What's new

Nomaad OD:2010

nomaad

Veteran
I'm just talking about a very low impact transplant technique. I have some strains that don;t need any additional stress and the unpotting method I'm using now solves those issues. But thanks for the help... always appreciated.

lol, I feel more and more disappointed in what I just plugged today when I hear about ur guys' tall and matured plants you have ready.... Most of my ladies were only 2 feet tall today, and were in 3 gals... Do you think I have any shot with only 2 footers in 100gals this summer? Everyones OD looks and sounds great! Happy planting! :) maad: are you going to be doing any of ur cough in the 300gal full summer? Do you know what the expected yield will be?

nomaad

Veteran
i don;t know what your expectations are for your plants, but i think you can do very well with what you've got going on. I would not try full season cough unless you have a greenhouse. its very cold-sensitive and its going to go till almost december. if the conditions are right, its a yielder.

Demian

Veteran
Saludos amigo !

y las fotos ? porque no entiendo nada y hablan mucho aqui !

saludos desde el sur ...

nomaad

Veteran
Demian: Gracias por pasar... en un par de dias mas, cuando tengo las embras sembradas el las macetas finales, habra fotos. El gran estreno...

HL: Went well. Things are coming along.

P

planty

I was cutting the smartpots off, but this method is even less stressful, unless you cut the other side from the seam as well... then it just falls off... but with this method, you end up with an unpotted plant on a pedestal... you can just slide something under it to move it. very low stress. I have a couple of strains that just don't like to be moved, especially while coming out of cold shock. And some root balls were falling apart on me when I was cutting them off... i never wound up with a sideways plant, disintegrating root ball, like I did when cutting pots off. very slick. also... when I lifted the plant straight off the bottom of the smartie, seemed like less damage to any roots that might have grown thru the bottom of the pot han I got cutting the side seam open and pulling the pot off.

I have 2 strains that are really sensitive and it seemed this method caused a lot less stress.

Also...less garbage is always good. a sliced open smartie may not be totally worthless, but its on its way.

i knew i read that you posted that your root balls were falling apart...tryin to make me seem like i was just reading things...i knew i wasn't...maybe you mean your root balls were falling apart last year, but i dont think you vegged in 10 gallon pots in a gh last year ..did you?

like i posted before, the 5s and 10s my plants came out of were totally engulfed in roots. they had roots shooting out the side, out the bottom, the root system was ore of a root cake than a root ball holding all that soil together. i try to give them about 3 weeks inbetween transplants to really establish a nice root ball..maybe those ones that fell apart you were trying to transplant before they really got set up in their new root system, just like how you were saying you were moving those 10s around and probably should have waited ..?

Also..why would you just make 1 cut in to the pot and try to peel it away? that is a failure waiting to happen...obviously making 2 cuts from top to bottom then peeling each side away ..you just have to step on one of the flaps and pick the root ball up to separate the bottom from the root system and plug away...that's how i did mine..good luck with the big push. looking forward to seeing a hedge of dream..I had my helper make 4 slits in to the pot so we could really peel it away nicely ;)

on another note, i bet that nl5/haze would do real well hit with some x18 pollen..

nomaad

Veteran
"Well if you're talking about your 10 gallon root balls falling apart," -planty the all-knowing

LOL. (each time a little bit harder)... again. i wasn't. Haven't touched 10 gallon pots yet. But I will be using the technique I describe when I get to them. Works great. Precisely what I was looking for.

Again, I don't want to waste pots. I understand its meaningless to you, but keeping what I waste and how I conserve in balance is as important to me than how big my plants are. Perhaps your affected rastafarian ideals don't include conservation of resources and mitigation of footprint, but my own dogma-less belief structure does.

Since you seem unable to let this go, I'll explain what happened. I messed up the root balls a bit on two much smaller plants (deep purple) that had not grown into their 5's yet. The new technique of peeling down evenly works perfectly (even when the rootball is not completely filling the smart pot), saves the pot for the next round and accomplishes exactly what I want it to do. This technique, that we'll be using throughout my transplant process, was come to after doing 6x5 gallons in a number of different ways. Anything involving 10 gallon pots (or, lol, Blue Dream) is based on an erroneous assumption on your part.

Now that I have taken the time to answer your question again, more clearly, can we put it to rest? You like to do things one way. It works for you. I don't like how wasteful it is, so I came up with another method that works just as well and saves the pot. It works for me. What possible reason could you have for pulling an "i knew i was right about..." 24 hours later about a matter so trivial as how i unpot my smarties?! (Normally, I would let you answer that question silently to yourself, but I'm wondering now if you are, at all, self-aware... so...)

I have never met anybody (or maybe not since i stopped hanging out with kids) who wastes so much time with their pulsing ego. You are a smart guy with something to contribute, but you waste a LOT of time with things driven by pure ego. You literally degrade the quality of my experience here. The best thing about ICM prior to your arrival was the lack of this kind of BS. Want egos? ***Farmer.com Want kids? RIU. Want positivity, humility and an openhearted exchange of ideas? That's what ICM is for. Please live up to this standard, or at least, refrain from polluting my thread with non-constructive posts.

