What's new

Panama

OZZ_

Veteran
Wonderful flowers my friend @OZZ_ .... and plenty, you deserve it... what aromas do you get at harvest?

Thank you brother! 🙏🙏🙏

This is my fourth Panama grow this year, with a 5th single plant (red pheno) grow about 3-4 years ago. This year I started with a 9 plant pheno hunt through the Breeders pack, selecting my favorite phenos to continue growing and experimenting with through different growing techniques. Additionally I ran a 27 plant OP seed run.

Out of every plant I’ve grown ALL of them have those wonderful lemon terps, with some plants being more terpy than others. Some of them have a chemical back end I’ve described before as similar to a lemon cleaning product…. Maybe lemon scented furniture polish, whereas others have a more effervescent soda pop backend and this particular plant has more of an Incensy backend…. But all of them have lemon upfront in one way or another.

I was going to wait until these last two reds get a decent dry, cure and smoke test on them to comment on the different effects from the different phenos, mainly because this is the best grow I’ve completed with them…. And also it is my first grow in coco, Autopots, and hydro nutrients/salts (Maxigrow, Maxibloom, and Koolbloom). The other grows where all In organic soil with organic liquid nutrients (Canna bio Vega, & bio Flores).

From what I’ve seen over the last year ACEs descriptions as well as other growers descriptions are all pretty spot on.

They all have the lemon terps in slightly different ways. Similarly they all have a dreamy type effect to the high with some noticeable differences that have been accurately discussed by others.

The Green Phenos most certainly are the most “clear”, the lemony/incense phenos seem to be in the middle with the Red/Pink phenos being more heavy hitting with some narcosis in there towards the end even being noticeable the next day.

I have to say I strongly suspect on my last grow I may have let them go a little too long. Which may have enhanced this narcosis. I just checked my notes and the reds where taken last time at 12 weeks and the greens taken at 13 weeks, but those were the original seed plants I had been keeping as backups until I got done testing them all, although they were very well matured because their clones were all ran first.

This run was again with clones, and as mentioned this red was taken at 10 weeks so I am VERY interested to see if there are any differences in the effect compared to the last reds taken to 12 weeks. Clones taken at 10 weeks vs seed plants taken at 12 weeks, so it’s not an exact apples to apples comparison but still this run is taken with noticeably earlier development.

The comedown was felt still in the lemony/Incensy phenos but to a MUCH - MUCH lesser extent, and in the green phenos was barely noticeable if at all.

The high on the red phenos seem to be more psychedelic and aggressive, dreamy disorientation that’s more hard hitting.

The green phenos have a more mellow flowy relaxed vibe with a more clear headspace. Not as disorienting.

The lemony/Incensy phenos are somewhere in between the two and some of them are quite strong…. I’d say even as hard hitting as some of the reds but with a clearer headspace and much much less comedown.

I feel that I may not be adding anything different to what ACEs and other growers descriptions have been…. But that’s because those descriptions are spot on and IMO pin point accurate.

Admittedly, throughout this whole process I was focusing on the red phenos because I wanted to find a Panama Red keeper mother plant, solely because of the namesake. I’m very happy with Red #2 which is to be considered my final selection, but having gone through the various grows I’m thinking that if I were to do it again I would focus on the greens and the lemony/Incense phenos due to the differences in the high. There’s one Green pheno that stood out to me. Bright THICK stubby white pistils everywhere that matured to a lighter shade of bright Orange than this red pheno. Here are a few pics of her for anyone interested. If you come across a pheno looking like this you might want to keep her backed up until you have properly smoke tested her as she has a very nice dreamy vibey feel good high with less disorientation and near zero comedown…. If that’s your thing of course. Some people like hard hitting strains and if that’s the case grab one with nice pink or red pistils.

I’ll report back after smoke testing these red phenos from this last run taken at 10 weeks to compare the differences between early and late harvested plants. Other than that though it’s been a fun year getting to know this strain inside and out, and with my keeper Red #2 mother plant and around 600 panama seeds in deep storage from my seed run I’ll now conclude my Panama testing and move on to another strain.

