What's new

Mosaic Virus in Cannabis pics

vince514

seeker of greater knowledge
Veteran
:dunno:
I'm pretty sure it's mocaic I seen some 50+ plants die a few months back. They were my buddys and he ended up scrapping the grow . Alot didn't show until flowering. I just dumped my plants because I didn't want to waste time. Picking up new clones today and starting over virus free

so L2H your friend had to scrap the whole grow???..

do you know it the virus infected the surrounding plants??

could pruning slow down the virus.......im new to this sort of problem and im learning as i go.....ifirst noticed the virus on the MM#2 plants (the mothers 3 of them) but the clones don't seem to have the virus i've checked rigorously throught my whole garden of 50+ plants and 4 little ones i had to scrap .......i neemed all the girls and it appears that its not spreading , but sometimes the eye decives.....im gonna do all i can to keep them relatively healthy until i harvest in 6 weeks i hope they can make that long........:wallbash:

J

jim_browsky

:dunno:

so L2H your friend had to scrap the whole grow???..

do you know it the virus infected the surrounding plants??

could pruning slow down the virus.......im new to this sort of problem and im learning as i go.....ifirst noticed the virus on the MM#2 plants (the mothers 3 of them) but the clones don't seem to have the virus i've checked rigorously throught my whole garden of 50+ plants and 4 little ones i had to scrap .......i neemed all the girls and it appears that its not spreading , but sometimes the eye decives.....im gonna do all i can to keep them relatively healthy until i harvest in 6 weeks i hope they can make that long........:wallbash:

Vince- Love2herb has no experience with the virus. A few posts back he asked:
Someone please look at the thread I posted in this section and tell me if my plants have the virus. It's bothering the he'll out of me.

Vince- The only way to control this is to have your environment
completely dialed in, otherwise forget it. IME I have found that
lower buds on plants affected with this virus, will get "burnt out"
w/o sufficient light. I trim everything under the canopy and try
not to stress them, even by topping or messing with nute/water
cycle. Any little stress could trigger it. Good luck Vince! If you are
not dependent on that plant, get her out of there.

And what's up with this?
It's possible you have more than one issue - your second picture looks a lot like some posted in another thread, with the id being broad mites.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=151522&highlight=broad+mites

How did you come to this conclusion? Did you skip to the last
page and not read anything else? Sativafganman says so and that's that?

This thread has become virtually useless. Take it down as a sticky so people won't keep adding a bunch of BS to it.

Albertine

Vince- Love2herb has no experience with the virus. A few posts back he asked:

Vince- The only way to control this is to have your environment
completely dialed in, otherwise forget it. IME I have found that
lower buds on plants affected with this virus, will get "burnt out"
w/o sufficient light. I trim everything under the canopy and try
not to stress them, even by topping or messing with nute/water
cycle. Any little stress could trigger it. Good luck Vince! If you are
not dependent on that plant, get her out of there.

And what's up with this?

How did you come to this conclusion? Did you skip to the last
page and not read anything else? Sativafganman says so and that's that?

This thread has become virtually useless. Take it down as a sticky so people won't keep adding a bunch of BS to it.

Did you look at the second picture? Do you see how the edges at the base of the leaves are curling in? That's what I am referring to. Did you read my use of the words 'it's possible'? Does that sound like a firm conclusion?
All I'm saying is take a look - sounds like you are coming to a conclusion that leaves out the possibility that SAman could be right. Surely he could have a couple things going on at the same time.

I've read this thread through, as I have a strain that is showing variegation. Don't remember anything about what he's describing in the second picture. If I missed it, perhaps you could point it out to me?

J

jim_browsky

All I'm saying is take a look - sounds like you are coming to a conclusion that leaves out the possibility that SAman could be right. Surely he could have a couple things going on at the same time.

I've read this thread through, as I have a strain that is showing variegation. Don't remember anything about what he's describing in the second picture. If I missed it, perhaps you could point it out to me?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=3472706&postcount=55

oldog

Jim: " This thread has become virtually useless. Take it down as a sticky so people won't keep adding a bunch of BS to it."
Hear ! Hear ! I tried to close mine but its still going.