P

planty

if you can't see that i was honestly 100% confused by your posts then i am sorry for you. i was under the impression you hadn't touched any 10s, then i read root balls were falling apart...and then i read you didn't even trans plant any of those ...then i read that you had this awesome technique repotting them...i dont give a fuck about how you unpot your pants..pull em off and put em over your head for all i care...just trying to keep up with ya is all. thanks for explaining..that uncool seed co deep purple shit has a weak root system?? im not surprised in the least...

you also have never met me and never will so quit acting like you know me, who i am, what i do and what im capable of

try comb

you also have never met me and never will so quit acting like you know me, who i am, what i do and what im capable of

if you didn't make it so apparent that you are young and full of yourself maybe ppl wouldn't "act" like they know you.....that isn't the case though......you define yourself and ppl get to know who you are.....a big headed young guy that wont listen to anyone except selected mentors.

no one questioned what you are capable of. I think you are by far the most concerned. perhaps, consider practicing what your preach and you wont come off as such a prick. :tiphat:

nomaad

Veteran
Your "trying to keep up with me" has proven out over months to be a waste of time.

You are full of a kind of negativity ("that uncool seed co deep purple shit has a weak root system?? im not surprised in the least...") that IS NOT APPRECIATED by me. I am wide open to constructive criticism. But you are simply a shit-talker. Rarely does a day go by that you don't talk some smack. Couldn't even keep from doing it in a post where you try to say how positive and helpful you are trying to be. LOL.

I do not know you, who you are or what you are capable of (not even sure what that last bit means.) But, you represent yourself here through your words and attitudes... Perhaps your writing here doesn't represent you aptly... then its on you to work on it till it does.

Instead of building your foundation on a holy mountain, try building it on humility.

nomaad

Veteran
whoah now, try comb. I appreciate that you are trying to back me up, my friend. you are not alone in your opinion. but there is no need for name-calling.

Last edited:

try comb

when i come into your thread and his lookin for some sweet updates and some cool conversation. only to find it constantly being spoiled for me, by one particular individual. i get angry. i suppose it is name calling.....but only in hopes for change. if i was acting like a prick all the time. i sure hope someone would make me aware of it.

are you planting the full season today or workin on those beds?

nomaad

Veteran
i hear ya. hopefully this will be the last exchange of the sort. total waste of time.

full season/beds: maybe a little of both?

C

CityOfTrees530

holly..... were the good vibes at people this is cannabis talk, i've never known it to be so childish.

On the other note how is the planting going nomaad. I'm curious on how the plant will grow being left in the sp and planted into something bigger.

I'm with ya on the conserving smarties.. I was wondering today when I was looking at my 7 gals that haven't reached the smarty walls yet, how I would transplant without cutting. I was thinking of cutting and restitching to be safe for plants and conservative at the same time... Anyone do this? Also, I know someone told me there were some politics about cali connection gear... While I'm sure alot of poeple have good reason for not using the gear, I was wondering if we could have a small discussion on obsoulies alien tech gear.. I received a awesome pheno of alien kush from a friend who said it was amazing... I was going to throw a few od... Any feedback (no politics please)

nomaad

Veteran
LB530:... its difficult to know exactly when your smarties have reached capacity... IME the roots go outward but never swirl around and turn back on themselves in a smartpot...at least one that is still fully healthy. I will go out and look at a "rootbound" plant in a smarty in a minute and tell you want i see. The method i describe works really well regardless of whether the pot is completely filled out. Try it on one plant.... see if you like it. In fact, I will be using this method to zip down the smartpot and look at its roots in detail, then shimmie the bag right back up.

I thought about sweing the smarties too, but nobody close sews, so I'd have to go out of house...find seamstress... negotiate rate, etc... hassle.

Re: Cali Connection gear. Start a thread in Strains and Hybrids section or find one that already exists. Nothing personal, but I don't want it here. And there is sure to be some shit talking from having it brought up. Thanks.

CoT: I have not decided whether to try that on a big pot or just a small one... probably the latter. I'm less than 50-50 on the concept... so risking a bigass plant seems silly.

Last edited:

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Nomaad - Great grow and great thread! When I used the Smarties back in the day, I saved mine after transplanting by taking a spatula and running it down the sides to break the roots free of the walls before sliding the ball outta the pot. I damaged the exterior roots a little that were poking thru but kept the ball in tact and the pots in tact. Never saw any effects of the few root fingers being damaged. Dont know your sizes but I did this for pots up to 10g. Hope it helps and again much respect.

nomaad

Veteran
Thanks for the input, RM. How long have smartpots been around? i'm still considering dumping the 5's and 10's... for a number of reasons. the unpotting issue has been firgured out, but I still don;t like that the 5's and 10's cannot be moved without shifting all the dirt in the pots for the first couple of weeks after transplant into them. That was real inconveneient for me a couple of months ago. Not such a biggie in the 5's, but a nightmare in the 10's. Might just put the 10 gallon smarts in to a 15 gallon plastic pot...cool enough that time of year.

Not sure you saw the post with my method... might have gotten lost in the argument that ensued... so I will post again. I simply put the pot atop a cylindrical object that is just narrower than its own circumference. Fold down the top edge and then pull straight down. Four hands are better than two. Works like a charm.

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Makes perfect sense and I would try to do the same after I went down the sides with the spatula. Girlfriends come in real handy for that part! The Smartpots started showing up a few years ago at my Hydro store and my guy shot me a bunch for cheap to test out. I have never looked back. I use the 5gallon ones for my indoor and they are just great!

They come apart easily which avoids the problem you are dealing with all together. The thing I want you to see if the newer ones in larger sizes. I am gonna try a few next year outdoors. You can even add two or three together for larger pots! Check out the potato towers.

http://www.canby.com/benwalker/GardenTowers.htm#_BEN�S_POTATO_TOWER�_-%2025�

Good luck with the finish and your grow is just ridiculous!

Latest posts

Latest posts