What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pine Tar Kush: Grow-along and hopefully make some seeds!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi all, took the plants down today, looks to be a fair few seeds in the buds, i have a potted norway spruce christmas tree in my garden and, comparing the smells, the PTK does smell very similar.
Lean Green is right about some plants smelling a bit more yeasty/doughy (a little like the background smell in a blueberry muffin type Bb) and some smell a little sharper in a tangy sweet kind of way.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm interested in the plant with the longer whit hairs, is it a "D"?
View Image
:tiphat:

hey Lean, yes, that plant was from the D population, and the pine smell was more at the tangy end of the range. i do have a cutting so will grow out again untopped (hopefully)

VG

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I thought it looked like a "D", thanks for checking. Usually those lean to the yeasty side, interesting that it smells like the bright/sharp end of the spectrum.

Nspecta

Veteran
Thank you VerdantGreen & Lean Green for this thread and both continuing the Pine Tar Kush legacy. Definitely a pure line that should be preserved and spread to be sure. I enjoyed the information shared from everyone who posted up in this thread. :)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
VerdantGreen's PTK's are from Lean Green...legit Pine Tar Kush genetics.

Unfortunately Hazeman's PTK are really Xmas bud and not Pine Tar Kush...the Xmas Bud is a quality line but not remotely related to PTK.
tiphat.gif

thanks for the info and thanks for stopping by Nspecta, ive enjoyed growing the PTK, have wanted to try it for some time... some of the unseeded popcorn should be dry by now so going to have a righteous toke on it later - for the first time!!!

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for the info and thanks for stopping by Nspecta, ive enjoyed growing the PTK, have wanted to try it for some time... some of the unseeded popcorn should be dry by now so going to have a righteous toke on it later - for the first time!!!

Awesome! I'll roll up some also. :biggrin:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i'm quite pleasantly surprised by the potency, certainly reasonable, especially as this was just some popcorn dried in a hot shed!

look forward to some in a couple of weeks.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
reading a couple of posts in Chimera's forum and doing some research, it looks like the dominant Terpene in the PTK is Alpha Pinene. This is quite a common terpene but i think it is usually a 'background' terpene and to have Alpha Pinene as the dominant terpene in the PTK is quite a rare thing.
Alpha and beta pinene are the terpenes that let your weed smell earthy and piney but there is a whole lot more to them than one could expect.
The terpenes alpha and beta pinene are the next entries in our Terpene Tour. As you may know, terpenes are one of the most important component of cannabis next to the famous cannabinoids. They not only give weed and other plants their characteristic smell but also have great medicinal benefits, working together in synergy with all the other elements in cannabis. In the case of pinene, it smells like a fresh, earthy pine forest.
NATURAL OCCURRENCE

The unmistakable aroma of pinene can be found in various plants in the world. In fact, alpha pinene is the most common terpene found in nature. Pinene appears in pine needles, conifer trees, orange peels, turpentine, rosemary, basil, dill, and parsley. To further distinguish between the two types of pinene: alpha pinene is responsible for the characteristic smells of pine needles or rosemary, while beta pinene is responsible for scents that are reminiscent of dill, parsley, basil or hops.
https://www.zamnesia.com/blog-terpene-tour-alpha-beta-pinene-n1091

the buds should be naturally dried by now so will have another smoke on them later and see how it tastes

VG

3rd-3yed

Veteran
Sound really good to have a line dominated by the alpha pinede terp, can't wait for the final smoke report, good preservation work Lean & Verdant, Tom & his friend would be proud !

:groupwave:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yep, this was a surprise to me, but they are all 5 girls piney, i would say pine accounts for over three quarters of the smell, with background smells either doughy/muffin or sweet/sharp. i guess a bit like the background smells in a blueberry population (just wothout the berry terps), but pine is way dominant.

thats one hell of a trait! even if PTK is a one-trick pony in that sense then its a great trick... but it seems the potency is decent and the high is relaxing and functional. i wont get any good sensi off this round, just some popcorn but its a nice smoke even after just a week.
come tuesday i'll break open the buds and see how many viable looking seeds are in there.
VG

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
That is indeed a nice trick to have under ones sleeve.

Hopefully your harvest of seeds will be bountiful. Fingers crossed.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for the karma :) it seemed to help

there is a fairly decent quantity of seeds - certainly as many as i could have hoped for.

so i'll be sending some in to the bay and breeders retail in a week or so. i'll let them cure a few more days and do a germ test!

VG :tiphat:

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
thanks for the karma :) it seemed to help

there is a fairly decent quantity of seeds - certainly as many as i could have hoped for.

so i'll be sending some in to the bay and breeders retail in a week or so. i'll let them cure a few more days and do a germ test!

VG :tiphat:

Stoked, looking to get some different plants in my rotation.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
You should hit your Thunk keeper with some when you grow out PTK.

Funny you should mention a thunk cross, I have selfed
her, and got nice plants with that cat piss haze thing.

I still have some of those seeds, at the time cat piss was not something I thought was a valid thing.

I was like, damn, this smell like cat piss, lol.

Thunk x PTK, I'll do it, thanks for the idea.