What's new

Nomaad OD:2010

localhero

yeah what he said,

but not only that it would concern me that this late in the season all the good batches couldve been taken. maybe they run out of the properly aged compost they put in and have to run a batch with something hotter to keep up with production? just an example i remember reading about.

nomaad

Veteran
I'm looking forward to the FFOF vs. ROGF battle royale as well. I always welcome the opportunity to learn thru comparison. This year's garden will be a quality sample to garner some real conclusions about these soils.

In my 2010 preseason propagation romp I have used Black Gold, Black Gold Coco, Roots, 707, Ocean Forest, Happy Frog and a number of my own mixes of Sonoma Compost's products, peat and amendments. With the exception of a couple of prematurely deficient plants, all the mixes have held up... The only resulting thesis is that the amount of perlite in the mix has more affect on the speed at which the plants veg than the brand of soil. I'd have to do a proper controlled experiment to prove or disprove this thesis, and someday I might...

I'm not worried about the batch of FFOF i am going to be planting into... I have had dozens of plants thriving in the same batch for more than a month now. If they were going to shrivel up and die from exposure to FFOF as HMan fears (fears based in experience, mind you) they probably would have done it already. Right?

Y

Yankee Grower

Yankee Grower - Hell yes. The sap tests show how successful the work being done in the root zone is. I take multiple samples from all over the grow room or yard label each sap sample and then test NO3/N , K , EC , pH , Na to tell me how i'm doing. I don't want to geek out about it too hard here in nomaads thread though so I'll leave it at that...

You can get the Cardy meters I use @ www.specmeters.com
I saw you recommending what I thought was some of these meters to Nomaad earlier in this thread but didn't know if he was up to speed yet. Cool to see peeps getting technical and do feel it'll become more popular. When I get more time will check out your thread and chat about it.

You should test some native weeds...then think you'll start collecting them for your compost pile :)

P

planty

manzanita compost rules

Look forward to the discussion :)

It seems like it's starting to warm up

Also I haven't really ever tested Brix because I feel like if I'm doing the other 5 or so tests then testing brix too is redundant..if the pH, EC, Na, and N/NO3:K is on point and the weathers good the brix will be high ya know?

I am just preparing myself to continue in my career with the standard of agricultural practice expected of a professional...

Y

Yankee Grower

manzanita compost rules

I am just preparing myself to continue in my career with the standard of agricultural practice expected of a professional...
That's what Tom says and I got manzanita all over the place. Maybe I'll start a manzanita compost biz...lol.

Heck yeah! Nice to see people applying high end ag practices to canna. For sure peeps doing this will be a step ahead of the market for a variety of reasons. In the long run if things become more 'competitive', which I believe they will, peeps doing what you are will always have an edge...especially when it comes to yields and most importantly...quality! The plants will be kick ass healthy too so less pest and disease issues. Insects are attracted to unhealthy plants :)

Will continue in your thread...

nomaad

Veteran
OK... Things are looking good. Before the rain started this morning we got all the smartpots in the main garden moved... the end result, as you can see below is 2-4 feet more space between most of the planters. I have been worrying a lot about spacing...my ginormous Blue Dream plants competing for space come time for flowers. With the additional space, I am feeling a lot better.

2010_0525_1.jpg

Looks like consistent sun and warming temps for the 15 day forecast. I'm not going to get my hopes up, but if this does play out as forecasted, I feel like I can have my plants out of shock and transplanted by the 5th and start pulling tarp on the black boxes by the 15th.

2010_0525_2.gif

localhero

its not all dream though right? have you thought about not putting them next to each other in those pots, maybe as much as u can place them between other strains that wont be so space hungry.

nomaad

Veteran
Its not all Blue Dream (about half) but almost everything going in my big pots was chosen because it goes MONSTER under the proper conditions. The mainstays of the two big pot gardens are Blue Dream and Pineapple Cough. I will also run a couple of other strains that seem to have the qualities required to achieve monsterhood, but not enough to intersperse between my guarantied monsters.

