What's new

PC Case Growers Club

Mr_Micro

rkrone said:
hk423- there hasnt been any recorded data on this forum with 150w hps in pc cases but HOTC said that back in the days of overgrow there were some. and if you read back a few pages i extended a challenge to anyone to document a full grow in a pc case with a 150watter...and the challenge still stands, however you wont get bad results from a 70w hps or even 46w of cfl.

Word :yes:

I personally have never seen a successful 150 watt HPS PC Case grow in this forum, although I do vaguely recall that there were a few people on OG who pulled it off in full server cases using cool tubes and complex ventilation systems. Personally I have a hard time controling the heat from a remote ballasted 70 watt HPS in a giant server case with a glass heat sheild and seperate cooling system for the light.

So running a 70 watt HPS in a large PC case should provide you with a pretty good challenge trying to keep your case cool, but there are plenty of people here who do it successfully so it certainly can be done if you design a good ventilation system. But if this is going to be your first grow I'd say keep it simple and go with CFLs... 80 to 100 watts per square foot should provide you with some very nice buds and shouldn't be too difficult to cool.

But if you are dead set on using a HPS in a small PC case sized grow box than they do make some 50 watt HPS lights with an electronic ballast that won't be too difficult to cool. They're hard as heck to find though so I can't provide you with a link to one, but the company that makes em' is "Lights Of America".

Good luck HK_423 and keep us updated on how your cab building goes!

lets say this is not my first grow, but it is the first micro grow i have set up, if i can get away with it i'm going to be using a 150hps in a 3SqFt floor space, with approx CuFt of 4.5. i'm ready to go with a 100 watt light if needed. but the more light i can use the better. i did the math and my computer case that i have is a lil over 1.2CuFt and i seen somebody rinning a 100w in that space so i think a 150 is possible in my cab wich is 4.5CuFt , but if too hard i will be putting a 100w in it . well looks like i will have 17" of space for plant and light both after simple redesign, so by my calculations 6" for cool tubed bulb and 11"
for plant plus another 6" either side of cool tube

Last edited:
G

well after pondering my math today, i made the switch from 6 26 watters (10800 lumens), over to 3 40watters and 3 26watters.. giving me a total of 198 watts (11580 lumens) at 2700/3000k.. so hopefully this will help boost my yield and not just heat.. temps still cool. but mostly impart to the ambient room temp being around 65 degree's.. much easier to keep a case cool when your surrounding temps are low. picture update tomarrow or monday? we'll see.

G

just look on this cfls
120 w --> 10.000 lum
150 w --> 15.000 lum
200 w --> 20.000 lum

100_0639%20bis.jpg

65-equipoagrolite.jpg

soxx16

thanks rkrone! the dimensions are 18x8x23, something close to that. 2x30w cfl. it works nice for me!

JlMH4LPERT

nice PC grower soxx...
is this your first time growing in this case?

if so, make sure the vents on the side arent leaking too much light that will interfere with your plants sleep (can barely see some poking out through from inside of the case) unless the closet you have it in is kept dark most of the time

other than that i wanna see more pics!

Mr_Micro

Very nice work Soxx! :D

Your plants seem to be doing extremely well for being in a case that big and being lit by only two 30 watt CFLs! Have they all been grown from seed in that case or were they transplanted there from elsewhere? I only ask because some of those seedlings are stretching pretty massively but the older plants seem extremely short and stocky.

Anyhoo, awesome growbox man! I can't wait to see what kind of harvests you'll pull outta that beauty :smoke:

Last edited:
G

mr micro, i was running 46 watts of cfl, and getting excellent vegetative growth, im sure with 60 in there some must have started somewhere else

soxx16

thanks for the input guys! that gets me pumped up.

is this your first time growing in this case?

if so, make sure the vents on the side arent leaking too much light that will interfere with your plants sleep (can barely see some poking out through from inside of the case) unless the closet you have it in is kept dark most of the time

this is my first grow ever! im pumped about it. here is a pic of what it hides behind, and i make sure to keep my closet doors shut all day.

since the lights are on from 11am/11pm i can have the doors open to help with air circulation. i am keeping the doors shut from 11pm/11am to help make sure light wont get in during sleepy sleep.

Your plants seem to be doing extremely well for being in a case that big and being lit by only two 30 watt CFLs! Have they all been grown from seed in that case or were they transplanted there from elsewhere? I only ask because some of those seedlings are stretching pretty massively but the older plants seem extremely short and stocky.

well, the seedlings weren't always in the box. i germ'ed them on a dresser, and kept them there for a few days and they got tall. oh well. a few are going outside tho...

the ones in pots have always been inside the box. i started out with 1x19w cfl and 1x26w cfl (45w). they were under those for about 3 weeks. then i took out the 19w in exchange for another 26w cfl (52w). and then just a couple of days ago i switched to 2x30w. so they've had a few lights.

smoke on! :joint:

G

JlMH4LPERT said:
CFL's can do wonders... 2X26w CFLs in my computer case....

Those CFL's wont cut it when u are ready to flower. Your buds will be fluffy and thin... I'd recommend at least double your wattage.... good luck

lift

JlMH4LPERT

Yeah we were worried about the amt of light, the 2 CFLs (which are "warm" specturm CFLs) but this being a first grow we were fully prepared to work out revisions based on how things go and i have no $$ for new light fixtures :\ plus we already began flowering and now on day 22 of flower, our plant starting showing its hairs at about day 18 and now every shoot has them

G

you want hps for flowering not metal halide which are primarily used for veg and 200 watts in a pc case is really pushing it, you might see bleaching and you will definitely run into heat issues. and think about how much room 1 hid bulb requires let alone 2 hid lights. the average for a pc case is a 70w hps, not too hot and ample light. i am told there were some 150w hps cases on OG but im sure you know that story.

and have you fed them since they started growing, they look a little hungry.

Latest posts

Latest posts