What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plasma + LED w/ Mr. Bongjangles

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry for being stoned. In post 135, I thought you were showing the plasma in between two HPS lamps?

I think I'm tripping while looking at your little animation in your signature...

No worries hehe :D

Yeah, the plasma light just moved to the 2k tent when I harvested the Plasma/LED plants in this thread, so its not even been in there 2 weeks.

Check out the artist who makes those stereo gifs - http://dainfagerholm.blogspot.com/

rrog

Veteran
That is such a cool site! Thanks for that.

I tell ya, given the huge spectrum coverage of the plasma, with the only little slice missing is the far red, why is plasma thought of as a supplement to MH and HPS?

I'm surprised to hear you say the yield was a little off from (straight?) HPS.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That is such a cool site! Thanks for that.

I tell ya, given the huge spectrum coverage of the plasma, with the only little slice missing is the far red, why is plasma thought of as a supplement to MH and HPS?

I'm surprised to hear you say the yield was a little off from (straight?) HPS.

The 01 version has much less red so they say its just for veg or HPS supplement.

About it being off from HPS. I said in the beginning of the thread that I wanted 315 grams to equal what I expected had I run these plants under HPS. I'm going to get something around that based on the pre-jar weight, but, I also added the 3rd Kessil and the side LEDs at like mid flower. With the additional 164 watts, I expected a bit more than my original goal.

rrog

Veteran
Ah. OK I see the 02 LEP. If you had to guess, would you think the 02 LEP on its own would suffice? I wonder if there any grows with the 02. Maybe Skunkburner?

whazzup

Veteran
We tested 3 leps against 1 600W HPS, per watt it was not good and the yield was lower. But the quality was excellent. Then crops were grown in many different combinations, always against a reference. But this result was expected, as LEP is half as efficient as HPS.

The lack in yield with just LEP did not apply to the umol/gr though, as the full spectrum light is actually more efficient than just the HPS. It doesn't just completely make-up for the lack in efficiency.

The 41.01 spectrum is recommended to be used together with HPS as it has most additional spectrum and less red. There is also much green light in it which becomes only very efficient at high light intensities.

Green Devil

We tested 3 leps against 1 600W HPS, per watt it was not good and the yield was lower. But the quality was excellent. Then crops were grown in many different combinations, always against a reference. But this result was expected, as LEP is half as efficient as HPS.

The lack in yield with just LEP did not apply to the umol/gr though, as the full spectrum light is actually more efficient than just the HPS. It doesn't just completely make-up for the lack in efficiency.

The 41.01 spectrum is recommended to be used together with HPS as it has most additional spectrum and less red. There is also much green light in it which becomes only very efficient at high light intensities.

How much lower?
And how much better was the quality?

whazzup

Veteran
yes. Do the calc: a 600W lamp does more than 1100 umol/s, a LEP 300 umol/s and is behind glass. To make it even we should use 4 leps.

How much better? Well first the buds are much more dense. Trichomes ripen faster and develop earlier. The high is richer than HPS, all in all it is a more complex high. Test smokers preferred the plasma grown weed in 100% of all tests. Some comment that the taste is like a good greenhouse or outdoor weed, and the density is of indoor.

I suggest you get you hands on some and try it for yourself, or ask your peers who grow with LEP what they think tastes/works better.

rrog

Veteran
I so much wanted to avoid the heat of the HPS. I'm going plasma, it's just a matter of what I pair it with. HPS or LED

oneshot

I so much wanted to avoid the heat of the HPS. I'm going plasma, it's just a matter of what I pair it with. HPS or LED

So you want to avoid the heat of a HPS....and then you want to go ahead and add an HPS in addition to the plasma....?

Think about that again.

rrog

Veteran
I'm still looking at Mr. Bongjangles plasma + LED. Using the -02 plasma emmitter (less blue to start with)

Not worried about winning the yield per watt prize. In my state I can't have much anyway. I just want the dank and would like to avoid installing a mini-split. These run very cool.

EllieGrows

Veteran
picture.php

Nice flowers jangles, puff puff

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey everyone, time to bring some closure to this thread. Sorry for the delay - I've been super busy since the holidays with vacations and stuff.

Total yield was 311 grams, only 4 grams off my original goal, but a bit less than I had hoped given the extra lights I added at mid-flower.

All in all, I'm stoked on the results of this little experiment. Definitely a viable option for a quality-oriented personal grow with a low heat footprint.

X

x.scarecrow.x

ok, the buds are noch so big

but i think
"with 2 85w Kessil H350 Magenta LEDs"
its not enuff output, for a good and strong yield
(the flower indicator is to weak)

i think you need more output

maybe 1LEP in the mittle and 2 150wLED on the side
(or more w led)?

but
nice thread... nice projekt... the future is now