail when growing with LED lights because they treat the grow as they would when using HPS lights, not gunna work with cooler running LED's and Plasma's!!

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Actually, they look vg for having just been transplanted, and overall vg.

When the light spectrums are balanced, the primary leaves will reach for the light. Sort of sayin gimme, gimme

Did you look into IndaGro 420, or HO T5s + aquarium bulbs. I thought Indagro was $$$ @ $800, but damn that Plasma better rock your world too

I run HOT5s in one tent and leds in another

I am shocked that ~ 70w of spectrally balanced 1w leds are doing as well as my 324w of HOT5s

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Mr. Bong - nice idea you have going in here. Been eyeing and reading up on plasma for a bit now. Excited to see what you do with it.

Good to see you running a flower thread F.A.M. ;)

dank.Frank

benjuanman

Veteran
Cool thread Mr Bongjangles These plasma lights have intrigued me of late so will be interesting to see how it goes for you mate. Subbed!!

B

Bag

lol second page , thought i was late, it always takes me a few weeks to get to second page of posts. cant wait till the fights saturday !!

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice clean setup!

Thanks man!

jiggaaa niggaaa mrbong up in this!. good luck mr.

LOL, you know we gettin' Gangnam Style up in here :D

NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it could pull through as the only light needed for both cycles!? :(

If you can't flower with this 1300$ beast, im not impressed. Infact I'm upset, that much money could snag a setup with lights for both cycles and spare change, lots of spare change.

Man that changes my whole outlook on that Gavita LEP :/

I hope Whazzup can chime in on this for us. He's the Gavita pro round these parts :)

Gavita says these lights are meant for supplementing HPS or veg every time it comes up - kinda scratching my head about your comments. It's like being mad your luxury car isn't also a boat cause you paid so much, hehe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO_PGNRx_l4

As for the price, for what it is, I have no regrets. Baller full spectrum light with hardly any heat? I'll take that all day. Like any new technology, early adopters pay a premium, and get to enjoy the benefits first.

And yeah I hope Whazzup follows this thread, actually already bothered him with questions via PM yesterday hehe

VERY fascinated with this grow!!!

Please keep us up to date!!! Just remember, with the lower canopy temps you'll need to run the room temps higher and run your RH lower to help the plants with transpiration. :)

I believe ALLOT of people fail when growing with LED lights because they treat the grow as they would when using HPS lights, not gunna work with cooler running LED's and Plasma's!!

Good points, definitely trying to keep that stuff in mind and play it cool with the feeding and stuff.

On the downside of that stuff, this tent is my hobby grow and its temperatures are dictated by the other tents in the room, my primary flower and veg ones. So yeah, I can't really optimize the room temperature and rh levels for the hobby tent. It stays between 70-74 degrees in the main room though and the RH only spikes if its really humid outside.

Thanks for the kind words and advice!

Looking good in there. keep doing what you do ;).

Hey brotha, thanks!

Actually, they look vg for having just been transplanted, and overall vg.

When the light spectrums are balanced, the primary leaves will reach for the light. Sort of sayin gimme, gimme

Did you look into IndaGro 420, or HO T5s + aquarium bulbs. I thought Indagro was $$$ @ $800, but damn that Plasma better rock your world too

I run HOT5s in one tent and leds in another

I am shocked that ~ 70w of spectrally balanced 1w leds are doing as well as my 324w of HOT5s

Neat man, I don't think I've ever grown under a balanced spectrum, always been blue shifted in veg and red in flower.

I didn't check out the IndaGro - hadn't heard of it till just now. Looks pretty cool! If this totally fails, maybe I'll put the plasma in my main flowering tent and try one of those in its place instead.

T5s I use for my clones and rooted clones, never tried them on larger plants.

Hey Mr. Bong - nice idea you have going in here. Been eyeing and reading up on plasma for a bit now. Excited to see what you do with it.

Good to see you running a flower thread F.A.M. ;)

dank.Frank

Hey brotha, thanks for droppin' by and the kind words!

Cool thread Mr Bongjangles These plasma lights have intrigued me of late so will be interesting to see how it goes for you mate. Subbed!!

Word up, thanks for stoppin' in!

lol second page , thought i was late, it always takes me a few weeks to get to second page of posts. cant wait till the fights saturday !!

Yeah, all my awesome homies are fillin' this thread and my head with positivity - you guys rock!

Oh man, the UFC 153 card looks SICK! Here's hoping we don't lose any of these matches over the week due to injury.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Neat man, I don't think I've ever grown under a balanced spectrum, always been blue shifted in veg and red in flower.

I didn't check out the IndaGro - hadn't heard of it till just now. Looks pretty cool! If this totally fails, maybe I'll put the plasma in my main flowering tent and try one of those in its place instead.

T5s I use for my clones and rooted clones, never tried them on larger plants.

By balanced, I meant for the plant. Sats preferring more red than blue.

Here's a couple pics from last HOT5 grow. Unfortunately, I had a nasty aphid infestation that wiped out the majority of the primary leaves. Had it not been for my advanced hydro methods, I could have lost the whole grow

View attachment 186114 View attachment 186115 View attachment 186116

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey again homies - checkin' in on the morning of day 7!

Canopy -
picture.php

D99 -
picture.php

R1 -
picture.php

R2 -
picture.php

Guava -
picture.php

what up bongjangles, clean setup for sure.

PPPPPPrrrrrrrr!!!! Nice to see you abird!

very promising grow !!

Aww, thanks!

Could you not just throw a tiny heater in the tent to bump up the temps to 85'ish??

Nah, I don't want to add any heat to the room the tent is in. Being nearly heat-free is how I'm able to do this run in the first place.

PetFlora said:
By balanced, I meant for the plant. Sats preferring more red than blue.

Here's a couple pics from last HOT5 grow. Unfortunately, I had a nasty aphid infestation that wiped out the majority of the primary leaves. Had it not been for my advanced hydro methods, I could have lost the whole grow

I see. Looks baller for some t5s and a troubled run!

wantaknow

ruger 500
Veteran
very nice!can ya tell us more about the light like price wattage ,squaire ft coverage,/THINGS LIKE THAT ,,opps .they look very happy ,good luck

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
very nice!can ya tell us more about the light like price wattage ,squaire ft coverage,/THINGS LIKE THAT ,,opps .they look very happy ,good luck

Thanks man!

The light is the Gavita LEP, $1200, pulls 300w and covers 3x3-4x4 area.

The LEDs are Kessil H350, can be found for around $275 a piece, pull 84w, and claim a 2-3 feet coverage area.

Tempted to add more LEDs actually.. Maybe 4 of the strip LEDs for the sides or 2 more of the Kessil units to give a more uniform spread of red light.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
What's the maintenance costs like on these types of lighting choices? Very expensive upfront, but if a couple of the leds go out, can you replace them individually? And whats the price of a replacement plasma bulb like?

Latest posts

Latest posts