What's new

New extraction technique? Rosin tech?

kalopatchkid

Veteran
Pressed some trim/larf of CSI's zkittlez S1.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6442.jpg
    IMG_6442.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 51

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Portability is a nice feature, my press takes up half of a 3x6 table and is heavy and not so portable, I am not getting near the raw material I need to make much rosin these days, trim has become more valued than it was a few years ago, so I don’t use the press near as much...

Portability is more than nice in a state where they frown on making concentrates. That little 3-4 ton alum frame dabpress is just about right for the kitchen counter, near the freezer, where I make my concoctions. I use the silicon mat under the press to avoid scratches, and catch any mistakes. It's put away the rest of the time.

They should source a USA manufacturer. Most people would pay. :D

EsterEssence

Veteran
My press is the prototype that Sunfire made when we developed driptech, it can be moved but is heavy so I wouldn’t exactly call it portable. The jack is probably around 20 ton with a separate hand pump. Manufactured in the USA but i believe it was around $2500.00 but he gave it to me for helping him developing the press idea. It’s going to be hard to compete with the Chinese, as we are finding out How much control they have with the manufactured goods...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I have seen vids of production shops and air over hyd, doing a fast heavy squish. My experience with the little press is that thing has enough pressure for the size of the puck. I have to modulate the pressure anyways, as it heats, and squishing too hard makes the rosin pick up plant trash. My bud is from vac packs anyways, and usually it doesn't squish enough to make it worth it. Only certain strains are worth it for me. Strawberry banana being one.

Last edited:

EsterEssence

Veteran
My jack system is way overkill, the gauge goes to 16000 lbs and I use it up to about 500-750, otherwise there are nothing but blow outs. Once you learn how much pressure to use it really works good...

EsterEssence

Veteran
I tried tumbling and pressing some cbd bud, it didn’t hardly yield any hash powder, and made some rosin. I think pressing the buds themselves would probably yield more, but I think a alcohol wash would be a better method for cbd buds...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Wanna buy a 3-4 ton dabpress?

Wanna buy a 3-4 ton dabpress?

I dunno if this is OK here, but I want to sell my 4 ton dabpress with single PID channel. Rosin isn't my thing. Just like new, and they are unavailable. Cost me $375, shipped. The ride will be expensive.

Send me a PM.

Last edited:

EsterEssence

Veteran
Even when my rosin comes out a little dark it is still very good and tastes like good hash, with even less ash than hash, it’s a clean extraction...

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They're (dispensaries) typically passing off poorly dried poorly stored bottoms. Even this stuff I had to run a dehum for 3 days to get anywhere close to pressable.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I pressed me a little flower rosin last night. Some of this stuff is getting dark with age, but is still tasty.
picture.php

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Pressed some tangie cookies, wifi, and sourdub today. Here's a few pics of the results!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The temperature of the process influences the consistency of the extraction. This important aspect of the rosin process can change the viscosity of the natural cannabis oils, allowing for extraction from the plant material. This means pressing butter at the lower end of the temperature spectrum, anywhere between 140 to180 F. Some industry experts recommend between 200 to 230 F for flowers. A shattery consistency happens around 220F. Producers need to be wary of relying on higher temperatures during pressing as it can sometimes damage the important medicinal compounds. Some terpenes are especially sensitive to high temperatures, anything above 230F might increase their volatility in the air. Once exposed, the terpenes may simply evaporate.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Might increase the terp volitility? A good fresh batch of flower is releasing terps at room temp (the smell). Yeah, the hotter the plates are, the more the terps want to go away. Looking at that rosin a couple pics above, I was thinking the terps coming off were the reason for the bubbles.

Some strains just make better rosin I think. Strawberry Bannana I had when I first got press was really good for rosin. I believe that retaining the terps makes for runnier oil, and I found that frozen plates and such are your friend.

What a fascinating plant!