What's new

Nomaad OD:2010

nomaad

Veteran
ill hand it to you growing outdoor in norcal is hard as hell with no sun. is that bd the same cut as oaksterdams or is it better with all the rave im wanting one now.

i have no idea if its the same cut. over the last year, I have collected three different Blue Dream cuts. one, I call the Clueberry and it finishes 7-10 days earlier than the standard Blue Dream. So far, we have come to see that it has worse cold and mite tolerance in the same conditions as what I call Blue Dream. I also have Butte's cut, but I cannot say anything about it till I have a fresh round of cuts, all taken at the same time and kept in the same conditions. Tom Hill is running mostly my Blue Dream cut and its killing it for him so far... running 3x circles around everything else. With the exception of the grow-snobs who don't acknowledge the positive attributes of the dream because its is also a good strain for beginners, its widely held as fine herb when grown well. and contrary to the experience of some, highly in demand. Its my feeling that well grown Blue Dream will be welcomed by the patients come Fall.

just a thought i wonder if this worst spring in 100 years thing is due to that volcano.

I heard something to this effect a couple of weeks ago and it has always been at the back of my mind. I haven't done any serious research. My full season plants are doing very well in the greenhouse and the backup crop for the black box that I am vegging indoors is screaming along... getting huge. So I am not that worried about the ones I have in the hoop house that are just sick and fucking tired of the cold. Not sure whether they will ever bounce back. Even though the sun outlook has changed, the temps will start rising. This is really the most important thing. I am a highly adaptable organism. My season will be bomb regardless of this weather issue. Unless of course it just never turns to summer... maybe this is like the event that killed the dinosaurs.

I'd be interested in seeing a link to anything of interest regarding the cause of this extended winter in norcal.

Knowing your plant sap pH is cool and all, but if you don't know the EC, NO3-N : K relationship , Na ...how will you know what is making the pH what it is? how will you know what to address? Just some things to think about ...

Sure, this is 100% understood, but the data collected from the one test is not nearly as absolutely worthless as your absolutist post suggests. There are still components to our activities -such as trial and error and an intuitive connection to our plants- that could take the pH data and make it useful. I can only afford, perhaps, one of the meters right now... My question was posted to those with constructive contributions to a set of parameters at hand... you are always quick to answer... but constructively? Not so much.

My point is that your answers to questions are quite often seem to be couched in a belief that you know the definitive answer. This is a perfect illustration of the difference between knowledge and wisdom. Which is it you seek, rastaman?

C

CityOfTrees530

Brix Mix, Calcium-25, Molasses.....When are these getting applied, grow or bloom?

As for AN the only product I would recommend is VHO foliar spray for grow. I have never seen so much growth formed from a foliar.

nomaad

Veteran
Thanks for joining us, resin lung.

City of Trees: bi-weekly alternating foliar applications until resin production begins. About 3 weeks into flower. as per Tom.

nomaad

Veteran
Just peaked in on the girls in the hoop house. the OG has perked the fuck up. The Sour D is on its way too. I am now confident that my AAA black box crop is secure now as those two strains accounted for almost an entire hoop house. I am blessed.

Maad: I have two BD cuts i received...

The first, seems to grow at a decent rate, not blowing up though, perhaps its due to the weather not getting hot enough.. but this cut, has a little bit thicker sativa leaves, not thick by any means, but thicker than the other BD cut i just recieved..

The new cut has more growth for its height and very skinny skinny leaves.. i havent seen how fast this one grows, but it appears like it exeeds the first BD cut i have..

Your one of the few who has more than one BD cut i know, so i was wondering if by the descriptions i just gave, if you could comment on which ones they may be, and what i might expect from them... i know you cant be positive, just a guess if you would..

I wish i could get some pictures up but wont be able until the weekend.

P

planty

Sap testing is the type of scientific process that leaves "intuitive connections" at the door. I grow with science. There is a scientific solution for every situation and going by feeling is like shooting in the dark. Testing sap is like having a red dot sight...

If you're going to just test one thing I would test the EC of the plant itself. It is my opinion that testing the EC will be the most valuable if you can just test one variable and record data. You can compare the EC that you're feeding, the ERGS/EC of the soil and that of the plant to get an idea of how your plants metabolism is working relative to your inputs.

The sap pH will just tell you if your plant will get sick or not.

The most important is the NO3-N and K meters. These meters are the ones that tell you exactly what is in your plant and how it is using what it is taking up. Tracking the relationship and ratio between Nitrate/Nitrogen and Potassium in the plant you can get an idea of how you will yield and the overall quality of that yield...

C

CityOfTrees530

Cool, was looking for some good foliar sprays to use during the grow will be picking some up after this horrible weather goes away.

nomaad curious on the bud candy was a product i was considering using during the flowering. what was your input on it, more flavor/smell?

nomaad

Veteran
Layedback: maybe some pics? I can't really determine anything based on your description.

CityofTrees: I don't know if "more" flavor and smell. All I can say is that I really liked the flavor and smell of my herb last year and I used Bud Candy on the recommendation of some very successful growers. I am going to figure out how much Bud Candy had to do with that in my Black Boxes. I had hoped to work this shit out in a greenhouse run, but I would have needed the GH space prematurely.

Planty: Thanks for that explanation. Now, if you could just answer questions in that manner the first time...

I, too, was raised on science. PhD's were used for toilet paper in my neighborhood. And I am a strong believer in solid science... however, I have learned through experiencing life that intuition is often as valuable as science. For certain, the wine, veggies and fruit grown by my more intuitive friends is always way better than the stuff being grown with pure science down the block.