Cant somebody find a weedhead university botany professor to solve this ?

First- lets stop calling every suspected virus 'mosaic' or ' tobacco'

I see two types here - the crinkly leaf type like I had that took over the entire plant/s
in 10 days or so. This had no lateral hooking of the leaf or the variegated, mottled discoloration of the leaf- that seems to be a different type. There may be more but these two are what we are seeing.

Vince, since no one knows anything, if I was in your shoes I would prune all parts that
look infected and just my gut feeling- put a dab of hot candle wax on the cut areas.
Get rid of all insects- not even one ! Spray again with Nem especially under the leaves, and Pyrethryn bomb -no fan for one hour.
Probably the disease is like a cancer in humans that spreads to the entire body/plant after a while but if you remove the infected part/s early maybe you slow it down enough to get some buds off it.
By the way -what did those dried up leaves look like before they dried up ?

Good luck.

PS: Guys , please stop hitting Quote and reposted all the darn huge photos in every post.
Cut and Paste !

Albertine

My apologies for not being thorough in my referencing. The inward curling and mention of speckles sounds so much like an insect infestation I jumped to conclusions.

And now for more uninformed opinions! As a person who has gardened outside for many years, albeit without the life and death focus that seems demanded when dealing with a monocrop with high cost overhead, I second the statement by Oldog that there are lots of viruses that show up in lots of ways. An area I lived in for a while had their peach trees wiped out, by slowly losing their vigor and shortening their life span, by a virus they called Western X, spread by leafhoppers. Roses are notorious for being sold with mosaic virus, spread by grafting onto infected rootstocks, but is not looked at as contagious otherwise.
What I'm getting at is the same conclusion - lots of different viruses out there that show up in different ways with different levels of virulence and infectious ability. We really need a good reference book with lots of pictures.

In the meantime, if Lovetoherb would take a 30x to those curled in leaves and see if he sees anything moving....

here's another thread with google images of mites - same curled leaves - perhaps they transmit a virus?

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=177574

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=177574

vince514

Veteran
Jim: " This thread has become virtually useless. Take it down as a sticky so people won't keep adding a bunch of BS to it."
Hear ! Hear ! I tried to close mine but its still going.

Cant somebody find a weedhead university botany professor to solve this ?

First- lets stop calling every suspected virus 'mosaic' or ' tobacco'

I see two types here - the crinkly leaf type like I had that took over the entire plant/s
in 10 days or so. This had no lateral hooking of the leaf or the variegated, mottled discoloration of the leaf- that seems to be a different type. There may be more but these two are what we are seeing.

Vince, since no one knows anything, if I was in your shoes I would prune all parts that
look infected and just my gut feeling- put a dab of hot candle wax on the cut areas.
Get rid of all insects- not even one ! Spray again with Nem especially under the leaves, and Pyrethryn bomb -no fan for one hour.
Probably the disease is like a cancer in humans that spreads to the entire body/plant after a while but if you remove the infected part/s early maybe you slow it down enough to get some buds off it.
By the way -what did those dried up leaves look like before they dried up ?

Good luck.

PS: Guys , please stop hitting Quote and reposted all the darn huge photos in every post.
Cut and Paste !

well i already remover ALL infected parts on the plants that i noticed problems with, and i gave a really good covering of neem to the girls a few days ago and since them i havent noticed ANY thrips ( i looked throughly through the garden every day since the virus started popping up) the spreading seems to be slowing down at the moment but it still bothers me that i have this problem....i will take your advice oldog and i'll give em another spraying of neem oil...
as for pruning well if and when more pops up i will for sure discard any infected parts on the plants.........

oh btw thanks for your effort on helping me out i appriciate it bro..:tiphat:

vince514

Veteran
My apologies for not being thorough in my referencing. The inward curling and mention of speckles sounds so much like an insect infestation I jumped to conclusions.