Thanks again Dubi and ACE for these great genetics and also for the interesting offerings such as the breeders packs, that make doing these kinds of hunts much easier :dance013:

For anyone interested, here is the green pheno I liked the best during mid flowering (in soil):

8029C35F-1C22-4356-9A20-3B3A30CC84BD.jpeg

73B3BE93-25EB-4BD5-A780-32A1CE16E833.jpeg

A529A623-7B63-4DA2-B287-001F848F9A22.jpeg

DD43580B-6D0A-48CD-A051-10741AF03637.jpeg

…. And a few of the red/pink phenos at the same stage for comparison:

9D519235-AA4D-4A3C-9B47-F6905DCCA35F.jpeg

4FD909AD-24FB-4335-96E0-A92BA9B0D355.jpeg

Last edited:

OZZ_

Veteran
Here is #3 is still in the tent but she’s being a little stubborn on the flush and not really fading or yellowing as fast as #2 did even on plain RO…. But she’s getting there. I’ll probably take her at 11 weeks or maybe give her a few days past that. She’s slower but very beefy.

39570D77-B0A1-4819-8C9F-2BCEA61A1CF2.jpeg

088BE11B-5234-4453-A5B8-C55D74CB0D7A.jpeg
28BFC666-93E7-46E4-9854-EF82EEBE239E.jpeg

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Such beautuful plants. I like all the panama phenos but the red pheno is definitely my least favorite and the highs really not my thing. But my old hippie uncle said the red phenos exactly what panama red looked and felt like back in the 70's. I could swear that the green phenos are as close as you can get to what we used to get in the 90's in Texas. Its a fascinating world to say the least. Its nice to have a strain with some variety like that. If you like the green pheno I definitely recommend giving the Honduras x Panama a whirl. That goddess is nice yielding with the lemony-est of lemon smells you can imagine
That's beautiful to hear @RobFromTX It's a pleasure to read that the red phenos of our Panama bring nice memories about the old Panama Red to your hippie uncle ;)
Growers and smokers that prefer very strong, more intoxicating body effects and best bag appeal will chose the red phenos of our Panama over the others, while those wanting to experience the clearest, most motivating uplifting effects with lesser ceiling and clean comedown will choose the green expressions most of the times, especially during the day and for activities. In fact, the green, wilder longer flowering Panama phenos provide a clean, happy, funny effect that reminds me a lot the effects of the old, super clean and laugh your ass Mexican sativas, probably closer to Mex imports you used to get there.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
First of all :respect: @OZZ_ it's very touching to feel all for your efforts and motivation to explore so well and deep our Panama line 😍 very few growers have the diligence to take a line, explore it in all its different forms, select the best and master its cultivation like you did, bravo! I know how much resources, time and efforts are involved to make it happen, hope the results pay off, you really deserve it.

Thanks also for getting back to us sharing your experience and results, your comments are completely accurate until last detail, and your pics and plants simply stunning. Your Panama grow diaries are a solid proof of the quality and potential of this strain. Panama is already 20 years old and still in excellent shape, masterfully bred by charlie garcia, and preserved, refined (until certain point, 'fire' was already 'there') by me. I feel very nostalgic thinking in all the people, moments, efforts, resources, sacrifices, that in one or other way helped to the development and spreading of this strain.

Panama is still unbeatable and overall our best classic line, those looking for the next new thing, latest release and ignoring the potential of older lines like this one must re evaluate their criteria. And if Panama is a master piece, Panama Goddess F10 parental plant represents the zenit on the refinement of this strain, with the perfect balance of traits found in the line: just slightly red-pinkish, but with the best resins and strongest potency (typical of the red phenos), excellent flower/leaf ratio, massive yields, really huge bracts and trichomes, amazingly refined vanilla, lemony, musky, sweet floral and incensey terpene profile, with a sativa effect that is out of this world: super clean, expansive-spacious yet dreamy, floaty, happy-silly, really potent, trippy, ceiling-less and without the intoxicating, numbing, sedative or narcotic side of the heaviest red expressions, growers that have experienced Panama Goddess offspring and hybrids know what i'm talking about.... and for quality and breeding potential i rate Panma Goddess higher than C5, HPH, Nevil's Haze, etc ... to put a few examples with solid 'contenders'.

OZZ_

Veteran
First of all :respect: @OZZ_ it's very touching to feel all for your efforts and motivation to explore so well and deep our Panama line 😍 very few growers have the diligence to take a line, explore it in all its different forms, select the best and master its cultivation like you did, bravo! I know how much resources, time and efforts are involved to make it happen, hope the results pay off, you really deserve it.