All my other strains are going to be run in the black boxes and will comprise the replacements for my black box that will go out when the black box comes in at the beginning of August. OG, Bubba, J1, Sour D, Master Kush, Shrek, Chem D and a few new strains I am testing to see if they work for me... Nancy Botwin, Pineapple Romulan, The Shire and a couple of others.

These are mostly strains I have run in the past and have proven to go too long or not finish right with my late season sun issues. I may have to start forcing flower on some of them before they go outside. I'll also be able to cover all of them in the hoop houses when the weather gets bad and they will be manageable enough to supplement light with some HPS if necessary.

Last edited:

nomaad

Veteran
Heh... its a locally bred OG cross. Very vigorous OG pheno. Good yields, easy to grow, suited to OD. All just propaganda at this point. Stem rub smells like straight OG. They call it Ogre, but I don't want it to get confused with the Sensi Star Ogre that is said to be more like a trainwreck thing. When I was talking to my friend (in code) I told him that I really wanted to watch Shrek and to make sure he brought that copy I lent him... he didn't know what the fuck i was talking about at first... then he called me back a few minutes later and was like... oohhhh. we laughed and laughed. Anyhow, when I cut some clones, I labeled the cloner "Shrek". Its not a clone that's going anywhere, so Shrek is its working title.

Is Shrek and Ogre or a Troll? I have never seen any of those movies all the way thru...

note: Shrek should have been listed in the experimental category. I have no idea what will come of it. I have procured both excellent cuts and worthless ones from this source. This cut has been hyped a lot, so I have high hopes.

H

humboldtlocal

I consulted with my in-house Shrek expert and he is definitely an Ogre.

nomaad

Veteran
In all reality, its just a working title that brings me a smile when I think about the phone conversation. Going to talk to the source and decide on a more appropriate name...

Problem with the name Ogre is that its a no-brainer name for an OG cross. And there are plenty of pollen chuckers with no brains... so... Normally I would not change a strain's name... There have been a few exceptions when the need arose (Clueberry, PepeLePew, Bubbz, Juno)... I'm not super thrilled on MJ named after a character in a kids movie so I would never send it to market with such a name.

G

Ganja D

Strain list for the light dep sounds great Nomad. There was something at seedbay in the server fund a few weeks ago called Shrek,don't remember the info though.
We have a few SSSDH females over here, hope to find one like the shire. Should have some SSSDH pollen as well.
The blue dream is rocking. Nice to have some sativa leaves in the garden to mix it up.
Yards looking great Nomad! Happy planting.:)

T

theJointedOne

hey looking good man, nice veggie garden. nice weather attachment, , let the sun shine!! keep up the good work

nomaad

Veteran
I have one small plant of the Shire and I'll cut a couple of clones when she's ready. I will hopefully have a run of those ready for the late season run. She is a slower vegger than I would have expected.

localhero

alright, ill ask since a search lands too many hits. what exactly is a black box? are you just covering up your girls with black plastic every day to make a 12 12 light cycle? that sounds like it would make some crazy humidity when they get big. there must be another trick to that. and damn you have a ton of good stuff goin man.

nomaad

Veteran
alright, ill ask since a search lands too many hits. what exactly is a black box? are you just covering up your girls with black plastic every day to make a 12 12 light cycle? that sounds like it would make some crazy humidity when they get big. there must be another trick to that. and damn you have a ton of good stuff goin man.

that is precisely what a black box is. aka light dep, forced flower...

I pull tarp at 8 and 8. Humidity is an issue. Lots of circulating air and a 10" vortex for extraction this year should handle it.

Would like to be using Forever Flowering's breathable light dep fabric, but I just won't give em $2.12 per sq ft.

I use one layer of 6 mil black plastic and a layer of super sun blocker tarp from CreativeShelters.com.

UnknownProphet

???do?Pu?ou?uU
Veteran
Shire? I was under the impression that was a super pheno of the SSSDH Rez made, but the reason I'm perplexed is I thought it was found by OJD and floated around the Dam only? Did I miss the boat here?

Here's to sippin' on some sunshine!

Hash Man

ojd's prize winning cut is not the same cut as the shire. He has stated that he believes it is very similar, if not the same exact pheno.