What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pine Tar Kush: Grow-along and hopefully make some seeds!

ok, im only getting 60% germination, after two tests. thats 60% seedlings above the soil looking healthy.
so i think i may put 15 seeds in each pack in order to balance the less than perfect germ rates.
thats said, the germination rates may improve with time, they tend to increase for the first year.
VG

Those seeds are way fresh thats why you only got 60%. Hold and cure them longer they will be fine. We wamt them but who wants to miss the best cut ever because that seed didnt go.

Whenever i buy newer seed from a breeder especially if i knew when it was produced ill hold it. When chunkypigs put out his stuff he put out a thing about popping those seeds and scuffing to make em pop easier... i actually found the seeds were just too fresh amd if they sat a while longer they all popped 100%. I never scuff seeds and never need to. He figured the cookie seeds were "hard shelled" which i didnt find at all. Outdoor seeds have thick shells and take longer to pop but ive found just about any indoor made seed, if its a germ problem either they are too old or too new typically, his being too new. New seeds are wet and dont have great germ %

If you hang onto them for another 30 to 60 days the germ will probably be +95%

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi OG, i feel ive already cured them as much as i usually do, and would expect 80-90%. This isnt the first time ive made seeds or distributed them, so i have a good amount of comparison.
I read a paper some time back that tested and found the optimum age for seeds to get max germination was between 1 and 2 years.
i agree that seed doesnt need scuffing, hard shelled seeds can take a bit longer to germ. seeds can be killed by being hydrated too quickly so scuffing can introduce a risk.... but really with seeds you have to find a method that works for you and that you're happy with so each to his own.
my germ tests are pretty simple, i plant the seeds in soil and count how many come up - so this is a test for viable seedlings, not germination really. seeds can crack and start to sprout but then abort for some reason.
i havent counted yet but it looked like a decent batch of seeds so giving 15 in a pack instead of 10 shouldnt be too painful - and as the germ rate if anyothing should improve a bit then everyone should be happy!
cheers

VG

hi OG, i feel ive already cured them as much as i usually do, and would expect 80-90%. This isnt the first time ive made seeds or distributed them, so i have a good amount of comparison.
I read a paper some time back that tested and found the optimum age for seeds to get max germination was between 1 and 2 years.
i agree that seed doesnt need scuffing, hard shelled seeds can take a bit longer to germ. seeds can be killed by being hydrated too quickly so scuffing can introduce a risk.... but really with seeds you have to find a method that works for you and that you're happy with so each to his own.
my germ tests are pretty simple, i plant the seeds in soil and count how many come up - so this is a test for viable seedlings, not germination really. seeds can crack and start to sprout but then abort for some reason.
i havent counted yet but it looked like a decent batch of seeds so giving 15 in a pack instead of 10 shouldnt be too painful - and as the germ rate if anyothing should improve a bit then everyone should be happy!
cheers

VG

Hi there, i know this is not new to you, just sharing my observation with some harder to pop stuff. You might have better luck with them soaked in water for 24 hrs first lots of kush varieties start better soaked then into substrate in my experience.

Im sorry if it was not helpful or came accross crass i will save my observations for another thread. Take care

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey man, not at all, always good to get people's opinons. yeah i tend to soak for a few hours and plant in soil. the PTK does take a day or two longer than normal to sprout.

VG

hey man, not at all, always good to get people's opinons. yeah i tend to soak for a few hours and plant in soil. the PTK does take a day or two longer than normal to sprout.

VG

I have found a good portion of american genetics, pop much better given a longer soak, now i let them pop roots before planting and have better success.

I remember ages ago "thedocta" of archives beans were going out too fresh and people had a hard time popping them. He acted like it was a good thing blah blah they are soooooo fresh.... lol fresh beans suck they dont pop well at all so he was just trying to make it sound cool that he was too lazy to dry them. Not relating your situation to him just what i remember with his stuff when it first came out. He is an unsavory charachter who i wouldnt compare anyone here too, i just remember those beans started popping after people dried them. A buddy i know personally asked me for help we just left them in the pack for a few months and tada no problem. The other 2 packs he tried previous were like 50% germ.

Aficanados mendocino produces their seeds outside. Their seeds are notorious for taking lomger up to 2 weeks, super thick hard shells on all of it. They start no problem in a couple days in a cup of water we have found (usually 2 or 3 days to crack normal seeds 24 to 28 hours). Their seeds are totally dry, and garenteed 100% germ, theirs are more difficult from the thick shells. Sometimes its genetic, for them its from outdoor production. Anyway those are some tough nuts to crack for sure. Some beans are just tough and take longer.

When i first started popping OG hybrids i had so many problems. I was dropping seeds into coco as i used to always do. Well the coco used to kill the seeds non stop so i switched to rapid rooters. The OGs and chems started popping well, but slowly. I consulted a friend who has been growing OG and Chem hybrids as lomg as they have been floating around who had also observed the same issue. We can start them in anything but coco. They will start but everytime they get about 1cm tall, stalk and die. Ive never found any other seeds but og and chem failing to start in coco. Ive started pretty much everything under the sun everyway, seems they just dont like it.

Anyway, while i know most of this is not relative to the situation, im trying to point out some of my observations with seeds that ive noticed either others or myself having with certain varieties or breeders work.

Oh, lately people have been saying bogs stuff is getting harder to pop. A freind just dropped 5 packs of sour bubble into cups of water amd not a single one had trouble going. So i think some seeds have certain ways they prefer to start. When i used to grow sativa dom stuff, cup of water killed tons of shit, rockwool plugs too. I went through so many methods and deffinitly noticed some stuff pops a certain way better than others. I still think your seeds are too fresh, all seeds are different and dry at different rates. I think its REALLY awesome of you to make the packs 15 packs if you release now, it gives people a fair chance who want to start now, or a reward for those who wait another 6 months.

Personally if i can manage to get a pack, it will likely hang around a while. I dont have room to start them anytime soon and if i did i would hold them a bit.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey packrat, i'll be sending some to the bay as well, next week hopefully.

cheers

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ive heard back from OP and i will send a batch to seedbay to arrive on tuesday next week.

Breeders Retail has some too

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
$50 for a pack of 15 (i put the extra seeds in because germination is 60% atm, but that is likely to improve over the first year)

VG

Truthful

Seeds do need a little time to cure before planting, the fluid inside around the embryo is still very moist and needs to dry up some. Around 2 to 3 weeks in Altoid's tins or paper bags is how I cure mine getting 100% success sprouting or pretty damn close.

If you had a chance to smoke any of the PTKs you grew how were they? I found alot of variation when I grew mine everything from kushy, skunky, to fruity, and piney phenos.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi Karmic, i store my seeds in a freezer once they are properly dried/cured.
so the PTK seeds have been dried at cool room temp for a couple of months, but not yet frozen. i think that after that they are better off getting in to the hands that may grow them - rather than waiting longer. people often keep seeds a while before growing them

All that ive read about cannabis seeds tells me that stratification (chilling seeds to improve germination) is not something that helps cannabis seeds (though some seeds of other plants require chilling to break dormancy). Please also note that stratification will only be effective when seeds are kept moist so as to allow enzymes and other processes to work - so freezing dried seeds in the freezer is just a way of prolonging their life. dry seeds are dormant.

Ive made and sent many batches of different seeds to the bay etc, and ive done the same this time as i always have before.

VG

Last edited:

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I managed two packs from Breeders Retail. I'm excited to get a few of them going and make some seeds and a couple crosses.

Karmic Farmer

Veteran
Thanks for the info Verdant (I have a few packs coming)! I was never really sure about the chilling effect but it makes sense at certain latitudes so I always just did it.
Thanks for all your doing Brother, you're actually moving forward with the past while everyone else chases the newest strains (not that there's anything wrong with them, but it's nice seeing a mix of some blasts from the past and some crucial preservation).

Kind Regards,
KF

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You are absolutely correct Douglas! that will teach me to post when stoned :redface:

thanks, i will edit that now

VG

Latest posts

Latest posts