Thanks also for getting back to us sharing your experience and results, your comments are completely accurate until last detail, and your pics and plants simply stunning. Your Panama grow diaries are a solid proof of the quality and potential of this strain. Panama is already 20 years old and still in excellent shape, masterfully bred by charlie garcia, and preserved, refined (until certain point, 'fire' was already 'there') by me. I feel very nostalgic thinking in all the people, moments, efforts, resources, sacrifices, that in one or other way helped to the development and spreading of this strain.

Panama is still unbeatable and overall our best classic line, those looking for the next new thing, latest release and ignoring the potential of older lines like this one must re evaluate their criteria. And if Panama is a master piece, Panama Goddess F10 parental plant represents the zenit on the refinement of this strain, with the perfect balance of traits found in the line: just slightly red-pinkish, but with the best resins and strongest potency (typical of the red phenos), excellent flower/leaf ratio, massive yields, really huge bracts and trichomes, amazingly refined vanilla, lemony, musky, sweet floral and incensey terpene profile, with a sativa effect that is out of this world: super clean, expansive-spacious yet dreamy, floaty, happy-silly, really potent, trippy, ceiling-less and without the intoxicating, numbing, sedative or narcotic side of the heaviest red expressions, growers that have experienced Panama Goddess offspring and hybrids know what i'm talking about.... and for quality and breeding potential i rate Panma Goddess higher than C5, HPH, Nevil's Haze, etc ... to put a few examples with solid 'contenders'.

Thanks again Dubi for all the kind words. It’s been a fun ride with her! Red #2 is currently curing in the jars, when burping the jars I have to say she emits a strong musky scent into the air, almost like a damp old basement or something…. not as lemony as other phenos until you directly handle the buds then you get nuances of the lemon, but #3 is more lemony as far as terpines go and there where other phenos that we’re more lemony still.

…. But #2 is interesting to me as she has a great quality to her buds, she has these swollen bracts that are beautiful and her overall frost which is much heavier than others and she has a strong effect.

Brightly green buds of good density, with firey orange pistils upon maturity and completely coated in trichomes giving a silver sheen to the buds when they are viewed from side to side. She might have the heaviest trichome production out of any of the panama plants I’ve seen so I had to keep her around as I continued to fine tune my growing process, which I know consider complete. I’ll be a keeping a mother of red #2 and as mentioned I have a lot of seeds from my seed run to explore at a later date.

From here on out it’s time to explore new genetics. I have a hybrid run coming up next but then I’ll be running some more satties again and for sure your offerings will be included.

The Oaxacan x panama plant I have needs another run because I want to see what she will do in these autopots, she is a lemon terp BOMB. Also extremely frosty but the loveliest lemon soda pop terpines on that one. Much lighter happier effects too.

Thanks again! :tiphat:

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks @OZZ i love those long romances through thecuring until really find 'the one/s' :smoke: Glad you are enjoying as well and as much with the Oaxaca x Panama F1.
In my experience the fresh lemony terps are very loud from the start and in early curing, while the more complex musky terpenes appear in a more defined way later through proper curing process.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Dear friends, we have found 2 Panama fem Breeders Packs in our preservation fridge:

these are the very last Panama Breeders Packs available and we won't be offering any Breeders Packs (from Panama or any other strain) in 2023.

GrandpaMillenial

Hello dubi,

Earlier this year I acquired some of your feminized panama seeds from a local vendor, the seed cellar.

I sprouted two out of five seeds, at first was a little concerned that there might have been a mix up.

The first plant, my buddy nicknamed “strawberry” due to the immediate broad leaf structure.

133353C2-E53F-4452-A151-E1AC96E2D4C2.jpeg

The second plant we named “strechy” because the leaves, they are growing almost vertical.

8AE991EE-1BB1-4452-9C8C-10E9D233DF63.jpeg

we ended up making some clones for ourselves and we put the mother plants under some cheap old blurple lights, in an attempt to pollen chuck with a male DJ Short Flo.

I gotta say, these girls are actually outperforming my expectations given the lights we are using.

8E8C1B6B-E7DF-47AB-A357-F832A3AF3A66.jpeg

A5354EF0-8655-48EB-B060-9C5795E27097.jpeg

I cant wait to see what they do under my newer LED lights.

PanchoVerde

These were sprouted 27 days ago, outdoors, native soil and rainwater.

Have not grown for a long time, have not grown Panama since I lost a nice green pheno I had, maybe 8 years ago or more. That was the one that everyone wanted. She came from a pack from 2008 or 2009 I think. One on the left smells like that one did (I think). Fingers crossed. When it is possible I am going to get a breeder's pack of Panama and grow it out at one time.