And now for more uninformed opinions! As a person who has gardened outside for many years, albeit without the life and death focus that seems demanded when dealing with a monocrop with high cost overhead, I second the statement by Oldog that there are lots of viruses that show up in lots of ways. An area I lived in for a while had their peach trees wiped out, by slowly losing their vigor and shortening their life span, by a virus they called Western X, spread by leafhoppers. Roses are notorious for being sold with mosaic virus, spread by grafting onto infected rootstocks, but is not looked at as contagious otherwise.
What I'm getting at is the same conclusion - lots of different viruses out there that show up in different ways with different levels of virulence and infectious ability. We really need a good reference book with lots of pictures.

In the meantime, if Lovetoherb would take a 30x to those curled in leaves and see if he sees anything moving....

here's another thread with google images of mites - same curled leaves - perhaps they transmit a virus?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=177574

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=177574

well i dont have mites i had some spider mites about 2 1/2 years ago at another house ,but my room's are squeeky clean and i never had these problems before due to bugs of any sort....
And as far as viruses go ..there's plenty of different varities that effect certain plants its just a matter of finding out if its really tmv or another ind of mosaic virus.......i'd put the plants outside like sam the skunkman mantioned but where i live thats not possible......
im not gonna take this one lightly and im gonna do whatever i can to get through this one..........thank you all for your support through this rough time.....:tiphat:

Albertine

Sorry for the mix up in names Vince. Did you look with a 30x scope? These mites are smaller than spider mites - the guy that posted said he didn't see them without a scope.
You know, the more I look at your pictures the more it looks like you have more than one thing happening - the dead areas on the buds which looks like a type of wilt or virus, then the thing with the rolled leaf edges that looks like the mite photo, then the lower leaves that have the dead areas which look like...? lots to choose from here...

What symptoms are you still seeing spreading to other plants?

vince514

Veteran
Sorry for the mix up in names Vince. Did you look with a 30x scope? These mites are smaller than spider mites - the guy that posted said he didn't see them without a scope.
You know, the more I look at your pictures the more it looks like you have more than one thing happening - the dead areas on the buds which looks like a type of wilt or virus, then the thing with the rolled leaf edges that looks like the mite photo, then the lower leaves that have the dead areas which look like...? lots to choose from here...

What symptoms are you still seeing spreading to other plants?

well the same symptoms persist on the effected areas browning bud sites and the slight curling of the leafs . i only had 1 single plant that showed the lines on the leaves

this plant was heavly effected so i chopped her and tossed her along with the damm pot she was growing in ....

atm the most effected plant is one of my MM#2's its the most auto flowerong plant of the 3 i have running .(the moms and clones were ment for outdoor but there was alot of screw ups so i said fuck it.)

anyway the plant's lower buds were the most hit with whatever i have goin on in there , so i removed all the brown stuff ,and now i can see the calyx's at the lowest internodal axel turning brown ..so it leaves me with the thought that i'm in for more of this before the run is over..... all i can do is keep watch and remove the infected plant parts....hopefully it dosen't spread too fast or i'll have nothing left...

Limeygreen

Veteran
I had heard from someone at the university of Mississippi that ToMV or TMV wasn't encountered on cannabis that they had heard of, it could be something as simple as blight or as complicated as alfafa mosaic virus

vince514

Veteran
I appriciate the advice LimeyGreen but just beacuse They never heard of it dosen't mean that it dosen't exsist...im not saying anything negative towards the university its just there's alot of people growing ... and anything's possible im not saying its tmv for sure because i haven't tested any tissue samples ...whatever it is its scary shit

opt1c

Veteran
i've had the TMV like symptoms before on cuts i've picked up from clubs and whatnot... usually very common on a ecsd pheno that floats around my part of cali... thing is it's never jumped mothers in the tent; never did it spread from one plant to any of my others.... ended up tossing the plant cuz it was hermi prone.... the tmv symptoms could just b and example of weak genetics; toss em and get some new genetics if it scares u so much

i really don't think tmv is going to jump species genus... seems more like an issue the plant has processing chlorophyl or something to that effect

vince514

Veteran
i've had the TMV like symptoms before on cuts i've picked up from clubs and whatnot... usually very common on a ecsd pheno that floats around my part of cali... thing is it's never jumped mothers in the tent; never did it spread from one plant to any of my others.... ended up tossing the plant cuz it was hermi prone.... the tmv symptoms could just b and example of weak genetics; toss em and get some new genetics if it scares u so much

i really don't think tmv is going to jump species genus... seems more like an issue the plant has processing chlorophyl or something to that effect

a plant virus would transfer from one to another . i know i'm seeing it happen right before my eyes ...like i said previously i never had these problems before (look at my albums) this year is the first year im doing a veggie garden in the back that has cucumbers ,tomatoes eggplant ,raspberries , celery and red and yellow peppers.......

maybe its possible that something made its way in to the room some how , because this is the first year im doing this and its also the first time i EVERY had problems.......

and it is possible for viruses to spread to different plant species even if the impossible occures.......

the symptoms have began to slow down a bit i've been keeping an eye on the temps and rh to make things are steady and not to stress them too much......

thanks for the imput optic

Albertine

You know I think you are on to something with your veggies as a possible cause for the browning and dying. (Still think the curling could be something else)
Here's a link to a page of pictures of verticillium wilt. It's really common and it seems possible that cannabis could be affected also.
As far as cures go, most people growing vegetables look for resistant varieties. Optimum health can help.

http://www.google.com/images?q=vert...&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1066&bih=597

Some viruses transfer easily and some don't - just like in people.

olsmokey

You are right, it can transfer to many plants. Have been doing a bit of reading on this myself. Transfer only by contact with infection - ie tools, your hands, pots, and insects, Bleach alone does not kill, boiling soapy water soak for all tools, wash hand before touching plant, use milk on hands when transplanting...

There is also Tom mosaic, cucumber mosaic, and alfalfa..plus Hemp streak, and they go to other plants...not all plants, but they do cross over...

OK, heres the good bit: from my reading the virus is unable to replicate outside the cell, but in the plant cell, the theory goes, the low calcium in the cell makes the virus proteins or summat repel each other, they burst away and infect the cell..

I just bought a product called soft guard by travena. Contains chitosan which is made from crab shells etc, so high in calcium, is claiming to help plant resist viruses by strengthening cell walls, and working like a vaccine as CHitosan is a large part of viruses, so the plant reacts to the chitosan in soft guard by building up its defences...

Anyway, this to my mind goes well with the old fashioned milk theory.. that has been proved to help plants resist..

If you can keep insects away the rest is controllable.. Im pretty sure mine was spread by fungus gnat.

Cleaning up areas and not growing any veggies nearby helps keep insect nos down. Will be using neem as insect repellant. It only takes one bite to infect the plant..Do not replant in same soil..of course! Don't compost infected plants or soil..

Also, from what I read the symptoms do slow down. When the virus gets in the plant is forced to help the virus to replicate instead of itself..but growth resumes after 2 weeks or so.. but the virus does not go away, reduced yield, etc etc...

a plant virus would transfer from one to another . i know i'm seeing it happen right before my eyes ...like i said previously i never had these problems before (look at my albums) this year is the first year im doing a veggie garden in the back that has cucumbers ,tomatoes eggplant ,raspberries , celery and red and yellow peppers.......

maybe its possible that something made its way in to the room some how , because this is the first year im doing this and its also the first time i EVERY had problems.......

and it is possible for viruses to spread to different plant species even if the impossible occures.......

the symptoms have began to slow down a bit i've been keeping an eye on the temps and rh to make things are steady and not to stress them too much......

thanks for the imput optic

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
Looks like my garden is infected via thrips. All of my plants have thrip damage, while only recent clones have virus symptoms. I've removed those where I'm seeing symptoms. I drenched with AzaMax today, but I think it's too late insofar as spreading to other plants.

I'm going to finish up my current flower grow and hope for the best. I'll use these genetics as long as possible, remove any virus infected plants and then clean the cab completely and restart from seed...

God this sucks. Thanks for this post!

Love2herb

It is a real virus I seen it ruin a few grows. It is the only thing that can explain the problem. These guys grew for years and never a problem until this.

Latest posts

Latest posts