What's new

My 9k Adventure

freedominphilly

Thanks for the input everyone.

The thing with the lights staying cool was something I already knew was a potential problem that was going to have to be dealt with. It's not a major fix by any means. 2 hours tops and I have existing ductwork for the additional exhaust for the lights. In fact I really dig cutting through that metal ducting with the Sawzall. So, no biggie.

As far as the electricity goes, I saw several of those Intermatic gray timer boxes that have a 40 amp capacity and a mechanical timer inside. Perhaps that's what will turn the lights on and off. If not and he goes and gets 9 digital timers for each outlet, I don't care, but I don't think that's going to be the case. As long as the lights are going on at the same time and staying on for 12 hours and staying off for 12 hours, I'm fine. I've done it before without a problem. And I certainly don't care what voltage they are running. I have an entire 20 amp breaker for each light, it's inefficient as fuck, but I know I won't burn anything down, so I don't care.

I have friends in the city that do way bigger grows in warehouses that are setup way more ghetto than this and pull it off just fine.

I've done 4k, 6k, and 10k (with 5 in 2 different rooms) before without any problem.

So this isn't my first time I've kicked off a bigger-than-personal-grow.

This is the first time, however, that I am not using an ac to cool things, and the first time I'm having air cooled hoods. So I have one adjustment from my original vision that needs to be made. It's no big deal. I haven't started flowering any plants in here yet, and I am not yet in any extreme hurry to do so.

My partner is in check. The room is almost in check. It hasn't been without it's bumps, but no project I've ever worked on has ever gone perfectly as planned, no matter how well planned out it is. It's almost ready go, though, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Stay tuned.

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
Cool. Everything sounds good. Those mechanicals can be pretty innacurate which might cause lights to go on and off at slightly different times, but everything should run the way you say it's set up. I hope you don't think I was trying to doubt your grow knowledge, you seem well-enough-versed. Just preparing you for your partner's role, is all. Anyways, I look forward to seeing things in full-flower, we're all very excited.

freedominphilly

Yeah I hear ya. As long as he can keep his paranoia in check for 10 or so more weeks (which I know he can), I'm 100% confident he's competent enough for this adventure.

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
i know you DONT want to hear it,,,but partner is nothing more than code word for problem

been down that road,,,will never do it again. rather take all the work and risk
and know im only one that KNOWS about it...

me and my boy who grew up together (16+years) was working a job. house was robbed, and we went at eachothers throat. end up finding it was his cousin. shit got reel durty reel quik. keep that in yer head. --BhT

freedominphilly

blackfoot said:
Cool man, Sounds like a stellar plan. You know who your dealing with more than we do I personally just don't trust anybody. I was wondering how tall you grew your bubba and how tall she finished, was it a SOG or a SCROG, peace

Aw shit man, sorry about that. I forgot about your question with all that discussion about the lights and stuff. My bad.

The bubba really doesn't stretch much at all, if I had to guess, I'd say she stretched 4 inches, tops. This was the first time I ran a bunch of her (well, 20, not a bunch I guess) under one light, and I was rather pleased. I flowered them when they were about 7-8 inches tall and supercropped them as much as I could to get exposure to lower branches. Normally I would trim the bottom shit off, but the bubba buds are so dense, even all the way down near the dirt, that I just left everything there and still doesn't look like I'll have that leafy, worthless crap at all.

C

cellardweller

ok Im sorry bout that, had ta leave for a bit..
I dont know much about the schematics of a grow like this, but with something of this size I would think that you would want to make absolutely certain that your partner is rock solid.
We have all been there when it's our first cycle comin down to harvest time and we get the heebie-jeebies..someone who isnt rock solid might not be able to take any heat if it ever went down that way..he may figure, "split the risk, split the profit, then split the punishment"...
Now in no way am I trying to put you out or anything like that but with what you've got involved just up your game of C.Y.A. a little.
Sit him down and make sure he understands EVERYTHING clearly. Be there to support him and to answer any questions he might have concerning your (and his) security.
Best wishes and +K to you both,
~cellard

High Jinks

Things got hot in here fast! About the room getting hot fast: I would run another line from your partner's intake box for a separate chain. Just like you said 4 and 5. But I suspect that 6" is not going to cut it--a 4" definitely wont. 4" of fan on 4k??:nono: For each line I would be looking into an 8" fan with 750+cfm. I doubt the 6" you have is putting anywhere near 720cfm what with all the bends and corners. I was thinking your fan could be running extra hot because you don't have enough intake so the motor is working extra hard "sucking." What if your partner made the intake behind the box the size of a mouse hole because he was paranoid someone would see it? Believe me, I am ALL for DIY improvisational grow room tech--this just needs some tweaking.
The electricity is a little wacky, but no sense in tearing it down to be more efficient if it works.
About the partner: Perhaps this guy (although surely a very nice man) is not the best guy to be working with on a project like this. He might have had location, or capitol, but clearly this kind of stress is more then he ever dealt with. I predict hilarity will ensue comparable to a well written big-score, get-rich-quick buddy movie. :lurk:

freedominphilly

I hooked up the 4" intake fan today. Bought another 6" fan to split the single line into two for the hood cooling and figured out a great way to get it all set up. So I'll be cutting into the ceiling and mounting that 6" tomorrow and fill in the rest of the light-leaks. I'm looking forward to turning all the lights on for a test run.

I'll have pictures and a test run report tomorrow.

freedominphilly

High Jinks said:
I predict hilarity will ensue comparable to a well written big-score, get-rich-quick buddy movie. :lurk:

Oh trust me man, your prediction has already shown true. Since I started him last July on just a couple lights and 40 or so plants, it's been a wild, wacky ride for sure.

We're having tons of fun and staying safe though. We've said a million times what a great script this whole thing would make.

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
freedominphilly said:
Oh trust me man, your prediction has already shown true. Since I started him last July on just a couple lights and 40 or so plants, it's been a wild, wacky ride for sure.

We're having tons of fun and staying safe though. We've said a million times what a great script this whole thing would make.

Staying safe. That's what I like to hear. Wish you all the best.

J

jaw

some paranoia never hurt anything. i was always a little paranoid with a grow, small or large. just tell him to hang in there and start planning a nice vacation after the harvest.

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
freedominphilly said:
I hooked up the 4" intake fan today. Bought another 6" fan to split the single line into two for the hood cooling and figured out a great way to get it all set up. So I'll be cutting into the ceiling and mounting that 6" tomorrow and fill in the rest of the light-leaks. I'm looking forward to turning all the lights on for a test run.

I'll have pictures and a test run report tomorrow.

wait wait wait wait::::

let me get this strait::: you got no a/c,,,,you got 2x6" blowers for 9k,,, and you only got a 4" intake???

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing::laughing:

hopefuly it is a cold winter for you,,,,,,,are you sure your ready for this????

freedominphilly

BiG H3rB Tr3E said:
wait wait wait wait::::

let me get this strait::: you got no a/c,,,,you got 2x6" blowers for 9k,,, and you only got a 4" intake???

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing::laughing:

hopefuly it is a cold winter for you,,,,,,,are you sure your ready for this????

And a 6" exhaust. I'm in the basement. 40-50 degrees evenings...I'll be just fine. Yesterday with no exhaust or intake running, just the fans for the lights, it only got up to 82 after 3 hours, during the hottest part of the day. With that 4 inch pulling in 40-50 degree air, I'm getting better cooling than probably 2 ACs.

So I lied, no pics today. But I did get the holes cut in the ceiling and and repositioned the exhaust and hung the new 6 inch for the hoods.

Today I filled in 99% of the light leaks and probably have about 2 more cans of GREAT STUFF-worth to finish it all up.

Tomorrow the timers will be hooked up and the rest of the light-leaks will be taken care of. We're also going mix up the Promix and perlite and Ph it with lime. The lights will stay on all night and we'll see how the temperature is in the morning. Anyone want to place bets on how cool/hot it will be??? I know I already have a couple doubters out there...

If all goes well, we'll get those 180 transplanted on Friday.

Last edited:
C

cellardweller

Good luck with your transplant freedom!
Im bettin 85-88 F. at least I hope!
peace,
~dwellard

freedominphilly

Yep, it's been a little while since I've updated. It's hard to come in front of a bunch of people and admit that things aren't going so well, especially after you've said repeatedly that things will be just fine. :badday:

So to everyone that had their doubts about my project: you were right.

Temps after the test run showed the room to be 100 degrees.

It looks like I'm gonna have to buy some more powerful fans.

Right now, I have a vortex 6" cooling 4 lights and an Eclipse 6" cooling the other 5. The Eclipse is a bit more powerful. I have an additional Eclipse 6" (625cfm) for exhaust and an Active Air 6" (305cfm) for intake. I had a 4" for the intake and the Active Air 6" was cooling the 4 light section.

