What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New extraction technique? Rosin tech?

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
I get about the same flavor from rosin from nug pressed at 165f for 90 seconds as I do rosin pressed at 220 for 20 seconds. I get a better yield from the 220 20 sec press and the consistency is better for me.

My rosin has more flavor then a jar of crystalline with liquid terps dumped on it. The flavor sticks around after the smokes gone...

My settings 220f for 20 seconds with about 1200lbs of pressure.

Last edited:

EsterEssence

Veteran
I usually press hash powder ‘kief” between 180 and 220, i don’t get much off gassing of the terps. I remember 5 years ago, yes it’s been 5 years the first time I did the drip tech with the hair iron in the vise having the rosin run into the trench of parchment, there was a bunch of off gassing of the terps when I released the vice, but the hair iron was around 280* on the lowest setting. We sure have come a long way with technology for rosin making...

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I get about the same flavor from rosin from nug pressed at 165f for 90 seconds as I do rosin pressed at 220 for 20 seconds. I get a better yield from the 220 20 sec press and the consistency is better for me.

My rosin has more flavor then a jar of crystalline with liquid terps dumped on it. The flavor sticks around after the smokes gone...

My settings 220f for 20 seconds with about 1200lbs of pressure.

that wont be the same for all strains. Some stuff darkens very fast even at lower temps. For that strain you pressed it works like that, but there is high variability in decomposition speed versus temperature and time.

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
that wont be the same for all strains. Some stuff darkens very fast even at lower temps. For that strain you pressed it works like that, but there is high variability in decomposition speed versus temperature and time.

All strains from my experience do produce slightly different color variations however I haven't seen any of the strains I've pressed produce what I would consider dark oil. I've probably pressed 40-60 different strains so not the most experienced but out of those strains none produced what I consider dark oil.

I have had friends bring over old material which produced dark oils.

I suspect the age of the material has a lot to do with the color and that if your producing really dark oil pressing fresh flowers then the quality of the flower is probably suspect or you exceeded 220f or left the material on the heat for longer then 30 seconds. Just what my experience has shown me. To each their own!

I prefer higher temp lower contact time over lower temp longer contact time. Gives me the quality I desire. I'm not big on the waxy consistency another to each their own.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Age has more to do with it than heat, but prolonged heat will darken different strains extract differently, and with different flavor degradation results.

Prodigygrower

Veteran
I found that 178 for 100 seconds gave me the best results. Although I will try the high heat less time next round. I use 7 grams in the nug smasher in a 160 mesh bag. The prep work is so important getting them pressed into even pucks into the bag makes a world of difference. My ave pull has been 20 to 25 percent each run. I did press the pucks a second time at 212 this time and ended up with another gram of darker product. It was still gassy af but had more of a burnt taste. Any one have tips on pressing bubble? I just ordered some ice extract bags imma run my last harvest trim soon. Any way here are some pics of the last run the darker one is the second press. I love rosin once you press good organic herb you’ve grown it changes you lol cheers guys.

Attachments

• 1BA6EEF0-4D7E-45AC-90A8-25F34E6AFBC2.jpg
    1BA6EEF0-4D7E-45AC-90A8-25F34E6AFBC2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 61
  • CAED22BF-5B63-43B2-98A6-05E3396162D0.jpg
    CAED22BF-5B63-43B2-98A6-05E3396162D0.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 76080619-7D3F-47A4-B34F-095A6A2B28C3.jpg
    76080619-7D3F-47A4-B34F-095A6A2B28C3.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 99CC3921-48E6-432F-BC42-E1BBC3C4BBCF.jpg
    99CC3921-48E6-432F-BC42-E1BBC3C4BBCF.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 66

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Press bubble slowly. It's important to let the material warm up before applying pressure. Once the top plate contacts apply one more stroke and wait for the filter to grease up. Then painfully slowly apply more pressure as you see the flow start.

Last edited:

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
So for live rosin what seems to be the consensus on temp and duration ? 160 bags?? Trying my hand at rosin for the first time on a rosin tech smash.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Every year I try to invest back into myself at fall harvest something to make the following year easier and or cheaper. Just ordered a 4 ton dabpress that should be here Friday. Can't wait to join the club :trampoline:

Hey @sturgeongeneral,
How did your live rosin turn out?

redlaser

Veteran
I use the 90u for both live collected dry ice sift and pucked flower. I would agree it’s not necessary to bag a pucked flower generally, but it helps if you occasionally over press the puck , and even with a bag there can be a few fragments come out the open end.
If it’s just for me it doesn’t matter because it’s so minor, but if for others it helps prevent any complaints if my eagle eye happens to miss plant matter.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
What is a top quality air compressor press, that is great value, and where to get??? Was looking on e-bay last year.

Was going to buy one last year, but weighed a lot, and figured I would get after moving. Think it was over 10 ton.

What do you look for in press???

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Air compressors are generally poor presses.

Good plates and a hydraulic press. Timewizard Greyfox makes the best plates. Presses at any hardware store.

Dabpress is an economical alternative. Their all in one unit is affordable and gets good reviews.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Air compressors are generally poor presses.

Good plates and a hydraulic press. Timewizard Greyfox makes the best plates. Presses at any hardware store.

Dabpress is an economical alternative. Their all in one unit is affordable and gets good reviews.

These are not manually closed like a car jack are they???

What kind of hydraulic pump??

Is 10 ton enough??

Does rosin store well in freezer?

Thanks.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes just vac pack it.

Tonnage depends on your plate size. 10-12t is ideal for 3x5 plates.

H frame presses are prime and if you shop around you can find one on sale usually.

Check out dabpress I'm surprised their local salesman Ringo hasn't piped up yet.

Where's the love, Ringo baby?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts