What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plasma + LED w/ Mr. Bongjangles

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What's the maintenance costs like on these types of lighting choices? Very expensive upfront, but if a couple of the leds go out, can you replace them individually? And whats the price of a replacement plasma bulb like?

I've heard a Gavita rep mention in one of the videos you can send back the heatsink/bulb part for replacement for 150 euros, so about 200 USD. The bulb is rated at 30,000 hours, but I'd prolly replace it around 10,000, so a little over 2 years. 2 year warranty from Gavita as well, so if it fails before then they will replace it for free.

As for the LEDs, the Kessil unit is something of a proprietary design, using an array of high output LEDs in a small area, a spotlight kinda deal that doesn't lend itself to self-service. 1 year warranty from Kessil at least.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ouch, I'll be sticking with HPS for the foreseeable then.

Yeah for sure, not trying to convince anybody to make any changes here for reasons of practicality - just trying this prohibitively expensive experiment to see what can be done without generating much heat or noise.

Easygrowing

Veteran
Very Nice growing you doing-MR.Bong...had just readed backwards and has to say-UV-A are in our atmosphere and very dangerous about DNA also--it,s UV-C there is been blocked by the layer of ozon..UV-C also cause ozon,then running.Just for get in on right place..
Good luck with your Girls and set-up !

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very cool Mr B!

Does the plasma light itself make any noise (hum/buzz)?

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pulling up a chair for this one.

Stay making your own path brother!

All day mayne! :wave:

Big up to another LEP user.

Thanks for stoppin' in dude, LEP LIFE!

Very Nice growing you doing-MR.Bong...had just readed backwards and has to say-UV-A are in our atmosphere and very dangerous about DNA also--it,s UV-C there is been blocked by the layer of ozon..UV-C also cause ozon,then running.Just for get in on right place..
Good luck with your Girls and set-up !

Ahh I see, thanks for clarifying! Think I'll be investing in some of those glasses for the growroom that let you see proper colors and block all the bad UV.

Very cool Mr B!

Does the plasma light itself make any noise (hum/buzz)?

Fuck yea lynx-dogg up in this, nice to see ya man!

Not heard any noise from the light, but, only run it in a room with fans and stuff. When the lights are on tonight, I'll leave everything else off for a minute and be sure.

EDIT - checked, is silent :D

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey again friends! Here with some day 13 pics.

Flowers beginning to form, really noticing a tight structure to the plants, definitely shorter internodal length than I get from these strains under HPS.

Also making some improvements in the tent. I have an additional Kessil H350 on the way, and have added some LED strip lights to the corners. Will prolly add a 4th Kessil soon as well to even out the light spread.

upgrayedd2.jpg

So yeah, those are 20 watts a piece x4, so added 80 watts. Dunno if they will do much frankly, but I like the idea of light coming from all corners. PLANTS WILL GET CAUGHT UP IN THA.... CROSSFIRE!

Anyways hehe, on with some pics -

Canopy -
picture.php

R2 -
picture.php

picture.php

R1 -
picture.php

Easygrowing

Veteran
Very healthy and goodlooking : ) Have to following those mr.bongjangles...
And yes-skin and eyes : ) take cares of it ..

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If possible, angle to leds ~ 60*s this will increase penetration into leaves/buds below the large leaves on the canopy.

Better still drop them down to ~ 1ft above canopy, then angle

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yo yo yo homies, back with a day 19 update.

Plants looking real bushy, and some training has gone down, so yeah, really turning into a sea of lil nugs in there. So far so good.

Big thing I've noticed in the past couple days - RESIN! These things look trich'd up like their sisters over in the HPS tent that are a week or so ahead, and are putting trichs on the outer leaves faster than I've ever seen. I take it the UV is involved, but whatever it is, I'm feelin' it! (Comments not scientific, different strains in the HPS tent right now.)

Upgrade is done now too - strip LEDs are in the corners as of last week (4x20w) and the 3rd Kessil H350 went in last night. 300w LEP + 252w of LED now make the primary lights total 552, plus 80 watts from the strips and we're rocking 632 watts of lighting. And the outtake air is still completely cool, aww yea :dance013:

OK on with the pictures...

Canopy -
picture.php

R1 -
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
D99 -
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

So how many lights and watts are you at now?

Broke that all down in the first post of the update :D

Think I'll wait to see how this round does before adding a 4th Kessil even though it would even out the led spread.

If possible, angle to leds ~ 60*s this will increase penetration into leaves/buds below the large leaves on the canopy.

Better still drop them down to ~ 1ft above canopy, then angle

That's a neat idea, but I don't really know how I'd do it with the Kessils without mounting clamps or something. As for the distance, think they are about a foot up already, but yeah, they are like spotlights so need a little more distance to allow for good spread.

Latest posts

Latest posts