Panama 716.jpg

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome GrandpaMillenial :) The retailer you mention is a legit ACE Seeds distributor in US.
As you have experienced, Panama can start from seed with quite broad leaves to later show a pure sativa development in flowering.
Glad you are pleased with their development, and i'm sure a cross between Panama and Flo would turn out great. I pointed out many years ago that crossing our sativas with DJ Shorts blue lines will produce outstanding results, Flo is probably DJ's line i would probably be more interested to work with. Seems Flo can produce infertile males so i'm not sure whether this is the reason your plants are not pollinated.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi PanchoVerde your 2 Panama seelings look like clones! :) Gladto hear you have had many years ago a previous 'romantic relationship' with our Panama genetics ;)
Panama strain has been greatly improved since you got that pack, it's much more consistent now. Hope you find again what you are looking for in this line, or new different expressions of your taste.

And if you want Panama Breeders Pack better get it now because there's only 1 pack left and it won't make a come back:

Last edited:

GrandpaMillenial

Welcome GrandpaMillenial :) The retailer you mention is a legit ACE Seeds distributor in US.
As you have experienced, Panama can start from seed with quite broad leaves to later show a pure sativa development in flowering.
Glad you are pleased with their development, and i'm sure a cross between Panama and Flo would turn out great. I pointed out many years ago that crossing our sativas with DJ Shorts blue lines will produce outstanding results, Flo is probably DJ's line i would probably be more interested to work with. Seems Flo can produce infertile males so i'm not sure whether this is the reason your plants are not pollinated.

Dubi,

Thank you for your response! I was initially concerned at the first couple of sets of leaves. I thought maybe someone might have gotten their hands on the package and swapped out seeds or something, but these girls are shaping up well. I think I will order directly from your site for my next order.

And yes you are correct, Flo is one of DJ Shorts more well known strains. Unfortunately I have a male plant producing zero pollen. I might end up revegging my garden and reversing my flo girl.

island_organics

Panama from about five years ago. One of my favourite varieties… she ticks every box.

Attachments

• D8717262-6080-48E5-AC4B-CD1B39BBEB41.jpeg
    D8717262-6080-48E5-AC4B-CD1B39BBEB41.jpeg
    391.7 KB · Views: 226
  • ED7E85E8-89B0-49AF-96CD-764D30807088.jpeg
    ED7E85E8-89B0-49AF-96CD-764D30807088.jpeg
    279.1 KB · Views: 172
  • B1BFBE4A-BFC3-48DB-92A2-23640DECC1CC.jpeg
    B1BFBE4A-BFC3-48DB-92A2-23640DECC1CC.jpeg
    332.8 KB · Views: 186
  • C8650DB5-8BC7-4575-8A6D-2E1405358FBA.jpeg
    C8650DB5-8BC7-4575-8A6D-2E1405358FBA.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 189
  • F8C08CCA-C03A-4CD1-87A6-9A53E9DBAC9E.jpeg
    F8C08CCA-C03A-4CD1-87A6-9A53E9DBAC9E.jpeg
    290.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 1DBBF200-C47B-4026-9A4E-B136EEECCA67.jpeg
    1DBBF200-C47B-4026-9A4E-B136EEECCA67.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 38F1FD03-631C-484E-A165-397881B0207F.jpeg
    38F1FD03-631C-484E-A165-397881B0207F.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 196
  • 295A9BA1-F5A2-4080-8A1E-45402ED940A5.jpeg
    295A9BA1-F5A2-4080-8A1E-45402ED940A5.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 203
  • 89A49C02-1A1B-4C25-AF9F-6A3BA150EC94.jpeg
    89A49C02-1A1B-4C25-AF9F-6A3BA150EC94.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 239
  • 97D7A3C7-B00E-4ABF-B107-A97F8E9F2C30.jpeg
    97D7A3C7-B00E-4ABF-B107-A97F8E9F2C30.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 251

welldone

Panama red #2 came down today at exactly ten weeks. :biggrin:

Here she is before chop, she flushed out perfectly imo and faded nicely. Now to get her properly dried and cured! Very happy with this third run in the Autopots and coco, it turned out beautifully.

View attachment 18715291
View attachment 18715292 View attachment 18715293

…… and one during wet trim:

View attachment 18715294

….. and a few outside in natural lighting:

View attachment 18715295

View attachment 18715296

View attachment 18715297
:thank you::respect: