What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Panama

Caranx

Bad timing and going too hard on the bdsm made one of the main branches pop off on the day she was suppposed to be flipped to flower 😂

Any experienced grower here who can give me a hint on how long something like this takes to heal enough for the plant to be ready for flower again? This happend yesterday and she is doing fine today!

Attachments

• 20220803_150938.jpg
    20220803_150938.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 83
  • 20220803_151232.jpg
    20220803_151232.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 74

island_organics

Bad timing and going too hard on the bdsm made one of the main branches pop off on the day she was suppposed to be flipped to flower 😂

Any experienced grower here who can give me a hint on how long something like this takes to heal enough for the plant to be ready for flower again? This happend yesterday and she is doing fine today!
that will heal very quickly, i would tape it up to seal the wound. Give it a day or two and you can flip to bloom with no worries.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thank you. Im thinking of switching to ace seeds regular. more genetic variation. I can see that much

in case of Panama fem vs Panama regular, both are 1:1 pairings. The fem version is Panama Red F6 S1 x Panama Goddess F10 (reversed).
Panama regular version is Panama Goddess F10 x Panama green old F6 line.

Regarding Panama green vs Panama Red vs Panama Goddess: even after 20 years breeding with Panama strain up to F12 generations, i never intentionally bred the line towards a single expression, its genepool has too much to offer to do that, and different heads will appreciate different things from the line, we could just produce a consistent Panama Red expression and sell it as Panama Red (and not simply as Panama) and sell much more, but that would be plain marketing and would kill the interesting diversity line still has to offer after so many years and generations of breeding.

Last edited:

RobFromTX

in case of Panama fem vs Panama regular, both are 1:1 pairings. The fem version is Panama Red F6 S1 x Panama Goddess F10 (reversed).

Regarding Panama green vs Panama Red vs Panama Goddess: even after 20 years breeding with Panama strain up to F12 generations, i never intentionally bred the line towards a single expression, its genepool has too much to offer to do that, and different heads will appreciate different things from the line, we could just produce a consistent Panama Red expression and sell it as Panama Red (and not simply as Panama) and sell much more, but that would be plain marketing and would kill the interesting diversity line still has to offer after so many years and generations of breeding.
Not only would it kill the diversity but who doesn't like to be surprised by some variation. I like growing these strains out and watching how different each plant grows. Different smells, different growth patterns. Although the red phenos my least favorite to smoke its definitely the most beautiful variation. Dubi do you have any plans to reproduce the panama x tikal? It sounds like such a stellar cross. Im sorry i missed out on that one

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
yes friend, we released a Tikal x Panama limited edition not long ago, already sold out and discontinued, it was interesting in the way you comment, lots of variability, good to find transgressive phenos, different to what would you find in straight Panama or Tikal.

Old Fogey

Welcome GrandpaMillenial :) The retailer you mention is a legit ACE Seeds distributor in US.
As you have experienced, Panama can start from seed with quite broad leaves to later show a pure sativa development in flowering.
Glad you are pleased with their development, and i'm sure a cross between Panama and Flo would turn out great. I pointed out many years ago that crossing our sativas with DJ Shorts blue lines will produce outstanding results, Flo is probably DJ's line i would probably be more interested to work with. Seems Flo can produce infertile males so i'm not sure whether this is the reason your plants are not pollinated.
This is the F2 of my DJ Short Blueberry (F5 purchased 2013 indica pheno) x Malawi (purchased 2013, a light green/yellow plant of great vigor, very short internodes and extremely branchy). And also pics of the F2 fem's brother (3 weeks or more after I had switched off the light in its tent).

The female began re-flowering in week 6 of flip and continued until the end of week 10. Main chop was at 11 weeks but I'm still finishing her off at day 84.

The buds absolutely reek and not in a fruity way. A single fresh bud will stink out my whole house if I remove it from the grow room and the carbon scrubber.

The potency is good, the high is very nice with a touch of trippiness. After smoking all day you enter a very enjoyable narco state when drifting off to sleep at night.

I have another line of this cross made with a sister F1 as mother. And I've made F3's with the plants below but the extreme skunk-like odor of this F2 might make the cross too risky for clandestine growing.

Attachments

• 20220705_131033.jpg
    20220705_131033.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 132
  • 20220705_130936.jpg
    20220705_130936.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 135
  • 20220709_172635.jpg
    20220709_172635.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 137
  • 20220709_172923.jpg
    20220709_172923.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 139
  • 20220721_131735.jpg
    20220721_131735.jpg
    960.3 KB · Views: 141

Sincera

Hi Dubi, I scored one of the two fem Panama breeders packs you listed. I want to explore the green pheno fem pairing with panama godess first. I wanted advice on how to best preserve these parings for as long as possible before I outcross, with the side goal of having something more homozygous to breed with over a long enough period of time. Do you have any advice other than what I had in my head.

From the 5 fem seeds of the green phenoXpanama goddess, make at least two lines from different sisters (reversing at least 2) and keep doing 1:1 pairings once every 5-8 years to both lines for about 4-5 generations then bring the lines togher? I could also keep a few packs of panama regs in the freezer and find some males to introduce some variation after so many generations have passed. Obviously I can also introduce other fem pairings/lines offered in the kit, but wanted to keep this particular pairing pure for as long as possible. Appreciate any advice, mostly just don't want to do anything I can't undo with a kit that will not be reproduced.

Last edited:

airplane

sorry came late : have two: Panama and then Malwai x Panama -- any thing special ab out these strains besides the light cycle: have heard that 12/12 from seed then 11/13 flower ? any suggestions ?

island_organics

sorry came late : have two: Panama and then Malwai x Panama -- any thing special ab out these strains besides the light cycle: have heard that 12/12 from seed then 11/13 flower ? any suggestions ?
Both varieties are easy to manage, pure sativa's that are'nt demanding in cultivation. You can start them on 18~6 photoperiod if you want, or 12~12 only if you are trying to control their size and finished height. If you need to keep their size on the smaller side you can start them on 11~13. Both can take good amounts of nutrition too.

Boss Cocky

Hi dubi,

I ran a pack of Panama regular years ago (my first Ace cultivar) I found a number of great plants, but one in particular was phenomenal. The calexes were huge and hung together loosely like a bunch of grapes. Super frosty both in buds and leaves, with a very high flower to leaf ratio. Flavours/scents were lemon fizzy fruits lollies, incense and pine.

I think the pack was dated 2015. Was the breeding then the same as the current breeding as you outlined here?

Is there a better chance of finding the pheno I described in regular or feminized?

Thanks
BC

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks for revisiting with us your outdoor Panama grow from a few years ago @island_organics :love:

Glad to hear you are growing Panama and Malawi x Panama airplane As island organics correctly pointed out, both are very vigorous sativas but highly adapted to indoor growing and easy to grow. You can start them at 18/6 and switch to flowering with classic 12/12 flowering photoperiod, and decrease 1 hour of light (11/13) at the end of flowering.

Looking good :) Synthracer Panama x Purple Satellite sounds like something else!

Hi Boss Cocky you are almost describing Panama Goddess! Panama regular releases in 2015 were more diverse and contained seeds from many different females. Latest Panama releases (regular and fem) are based mostly on Panama Goddess which has (and easily passes to her offspring) all the traits you comment, so it's easier to find such phenos nowadays in current stocks than back then. Panama fem seeds are now always direct Panama Goddess offspring.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Dubi, I scored one of the two fem Panama breeders packs you listed. I want to explore the green pheno fem pairing with panama godess first. I wanted advice on how to best preserve these parings for as long as possible before I outcross, with the side goal of having something more homozygous to breed with over a long enough period of time. Do you have any advice other than what I had in my head.

From the 5 fem seeds of the green phenoXpanama goddess, make at least two lines from different sisters (reversing at least 2) and keep doing 1:1 pairings once every 5-8 years to both lines for about 4-5 generations then bring the lines togher? I could also keep a few packs of panama regs in the freezer and find some males to introduce some variation after so many generations have passed. Obviously I can also introduce other fem pairings/lines offered in the kit, but wanted to keep this particular pairing pure for as long as possible. Appreciate any advice, mostly just don't want to do anything I can't undo with a kit that will not be reproduced.

Welcome to ICMag Sincera :) and thanks for supporting our work!
Glad you got one of the last Panama Breeders Packs before it was sold out. (y) Best way to preserve a line overtime is to do both: keep clones of the best parental plants of different generations, and keep a well stored family of seeds from many different parental plants and generations of the line, although only 1 will be closer to your ideal (goal or favorite expression), and for that you will need to grow first the seeds and learn what to do you like the most from the line to make sure your don't lose those traits.

Panama has never been heavily inbred towards one pheno or other, and although it has a long breeding story of many generations, it was reproduced most of the times using many different parental plants from different generations and from different phenos, many times also mating divergent plants, that's why Panama line is still quite heterozygous.

The easiest way to make Panama line more homozygous would be to self your chosen female, then outcross the more inbred and homozygous S1 generation to make your hybrids. Other option is to inbred the line always choosing parental plants as similar as possible to each other, eventually you will come out with a much more uniform, homozygous line, but at the expenses of losing vigor and yield through the inbreeding process.

A good way to restore vigor in a line (other than outcrossing) is to match divergent parental plants separated a few generations from each other.