What's new

New extraction technique? Rosin tech?

T

TheForgotten

I tried that. I whipped it... whipped it good. Whipped it hot (about 100F - 110F), whipped it cold (out of the freezer).

In fact, I am doing it right now (room temp). Shit just won't budder.

.cool....:tiphat:

I wonder if the use of chemicals and the breakdown of wax (and other substances) allows for the process....

Technique

"Drip tech" is pretty cool if you are pressing large loads. I usually press 2 or 3 grams at a time and there's just not enough to 'drip'. LOL My press has the legs to tilt the press and use the technique but I seldom do.

I like to keep a lot of flavors so if I press too much of one flavor, it can go stale. It's a task just to take a few dabs out of each flavor every day. LOL

Nice stash! can you freeze store it?

I'm kinda wanting to put this into a ccell or something similar, i currently get 1ml of them to last me about 2 weeks, but need to make my own now.. cant wait for the bonus pucks for butter..

two month tree burning free! not bad for an oz a week thru a bong...

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Any thc-A is there already. One can separate it from a heat press extract, and you get an oil terpy substance and a white powdery slab of thc-a. But even if its not a paste its still there, heavy pasting just indicates a larger amount of it in a sample.

This one? I don't understand. I am trying to do exactly what you are saying here (unless I misunderstand you). I want to heat press the rosin to separate the THCa from the rest of the stuff and end up with the powdery THCa.

But, I read that it DOES NOT work with sticky or runny rosin. So, I am trying to make some 'waxy' rosin so I can do it. Are you saying it will work fine with runny or sticky rosin because I have tried it over and over and it ain't working. LOL

Sorry bud, didn't mean to piss you off. I generally respect your posts. I just didn't see/understand this one.

:)

The Hermit

But, I read that it DOES NOT work with sticky or runny rosin. So, I am trying to make some 'waxy' rosin so I can do it. Are you saying it will work fine with runny or sticky rosin because I have tried it over and over and it ain't working. LOL

In my experience this is true, the THCA in the rosin needs to have crystalised to a certain point before you try and do the mechanical separation. I've only been able to make the process work with rosin that has nucleated (I think that's the word) into a stiff budder or wax. I've also found that it works much better with rosin that auto-budders (ie without whipping/stirring) and that some rosin just won't budder up enough, no matter how much you whip them.

I've wondered whether this is because of the terpene content... I think certain terpenes are such good solvents that they don't allow the THCA to crash out and crystalize. Limonene for example. Of course, without easy access to fast and affordable lab analysis, it's difficult to verify this kind of thing.

Oh, and most of the time rosin from good quality bubble hash or dry sift will work way better than flower rosin, but there are some exceptions, I tried with some GG4 flower rosin and it worked well enough.

Here's a sequence of a recent THCA separation. I had to wait a few days for the rosin in the first picture to lose it's shine a little, until it looked like the sample in the jar in the next pic. Third pic is of the raw THCA looking all chalky, straight out of the inside of the 25µ filter bag. Pic 4 is the same THCA once it had been re-melted and filtered through a clean 25µ bag at around 140ºC. Hope the visual reference is helpful. Peace.

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Here is some rosin from some fresh material I had hanging for a couple days. Picked some early samples cause I'm out of smoke decided to press a nug.

Results were quite awesome and the flavor was stellar!

picture.php

T

TheForgotten

Looks like someone nicked themselves with a blade while making resin.... :biggrin:

Last edited:

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
What strain made that beautiful cherry red rosin?

I wish I could tell you honestly, I got the clones from the Cannabis Cup In D town last year. Was labled motorbreath, but after sampling some early samples it's some type of cookies cross.

It captures the full flavor of the forum cookie with an added sweet cotton candy, fruity pebbles that cuts through the cookie flavor and enhances it quite nicely.

The nugs I used were lowers cut early hung up for 48 hrs and then removed from the stalks for a few hrs and laid in front of fan.

The Unknown plant that produced the rosin in the pictures on the previous page.
picture.php

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran

These things are fun as fuck and I highly recommend.

Why?

I'm layin' on the fuckin' couch smoking rosin.

No wicks or coils just a titanium or quartz bucket.

Saionara TAF w/ Pico 75w.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I have one in my vape stash. I bought it before the quartz bucket was available. I didn't like the Ti bucket. It tasted like metal to me. Been meaning to try the quartz bucket. Price is certainly right at just over 20 bux.

However, I have almost 100% gotten away from anything that needs loaded with a tool. My rosin is always too fucking sticky. Makes it a PITA. I have gone with all 'straw" or 'dipper' styles. The Terp Pen from Boundless is very nice and only about $22 on sale.

My daily goto for rosin now is the ArisTech Headbanger. Best rosin vape I have. And.... I have them all. LOL

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice was looking at the boundless. I'll check out that aristech. Pretty gay for vaping right now

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Is there a consensus on what is the best press. Also best affordable press? When I was looking last year, the one I was going to get was 120 pounds.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I'll vouch for DabPress as well. I have 2 of them.

Where are you? They are available in different countries in different ways to try to minimize customs fees and shipping.

Before Corona Daze, I bought one straight from their factory in China and it was here in 4 or 5 days (DHL Express, or something like that.)

Anyway, check Amazon, eBay or dabpress.com

Not sure if they still offer discount codes but they do offer "packages" with pre-presses and bags and whatever.

Good luck

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The best accessory I have is the pre-puck tube and ram I have only used a bag once, because they just absorb oil IMO. My 3-4 ton press only opens about an inch, so there is only so much that can fit between the plates.

I got mine through AMZN, and the poor PO woman who delivered it said it was heavy. I like the portability, so when I feel like some rosin I can just whup it out, use it, and put the thing away - out of sight. I would say it is a good personal use unit.

EsterEssence

Veteran
Portability is a nice feature, my press takes up half of a 3x6 table and is heavy and not so portable, I am not getting near the raw material I need to make much rosin these days, trim has become more valued than it was a few years ago, so I don’t use the press near as much...