I'm going to run another test tonight with the Active Air 6" in place for intake, rather than the 4" to see if that does anything, though I doubt it will do much.

Tomorrow I will go and buy more fans. I'm thinking 2x8" fans for the lights and a 10"-12" for exhaust, and moving the more powerful Eclipse 6" for intake. I'm stuck with the 6" hoods, so I'll have to just make do with that.

Any suggestions? I'm open, I promise.

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
freedominphilly said:
Yep, it's been a little while since I've updated. It's hard to come in front of a bunch of people and admit that things aren't going so well, especially after you've said repeatedly that things will be just fine. :badday:

So to everyone that had their doubts about my project: you were right.

Temps after the test run showed the room to be 100 degrees.

It looks like I'm gonna have to buy some more powerful fans.

Right now, I have a vortex 6" cooling 4 lights and an Eclipse 6" cooling the other 5. The Eclipse is a bit more powerful. I have an additional Eclipse 6" (625cfm) for exhaust and an Active Air 6" (305cfm) for intake. I had a 4" for the intake and the Active Air 6" was cooling the 4 light section.

I'm going to run another test tonight with the Active Air 6" in place for intake, rather than the 4" to see if that does anything, though I doubt it will do much.

Tomorrow I will go and buy more fans. I'm thinking 2x8" fans for the lights and a 10"-12" for exhaust, and moving the more powerful Eclipse 6" for intake. I'm stuck with the 6" hoods, so I'll have to just make do with that.

Any suggestions? I'm open, I promise.
Its all good man. At least you didn't get embarrassed and abandon the thread entirely. That would have been lame. Now you need to double you fan power and make sure your intake can keep up with it all. Didn't you say before that you have a lung room with its own intake? Maybe throw a window AC in your lung room?

freedominphilly

MarquisBlack said:
Didn't you say before that you have a lung room with its own intake? Maybe throw a window AC in your lung room?

I'm not sure what you mean by lung room, but I was going to be pulling fresh air from the bedroom above the growroom, I'm guessing that's what you meant.

That was a failure the first night for me because the entire house was heated to about 87 degrees, including the room where the intake was being drawn from. All of the heat from the lights is being ventilated throughout the house. I really had no idea they would heat the entire house that much. Obviously, no matter how cool the lights are, if 87 degree air is being drawn in, none of that is doing me any good whatsoever.

So we decided to bring air directly from the outside via that 4" (172cfm). Mind you, our exhaust fan is rated at 605cfm. Seems logical, I suppose, right? The room is ~ 1550 cu ft, so air is getting exhausted completely once every 2-3 minutes, with the intake bringing in nice, 45 degree air.

Well, again we had 100 degree temps in the grow room. The temp of the entire house was 86. Then I realized (fine, call me a newb at growroom design, but I never had problems when I used A/Cs ;)) that there was quite a reasonable amount of suction going on in the room, since the exhaust was considerably more than the intake, thus causing that 86 degree air from the house to sucked in through the floor and other places the air can flow, into the grow.

So. I increased the intake to 306 cfm, got more powerful fans to cool the lights, and we opened the door to the attic, hoping the warm air will rise up through the attic and out of the house. We think that will get our temps down to maybe 90-95. Our next step is to install an attic fan to exhaust all the hot air up through the attic door and out of the top of the house.

If we can keep the main part of the house somewhere in the low to mid 70's and keep the negative air pressure in the growroom to a minimum, we are thinking we should be ok. The lights are all cool to the touch, except for the last one which is warm at most. I think the light temperature is fine. I honestly believe that the warm air in the house is just being sucked back into the growroom and fucking us all up.

We'll see how it goes. Worse case scenario, I upgrade all of my fans. There's absolutely no way this can't be done with the colder weather we have going on now.

Which leads me to a question. If I go with an 8" or larger fan, and exhausting into a 6" duct, will I be losing a very significant amount of efficiency from the fan? Or will the benefits I reap outweigh the loss?

Thanks for reading.

freedominphilly

exciting update

exciting update

I walked into the house today and immediately went to check the house temperature - 79 degrees. Quickly went down into the growroom and found the temperature to be - 87 degrees!!!

That's after a full 12 hours of running. Opening the attic door helped immensely. Getting the attic fan up there should help bring the temps down even further.

I'm getting there. I knew it would be a challenge, but this past week and a half has been pretty much pure hell. I got new wheels yesterday, so having transportation will be a HUGE help.

Stay tuned, it's gonna get good, I promise.

Latest posts

Latest posts