What's new

My 9k Adventure

U

ureapwhatusow

BiG H3rB Tr3E said:
i know you DONT want to hear it,,,but partner is nothing more than code word for problem

been down that road,,,will never do it again. rather take all the work and risk
and know im only one that KNOWS about it...

me and my boy who grew up together (16+years) was working a job. house was robbed, and we went at eachothers throat. end up finding it was his cousin. shit got reel durty reel quik. keep that in yer head. --BhT

You must spread more reputation before giving reputation to BiG_H3rB_Tr3E again

C

cellardweller

freedominphilly said:
I walked into the house today and immediately went to check the house temperature - 79 degrees. Quickly went down into the growroom and found the temperature to be - 87 degrees!!!

That's after a full 12 hours of running. Opening the attic door helped immensely. Getting the attic fan up there should help bring the temps down even further.

I'm getting there. I knew it would be a challenge, but this past week and a half has been pretty much pure hell. I got new wheels yesterday, so having transportation will be a HUGE help.

Stay tuned, it's gonna get good, I promise.

I knew you'd figure it out...:muahaha:
Now, On With The SHOW!!

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
what up FIP,

get some more pics posted up here!

shame on you for not knowing that 4inch and 6inch fans wouldnt cool 9k watts...

im beginning to wonder if YOUR knowledge (assuming that is your contribution to this partnership, and he is putting up the cash/house/handyman skills) is the reason why he is going paranoid... please corect me if im wrong..

also, i suggest you learn the electrical from the old man so you can go your own way.... if you make it there that is...

oh yeah, i was just re-reading and i was curious how you got thru your other 3 large grows without this old mans electric help? if you just teamed up with this guy last july, how many wild and wacky rides have you truly been on with him??

until then, good LUCK... :rant: s

Last edited:

freedominphilly

I busted my ass today

I busted my ass today

I went into the growroom this morning and found that the temperature was 79 degrees after being on 12 hours. That made me very happy so we started transplanting. We got 123 of them ladies into their new bags.

The light leaks are all gone. The temperature is great.

We're gonna finish transplanting tomorrow. Over the next 2 weeks, they'll be watered by hand and trained by breaking, staking, and bending.

There will certainly be more pictures coming regularly from this point forward.

cellardwellar - I knew I'd get it figured out too, thanks for believing in me!

LiLWaynE - It was July a year ago that I started him out with 1 light and 20 plants. Since then, we've successfully expanded his basement to 5k for flowering and an additional 2k for veg. I'm sure if he doubted my knowledge of how to grow herb, he would not have had any interest in expanding that far to begin with, let alone going for 9k. The last time I had a grow this large was over 5 years ago. I had a close friend that is a certified electrician doing my electrical then.

Ok, here's the 123 we got done today -

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good work, i dont know why i was being a dick in my last post? too many drugs in my system at that time...

keep up the good work

freedominphilly

It's all good, Mr. Carter, we all have those kind of days.

Well guys, all 180 plants are now transplanted and my back is definitely broken.

I'm taking the rest of the day off.

Here's a pic of all of them, the ones to the left are wilty looking because the lights had been off.

G

gdawg

dude im not tryin to be a prick but your airflow is totally jacked up by the way it looks in the last pic. i know it would be a ton of work now and maybe its just because of intake and outtake locations, but i would consider rearranging your hood setup after this run. too many 90s for your fan. other than that its lookin pretty good bro. weezy we know you're not a dick :laughing:

freedominphilly

I know the ducting for the lights are not pretty. Unfortunately, I really couldn't do it any other way, without decreasing the amount of lights I'm using. Looking at the picture, I wanted to have the all the lights running the other way, you know, all turned 90 degrees. It would have allowed for a much more efficient and smoother-looking design, I know. But I just couldn't do it because of the shape of my room and the fact that the hoods are rectangular and not square.

Honestly, I couldn't care any less how that stuff looks. When you guys see my timer setup, I'm sure some, if not a lot, of you are gonna laugh.

As long as I have great light, great temperatures, and great airflow, I know the plants will be superb. And I have all of those.

Last edited:

EnZee

so true... looking good man... rock on!

good news on temps... 87 still a touch high... get it to 80~ and youll be rockin!

freedominphilly

EnZee said:
so true... looking good man... rock on!

good news on temps... 87 still a touch high... get it to 80~ and youll be rockin!

Totally. 87 was one day, 79 was another, after attic ventilation was installed.

G

gdawg

i dont know what kinda environment you have outside the grow(incoming fresh air) but im thinkin ya better prepare for some moisture removal sooner than later. i dont think one lil dehuey gonna do it either, may 1 lil one on each end. or a big ass sante fe. i know ya in a basement so drainage may be a problem so mount em up and drain into the rez maybe. just some thoughts bro but if ya got it now and dont want suggestions i understand, and ya may already have it covered i just didnt seee anything in your pics. 9k, 2 weeks into 12/12=rainforest humidity :laughing:

freedominphilly

gdawg - nah man, I'm totally open to suggestion. I thought about the humidity factor. I thought I would be ok with the exhaust I have. And my intake is pulling in cool, dry, autumn/winter air. My reasoning/logic has been off with this ventilation thing, so if I'm wrong, please correct me. But if my exhaust is clearing the air out once ever 2.5 minutes and intake is readily supplying fresh air, would I not be ok? Or do you think that 180 plants' rate of transpiration would far exceed that?

