What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mullumbimby Madness from OZ

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey RC_Colas, thanks for documenting this. :)

is actually a Purple Highland Lao hand collected by Bohdi from the Muang Sing tribe. I will be starting a seperate Thread for those soon.
Please post a link here when you do start another thread - love to follow along with that as well!

Best wishes for a trouble-free grow! :plant grow:

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Very nice bro, good luck with your new MM project... I've read that both MullumMadman's MM and Kanga's MM were hermie prone besides the quality.

I've received some local heirloom seeds from Kyogle, close to Nimbin in AUS. A guy was growing those for years and said they were pretty productive. Looking forward to test those and preserve them... great plants as some of the best aussie sativas came from that area too.

Peace.

RC_Colas

Veteran
MM Flowering Initiated...

MM Flowering Initiated...

Hola Sativa Fans,

I triggered flowering of the MM's two weeks ago and will post pics soon. They have stretched quickly and are starting to show solid onset of calyx develpoment:)

Saludos

RC_Colas

B

BAKED_BEANZ

Very nice bro, good luck with your new MM project... I've read that both MullumMadman's MM and Kanga's MM were hermie prone besides the quality.

I've received some local heirloom seeds from Kyogle, close to Nimbin in AUS. A guy was growing those for years and said they were pretty productive. Looking forward to test those and preserve them... great plants as some of the best aussie sativas came from that area too.

Peace.

the plants down that way get hermi prone , as on the big sativa in larger patches its very easy to miss a lower branch with flowers / plus the patches are remote so access to the plants is minimal a lot of the time so they are missed until the visit to the location . so then the seeds used for the next season by someone who got some seeds in there weed , not knowing it was a hermi and assumed it was a male that may have blown .

then they get a hermi and sell there weed with light amount seed through it , circle go,s round and round . been going on for years . seeds were hard to acquire at one stage down there for some people not in the know . any seeds found of good weed were more than likely used , so a lot of hermi seed got planted .

if these were bred correctly there won't be many issues i wouldn't think . i,m actually surprised to hear kanga,s were hermi prone .

Last edited:

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran

Peace.

G`day Musta

I have heard a report of seeds that originated from Kanga herming indoors .
Those seeds were bag seeds or testers . Not necessary the stuff he was breeding .
They were not labeled . So its a guessing game in late flower / harvest to put a name to them .

If the seeds come from Kyogle .
A very strong possibility they come from Kog originally ...
Any mention of Old Mother Sativa ? They are known to herm .

Let it be known ; Nimbin and surrounding areas have a rep Globally for herb . The rest of Oz grows as good if not better herb . But keep their mouths shut .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
I have heard a report of seeds that originated from Kanga herming indoors .
Those seeds were bag seeds or testers . Not necessary the stuff he was breeding .
They were not labeled . So its a guessing game in late flower / harvest to put a name to them .

If the seeds come from Kyogle .
A very strong possibility they come from Kog originally ...
Any mention of Old Mother Sativa ? They are known to herm .

Let it be known ; Nimbin and surrounding areas have a rep Globally for herb . The rest of Oz grows as good if not better herb . But keep their mouths shut .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Hi mate... I guess it's worth it to keep an eye over this kind of genetics due to their nature. I'm speaking from what others have shared anyway.

From what I've found out those Kyogle seeds could have been sourced by Bushy so we'll see. I hear you on the fame...

I've had the chance to speak with 20'Thai a bit on the Mullums and mentioned how Mullum Madman obtained a batch of very old MM seeds from Kog after he had a big deal to sell those besides the poor germination. Later 20'Thai himself was cleaning them up, breeding a bit and sharing this strain with other friends from that time.

He also mentioned that Kanga's Mullums were much better than Kog's old Mullums, because many years of bad practice and storage compromised the quality. Apparently Kog didn't have idea about hermies, breeding or preserving strains. He just gave the seeds out because they weren't good croppers and flowered for too long.

Anyway big respect to 20Thai and Kanga for their work with the MM though, both are two great aussie growers and respected members from our community.

Looking forward to see those MMs as well. ;)

Peace.

Elmer Bud

Veteran
G`day RC , Musta

Because that region is famed for cannabis growing and the Mardi Grass Festival it gets a lot of attention from Police .

The Gov in that State has a large budget to fund Helicopters for the months of the Summer growing season .

Not all States or regions use helicopters ...

Thanks for sharin

EB .

bushweed

Veteran
Hi RC, best of luck with your MM grow man, usually these would be the biggest plants in the garden, but if you have some Hmong Thai and Laos, then they might seem more manageable in comparison. Looking forward to seeing how they all turn out.

Hola Musta, I have to tell you that I haven't seen, nor heard of any of Kanga's MM lines throwing hermi tendencies before, perhaps due to Kanga's practice of stress testing all his plants. There have been instances of hermis in some outcrosses from myself and Nevil, I think Nevil saw some pistils late in a flowering male MMxThai78 or MMxNHz, but I encountered a similar hermi from one of his Thai78xNHz, which might best indicate where the culprit was.

As for myself I may have made crosses using hermi lines (BLB Thai and Nimbin purple Thai for instance), which is absolutely beyond fucken reproach. But in both cases I was unaware of the issue...

Intersexual expression is an interesting topic with tropical lines, and if you read Sam's early writing as Jingles in the late 70s he observes that if you plant haze in March in California, you will get 4 females in 10 plants, whereas if you plant haze in May/June you will get 6 females in 10 plants. This suggests a level of inherent sexual fluidity in a percentage of sativas, and may explain why many tropical lines express intersexual tendencies when transplanted to temperate or indoor environments, which they deem as threatening to their survival.