I have no desire to toss 2 grand at a full set of instruments that might sit around all season doing nothing. However, if I have one new instrument around that helps me get a baseline of whether my intuition is serving me or slowing me down... I'm more likely to start messing with it... and might just get something out of that experience.

In the end, I am sure I will encounter some herb grown completely based on intuition that is as good as your lab grown bomb threat this year... Maybe just because of the truly irie vibes its infused with. Got a meter for that?

plough

If you're going to just test one thing I would test the EC of the plant itself. It is my opinion that testing the EC will be the most valuable if you can just test one variable and record data. You can compare the EC that you're feeding, the ERGS/EC of the soil and that of the plant to get an idea of how your plants metabolism is working relative to your inputs.

The sap pH will just tell you if your plant will get sick or not.

The most important is the NO3-N and K meters. These meters are the ones that tell you exactly what is in your plant and how it is using what it is taking up. Tracking the relationship and ratio between Nitrate/Nitrogen and Potassium in the plant you can get an idea of how you will yield and the overall quality of that yield...

If I may interject.... Why would you recommend EC over Brix? What would the EC tell you that Brix wouldn't?

nomaad

Veteran
Since its been raining for days, I've got some extra time on my hands. Somebody a few pages back was wondering about the unpronounceable Icelandic volcano's effect on the weather here in Norcal this year.

“When the Laki volcano erupted in 1783, it caused a cloud of poison gas to drift to Britain, where hundreds died. The smog and ash caused famines in Western Europe. Crop production plunged. The winter of 1784 was one of the coldest in history, with the Mississippi River freezing as far south as New Orleans. "

from: http://www.standlikearock.net/2010/...-may-affect-economy-weather-health-worldwide/

C

CityOfTrees530

Curious, I know using molasses during budding will increase the yield but never heard of it being used as a foliar during grow, whats the reason for spraying it? seems like it would be a mess.
how much molasses is applied 1:10 ratio?

Brix Mix both powder/liquid have to be applied together correct? Called stores today, they seemed like I was crazy asking for calcium-25. Looks like ill be ordering

wotamess

isn't BD blueberry x haze?? what on earth could possibly be wrong with that???

:shrug:

loving the grow show, 'maad... irie!!

all the best... :yes:

-wam-

nomaad

Veteran
BD (yep, BBxHaze) is just easy to hate on. Yields great, tastes great, sells great, excellent high (especially if you like the hazey highs.) Perfect target for snobs.

Nice to see you, wotamess.

Looks like its drying out for a few days. Lots to do. Today I am going to fill the smartbeds. Had a crazy dream last night that I went into the greenhouse and found half my plants gone. Weird.

nomaad

Veteran
Just looked at the weather report and now it seems as if next week's rain has been canceled. I'm not getting my hopes up as the picture seems to change every day. But I am seeing lots of 90's and yellow orbs.

localhero

volcano vs. el nino

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/weather/uk_and_roi/article7134047.ece

CLIMATE scientists have warned that 2010 could turn out to be the warmest year in recorded history.

They have collated global surface temperature measurements showing that the world has experienced near-record highs between January and April.

Researchers working independently at the Met Office and Nasa are soon to publish data that reveal the trend is likely to continue for the rest of the year.

James Hansen, director of Nasa’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (Giss), a world centre for climate monitoring, said: “Global temperatures, averaged over the past 12 months, were the warmest for 130 years.

“December to February was also the second-warmest of any such period.”

Vicky Pope, head of climate change advice at the Met Office, said: “It was a cold winter in Europe but, globally, January to March was one of the seven warmest starts to the year on record.

“This year has more than a 50% chance of being the warmest on record.”

The average global surface temperature is based on measurements taken from thousands of monitoring stations and satellites. These measurements are collated and independently analysed by the Met Office, Giss and at the National Climatic Data Center in North Carolina.

The Giss record shows that from January to April this year the global temperature was elevated by an average of 0.75C, compared with benchmark temperatures.

Climate change was not the only suspected cause.

Research suggests that the warming is also strongly linked to a temporary shift in Pacific currents, known as El Niño, which has caused the ocean to release large amounts of heat into the atmosphere.

Kevin Trenberth, head of climate analysis at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Colorado, said: “We have seen rapid warming recently, but it is an example of natural variation that is associated with changes in the Pacific rather than climate change.

“However, this warming is in addition to the 0.7C long-term rise in global temperature caused by climate change. The record temperatures are due to the two factors adding together.”

John Christy, professor of atmospheric science at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, was cautious about predicting record temperatures for 2010, pointing out that the global datasets for temperature had flaws that could lead to rises being overstated. He said: “Be wary of climate forecasts — Mother Nature always seems to have a trick up her sleeve.”

looks like there wont be a volcano induced nuclear winter. sweet.

Guest423

Veteran
I am an azatrol/azamax fan...all the way. I'm now alternating with Spinosad. not that u asked me.

I'm a big Azatrol and Spinosad fan myself, I won't even grow without using Spinosad outdoors in my area.

P.S. The Bluedream has flooded the market around here, imported from Cali, prices are droppin fast and people are sitting on it because there's to much around and they want something else. Not that it matters, just sayin.

localhero

makes you wonder how much worse it could be without the el nino. the year without a summer 1815, the earlier volcano you mentioned before are just a few of the volcanic winters recorded.

ill be on board with the brix mix. might even do a trellis vs. hortonova. gotta love peaceful valley.

good luck with the plant moving

nomaad

Veteran
Time2Unite: Are you talking about Colorado?

Just got the first smartbed filled and planted with sour d.. They are a bit wonky and I had to pop some stakes in to make it work. Round just works better as a self supporting structure. But I think the extra soil mass and the good weather on the way is going to make a really thick sea of coals in there.

Latest posts

Latest posts