What's new

My 9k Adventure

C

cellardweller

Im here, I dont have time for a real reply right now, but I will b back...

I think you'd be far better off with a huge fan & plenum, or multiple fans for multiple inlines. Either way, inline for that many lights just isn't a great idea IMO.

Do those hoods have 8" AC flanges, or 6"?

Any particular reason you chose to go with 120v instead of 240v on the lights?

Last edited:

freedominphilly

George W Kush said:
I think you'd be far better off with a huge fan & plenum, or multiple fans for multiple inlines. Either way, inline for that many lights just isn't a great idea IMO.

Do those hoods have 8" AC flanges, or 6"?

Any particular reason you chose to go with 120v instead of 240v on the lights?

Not a great idea because of how hot the fan pulling the air gets? That's my main concern. Temps in the room are fine otherwise. I just don't want that fan to stop working because it's housing gets too hot or whatever else, if that's a possibility.

They are 6 in. ducts. If I added several 125cfm booster fans throughout my duct to help pull more cool air, faster, that should help, no?

I didn't decide on the voltage, because my knowledge of electricity and wiring is very limited. Basically I said, "Here's what I need to grow the plants, please wire the stuff so I don't burn shit down ;)"

freedominphilly said:
Not a great idea because of how hot the fan pulling the air gets?
Not only that, but also as you've witnessed, each reflector down the line gets hotter and hotter. This means more convected heat going into your room. Not only that, the added turbulence from each hood in-line and each turn (especially the U-turn's) take a lot of efficiency out of the ductwork.

I personally think those duct booster fans are worthless for the solution you're looking for. If anything, another inline centrifugal fan at pushing at the other end; but not those induct boosters.

freedominphilly

George W Kush said:
If anything, another inline centrifugal fan at pushing at the other end; but not those induct boosters.

That was going to be the next thing I proposed actually. I have another 6" Eclipse fan, I think it's rated at 625cfm. Putting that at the beginning of the line would, you think, help?

BTW, I really appreciate the input and your time.

I think it will help, but don't feel that it will solve the problem... IMHO running that many lights inline, especially with 6" ducting, is a bad design. I think even 5 lights is pushing it, but doable if you have a big enough fan.

Are those Radiant's? Was an 8" model available?

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
George W Kush said:
I think it will help, but don't feel that it will solve the problem... IMHO running that many lights inline, especially with 6" ducting, is a bad design. I think even 5 lights is pushing it, but doable if you have a big enough fan.

Are those Radiant's? Was an 8" model available?

I was actually going to suggest just splitting the system in half. Maybe run 5 lights on the 727cfm 6" and 4 on the 625cfm?

Actually, one more question: how do you time those lights? 9 separate timers?

Was the electrician aware that the bulk of the draw could be run on 240v?

freedominphilly

Two cycles ago I ran 5 lights all in one line, pulling existing air from the room through a canfan filter, and the last light in the line was as warm as the first light, and the fan was also just as warm and it never got close to being hot. I anticipated the last several lights to obviously get warmer in the 9 light scenario, but not as hot, since I wasn't pulling through a filter and I was also getting cooler air.

Perhaps it is a bad design. I just hope it isn't a failing design. I have to work with what's available to me in terms of existing ductwork in the house. And I'm not sure I can afford a bigboy 12" fan at the moment, as I got into my car this morning to find that it sounded and ran like complete shit, undrivable for the most part.

I'll add the other 6 inch fan to the beginning of the line and hope that works.

freedominphilly

George W Kush said:
Actually, one more question: how do you time those lights? 9 separate timers?

Was the electrician aware that the bulk of the draw could be run on 240v?

I don't know, and I don't know. I know next to nothing about electricity :confused:.

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
freedominphilly said:
I don't know, and I don't know. I know next to nothing about electricity :confused:.

Fair enough. Worth looking into, though. If you can run your lights on a 240v circuit it will cut your amperage in half. But you'll need a 240v timer or a 240v relay. Talk to your partner about it.

freedominphilly

MarquisBlack said:
Fair enough. Worth looking into, though. If you can run your lights on a 240v circuit it will cut your amperage in half. But you'll need a 240v timer or a 240v relay. Talk to your partner about it.
Will do. Will we need like a dryer plug type outlet for them or something?

I just went out for a cigarette and was thinking about what I have for existing duct work in the house. I think I actually will be able to do 2 separate lines, 4 lights and 5 lights. It should be as simple as adding another fan, cutting into the ceiling some more, and cutting another hole in that box for the fresh air.

Thanks a lot for your input GWK and MarquisBlack. I really appreciate it.

robbiedublu

Aren't the ballasts voltage specific also? To switch to 240v he'd have to replace everything. I'm no electrical pro by any means but I don't understand the advantage of running 240. Half the amps but double the volts, same difference no?

robbiedublu said:
Aren't the ballasts voltage specific also?
Some are, some aren't. Most aren't. 99.99% of the magnetic ballasts that I've seen are at least dual-voltage, if not multi-tap.

robbiedublu said:
To switch to 240v he'd have to replace everything.
Wrong. No. Some you do, some you don't. It would have been a lot cheaper, easier, and better to start with 240v than rig up 9 separate 120v.

In his case with these XtraSun's, just unplug the power cord, flip the cover, and plug the new power cord into the 240v outlet. How do you think I knew he had it set up for 120v?

What exactly is "everything"?

robbiedublu said:
I'm no electrical pro by any means but I don't understand the advantage of running 240. Half the amps but double the volts, same difference no?
No.

The total pull is near identical (minus the inefficiencies of an unbalanced load), but it's not quite the same. There are key differences that most people don't see right away in the two setups. With a 120v setup like this, you're likely dealing with as many timers as there are lights. More wiring (= more installation $$), less flexibility.

More complication = more hassle = more problem.

~~~

I don't mean to sound rude, so please try not to take it that way. But at the beginning of the thread I thought "wow! this guy really got this business down!" Now I'm wondering, hmm... :confused:

Is your partnership deal something like... other guy's in charge of room / facilities, you're in charge of plants? How did you set up the last room? Same partner?

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
This isn't looking so great...

Not being a negative Nancy or anything, but I'm in the same boat as GWK. You have a little bit of homework to do before you kick this thing into full gear. I know electricity isn't everyone's "thing", but you're messing with alot of power here, and while your partner may be knowleadgable about the things that you are not, you need to know the basics of how an everyday electrical system functions, just like your partner needs to know the basics of growing. (IE light cycles, etc.)

Y

yamaha_1fan

If the ballasts are installed and all the electrical is wired up, there is no point in rewiring everything to to 240.

I would put a fan pushing at the beginning of the ducts to help.

If you and your partner are breaking up, will the grow be moving? If so, you may not want to do anything.

Its getting cooler out and that room will start staying cooler. My room would get to 90 in the peak of summer. Not much I can do about it. But now its maintaining a nice temp as its not 100 outside

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
Don't get the wrong idea, freedominphilly. We're not trying to tear you down or anything. But if you're going to kick off a 9kw, you're gonna have to dot the i's and cross the t's, if you will. I'd hate to see your partner flake out and leave you with half the knowledge you need to see your first harvest in this system.