This idea of sexual fluidity in tropical lines, ties in with my own observations and in fact for the first time this year I planted a number of feminized seeds (along with tropical regulars), and 90% of the tropicals turned male. That could be explicable as random happenstance, but I've never seen less than 70% females in tropical regulars in my environment before.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Hola Musta, I have to tell you that I haven't seen, nor heard of any of Kanga's MM lines throwing hermi tendencies before, perhaps due to Kanga's practice of stress testing all his plants. There have been instances of hermis in some outcrosses from myself and Nevil, I think Nevil saw some pistils late in a flowering male MMxThai78 or MMxNHz, but I encountered a similar hermi from one of his Thai78xNHz, which might best indicate where the culprit was.

Hey matey... great to see you around! Thanks for the first hand info, maybe I've mistaken both Mullum strains then. You know them better than anyone else after all! Let's speak soon bro!

I hope you guys don't mind if I'm sharing a few pics that MullumMadman posted at Cannabisworld back in the days from his MM plants:

Anyway all i'm saying is that from what my dad says the strain i call MM is not pure thai...nor pure anything...but a mix of different strains that have been grown in the area over the years.It has turned out to be pretty consistent in terms of growth structure.and potency..notice my strain has the Pine Tree structure...well they would if we didn't chuck concrete reo mesh to hold the buggers down.I'd say unrestrained they would get to 20ft easy but I've not grown this strain like that.I'll post some picks of some 15ft+ monsters next week when i get em developed.They are indo sativa's grown out Nimbin way by a mate and his dad.Very impressive smoke...almost acrid smelling shit..lime green heads covered in resin.Big plants but these babies take a lot longer than my dads strain.

Dad also says people have always referred to the dope from Mullum as madness.He does not believe there is any one single strain that can lay claim to be the certified Mullumbimby Madness....as it was just a general term used to describe high quality grass grown around the region.There is quite a variety of strains grown here and while many would have common genes they are still different.I call my herb Mullumbimby Madness as i grew up in the region...thats what dad and his mates have always called it etc.I dont lay claim to being the keeper of anything but a high quality sativa that produces large yields outdoors when grown properly.I think they are valuable genetics but that is only my opinion. That is why i have sent my seeds to various breeders.I can never produce seed on a commercial scale and do the strain justice.The most i could accomplish is a few lots on Cbay.Only Breeders such as yourself and Breeder Steve etc can achieve the results you talk of.

Call it madness...call it bushbud....whatever its called it still an amazing strain.

MullumMadman

6lbsofmadness.jpg

madnessinbloom.jpg

barge8.jpg

barge6x.jpg

He was speaking as well about the Nimbin Gold, allegedly an indonesian strain sourced from Lake Toba in Sumatra, during a surf trip to Nias.

bigsativapatch2.jpg

Peace.

Manivelle

Veteran
This idea of sexual fluidity in tropical lines, ties in with my own observations and in fact for the first time this year I planted a number of feminized seeds (along with tropical regulars), and 90% of the tropicals turned male. That could be explicable as random happenstance, but I've never seen less than 70% females in tropical regulars in my environment before.
wow !! you should try to do it again next year to investigate.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I think theres something to be said about the age of the plant with these types ,
when triggered too early to flower , they can show some male flowers,
but when sexually mature , they seem fine ..

I grew a bunch in my gardens over the years , not mm exactly ,, but similar sativa types , the ones that flowered early sometimes showed male flowers ,,
cut back and grown again , the same plant showed no male flowers at all ...

Elmer Bud

Veteran
G`day Bushie

Recent times we have seen the mega gardens in Cali .
25 plants = 600 pounds .

Plants in enormous pots of specially mixed soil ,irrigation, out in full sun and long Cali summer days .

Can only imagine what some of the old school Geurilla strains from our youth would do in similar conditions .

I used to think 2-3 pounds was a monster till I started seeing double and tripple sized on teh net .

Thing is its not Cookies / OG / Deezal . So probably wouldn`t be much market for it . lol .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

amanda88

Hola ICmag Community,

I have been gifted some pure Mullumbimby Madness seeds direct from OZ and thought it only fitting that I provide a grow show of this outstanding strain! Many thanks go out to the KIND soul who has entrusted me with these fine genetics, so pull up a chair and watch the show:woohoo:

Here they are after about 6 weeks of veg, the potted one was first out of the gate and has really taken to the upgrade container...

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=66811&pictureid=1587351View Image

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=66811&pictureid=1587352View Image

and the 2 trays that will be transplanted this weekend:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=66811&pictureid=1587354View Image

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=66811&pictureid=1587353View Image

Surely there will be some males in the mix for preservation sake.

Saludos

RC_Colas

Don't know the M-Madness, check this out and compare ..as I do know the Nanan-Bouclou

http://www.southernstarseeds.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=82

cheers/

Lesnah

The Nanan-Bouclou is my bread and butter. Just started curing my first little plant.

Smells of Lemony Guava with a flowery undertone.

RC_Colas

Veteran
Hola Amigos,

Here is a pictorial update of the MM's at 3 weeks forced flower, all plants are 6ft in pots, which are helping control these tiger!

First up is one of 6 Ladies...all are outstanding specimens of tropical staivas:

RC_Colas

Veteran
MM Update continued...

MM Update continued...

Here are the selected males for the next generation...let the magic begin!

Stay tuned as we get further into flowering and closer to harvest of these gems!!!!

Saludos

PS.: Thanks Musta for the related pics, bushy for providing some history, and everyone for your comments.