What's new

New extraction technique? Rosin tech?

Technique

In the process of gathering up bits and pieces for to make a press and hit the machine shop and start turning blocks of alloy into swarf, and hopefully something that resembles a pair of heater plates.

having never seen a press. if i build a slight slope in my plates to aid it ooozing out the front, is this a thing? or a bad idea?

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
people use pouches and or directional paper folding, but at one point people talked about vertical or leaned setups. Not sure if that makes much of a difference if you use a folded setup.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
"Drip tech" is pretty cool if you are pressing large loads. I usually press 2 or 3 grams at a time and there's just not enough to 'drip'. LOL My press has the legs to tilt the press and use the technique but I seldom do.

I like to keep a lot of flavors so if I press too much of one flavor, it can go stale. It's a task just to take a few dabs out of each flavor every day. LOL

Attachments

• rosinstash.jpg
    rosinstash.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 26

EsterEssence

Veteran
I don’t use the Drip Tech unless I have 100 grams of a variety to make the large puck and wrap it for the directional flow, otherwise it doesn’t work. If you have enough it makes it easy to collect, no scraping...

Attachments

• FB65F21F-F5F3-4DCB-8121-CF58D0CBE0CF.jpg
    FB65F21F-F5F3-4DCB-8121-CF58D0CBE0CF.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 40

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Hey gang, I am having a little conundrum. I can not get my rosin to 'wax'.

I saw some tuts about making THCa by re-pressing rosin through 25u bags, etc. But, every tut I read says it won't work with runny or sticky rosin. And, I can confirm that because I have tried over and over with sticky and it just doesn't work.

So, I have been pressing and pressing to try to get my rosin to come out 'waxy'.

I have tried 8 different strains as you can see in the picture two posts up. I have tried temps from 140F to 190F. Basically, I get the same consistency, just less yield at the lower temps. After about 180F it turns to shatter and becomes a static nightmare.

I generally store my pot in 62 Bovedas before pressing but I have tried it from about 62%RH to bone dry. Sticky, sticky, sticky.

I also tried the heat and whip method. I heated it slightly and then I whipped it, whipped it good. LOL It would wax up a little while I was whipping it but after it set for a while it just went back to sticky.

Tried freezing it but when I put it on the plates to press it ..... sticky sticky.

Any suggestions on how to 'wax up'?

Thanks

https://www.alchimiaweb.com/blogen/make-thca-crystals-solventless-sauce/

Pro Headies

Veteran
Have you tried pressing kief instead of flowers? I'm not positive that will help but when I use to press flower it was a runny/sticky end product compared to kief.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I have pressed keif and it always comes out like black tar. I may need to review that. Thanks.

HK.. why don't I want wax? According to everything I read it MUST be wax to create the THC acetate. Maybe you didn't read that part. Thanks

Pro Headies

Veteran
I have pressed keif and it always comes out like black tar. I may need to review that. Thanks.

HK.. why don't I want wax? According to everything I read it MUST be wax to create the THC acetate. Maybe you didn't read that part. Thanks

Hmm. Do you happen to have a temperature gun to check make sure your plates are correct temperature? Kief for me makes the highest quality gold. Black tar makes me think your getting alot of plant material in your kief possibly. Only time I see dark color at all is with trim.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Yep, I have verified the plates a number of times with a digital contact thermometer and others. They are usually less than 1 or 2 degrees off. I did an unboxing vid for the manufacturer and did the plate temp test as part of the video. I have verified a number of times since.

I am thinking 145F - 150F for keif? Yes? I may try another press today. I just got some new 25u bags I want to try.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
"Drip tech" is pretty cool if you are pressing large loads. I usually press 2 or 3 grams at a time and there's just not enough to 'drip'. LOL My press has the legs to tilt the press and use the technique but I seldom do.

I like to keep a lot of flavors so if I press too much of one flavor, it can go stale. It's a task just to take a few dabs out of each flavor every day. LOL

That is quite a variation in color. Mine always seems to be beige/golden, unless I squish the green out by using too much pressure.

Looks tasty!!!

Reading further, I have the same results with both rosin and oil. Squish and collect, then heat and stir. All I get is bubbling which is the THCa decarbing. As for THCa, what I have seen says that is how the compound comes off the plant, and must be converted to the delta-9.

T

TheForgotten

Does rosin 'budder up' like oil, with a heat & stir (under 100 deg. F) ?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I tried that. I whipped it... whipped it good. Whipped it hot (about 100F - 110F), whipped it cold (out of the freezer).

In fact, I am doing it right now (room temp). Shit just won't budder.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran

Any thc-A is there already. One can separate it from a heat press extract, and you get an oil terpy substance and a white powdery slab of thc-a. But even if its not a paste its still there, heavy pasting just indicates a larger amount of it in a sample.

Pro Headies

Veteran
Yep, I have verified the plates a number of times with a digital contact thermometer and others. They are usually less than 1 or 2 degrees off. I did an unboxing vid for the manufacturer and did the plate temp test as part of the video. I have verified a number of times since.

I am thinking 145F - 150F for keif? Yes? I may try another press today. I just got some new 25u bags I want to try.

i do 160f for keif using a 37u wrapped by a 120u bag for 90 seconds at "full" pressure.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Awesome, thanks. I will try that exact recipe. ;)

Do you let the load sit between the plates under zero pressure just to warm the load before pressing? Or, do you take a cold load and press hard for 90 seconds?

Again, thanks

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Mr. Ringodoggie, I believe that you have the same 4 ton dab press that I do. To get enough worth cooking I fill the little pre-puck tube thing I have (about 1" dia) that will hand press down to just under an inch high. That is all the room there is between the plates in the press anyways.

So reading your post made my mouth water, and I squished some Sour D (getting dry as the Bvda 62 has turned chunky and hard). Not enuf rosin so I did it again. 170*, and the second puck was pressed pretty hard, and yielded a little more.

But neither of those warranted using a filter bag at all. Unless there was 5x more rosin coming from that pre-press, I can't see wasting the stuff the bag will soak up. Sure, the bag can be washed in solvent and oil recovered, but with the meager juices I am seeing, why?

They both added together to make a nice little pile of tan colored squeezins, and went straight into the vape. Still high 2 hrs later.

Pro Headies

Veteran
Awesome, thanks. I will try that exact recipe. ;)

Do you let the load sit between the plates under zero pressure just to warm the load before pressing? Or, do you take a cold load and press hard for 90 seconds?

Again, thanks

i stick the bag in when the plates are just about to 160f for a minute or so with the top plate just starting to put pressure on bag. then i slowly for probably 2-3 minutes build pressure up to full pressure. Then full pressure for the 90 seconds. When i say full pressure its not full strength of my 6 ton but pretty close.

Latest posts

Latest posts