I could easily grab a couple dehumidifiers if needed.

I appreciate your suggestion.

G

gdawg

if you are exhausting through a scrubber yes def. need a dehuey. i would say get one or two anyway. what is the humidity level currently? and when lights off? you can get decent refurbished dehueys off the bay for about 100bucks delivered. are your plants on tables or the floor? will there be standing water after watering? your cool autumn air may be dry now but what about when your 9k room is 6 weeks deep into flower and its shiity and wet outside? not bein negative just dont wanna see a nice room go to shit again. :joint:

Y

yamaha_1fan

You dont have to rearrange the lights to cool them better, you just need to set up better ducting with large runs going down both sides, then T'ing off to each row. One side would be intake, the other exhaust. It looks like the ducting now is one big chain and the air is taking about 15 turns.

Seems like you are getting it worked out, but keep it in mind for summer.

I use a LG 65 pint DH for 9KW and it does the job. I just let it drain into a kitchen garbage can and dump it every day back into a rez. I alternate which rez, otherwise I would just run the tube right to the rez.

But my flower room has three tables in a perpetual setup, so I have plants of various sizes, not all of them are huge monsters

I do have a question as I may be setting up a new location and plan on doing something like you I think. You have 9,000 watts and no AC? Your plan is to basically vent the lights and room into the house? Then you plan on the ambient house temp to stay around 75? And that didnt work? Are you pulling in fresh air from outside at all?

freedominphilly

yamaha_1fan - yes that is my plan exactly. I am pulling air into the room from the outside. The ambient temp in the house is upper 70's and the growroom temp I now have in the upper 70's/low 80's, so I'm all good there. I am doing it without A/Cs. Summertime will most definitely be a different story, and that leads me to address another concern you and gdawg had.

My buddy and I have figured already that we can get 3 harvests in by April/May with a 9 week strain like our Sour Queen or Calio. I've been consistently getting a gram per watt with those strains and it's only getting better. That gives us 60 pounds to split per year, working from October to May. During the hot, shitty, humid summer months, I plan on simply running a couple lights and growing out head stash herb and traveling as much as I can.

yamaha_1fan, my light temperature is good now, in my opinion, but I'm wondering, with your suggestion if it could definitely be better. Right now I actually have a 6" Eclipse that is 625cfm, cooling 5 lights. Then on another line, I have a Vortex 6" cooling the other 4. I cut another hole in the intake box in the window. The last lights in each chain are slightly warm and so are the fans, but it really doesn't seem to be a concern. However, I think I like your suggestion. Is this what you meant:
?

G

gdawg

philly ive been havin alot goin on today :badday: but it looks like you're gettin it dialed bro. i think you got what yama is talkin bout. ima say get a dehuey though, if i remember right when i ran it like that, i was pullin air from the inside of my house into the room (which i consider dry air) and moisture was running down my walls. i think when hot air meets cool air somethin happens but not sure cuz im :kos: all the time.

Y

yamaha_1fan

Close but more like this. Your design would have air coming through the middle lights and none through the outer edge lights

The larger ducts would be metal with tees on them.

You would have two 12" fans, one pushing, one pulling I think. I know the layout is right, not sure about the number of fans. I know Ty-Styck was real good with this and there are others.

This is from I have read in other threads.

I know you want to try to use what you got but instead of dicking around with it, just do it up right. This setup does cost some money though for the ducting, fans etc.

If you decide to revamp it, post a new thread in the design forum.

As far as the ambient air going through the house, thats interesting that the house is getting so warm. Mind sharing the square footage of the house that the air is circulating through

Its these details that you try to plan for but reality just smacks you around. 9kw is alot of heat.

FrankRizzo

Listen to me jerky
This looks like it will get very interesting as time goes by. I'm curious about a few details.

How are the fans controlled? I mean are they only running when the lights are on or are they going 24-7? I'm only curious since the temps for most of the country are starting to drop. Hell it's snowed up in the mountains around me. So assuming you are somewhere that it's going be colder at night are you at all concerned about it getting too cold? I'm guessing you are running you lights at night. I mean if all of a sudden you are pulling in air thats only 20F will that throw anything off. I guess it might not be much of an issue when the lights are on since there would be plenty of heat from them but what about when they are off? Lets say hour 8-12 of the off cycle. Are you at all worried about things getting too cold or does you location mean its not a big deal?

For your next run I would think looking into Co2 wouldn't be the worse idea. It would allow you to work with higher temps and it would increase your yield. You would have to change you ventilation but from the sounds of it you may anyway. Just another thing to think about for down the road.

Either way you have a nice setup and it sounds like things are starting to iron themselves out. Look forward to the next few months. I would suggest that you start learning about the parts of you set up you don't know much about like electricity. You seem to have a pretty good grasp on some portions of your setup and only good things could come from you learn about everything. Then you could make more informed decisions without relying on another person. Good luck and stay safe.

:joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts